Located in the heart of Sri Lanka, Kandy is a town nestled into the mountains teeming with life. Be it nature hikes, wildlife, or stunning temples, you can find it all in Kandy!
This is one of the few places in the world where you can literally see the jungle and a modern city like Kandy living side by side. Don’t be surprised while walking down the streets to see a family of monkeys or an elephant casually come strolling by!
You will have plenty of backpackers hostels to choose from while exploring Kandy, but how can you be sure that the place you are staying really suits your style of travel?
Wipe off that sweat! We got you covered by putting together this master list of all the best backpackers hostels to stay at in Kandy!
From temples to jungles, your spiritual adventure is only a few clicks away!
Table of Contents
Quick answer: The Best Hostels in Kandy
- Best Overall Hostel in Kandy – Sleep Cheep Hostel
- Best Party Hostel in Kandy – Hipsters Hideout Lounge
- Best Hostel for Solo Travelers in Kandy – Kandy Back Packer’s Hostel
- Best Cheap Hostel in Kandy – Jay’s Bunks – Kandy Hostel
- Best Hostel for Couples in Kandy – Kandy City View Hostel
- Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Kandy – 2in1 Hostel
- Best Hostel with a Private Room in Kandy – 335 Holiday Homes
Best Hostels in Kandy
Best Overall Hostel in Kandy – Sleep Cheep Hostel
- Common Room
- Shared Kitchen
Kandy isn’t about the hustle and bustle of the city. To truly get in touch with the beauty of Kandy you are going to have to stay a bit out of town. Sleep Cheep Hostel puts you in a quiet green environment while still providing guests with all the comforts of downtown!
With spacious lounges, a shared kitchen, and free use of the laundry machines, you will feel more like you are staying at a home rather than a backpackers hostel. Ready to explore all the amazing sights around Kandy? Sleep Cheep has you covered with day tours taking you to all the best places!
Best Party Hostel in Kandy – Hipsters Hideout Lounge
- Pub Crawls
- Drinking Games
Regardless if you are looking to stay in the center of Kandy or just trying to have the biggest party possible in Kandy, Hipster Hideout is the backpacker’s hostel for you! Putting you within minutes of all the most famous temples and Kandy Lake, you can’t get much closer to the action than this!
Craving that drink that will hit the spot? Hipster’s Hideout Backpackers Hostel has you covered with their fully stocked bar! The fun doesn’t stop there, with drinking games and pub crawls, you will have just as crazy of a party inside the hostel as in the clubs outside!
Best Hostel for Solo Travelers in Kandy – Kandy Back Packer’s Hostel
- Outdoor Pool
- Cooking Classes
Kandy Back Packer’s is everything a proper youth hostel should be. Social, cheap, and with everything you need to kick back and relax while hanging out around the hostel. It’s not just the lounges and the rooftop terrace where you will find yourself chilling in while staying at this backpackers hostel, but the pool is where the party really is at!
Looking for something to do doing the evening? Kandy Back Packer’s even off their very own Sri Lankan cooking classes where you can learn to cook some scrumptious vegetarian dishes! This eco-friendly hostel is one you want wanting to part from, so be prepared to extend your stay night after night!
Best Cheap Hostel in Kandy – Jay’s Bunks – Kandy Hostel
- Rooftop Bar
Need a cheap hostel to crash for a while to save up some of those rupees? Jay’s Bunks promises not only to give you one of the cheapest beds in town but the best hostel experience possible! And believe me, they deliver!
It’s not just the cold beers at the bar which will have you sold on Jay’s Bunks, but the juices are what you will be wanting to stay for! With mocktails, homemade soda, and juices, you will be cooling off from the heat in style on the rooftop terrace!
With cheap beds, great drinks, and chill vibes, you are sure to be wanting to call Jay’s Bunks your new home away from home!
Best Hostel for Couples in Kandy – Kandy City View Hostel
- Rooftop Terrace
Alright all you lovebirds out there, we know that after days of being confined to a smelly train or a crowded bus you will be wanting to find that perfect backpackers hostel to not only recharge your batteries but reignite that flame of love.
We found the perfect place for you couples to shack up into, Kandy City View Hostel! You may have already guessed, this backpackers hostel offers some of the best views of the city of Kandy.
Other than hanging out on the rooftop terrace, this backpackers hostel also puts you within minutes of the Kandyan Kings Garden! Regardless of if you are l0oking for romance or not, the view and location of Kandy City View is one that can’t be beaten!
Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Kandy – 2n1 Kandy
- Rooftop Terrace
- Currency Exchange
Needing a place to plug in for a few days? 2in1 Kandy is probably one of the most modern backpackers hostels you can find in town! With brand spanking new facilities, you can be sure you will have a comfortable stay with a strong internet connection!
2in1 Kandy is not just a great place to write up that blog or edit the latest video, digital nomads will be relaxing in a hostel with some of the best views in all of Kandy! Mist shrouded mountains and jungles all from the comfort from your hostel? What more could you possibly want?
Best Hostel with a Private Room in Kandy – 335 Holiday Homes
We all love backpacker’s hostels, that is one of the main reasons we travel. After a while, however, you may grow weary of the same old conversations and just want to have a place of your own.
At 335 Holiday Homes, you will be booking yourself into a private room for the price of a bunk bed! The cheap single rooms are just the tip of the iceberg! This budget hotel with the spirit of a hostel has loads of games, lounges, a cafe, and even an outdoor terrace.
