Moab is a beautiful area of Utah near to the Arches and Canyonlands National Parks! Here, you’ll find all manner of amazing outdoor activities to immerse yourself in, along with the thousands of other tourists who know and love this place so well!
Known for its fascinating rock formations, scorching sunshine and adventurous landscape, Moab is the best place to stay in Utah if you’re a lover of the great outdoors
With so much to offer, it can be quite overwhelming when trying to decide where to stay in Moab.
But with our easy, step-by-step guide, you’ll find the best areas to stay in Moab to meet your interests and budget!
Without further ado, here’s our guide to where to stay in Moab, Utah!
Quick Tips: Where to Stay in Moab
- Moab City – Where to Stay in Moab for the First Time
- Spanish Valley – Where to Stay in Moab on a Budget
- Castle Valley – Where to Stay in Moab for Families
- Head to the Arches National Park Visitor Center for the chance to immerse yourself in the amazing history of this incredible place!
- Take a dip in Moab’s public Recreation and Aquatic Center!
- Take on a real adventure down the Colorado River with Mild to Wild Rafting and Jeep Tours, based in Moab City!
Visiting Utah and headed to Moab? Looking for a specific stay? These are our highest recommendations for places to stay in Moab…
Best Airbnb in Moab: Town Home in Downtown Moab
This beautiful three-bedroom home is the perfect base for your adventures. It will be a lovely retreat for you to return to after a hard day’s hike or bike! With a pool and hot tub to relax in with a glass of prosecco and a large kitchen to enjoy a homecooked meal in, you’ll want for nothing!VIEW ON AIRBNB
Best Hotel in Moab: Hotel Moab Downtown
This boutique hotel received visitors from all over the world every year, and it’s easy to see why! With access to an outdoor pool, large comfortable rooms and lovely gardens to lose yourself in, this hotel has so much to offer for such a reasonable price!
The staff are friendly and willing to help you plan your trip and point out the best places to visit too!VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Best Luxury Hotel in Moab: Mountain Paradise
Why not treat yourself to a place of your own? This gorgeous house is towards the Spanish Valley neighbourhood and boasts some amazing vistas over to the towering mountains!
You’ll have your own private outdoor pool, as well as free internet access and a lovely outdoor sitting area to enjoy a sunset cocktail!VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Quick Summary: The Best Places to Stay in Moab
|Check Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
Moab is a region on the southern edge of Grand Count in south-eastern Utah and is a hidden gem amongst the mountains and creeks. With a tiny population of around 5000, you’re sure to find seclusion here! However, this area is a popular spot for tourists every year, so you won’t be alone in your explorations and adventures!
Surrounded by an extensive network of trails and hiking routes through the neighboring Arches and Canyonlands national parks, Moab is the best place to visit if you love the great outdoors. Flanked by the Colorado River and its many tributaries, this is also a great place to get into water sports and try something new!
Having previously been a farming area, Moab is now deemed the ‘Uranium capital of the world’. But since then, it has become more well known for its Hollywood status, as the set for some of the most famous blockbusters in history! Mission Impossible, Stagecoach, Star Trek and Transformers are just a few of the sets you can look out for on your visit!
Moab has a range of different neighborhoods on offer, but the best, if you’re coming here of the first time, is Moab City. Whilst still being near to the amazing and secluded landscape of Utah’s national parks and mountains, you’ll have the advantage of still be being close to other people and a slightly more urban area. You’ll find great American style restaurants, cafes and hotels! But if you would prefer to be a bit more off the beaten track and spend a little less while you’re at it, then head to Spanish Valley! A little to the south of Moab, this area is secluded and isolated but is the best place to stay in Moab if you want to explore the natural side!
Coming with the family? Don’t fret. Castle Valley, which is slightly north of Moab City, offers proximity to some great areas of outstanding natural beauty, where you can do all sorts of activities. Hiking, biking, jeep trails, white water rafting and rock climbing are just some of the adventured you could go on as a family.
