Strap on your hiking boots and get ready to treck through some of the most pristine mountains and forests on the planet. Nestled between the Pacific Ocean and mighty Patagonia mountains in Chile, Puerto Natales is the jumping off point for many backpackers venturing off into Parque Nacional Torres del Paine.
Being such an outdoorsy hub, Puerto Natales attracts adventurous hikers from around the world. While there are plenty of “hostels” in Puerto Natales, none of them quite suit a backpackers budget. How can you know where to stay and get the most out of your money when staying in Puerto Natales?
That’s precisely why we made this guide, showing you the best hostels in Puerto Natales. By the time you finish reading this guide, YOU will know the town of Purto Natales like the back of your hand, as well as all of the top budget backpackers hostels!
Get ready for some breathtaking chilly harbors and tall mountain peaks, the wilderness of Chile is calling your name!
So peep our guide to the top hostels in Puerto Natales below!
Quick answer: The Best Hostels in Puerto Natales
- Best Overall Hostel in Puerto Natales – Hostal Treehouse Patagonia
- Best Party Hostel in Puerto Natales–Wild Hostel
- Best Hostel for Solo Travellers in Puerto Natales – Nikos II Adventure
- Best Cheap Hostel in Puerto Natales – Hostal Backpacker Cortes
- Best Hostel for Couples in Puerto Natales – Yaganhouse
- Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Puerto Natales –The Singing Lamb Hostel
- Best Hostel with a Private Room in Puerto Natales – Hospedaje de Maria
The Best Hostels in Puerto Natales
Here is your one-stop, no-nonsense guide on the highest recommended and coolest youth hostels in all of Puerto Natales. For a small fishing village, Puerto Natales has a fair share of hostel within its limits and each is a bit different. With this list, you are sure to find the hostel perfect for you while you’re backpacking through Chile!
Best Overall Hostel in Puerto Natales – Hostal Treehouse Patagonia
- Shared Kitchen
For your perfect, well-rounded hostel, Treehouse Patagonia tops the list out of all the hostels in Puerto Natales. If the atmosphere alone is not enough to make you fall head over heels for this hostel, the staff will win you over by treating you as if you were their long lost friend.
This down to earth youth hostel has the spirit of a boutique hotel with its cute decorations and relaxing lounge spaces. You will quickly find yourself putting off your treck up into the frigid mountains day after day, not wanting to leave the warmth of Hostal Treehouse Patagonia.
Best Party Hostel in Puerto Natales – Wild Hostel
Wild Hostel takes the crown for being by far the coolest hostel in all of Puerto Natales. While this sleepy little fishing village is known for having a raging nightlife. Wild Hostel is sure to have you loosened up and ready to mingle with the other backpackers.
Wild Hostel also offers live music nights, a library, and even a gift shop all within its doors. Wild Hostel is both the perfect place to celebrate the right before your adventure or even the closing of your Patagonia treck!
Best Hostel for Solo Travellers in Puerto Natales – Nikos II Adventure
- Free Breakfast
- Free Pick-up
- Rental Camping Gear
When traveling through Puerto Natales, you want to be able to find a hostel that will make sure you are well prepared for your wilderness adventure in the Patagonia Mountains.
Traveling through these remote mountain passes will prove to be even more difficult as a solo traveler. Nikos II Adventure is not only one of the top youth hostels in Puerto Natales, but will also make sure you have everything you need from organizing to stocking up for your treck!
Nikos II also offers its guests free pick-up from the bus station, rental gear for your hikes, free breakfast, and a fantastic location that will put you close to all the action in Puerto Natales!
Best Cheap Hostel in Puerto Natales – Hostal Backpacker Cortes
Finding a cheap hosel in Puerto Natales is no easy task, but Hostal Backpacker Cortes takes the cake for maintaining low prices without giving up comfort or an overall chill atmosphere.
Not only will you be able to stay in this budget hostel for a fraction of the price compared with the other guys, but you will be also given stunning views of the harbor and mountains straight from your bunk bed!
Best Hostel for Couples in Puerto Natales – Yaganhouse
- Bicycle/Gear Rental
If you are wanting to pay a little bit extra for added comfort and ambiance to spend with your partner in crime, look no further that Yaganhouse. The owner is an extreme advocate for sustainable living, which is apparent with the decor of the hotel.
The living rooms with make you feel right at home while the bedrooms are decorated in such a way that you will not be wanting to separate from your significant other on those cold winter mornings, laying in your spacious soft bed.
Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Puerto Natales – The Singing Lamb Hostel
- Spacious Lounge
- Shared Kitchen
After a long trek up into the mountains, discounted from the outside world, your modern-day digital nomad will need ample time plugged back into the web as soon as they reach civilization.
There is no better hostel to do that in than The Singing Lamb Hostel. This hostel is recommended to you bloggers and vloggers for its ample amount of space to spread out in. With comfortable lounges and a spacious dining room, your tech-savvy backpackers have plenty of room to edit or write anything they want.
