Ahoy! My name is Will Hatton, founder and chief editor of The Broke Backpacker.
Since the birth of this website in September 2014, The Broke Backpacker has grown into one of the world’s best-known adventure travel blogs. In 2018, we have been expanding… fast.
We now have an awesome team of 7 full-time team members and several talented freelancers working with us.
We are real travelers who love to step away from the beaten path to discover offbeat countries and hidden gems…
We pride ourselves in putting together the most accurate, detailed and down to earth content on the web. This is a site for backpackers, by backpackers. You won’t see any cocktails on the beach bullshit here – this isn’t that kind of site.
This is a site all about longterm sustainable travel – we are passionate about showing others how to ditch their desks, hit the road and earn an income whilst traveling the world.
We are not interested in free gear. We will not promote gear, destinations, experiences or services that go against our core beliefs.
We very rarely work with campaigns, advertisers, tourism boards etc – please read our full terms and conditions before contacting us. Below are some key statistics about our website and social media channel.
Web Statistics and Audience Demographics
Age group: 18-34 Newsletter Subscribers: 5000Total Social Media Followers: 250,000Monthly Unique Visitors: 200,000Monthly Page Views: 350,000 Audience Locations: USA, UK, Australia, Canada, Philippines, India plus viewers from 172 additional countries.
As well as chatting to fellow adventurers and helping first-time explorers hit the road, we do like to hear from companies and brands who share a similar vision; that travel should be fun, accessible and exhilarating.
We are very selective about who we work with and 90% of enquiries are not answered. Please don’t send us chaser emails if you haven’t heard from us.
If you would like to work with The Broke Backpacker Adventure Travel Blog, please contact us using the details at the bottom of this post but, before you do, please familiarise yourself with our brand using the info below. We only work with certain types of clients and we do not work for free – please see the bottom of this post to ensure you have the best chance of a response.
Will is an experienced public speaker and is available for conferences, company retreats and lifestyle seminars. If you are looking for an engaging, passionate speaker who can talk about location independent entrepreneurship, real adventures in far-flung lands and the value of finding your why – Will is the man for the job.
Will is also available to run workshops and attend conferences and can talk about the following topics…
- How to scale a travel blog to $30,000 a month
- How to find your passion and make it profitable
- Beginner to Advanced SEO to explode your traffic
- How to build SOPs and hire great people to scale your business
- How to become a location independent entrepreneur and manage multiple ventures
- Cryptocurrency 101
Will is also available for consulting and charges $300 an hour.
MEDIA AND PRESS APPEARANCES
- The Daily Mail – Is This the Most Adventurous Backpacker in the World?
- BBC – A Night in the Desert with a Stranger I met on Couchsurfing
- News.com.au – From Broke to an Instant Millionaire in Venezuela
- News.com.au – The Lost Tribe and The Tattoo Master
- The Daily Mail – Travelling the World for Seven Years on $100 a Week
- The Daily Mail – Hardy Tourists Venture to Crime-ridden Venezuela
- Yahoo Travel – Tattooed by a 97 Year Old Woman
- NTNews.com – From Broke to an Instant Millionaire in Venezuela
- BuzzFeed – How A Guy Traveled Southeast Asia On Just $10 A Day
- Yahoo Travel – Surviving the Istanbul Bombing
- Thought Catalog – This is Why I Won’t Stop Traveling
- Business Insider UK – 26-year-old Travels The World on No More Than $30
TV, Radio, and Podcast Appearances
- Al Jazeera – TV Appearance on Quitting Your Job to Travel The World
- Marketing TRW – Will Hatton – Cracking Creativity Podcast
- KMJS10 – Filipino National TV Tattoo Documentary
- Cliff Central – #Kellman – Part 2 05.10.15
- Around The World – Radio Interview with The Broke Backpacker
- Jay Wong – Will Hatton on How to Be a Travel Blogger Podcast
- Join Up Dots – Will Hatton: The Broke Backpacker Tackles the World
- The Man Power Project – The Dan G. Show with The Broke Backpacker
- The Journey of Success – The Broke Backpacker – From the UK to PNG
TRAVEL WRITING FOR PUBLICATIONS
In the past, Will worked as a freelance writer for various media outlets, you can see some of his work below. Will is no longer available for freelance writing gigs.
