With plentiful wildlife and otherworldly landscapes, traveling to rural Australia is the definition of adventure. And there’s no better place to embrace the beauty of the outback than the remote town of Alice Springs!
Hikes will take you into the surrounding canyons and secluded water holes in the desert. Grab a bike and get even closer to the outback in style. Or just hang back and enjoy the simple life as you watch the sunset on a landscape unlike any you’ve ever seen.
But one thing you won’t find in the middle of Australia’s outback is a ton of hostels to choose from. But that doesn’t mean budget backpackers can’t venture down under without spending every last dollar!
When it comes to the best hostels in Alice Springs, we’ve got you covered! We brought all of the top backpacker’s hostels to one place so you can find the perfect hostel for you in two shakes of a lamb’s tail (you’re welcome for the bonus Aussie slang lessons!)
Quick Answer: The Best Hostels in Alice Springs
- Overall Best Hostel in Alice Springs – Alice’s Secret Travellers Inn
- Best Hostel for Solo Travelers in Alice Springs – Alice Springs YHA
- Best Cheap Hostel in Alice Springs – Alice Lodge Backpackers
- Best Hostel for Couples in Alice Springs – Kathy’s Place Bed & Breakfast
- Best Party Hostel in Alice Springs – Jump Inn Alice
- Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Alice Springs – Todd Tavern
The Best Hostels in Alice Springs
All the kangaroos and lizards of Alice Springs await you! If you’re backpacking Australia and you’re a real adventurer, you’ll probably stop over in Alice Springs.
But before you can check out the wildlife of Alice Springs, you’ll need to find the perfect hostel that suits how you like to travel. With each place a little different from the next, be sure to keep your eyes open for the best hostel for you!
Best Overall Hostel in Alice Springs – Alice’s Secret Travellers Inn
- Shared Kitchen
- Swimming Pool
Cozy up in a hammock and sway back and forth under that outback sun, Alice’s Secret Travellers Inn makes the perfect home away from home for weary backpackers. We know you’ll be wanting to head out to the trails and explore the desert. But after a few days of bushwhacking, there’s no better place to recover in Alice Springs than at this youth hostel. With roomy lounges, a pretty garden, hammocks, and even a swimming pool, you’ll be relaxing in style.
If you’re looking for an adventure a bit closer to home, guests will find the botanic gardens just a short walk away. When staying at Alice’s Secret Travellers Inn, your days will be spent on adventures and your nights with beer and BBQs. This is one hostel that will show guests the true Aussie spirit!
Best Hostel for Solo Travelers in Alice Springs – Alice Springs YHA
- Movie Night
- Swimming Pool
- Shared Kitchen
It doesn’t matter if you’re taking a road trip through Australia or have been flying from city to city; travelers are sure to get lonely while on the road. While in Alice Springs, why don’t we have you meet up with some fellow backpackers at Alice Springs YHA? This unique backpackers has been built on the grounds of an old movie theater. Maintaining the same spirit, you’ll find that nearly every night, this hostel will show movies out on the lawn.
When you’re not out exploring the outback, Alice Springs YHA hooks you up with a shaded garden and a swimming pool – perfect for cooling off. Top it off with a central location putting you right by several cafes and shops, Alice Springs YHA checks al the boxes for solo travelers looking for a great home away from home!
Best Cheap Hostel in Alice Springs – Alice Lodge Backpackers
- Free Breakfast
- Swimming Pool
- Shared Kitchen
For budget backpackers used to live in South East Asia, traveling in Australia will be quite a shock. What you would spend in a week in Bangkok, you’ll quickly go through in a day in Oz. While staying in Alice Springs, let’s help you actually save money by checking into Alice Lodge Backpackers! Just because this is a budget hostel doesn’t mean you won’t have fun! Alice Lodge Backpackers has a swimming pool, lounge, and BBQ pit!
Even if you’re looking to head out to the outback or check out the famous Uluru, Alice Lodge Backpackers can hook you up with budget tours. With laid back hostel vibes and an experience unlike any other, this is one backpacker’s hostel you’ll never want to check out of!
Best Hostel for Couples in Alice Springs – Kathy’s Place Bed & Breakfast
- Breakfast Included
- Swimming Pool
As a traveling backpacker couple, you’ll probably find yourself spending many nights in separate dorm beds to save money. Why don’t we turn the romance back on by having you and your bae cozying up in Kathys Place Bed and Breakfast while staying in Alice Springs?
This homey B&B gives guests an upgrade from the average youth hostel without totally breaking the bank. You’ll have all the comfort and style of a hotel while still enjoying all the things that make a hostel great. With a lounge, shared kitchen, and a swimming pool, travelers can still mix with the other guests when the mood strikes. What will really have you clicking that book button is the delicious free breakfast that will get each day started off on the right foot.
The GRAYL GEOPRESS water bottle is the ONLY all-in-one filter water bottle setup you'll need. Whether you need to purify the water from a hostel sink in Kathmandu or a stream trickle in the Andes, the Geopress has got you covered. Check out our full review here for more convincing.
Best Party Hostel in Alice Springs – Jump Inn Alice
- Free Breakfast
If you want to party like a true Aussie, you’ll find yourself part of the family at Jump Inn Alice. After days of camping and exploring the desert, Jump Inn Alice makes for the perfect base in Alice Springs to recharge your batteries and relax. With its social atmosphere, travelers can crack open a cold beer and hang out with the other guests.
