Once a year, all eyes in South America are fixated on Colombia’s Barranquilla. Home one of the largest Carnival Festivals in the world, the party in Barranquilla is enough to put Sodom and Gomorrah to shame. Even if you don’t manage to catch the music and the craziness of Carnival, Barranquilla has a nightlife like no other. With its Carribean breeze and gorgeous coastline, you are in for an adventure unlike any other!
Being a popular city for partying and hitting the clubs, you will find several great backpackers hostels in Barranquilla. But sorting through the various dorm rooms and budget hotels is sure to take some time.
We made finding the best hostels in Barranquilla as easy as one, two, three with this one-stop guide! Now you can book with confidence that you will be staying in a hostel that suits how you like to travel!
Before you know it you will be finding yourself on the beaches and tearing up the dancefloor! Your adventure in Barranquilla awaits!
Quick answer: The Best Hostels in Barranquilla
- Overall Best Hostel in Barranquilla – Mamy Dorme Hostel
- Best Hostel for Solo Travelers in Barranquilla – La Quinta Bacana Hostal
- Best Cheap Hostel in Barranquilla – The Meeting Point Hostel
- Best Hostel for Couples in Barranquilla – Casa Mazal
- Best Party Hostel in Barranquilla – Casa Tropicalia
The Best Hostels in Barranquilla
Backpacking Colombia with at stop-over in Barranquilla? First of all, good choice, you’ll be in for a real treat. Below you will find all of the best budget hostels that Barranquilla has to offer! Each one is a little different from the last so keep your eyes peeled for the one that fits how you like to travel!
Best Overall Hostel in Barranquilla – Mamy Dorme Hostel
- Bike Hire
- Breakfast Not Included
PUtting you in some of the cheapest beds in all of Barranquilla, you will find that classic backpacker’s experience at Mamy Dorme Hostel! With its laid back vibes, inviting lounges, wide-open terrace with hammocks, and cold beers just waiting to be cracked open, this is a hostel where you are meant to just kick back, relax, and mix with the other travelers. You can really get your adventure in Barranquilla started off on the right foot with their bicycle hire, giving you the opportunity to explore the city from the back of a bike!
Best Hostel for Solo Travelers in Barranquilla – La Quinta Bacana Hostal
- Breakfast 10,000 Pesos
If you are a solo backpacker on the road for some time, you will need one of the top hostels in Barranquilla to call home for a while in order to recharge your batteries (probably literally) and chat with the other guests. With some of the cheapest beds in Barranquilla and a laid back atmosphere, La Quinta Bacana Hostal makes for the perfect place to just lounge around with a beer and chat with the other backpackers. Putting you 1.5km from the downtown, you will be close enough to walk to all the best sights but far away enough to get a good night’s sleep!
Best Cheap Hostel in Barranquilla – The Meeting Point Hostel
At The Meeting Point Hostel, you will not just get some of the cheapest bed in all of Barranquilla, you will also be staying in a backpackers hostel that knows how to get the party started! With live music and even a bar, you will not need to go out to the club to find a place to grab a drink and dance the night away! Even if you are just looking for a place to relax, this budget backpackers hostel has plenty of lounges and a terrace to spread out in, perfect for just kicking back and socializing!
Best Hostel for Couples in Barranquilla – Casa Mazal
For just a few pesos more than a dorm in a backpackers hostel, you and your special travel partner can leave the shared rooms with 10 other people behind and cozy up into one of the most trendy guesthouses in Barranquilla. Casa Mazal has cheap private rooms, but still maintains the heart and soul of a youth hostel. When you have had your fill of alone time, you can relax in one of the colorful lounges or the terrace and mix with the other travelers! With its games inside the guesthouse and tours helping you go out and explore Barranquilla, there is no better place to kick off your adventure!
Best Party Hostel in Barranquilla – Casa Tropicalia
- Shared Kitchen
When staying at Casa Tropicalia, you will find that there are tons of places to get drinks and food nearby the hostel, but if you are really looking to have the night of your life, the best party can be found at the hostel! With its very own bar, restaurant, and an atmosphere that will have you up on your feet and dancing to the music, Casa Tropicalia takes the prize for the best party hostel in Barranquilla! With its lounges and a terrace, you will always have the chouse of just relaxing on a hammock or leaning up against the bar! Putting you right in the heart of Barranquilla, you will find no better hostel to base yourself out of!
Psst! Heading to a hostel? Don’t forget to pack a padlock! It’s well worth having one so you can secure your locker and protect your stuff!
More of the Best Hostels in Barranquilla
- Shared Kitchen
- Breakfast Not Included
If you are looking for a cheap place to crash while traveling through Barranquilla Hostal Puerta de Oro is a budget backpacker’s hostel located in the heart of the city. With the convention center, several museums, and some of the best restaurants and bars nearby, you won’t have to wander too far to find something to do. You may have come to this backpacker’s hostel for the cheap beds, but you will stay for the vibe. With its terrace and lounges, you will feel just like a local chilling outside with an open beer.
