After weeks of exploring the stunning wilderness of the Andes, descend the mountains to the booming city of Santa Cruz de la Sierra! As one of the fastest-growing cities in the entire world, all eyes of Bolivia are on this up and coming tourist hub. With a mix of traditional culture and modern style, you will have your option of exploring Santa Cruz’s rich history during the day and partying at night. Once you check all the sites of the city off of your list you will find just as much beauty outside of the city as downtown!
Bolivia’s Santa Cruz de la Sierra may have more than enough to have you dreaming about chilling in the trendy cafes, exploring the centuries-old churches, and venturing off to the nearby deserts, but there is one thing that may have you second-guessing your trip to this one of a kind city. With only a handful of hostels to choose from, it is quite difficult to find that one stay that fits how you like to travel.
No need to get discouraged! We brought all of the best hostels in Santa Cruz to one place so you can search with ease and find that one hostel that will have you exploring Bolivia the way you want to.
Get ready to both lace up your hiking boots and put on your dancing shoes, Santa Cruz offers a little bit of everything.
Quick Answer: The Best Hostels in Santa Cruz, Bolivia
- Overall Best Hostel in Santa Cruz – Backpackers Suites
- Best Hostel for Solo Travelers in Santa Cruz – Coco Jamboo Hostel
- Best Cheap Hostel in Santa Cruz – Residencial Ikandire II
- Best Hostel for Couples in Santa Cruz – Mainumbi House
- Best Party Hostel in Santa Cruz – La Jara Backpackers Hostel
- Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Santa Cruz – Casa Cruz Hostel
The Best Hostels in Santa Cruz
In just a few clicks you will be drinking traditional chicha at the bar and exploring the vibrant culture of Santa Cruz. Be sure to stop in this charming city on your backpacking Bolivia trip. But first, you will have to find that hostel that will set the tone for your stop-over. With each hostel a little different from the last be sure to look for that one stay that best fits you!
Best Overall Hostel in Santa Cruz – Backpackers Suites
Putting you right down the street from the main square and the Metropolitan Cathedral, Backpackers Suite is an upscale backpacker’s hostel that will put you right smack in the middle of Santa Cruz! Other than having you right next to all the best pubs and restaurants in the city, Backpackers Suites will also hook you up with their very own bar and cafe! With a free breakfast waiting for you on the table every morning, you will be almost jumping out of bed to rush to the dining room to chow down. Other it may be called Backpackers Suites, you will still find some of the cheapest dorm beds in Santa Cruz!
Best Hostel for Solo Travelers in Santa Cruz – Coco Jamboo Hostel
– Free Breakfast
– Shared Kitchen
Socializing is a major part of what makes Coco Jamboo Hostel tick! Putting you right in the heart of Santa Cruz, just a few blocks away from all the best sites in the downtown, you could not ask for a better place to base yourself out of. This trendy and youthful backpackers hostel will be your home away from home. With its cozy lounges and outdoor terrace, Coco Jamboo Hostel will have you practically looking forward to heading back to the lounge to kick back and hang out with the other backpackers. When you start getting hungry, Coco Jamboo Hostel has you covered! With a shared kitchen and even free breakfast served every morning, you will never have to wander too far to find a bite to eat!
Best Cheap Hostel in Santa Cruz – Residencial Ikandire II
– Private Rooms
When it comes to saving money while traveling in Bolivia, Residencial Ikandire II will not only have you staying in some of the cheapest beds in Santa Cruz, but they will also give you an upgrade to your very own private room! Although you will be missing out on a big social element from your common backpacker’s hostel, this guesthouse will have you staying in single rooms for a price that even beats the dorm beds! Other than the cozy budget rooms at Residencial Ikandire II, you will also find that this stay has its very own terrace and even a small sitting area! With a location in one of the more quiet neighborhoods of Santa Cruz, but still close to all the best sites, you couldn’t ask for a better location!