Any backpackers hostel can have a bar, but what really makes Jump Inn Alice a unique stay is the live music! With concerts that will have you up on your feet jumping around like a flaming galah, this youth hostel brings the party straight to your dorm room!
Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Alice Springs – Todd Tavern
Need to find a place to call home for a few days to catch up on some work? Todd Tavern puts you in the heart of Alice Springs, close to all the shops and restaurants so you can make sure you have every comfort you need while getting to work. Digital nomads will also love that Todd Tavern is a restaurant and pub, meaning you can easily take a break to eat and drink. With a lounge and even an outdoor seating area, you’ll have ample room to spread out and finish up your work!
More of the Best Hostels in Alice Springs
Haven’t found the right one yet? Don’t worry, we’ve got more awesome places coming your way. In case you’re keen on travelling onwards from Alice Springs, make sure you know where you want to stay in Australia next. Nothing is worse than getting lost on the roads!
- Swimming Pool
Even as a backpacker, you may want a little bit of privacy every now and then. Let’s forget about the dorm rooms for a few nights and put you in the stylish Diplomat Motel in Alice Springs! For a price not much more than you’d pay for a single room in a backpacker’s hostel, Diplomat Motel has its own lounge and even a swimming pool perfect for beating that unbearable Aussie heat. Being in such a central location, you’ll have your choice of dining out or eating and drinking at the onsite bar and restaurant. For a budget hotel that checks all the boxes, look no further than Diplomat Motel Alice Springs!
What to Pack for your Alice Springs Hostel
Pants, socks, underwear… Here are some other items you might not have thought to pack for Australia.
1. TRTL Travel Pillow: Long flights and bus rides are quite uncomfortable (most obvious statement of the day). Most travel pillows… Well, you know how they are. TRTL travel pillow is different. I mean, look at it! It’ll cuddle you to sleep every ride and it does a pretty damn good job of supporting your neck so you don’t get that stiffness or legendary popping when you stir.
2. Active Roots Water Bottle: Hostels are increasingly meeting backpackers’ demands for potable (drinkable) water. Now is better than ever to start traveling with a reusable water bottle! Aside from cutting down single-use plastic, The Active Roots stainless steel water bottle will also keep your favorite beverage hot or cold all day long and it’s sized perfectly to fit an entire bottle of wine. ‘Nuff said.
3. Universal Travel Adapter: Not every country has the same electrical plug style, so carry along a universal travel adapter. You’ll want one that covers varying voltage levels, has protection from power surges, a fried laptop is not fun, and enough ports so you don’t have to spend all day individually charging your devices.
4. Active Roots Toiletry Bag: The Active Roots Toiletry bag keeps all of your bathroom essential items organized instead of flowing around your backpack. Having everything handy and accessible in one water-resistant bag is a bathroom lifesaver. This toiletry bag also helps from being that embarrassed person walking back to the dorm room, in a towel, to grab forgotten shampoo.
5. Headphone Splitter: Being stuck on a bus or plane with only one phone that has good music or shows downloaded can be pretty annoying if your travel buddy wants to share headphones. With this Headphone Splitter, you won’t have to listen with only one ear anymore. Your friend can plug in their headphones at the same time, so both of you are entertained (on both ears!).
6. Noise-Cancelling Earbuds: You’ll have some pretty sorry roommates – it happens from time to time. These noise-canceling earbuds help mitigate the damage. The comfortable and ergonomic design won’t hurt your ears while sleeping no matter how long you keep them in. Increase the quality of your sleep by listening to some relaxing music at night or just enjoy the silence.
Why You Should Travel to Alice Springs
With a choice of camels, bikes, and even hot air balloons, there are numerous ways to take in all the beauty of the outback from Alice Springs. Whether you want to rev up your engine on a dune buggy or take it slow on foot, Alice Springs will show you the Australia of your dreams!
With so many great places in Alice Springs to choose from, we can understand if you’re still undecided about where to call home. Let us help you out by giving you our recommendation. For a one-of-a-kind experience, be sure to book yourself into Alice’s Secret Travellers Inn, our pick for the best hostel in Alice Springs!
Over to you
Hike down into remote gorges, take a dip in the secluded pools, get lost in the vast outback, and end your day by watching the sunset from Anzac Hill. Not every dream vacation in Australia is just about beaches and surfing; the true soul of the country can be found in Alice Springs. With a desert teeming with life and hikes that immerse travelers in the beauty of the outback, Alice Springs will have you embarking on a once in a lifetime adventure.
Before you can hit the trails or bike through the desert, you’ll need to choose the perfect hostel to base yourself out of. With everything from laidback dorms to crazy party hostels, travelers should keep their eyes open for the kind of stay that fits their own unique style. Will you head out into the outback with fellow backpackers or stay up ’til the crack of dawn downing some beers? The choice is yours, depending on what hostel you book yourself into.
Travelling onwards from Alice Spring? No need to worry, there are numerous amazing hostels all over Australia waiting for you!
If you have ever traveled to Alice Springs, we’d love to hear about your trip. Let us know in the comments if there are any great backpacker’s hostels we may have missed!
And don’t forget to sort your travel insurance before heading to Alice Springs! We’ve put together a roundup of the best travel insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads, our favorite travel insurance provider.
Getting an estimate from World Nomads is simple – just click the button or image below, fill out the necessary info, and you’re on your way!
Do you own or run a kick ass hostel? Want to be featured in this list? Get in touch at [email protected]
Yay for transparency! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, The Broke Backpacker will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps keep the site going.