Best Hostel with a Private Room in Puerto Natales – Hospedaje de Maria
- Cable TV
Hospedaji is less like your typical hostel and more like a homestay. When walking in Lodging Maria you feel as if you have entered a relatives house. The private rooms are cozy and will have you reminiscing of your own childhood room.
While guests are not allowed to use the kitchen, you are sure to be stuffed and licking your plate clean after eating their delectable breakfast.
Psst! Heading to a hostel? Don’t forget to pack a padlock! It’s well worth having one so you can secure your locker and protect your stuff!
More Best Hostels In Puerto Natales
- Outdoor Terrace
- Board Games
When all other hostels fail to impress, you will always have Hostel Last Hope (unless the name was just a reference to Star Wars that is) This hostel is one of the few pet-friendly hostels in the Puerto Natales, so be sure to bring your pupster along for the ride!
Last Hope also offers its backpackers a kitchen and grill which is perfect for chowing down and chatting with other travelers. With one of the most chill hostel atmospheres in all of Chile, you are sure to call Hostel Last Hope home for your time in the Patagonia Mountains.
- Rental Equipment
- Laundry Service
- Rock Climbing Wall
Hostal Lili-Patagonicos checks everything down your typical backpackers’ list, therefore making it one of the best hostels of 2020. This hostel not only dazzles with its bright colors and cozy rooms, Lili-Patagonicos dazzles travelers with its on-site rack climbing wall.
Although a bit more expensive when compared with other hostels in Puerto Natales, this hostel guarantees you some of the best private rooms in town!
Hostal San Augustin is not the place for those looking to party or go crazy on an all-night rager. Those looking for a quiet, immaculate, no-nonsense hostel will feel quite at peace at Hostal San Augustin.
The ladies who own this hostel keep a tight ship, making sure everything is extremely clean to the point where you can see your face in just about anything. The ladies also cook up a mean breakfast, keeping you full and ready for a day of adventure.
While the owner style may not suit the more “free-spirited bunch” Hostal San Augustin still deserves a spot on our list of best hostels in Puerto Natales!
What to Pack for your Puerto Natales Hostel
Here’s some gear our editors take hostelling.
1. Active Roots Microfiber Towel: Having your own towel is a must when traveling since most hostels don’t provide them. Plus as a backpacker, use of a towel will extend further than just showers, it’s a minimalist yoga towel and a great beach blanket/towel combo! The Active Roots Microfiber Towel is really the best solution for backpacking.
2. Power Bank: Everyone knows the mini heart attack when your phone is about to run out of power. Surviving long bus rides without charging stations can be agonizing, which is why every backpacker should have this Anker Power Bank. You can charge your phone up to 5 times, or plug in two devices simultaneously. With high-speed charging and enough power to keep you going for days, you can conquer even the biggest adventures without a problem.
3. Universal Travel Adapter: Not every country has the same electrical plug style, so carry along a universal travel adapter. You’ll want one that covers varying voltage levels, has protection from power surges, a fried laptop is not fun, and enough ports so you don’t have to spend all day individually charging your devices.
4. Active Roots Toiletry Bag: Your toothpaste is lost in the depths of your backpack again? You won’t have this problem with the Active Roots Toiletry bag. The bag is made from a durable, water-resistant material, which can be a lifesaver on long travels. Super cool bonus: for every purchase, the company donates to an environmentally-friendly charity – it’s a win-win situation for everyone.
5. Playing Cards: These waterproof cards are essential kit for every backpacker. Play by the pool, beach or at your hostel after a long day with travel buds, without your cards breaking or getting soaked. And once you pull out those cards, the chance that you’ll be the hero of the night is pretty high (no promises though).
6. Noise-Cancelling Earbuds: You’ll have some pretty sorry roommates – it happens from time to time. These noise-canceling earbuds help mitigate the damage. The comfortable and ergonomic design won’t hurt your ears while sleeping no matter how long you keep them in. Increase the quality of your sleep by listening to some relaxing music at night or just enjoy the silence.
Why you should travel to Puerto Natales
I hope you got your hiking shoes on! Your Patagonia Mountain adventure awaits!
In Puerto Natales, you don’t have a lot of true budget options for hostels. If you are going to be shelling out the extra dough, you want to be sure you are getting the most bang for your buck!
The one hostel that truly covers all the bases and appeals to all kinds of travelers is Wild Hostel. I know most of you are thinking: “On-site bar? Say no more!”
With high altitudes and stunning views, you are sure to have your breath taken away in more ways than one when traveling to Puerto Natales!
Travel Safety Tips for Puerto Natales
And don’t forget Travel Insurance! We’ve put together a roundup of Travel Insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads, our favorite travel insurance provider.
More Epic Hostels in Chile and South America
Hopefully by now you’ve found the perfect hostel for your upcoming trip to Puerto Natales.
Planning an epic trip all across Chile or even South America itself?
Don’t worry – we’ve got you covered!
For more cool hostel guides around South America, check out:
Over to you
By now I hope our epic guide to the best hostels in Puerto Natales has helped you choose the perfect hostel for your adventure!
If you think we’ve missed anything or have any further thoughts, hit us up in the comments!
Yay for transparency! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, The Broke Backpacker will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps keep the site going.