Top it all of with a location right smack in the center of Kandy, 335 Holiday Homes is not a place you want to overlook! There is plenty of fun nightlife nearby as well if you are looking to venture out into the city.
More Best Hostels in Kandy
This newly opened hostel in Kandy is definitely one to keep an eye on. With a location far enough from the city to have a peaceful atmosphere but close enough to enjoy all the conveniences, Alleyway Hostel will have their backpackers staying in a premium location!
It’s not just where Alleyway Hostel is that makes it one of the best backpackers in Kandy. With spacious lounges, a shared kitchen, and great views of Kandy, this is the kind of hostel you will find yourself staying much longer than expected!
- Bicycle Hire
While you may not be located right in the center of Kandy, Funk Bunks will definitely give you the best Sri Lankan experience possible! Located on the top of a hill, you will be given stunning views of both Kandy and the surrounding jungles!
It’s not just the view that will make you fall in love with Funk Bunks! The staff will go above and beyond to make you feel like you are part of the family. From travel advice to taking you around Kandy themselves, the owners totally embody Sri Lankan hospitality.
Oh, we almost forgot. If your stomach starts growling you won’t have to wander too far to find some of the best restaurants in Kandy, this backpackers hostel even comes with its very own onsite restaurant!
With a name like Majestic Tourist Hotel, you know you are in for a treat. While this may not be a backpackers hostel, per se, you will get your very own private room for a low price. It’s not the cheap rooms that made this Majestic Tourist Hotel make the list of best hostels for budget travelers in Kandy, the experience is truly one out of this world!
This four-story hotel comes with its very own restaurant, bar, and even an entire floor dedicated to nothing but hanging out and taking in the view of Kandy.
With great food, tour service, and a location just a short walk from downtown Kandy, the Majestic Tourist Hotel will be your perfect base while exploring Sri Lanka!
What to Pack for your Kandy Hostel
Here’s some gear our editors take hostelling.
1. Active Roots Water Bottle: Hostels are increasingly meeting backpackers’ demands for potable (drinkable) water. Now is better than ever to start traveling with a reusable water bottle! Aside from cutting down single-use plastic, The Active Roots stainless steel water bottle will also keep your favorite beverage hot or cold all day long and it’s sized perfectly to fit an entire bottle of wine. ‘Nuff said.
2. Power Bank: Everyone knows the mini heart attack when your phone is about to run out of power. Surviving long bus rides without charging stations can be agonizing, which is why every backpacker should have this Anker Power Bank. You can charge your phone up to 5 times, or plug in two devices simultaneously. With high-speed charging and enough power to keep you going for days, you can conquer even the biggest adventures without a problem.
3. Headphone Splitter: Being stuck on a bus or plane with only one phone that has good music or shows downloaded can be pretty annoying if your travel buddy wants to share headphones. With this Headphone Splitter, you won’t have to listen with only one ear anymore. Your friend can plug in their headphones at the same time, so both of you are entertained (on both ears!).
4. Padlock: Unless the thief literally spends hours to figure out the code (he won’t), this three-digit padlock is going to keep your stuff safe. It’s great for keeping the zipper of your backpack secured or your locker properly closed. This basic and very flexible padlock saves you from having your essentials stolen. Definitely a must-have for every backpacker!
5. Sea to Summit Travel Soap: The Sea to Summit multipurpose soap leaves are the perfect hygiene travel companion. The individual, Leave-no-Trace-certified strips are great for keeping your hands clean before you eat in that dodgy but delicious restaurant. There are also little strip packs for laundry, shampoo and shaving.
6. Active Roots Microfiber Towel: Having your own towel on your travels is a game changer. The Active Roots Microfiber Towel is perfect for travellers who are looking for a lightweight, quick-drying and extremely soft option. The antibacterial material is super water-absorbent and resists odor buildup because of its antimicrobial material. Ain’t technology cool?
Elephants, temples, and mountains, this is literally most people’s dream vacation and you can find it all in Kandy! Spend your days hiking up mountain tops and each night relaxing by the lake, every day in Kandy has a new adventure in store for you!
Looking to get more in touch with your spiritual side? Kandy is also home to some of the holiest and most breathtaking Buddhist sites in all of Sri Lanka! No matter if you are climbing a mountain or meditating in a temple, Kandy offers stunning beauty everywhere!
We can understand if you are still a bit undecided on where to stay in Kandy. If you are looking for a central hostel with all the best perks, there is no better hostel than Kandy Back Packer’s Hostel, our pick for the best hostel in Kandy!
Keep your eyes peeled for monkeys and elephants, you will be in Kandy before you know it!
Don’t forget to sort your travel insurance! We’ve put together a roundup of the best travel insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads now, our favourite travel insurance provider.
Do you own or run a kick ass hostel? Want to be featured in this list? Get in touch at [email protected]
Yay for transparency! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation, buy a book or sort your insurance, I’ll earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. I only link to stuff I’ve actually used and never endorse crap. Your support helps me keep the site going.
Need More Inspiration?
- Backpacking Southeast Asia
- Southeast Asia Packing List • 21 Items you NEED
- Brutally Honest Traveler Reviews • 35 Best Hostels in Sri Lanka
- Best Hostels in Colombo
Like this post? PIN ME!!!
Noodle addict. City dweller. Aaron Radcliffe is the marketing ninja for The Broke Backpacker, founder of Nomads Nation and Co-Founder of Ditch Your Desk.