The seclusion of this area means that there isn’t a great range of access points to this area, but there is an airport at Canyonlands Field which has daily nonstop flights to Denver International Airport!
With so much history, culture and scenery to enjoy, Moab is one of the best places to stay in Utah! If you#re here to explore the amazing things to do in Utah, choose the area to stay in wisely. You don’t want to end up hundreds of miles away from the hotspots you want to explore.
Outdoor activities and extreme sports characterise this area of Moab. There are so many opportunities to immerse yourself in this extreme landscape, where the terrain is rough, but people are friendly!
Locals are more than willing to show you around the land they call home, and you will be given loads of chances to get involved yourself too!
Things to do in Moab City
– Learn about the beauty that surrounds you whilst also seeing it for yourself! Head to the Arches National Park Visitor Center for the chance to immerse yourself in the amazing history of this incredible place!
– If you’re into your extreme sports, whether it’s to take part or simply to watch, then head to the Sand Flat Re-creation Area. It’s a 9,000-acre space where you can see extreme biking, jeep trails and there’s even the chance to camp!
– Take a dip in Moab’s public Recreation and Aquatic Center! There are fountains and grassy areas for you to enjoy a picnic and a book!
– Take on a real adventure down the Colorado River with Mild to Wild Rafting and Jeep Tours, based in Moab City! Brave the rapids or, if you’d prefer, stay on dry land in a jeep and see this amazing landscape that way!
– For views worthy of Instagram, head to Portal Overlook, which is a mountain peak just outside the city, but boasts some amazing views overlooking it!
Best Airbnb in Moab City: Cozy Downtown Condo
This lovely apartment is right in the heart of Moab City and has all the features you need to be comfortable and relax on your trip!
With a fully equipped kitchen for rustling up some yummy food and a hot tub to relax in afterwards, there’s no space for stress in this stay!VIEW ON AIRBNB
Best Hotel in Moab City: Best Western Plus Greenwell Inn
This hotel is conveniently located so that all the best activities are right on your doorstep. With a complimentary breakfast, you’ll be fed and set up before you take on the great outdoors! And on your return? Well, there’s an outdoor pool for you to relax in and the beds are deliciously comfy!VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Best Luxury Hotel in Moab City: Hoodoo Moab, Curio Collection by Hilton
This trusted brand of hotel chains will be a comforting slice of home away from home for everyone who comes to stay. On top of that, you’ll also be staying in the most luxurious hotel in Moab City!
The rooms are stylish and large, and the restaurant will serve you up some delicious local cuisine!VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Hikes with amazing views and gorgeous waterfalls are what characterise this area of Moab. It’s the best place to stay if you want to immerse yourself in your surroundings and not break the bank at the same time.
There’s the chance to visit a local vineyard, and go on some long, beautiful hikes too! The accommodation is rustic, traditional and cosy – what more could you want?
Things to do in Spanish Valley:
– If you want to get onto some water, head to Wild Adventures Coyote Lamb, where you can learn all about landscape surrounding you and get onto the river yourself!
– Fancy a little tipple? Why not head to Spanish Valley’s Vineyard and Winery? You can have a tour of the vineyard and try some of the best grapes in Utah!
– Take a walk out east towards Kens Lake, which is a beautiful place to hike and have a picnic and if you fancy roughing it for a night, there’s a camping ground nearby! If you travel a bit further upriver, you’ll find Faux Falls – some lovely waterfalls to photograph!
– Another great sight to see is Hole N the Rock! It’s a huge and fascinating rock formation on the side of a road – great for some pics for the gram!
Best Airbnb in Spanish Valley: Star’s Landing
This Airbnb is dubbed a ‘peaceful desert-dwelling’ and that’s exactly what it is! If you’re looking for real seclusion and peace, this is the best place to stay in Moab for you!