- BBC – The True Meaning of Family
- News.com.au – Featured Story: Death in the Nepalese Himalayas
- Yahoo Travel – 10 Reasons You Need to go to Myanmar
- Yahoo Travel – The Insiders Guide to Venezuela
- Yahoo Travel – 7 Things Nobody Told Me About Backpacking
- Rappler.com – Explorer’s Philippines Adventure Part 1: A Frozen Dawn
- Rappler.com – Explorer’s Philippines Adventure Part 2: Caving in Sagada
- Rappler.com – Explorer’s Philippines Adventure Part 3: A Living Legend
- Littlegate Publishing – The Broke Backpacker went a wandering in Iran
- Littlegate Publishing – Peaking Behind the Curtain in Venezuela
- Littlegate Publishing – The Importance of Stepping Off the Beaten Path
- BuzzFeed – 13 Affordable Countries That Are Perfect for Budget Travelers
- Thought Catalog – 7 Things Nobody Told Me About Venezuela
- Yahoo Travel – How to Become a Better Travel Writer
AWARDS AND APPEARANCES
Since we first started the blog, we have appeared in numerous ‘Top Blogger’ lists, here’s a few of them.
- Huffington Post – World’s Top Male Travel Bloggers
- Going Abroad Tips – The Who’s Who of Travel Snapchatting
- Mapping Megan – The Sexiest Male Travelers of 2015
- Good Is – Pro Travelers Share Life Lessons from The Road
- A Plus – Life Lessons People Learned While Traveling
- Coffee with a Slice of Life – The Sexiest Male Travel Blogger Alive
- Survey Bee – How to Make Money When You’re Traveling
- The Liberty Project – The Secrets to Long-term Travel
- Tripeasel – How to Get Your Blog Published by Big Brands (BBC, Yahoo, etc)
- Open World Magazine – The Top 30 Adventurers in The World Under 30
- Business Insider UK – Living the Dream Without Spending a Fortune
- Travel Pulse – 10 Inspirational Blogs to Get You Excited About Travel
GUEST POSTS AND INTERVIEWS
If you are interested in featuring me on your site or interviewing me for a podcast or radio show, please get in touch with the subject ‘Interview’.
- Nomadic Matt – Featured Member: The Broke Backpacker
- Reuters.com – Paradise for $20
- South America Magazine – Real Adventures with The Broke Backpacker
- Credit Walk – Dear Nora: How do I sell Everything to Travel
- Divergent Travellers – Every Adventurer Should Go to Venezuela
- The Professional Hobo – A Week in the Life of The Broke Backpacker
- Global Gallivanting – Interview with Will from The Broke Backpacker
- Wanderable Gypset – Interview with The Broke Backpacker
- Blaze your Adventure – Adventure Series: The Broke Backpacker
- She Loves to Travel – Off the Beaten Path with The Broke Backpacker
- Travel Blogger Interviews – Interview with The Broke Backpacker
- The Cool Graduate – Will Hatton: Geography Grad to Pro Travel Blogger
- Teacake Travels – Journeys from Hell and Heaven
- While I’m Young and Skinny – Venezuela with The Broke Backpacker
- We Said Go Travel – Budget Adventures with Will Hatton
- A Southern Gypsy – Meet the Gypsies: Will Hatton of The Broke Backpacker
- The Roaming Renegades – Fascinating and Unique Tattoo Stories
- The Europe Diaries – Backpacking Around the World for Seven Years
- Along Dusty Roads – Couchsurfing with The Broke Backpacker
- Travelosio – 10 Questions with Will of The Broke Backpacker
- Lash World Tour – Top 100 Male Travel Bloggers
- Backpacker Travel – Top Contributor: Will Hatton
- The Planet D – Braving Venezuela with Will Hatton
- We Said Go Travel – Couchsurfing in the Kidnap Capital of the World
- We Said Go Travel – The Broke Backpacker on Voluntourism
- Coffee with a Slice of Life – Venezuela and the Many Mistruths
- A Passion and a Passport – 8 Ways to Travel the World for Super Cheap
- Bunch of Backpackers – Sleep Less, Dream More – Cavesurfing in Jordan
COMPANIES WE’VE WORKED WITH:
GET IN TOUCH
Due to the extremely large volume of emails we receive on a daily basis, please note the following…
- We do not offer free exposure for start-ups, apps or anything else.
- We do not share infographics.
- We do not work for free – so don’t ask.
- We do not work in exchange for products or services alone.
- We do not sell links.
- We do not take guest posts anymore – sorry.
- Unless you have a budget of at least $1500, we will not be able to work together on a campaign.