Kelowna is a place where you can breathe in the fresh British Columbian air and take life a little slower. Away from all the hustle and bustle of the city and the nonstop action of some of the extreme sports around more touristy areas of Canada, Kelowna will have you wandering through the vineyards sipping on wine and taking the slow boat through the harbor. With its old-timey charm and rich history, Kelowna seems less of a place that you would visit for just a few days and more like your new home that you’ll be tempted to move into for good.
Being a place that seems more like home than a tourist hub, you won’t find a whole lot of backpacker’s hostels catering to travelers living on a budget. With its vineyards and luxury tourism, many visitors may feel like there’s no place in Kelowna where they can put down their bags before heading out to explore the bike trails and boutique shops.
But don’t fret! We have you covered with our list of the best hostels in Kelowna! Now you can find that perfect backpacker’s hostel to fit your budget and how you like to travel. Whether you want to hang out with other travelers or enjoy some peace and quiet, we have a hostel for you!
Get ready to eat, drink, and bike your way through British Columbia. Your Kelowna adventure is just a few clicks away!
Quick Answer: The Best Hostels in Kelowna
- Overall Best Hostel in Kelowna – Samesun Kelowna
- Best Hostel for Solo Travelers in Kelowna – Kelowna International Hostel
- Best Cheap Hostel in Kelowna – Kelowna Okanagan Lake Hostel
- Best Hostel for Couples in Kelowna – Wild Nature B&B
- Best Party Hostel in Kelowna – Hotel Zed Kelowna
- Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Kelowna – UBC Okanagan Campus
The Best Hostels in Kelowna
The bike trails snaking through the countryside and cruises taking you down the Canadian coast are just a few clicks away, but first, you’ll need to figure out where to call home! With each hostel a bit different from the next, be sure to look for the hostel that best fits how you like to travel. Let’s look at some of the best places to stay in Kelowna.
Best Overall Hostel in Kelowna – Samesun Kelowna
- Shared Kitchen
While traveling through Canada, you may find it a bit difficult to come across a backpacker’s hostel that will have the kind of atmosphere perfect for kicking back and meeting other travelers. Lucky for you, the vibe at Samesun Kelowna is ideal for socializing, relaxing, and partying with the other guests! With spacious lounges, an outdoor patio, and even a games room, sharing stories and having fun is the name of the game at this youth hostel!
When you aren’t chilling in the dorm room, Samesun Kelowna is right around the corner from the beach, not to mention all the best bars and restaurants in the downtown! No matter if you’re looking for a place to relax or a hostel to meet other travelers, Samesun Kelowna has something for every kind of backpacker.
Best Hostel for Solo Travelers in Kelowna – Kelowna International Hostel
- Shared Kitchen
- Themed Parties
Have you been on the road for a while in Canada and are waiting to find a backpacker’s hostel where you can hang out and chat with other travelers? There’s no better place for solo travelers in Kelowna than the Kelowna International Hostel. Not only will you be getting some of the cheapest dorm beds in all of Canada, but this backpackers hostel is the go-to place for visitors looking to let loose and experience Kelowna to the fullest.
Other than the lounges and games throughout the hostel, you’ll also be chilling with the other guests during free pasta nights, themed parties, and daily activities that take you throughout the region! For an experience like no other, Kelowna International Hostel is calling your name!
Best Cheap Hostel in Kelowna- Kelowna Okanagan Lake Hostel
- Beach Access
Are you looking for one of the cheapest stays in Kelowna? We know that Canada can get expensive, so why not save a few extra dollars by checking into the Kelowna Okanagan Lake Hostel! Located just a few minutes’ walk away from the beach, you’ll have all the best nature that Kelowna has to offer waiting right outside your door! Only six minutes away from the water and three minutes from downtown, you couldn’t ask for a better location.
When you’re not out exploring Kelowna, the hostel has everything you need to have a good night’s sleep and relax in complete comfort. With a lounge and sunny rooms, you’re sure to feel right at home!
Best Hostel for Couples in Kelowna – Wild Nature B&B
- Breakfast 7$
Are you a couple who are a bit tired of always having to be separated by dorm beds and are looking to turn on the romance? This cozy backwoods bed and breakfast will have you surrounded by what makes Kelowna so special – nature. With stunning views looking out over the forest from the balcony of this luxurious log-cabin-style guesthouse, you’re sure to fall in love with Kelowna. There’s no need to be scared about the price; for not all that much more than a private room at a youth hostel, you can get all the comfort and style of a hotel for half the price.
With a delicious breakfast and stunning views, there’s no better place to take in the beauty of Canada!
Single-use plastic bottles are a huge threat to Marine Life – Be a part of the solution and travel with a filter water bottle.
The GRAYL GEOPRESS water bottle is the ONLY all-in-one filter water bottle setup you’ll need. Whether you need to purify the water from a hostel sink in Kathmandu or a stream trickle in the Andes, the Geopress has got you covered.
Read our full review of the GRAYL GEOPRESS!
Best Party Hostel in Kelowna – Hotel Zed Kelowna
- Private Disco
- Swimming Pool
Hotel Zed Kelowna is not exactly the place to go if you’re looking to get drunk. But if you’re a party animal who enjoys good music and dancing all night before kicking back by the pool the next day, this budget hotel might be just for you! With its very own private disco and games room, you’ll find so much fun to be had at this youthful hotel. When you’re not out partying, Hotel Zed will have you relaxing by the pool or even taking a soak in the sauna.