This delightful one-bedroom guest suite is the perfect place to get away from it all and become at one with your stunning surroundings!VIEW ON AIRBNB
Best Hotel in Spanish Valley: Outdoor Glamping Destination Residence
Fancy staying somewhere a little bit different? Then this unique chance to stay in a traditional American campervan is the perfect choice for you!
You can choose from a selection of different types of vans, all of which are more spacious and luxurious than they may look from the outside! There’s also some great communal sitting and eating areas for you to make friends with the other residents!VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Best Luxury Hotel in Spanish Valley: Tierra Del Sol
This is a brilliant chance to have some private space whilst still enjoying being part of a community. There is access to an outdoor pool where you can soak in some sunshine whilst enjoying a drink or two!
The house itself boasts panoramic views of amazing mountain tops and stunning valleys!VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Trying to organise a family holiday can be a stressful time, but don’t worry, we’ve done all the hard work for you! Castle Valley is a beautifully secluded part of the Moab Valley, but with access to some brilliant activities for all the family to enjoy, this is the best option if you’re planning on bringing the sprogs with you!
Things to do in Castle Valley:
– Why not take the family on an adventure to Castleton Tower, where you can climb, abseil, base jump or have a go at rock climbing! Standing and holding the coats is also allowed if you’re not great with heights!
– Perhaps a solo trip for Mum and Dad could be to the Moab Castle Creek Winery! Try some of the best wines this region has to offer and take a tour of the beautiful mountainside vineyard.
– Fancy a family walk? Take a hike up to Round Mountain! The view from the top will be worth the struggle up!
– For some breath-taking views, take the family on a trip to Mary Jane Canyon! Towering mountains, cascading waterfalls and mysterious crevasses – what more can you want?
– If you’d rather skip the walking, why not take a jeep trail with Fins & Things. See the amazing local landscape from the comfort (although it might be a bit bumpy!) of a jeep!
Best Airbnb in Castle Valley: Ranch House close to Moab
This large family home in direct view of the amazing LaSal Mountains and has all the amenities you and your family could need and more! With a large kitchen and dining room to enjoy meals together, and a lovely garden to relax in, this is the perfect place to retreat to after a long day of rafting or climbing!VIEW ON AIRBNB
Best Hotel in Castle Valley: Red Cliffs Lodge
This gorgeous, traditional American style hotel is the perfect place to bring your family for a budget stay in Castle Valley! The outdoor pool is the perfect place for the kids to blow off some steam and for mum and dad to take in the breath-taking views that are behind it!VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Best Luxury Hotel in Castle Valley: Sorrel River Ranch Resort & Spa
If you want to truly immerse yourself into the American rural lifestyle, this ranch is the best place to stay in Moab for you and your family! Sit back on the sun loungers all night long and watch the amazing starlit sky reveal itself or enjoy the fantastic views poolside!
The rooms themselves emulate traditional American ranches and the restaurant serves up all kinds of local delicacies!VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Final Thoughts on Where to Stay in Moab
Outstanding scenery, varied history and a plethora of activities – Moab has so much to offer to travellers of all types! It comes as no surprise that Moab is the perfect place to stay for people of all ages!
To recap: Moab City is the best place to stay in Moab for your first time. Great access to rural areas whilst still being part of a community!
To recap: Moab’s most luxurious hotel is Mountain Paradise – private space for peace and quiet!
If you’re travelling on a bit more of a budget, then the best place to stay in Moab is Hotel Moab Downtown – astonishing service without the astonishing price!
Have we missed anything? Let us know in the comments below, Otherwise, enjoy your travels!
While USA can be very safe, it’s super important to make sure you get travel insurance! We’ve put together a roundup of the best travel insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads now, our favourite travel insurance provider.
Getting an estimate from World Nomads is simple – just click the button or image below, fill out the necessary info, and you’re on your way!
Do you own an awesome hostel, hotel or apartment? Want to be featured in our list? Email [email protected] to find out how.
Yay for transparency! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, The Broke Backpacker will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps me keep the site going.