Single-use plastic bottles are a huge threat to Marine Life – Be a part of the solution and travel with a filter water bottle.
The GRAYL GEOPRESS water bottle is the ONLY all-in-one filter water bottle setup you’ll need. Whether you need to purify the water from a hostel sink in Kathmandu or a stream trickle in the Andes, the Geopress has got you covered.
Read our full review of the GRAYL GEOPRESS!
- Breakfast Not Included
As one of the newest backpacker’s hostels in Barranquilla, this is a place that you will want to keep your eye on! Already Hostal Alto De Los Nogales has been making waves with its spacious rooms and inviting garden with hammocks, but we can only assume that things will keep getting better! Putting you in the hotel zone of Barranquilla, you can enjoy all the luxury and peacefulness of the neighborhood while staying in budget dorm rooms! With many supermarkets and malls nearby, you will feel right at home in Barranquilla!
What to Pack for your Barranquilla Hostel
We don’t often travel without these essentials. Packing for Colombia is just as important as planning your trip.
1. TRTL Travel Pillow: Long flights and bus rides are quite uncomfortable (most obvious statement of the day). Most travel pillows… Well, you know how they are. TRTL travel pillow is different. I mean, look at it! It’ll cuddle you to sleep every ride and it does a pretty damn good job of supporting your neck so you don’t get that stiffness or legendary popping when you stir.
2. Active Roots Water Bottle: Hostels are increasingly meeting backpackers’ demands for potable (drinkable) water. Now is better than ever to start traveling with a reusable water bottle! Aside from cutting down single-use plastic, The Active Roots stainless steel water bottle will also keep your favorite beverage hot or cold all day long and it’s sized perfectly to fit an entire bottle of wine. ‘Nuff said.
3. Noise-Cancelling Earbuds: Noise in hostels… is a thing. Your bunkmate coming in late, motorbike traffic just below your window, construction on the property or the round-the-clock rooster that seems to follow you to every f*cking hostel. Having a way to escape the noise while you sleep makes for a well-rested morning. Noise canceling ear-buds are a great solution, just put on your favorite artist or load a quick Netflix episode to fall asleep too.
4. Universal Travel Adapter: Not every country has the same electrical plug style, so carry along a universal travel adapter. You’ll want one that covers varying voltage levels, has protection from power surges, a fried laptop is not fun, and enough ports so you don’t have to spend all day individually charging your devices.
5. Active Roots Microfiber Towel: Quick-drying, lightweight, super soft and compact – the Active Roots Microfiber Towel is essential for every backpacker. No need to use the scabby towels your hostel may or may not provide! Use it for drying off, as a yoga towel or even as a picnic blanket – the options don’t stop here. Made of antibacterial material, you don’t have to worry about your towel starting to smell unpleasant either after lots of use.
6. Power Bank: Everyone knows the mini heart attack when your phone is about to run out of power. Surviving long bus rides without charging stations can be agonizing, which is why every backpacker should have this Anker Power Bank. You can charge your phone up to 5 times, or plug in two devices simultaneously. With high-speed charging and enough power to keep you going for days, you can conquer even the biggest adventures without a problem.
Why you should travel to Barranquilla
In Barranquilla, you have so many different ways to get the party started! From lounging around in the lounge to leaning against the bar! If you are still unsure on where to stay in Barranquilla let us point you in the right direction. Mamy Dorme Hostel is the one place that checks all the boxes and will make you feel like part of the family, that is why they get our vote for the best backpackers hostel in Barranquilla!
Over to you
The music and parties in Barranquilla will never stop! From the insane bars to the relaxing beaches, you will have everything you need in Barranquilla to nurse that hangover and find yourself back on the dancefloor the next night! With tropical weather and rich history, this city has it all!
A lot of how your vacation in Barranquilla will go depends on what hostel you check into. Will you be lounging around in the garden or heading out to the clubs? The hostel you stay in will give you a unique experience, showcasing a different side of Barranquilla!
If you’re planning on travelling further, you can be sure that you’ll always find a place to rest your head. There are amazing hostels all over Colombia, each offering a safe home-away-from-home, a chance to meet like-minded travellers and an affordable price for the night.
Have you ever partied in Barranquilla at a great backpacker’s hostel we may have missed? Let us know in the comments below!
And don’t forget Travel Insurance! We’ve put together a roundup of Travel Insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads, our favorite travel insurance provider.
Do you own or run a kick ass hostel? Want to be featured in this list? Get in touch at [email protected]
Yay for transparency! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, The Broke Backpacker will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps keep the site going.