When you can finally tear yourself away from the comforts of the hotel, you’ll find that all of the best sights of Kelowna – such as the downtown and Lake Okanagan – are just a short walk away from your doorstep.
Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Kelowna – UBC Okanagan Campus
- Fitness Center
- Shared Kitchen
Putting you right on the beautiful UBC Okanagan Campus, the private rooms here make for the perfect place for all the digital nomads out there looking for a quiet place to work in peace and quiet. Located close to the Kelowna Airport and some of the best parks in town, you’ll find tons to do around the guesthouse. Complete with a shared kitchen, you’ll have the choice of eating out or saving some money and cooking for yourself.
Topped off with a fitness center and even a lounge to hang out with other guests, UBC Okanagan Campus offers some of the cheapest rooms in Kelowna.
Psst! Heading to a hostel? Don’t forget to pack a padlock! It’s well worth having one so you can secure your locker and protect your stuff!
More of the Best Hostels in Kelowna
- Swimming Pool
Recreation Inn might cost a little bit more than you’re used to for a backpacker’s hostel, but this cheap hotel goes above and beyond to hook you up with all the excitement in Kelowna in one place! Not only will you be chowing down at the cafe and relaxing in the lounge, but Recreation Inn & Suites has so much more to offer – from golf courses and tennis courts to ski slopes and beaches – located just a few minutes’ walk from your room! With cozy rooms and tons of things to do around the hotel, you’ll want to extend your stay night after night!
What to Pack for your Kelowna Hostel
We don’t often travel without these essentials.
1. Active Roots Water Bottle: Hostels are increasingly meeting backpackers’ demands for potable (drinkable) water. Now is better than ever to start traveling with a reusable water bottle! Aside from cutting down single-use plastic, The Active Roots stainless steel water bottle will also keep your favorite beverage hot or cold all day long and it’s sized perfectly to fit an entire bottle of wine. ‘Nuff said.
2. Power Bank: Everyone knows the mini heart attack when your phone is about to run out of power. Surviving long bus rides without charging stations can be agonizing, which is why every backpacker should have this Anker Power Bank. You can charge your phone up to 5 times, or plug in two devices simultaneously. With high-speed charging and enough power to keep you going for days, you can conquer even the biggest adventures without a problem.
3. Headphone Splitter: Being stuck on a bus or plane with only one phone that has good music or shows downloaded can be pretty annoying if your travel buddy wants to share headphones. With this Headphone Splitter, you won’t have to listen with only one ear anymore. Your friend can plug in their headphones at the same time, so both of you are entertained (on both ears!).
4. Active Roots Microfiber Towel: Having your own towel on your travels is a game changer. The Active Roots Microfiber Towel is perfect for travellers who are looking for a lightweight, quick-drying and extremely soft option. The antibacterial material is super water-absorbent and resists odor buildup because of its antimicrobial material. Ain’t technology cool?
5. Universal Travel Adapter: This universal travel adapter charges your devices in (pretty much) every country – definitely a lifesaver when travelling around the world. The plug also regulates the power output depending on which device you’re charging. No more fried hair dryers or electric razors!
6. Playing Cards: These waterproof cards are essential kit for every backpacker. Play by the pool, beach or at your hostel after a long day with travel buds, without your cards breaking or getting soaked. And once you pull out those cards, the chance that you’ll be the hero of the night is pretty high (no promises though).
Why you should travel to Kelowna
It doesn’t matter what season you decide to head to Kelowna in; you’re sure to have the vacation of a lifetime! While exploring Kelowna, you can expect your days to be filled with canoeing on the lake, hiking through the forests, and kicking back and relaxing at one of the many cafes.
Are you still torn between two or three great hostels in Kelowna! Let us point you in the right direction! For a budget price and a classic backpacker’s experience, you’ll want to check yourself into Samesun Kelowna, our pick for the best hostel in Kelowna!
Over to you
We hope you’re ready to kick back and relax in Kelowna! Here, your wine glass will never be empty and your itinerary will always be full! From quiet days out on the lake and barbeques near the sea to calming hikes taking you through the Canadian wilderness, in Kelowna, you can genuinely feel the soothing nature of British Columbia! Even if you decide to stay closer to town, there are more than enough cafes and museums to keep you entertained for days!
One of the most important things to consider when planning your trip to Kelowna is where you’ll end up calling home. You’ll have to factor in the price and atmosphere, along with the comfort and cleanliness. With everything from guesthouses to your classic backpacker’s hostels to choose from, where you end up booking will set the tone for your trip to Kelowna!
Have you ever traveled to Kelowna? We’d love to hear about your trip! Let us know in the comments below if there are any great youth hostels in Kelowna we may have missed.
And don’t forget Travel Insurance! We’ve put together a roundup of Travel Insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads, our favorite travel insurance provider.
Getting an estimate from World Nomads is simple – just click the button or image below, fill out the necessary info, and you’re on your way!
Do you own or run a kick ass hostel? Want to be featured in this list? Get in touch at [email protected]
“Find out how YOU can support the site. We work hard to put out the best backpacker resources on the web, for free! It’s all about helping out our tribe of awesome backpacker readers [that’s you!]. Please visit the link to find out how you can help keep the site going 🙂
For the sake of transparency, some of the links in our content are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation, buy a book or sort your insurance, we earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. I only link to stuff I’ve actually used and never endorse products or services that are not up to scratch. Thanks for your support.