Best Hostel for Couples in Santa Cruz – Mainumbi House
– Private Rooms
– Bus Stop Nearby
Have you been traveling on the road for a while as a couple and are looking to forget about the hostels for a few nights and turn on the romance in your own space? Mainumbi House will hook you up with not only some of the cheapest private rooms in Santa Cruz but even with budget dorm beds! Located just a little over a kilometer from the downtown, you will be able to enjoy all the peace and quiet of the suburbs, while still being within a stone’s throw of all the best sites of Santa Cruz! With Mainumbi House’s homey vibes and inviting garden, this guesthouse is the kind of stay where you will be never wanting to check out!
Best Party Hostel in Santa Cruz – La Jara Backpackers Hostel
– Outdoor Swimming Pool
Crack open a beer and pull up a chair next to the pool, La Jara Backpackers Hostel is that one place in Santa Cruz where all you party animals can hang out by the bar and take a dip for whenever the mood should strike you! With a garden and a lounge, this stay is all about hanging out with the other guests and enjoying the warm tropical weather of Santa Cruz! The sitting areas and terrace is just the beginning, La Jara Backpackers Hostel ups the ante with their onsite cafe, serving hungry guests a delicious breakfast every morning. For a hostel that literally checks all the boxes, look no further than La Jara!
Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Santa Cruz – Casa Cruz Hostel
After traveling all over the Andes Mountains and the rest of Bolivia, all you digital nomads out there will need to find a backpackers to base yourself out of for a few days to catch up on some much-needed writing and editing. There is no better place to get to work in Santa Cruz than the Casa Cruz Hostel. With your choice of cheap dorm beds or your own private room, you will have the option of having some peace and quiet or saving a few extra bucks by moving into a bunk! With ample room to spread out in, you will have tons of space to get to work on your blog or vlog. The icing on the cake is the onsite restaurant and bar, making it easy for you to grab a bite or a drink without being away from your laptop for too long!
More of the Best Hostels in Santa Cruz
– Rooftop Terrace
– Breakfast Included
360 Grados Hostel is called 360 for a reason. From the rooftop terrace of this centrally located backpackers hostel, you will be amazed at the breathtaking panoramic views of the downtown and the rest of Santa Cruz! So pull up a chair and soak up the sun, this backpackers hostel will have you enjoying Santa Cruz to the fullest. And it is not just the terrace that you will fall in love with, 360 Grados Hostel also has its very own cafe where they serve a delicious free breakfast every morning. Top it off with a shared kitchen and even tours taking you around and outside Santa Cruz, you will feel right at home in Santa Cruz!
– Breakfast Included
Putting you in a colonial-inspired building, you will be staying in a part of local history right in the heart of Santa Cruz! Located just a few steps away from the city square, all of the best museums and cathedrals will be waiting right outside of your door! When you are not out exploring the city, Nomad Hostel is here to give you a place to kick back and relax! With its spacious lounges and outdoor terrace, you will find that there is tons of room to spread out in and chat with the other backpackers. Complete with a bar and even a cafe, Nomad Hostel has earned its spot as one of the top hostels in Santa Cruz Bolivia!
The GRAYL GEOPRESS water bottle is the ONLY all-in-one filter water bottle setup you'll need. Whether you need to purify the water from a hostel sink in Kathmandu or a stream trickle in the Andes, the Geopress has got you covered. Check out our full review here for more convincing.
– Free Breakfast
Not much could be better than swinging in a hammock in the bright sunny garden of this youth hostel while listening to the birds chirping overhead. You may not have any dorm rooms at My Green House, but you will be staying in some cozy private rooms and hanging out in lounges and a terrace which channel your classic backpacker’s hostel vibes! When you are not kicking back in the garden or chatting with the other guests in the lounge, My Green House will pamper you with their onsite cafe serving up a delicious breakfast every morning!
– Breakfast Included
As the sister hostel of Residencial Ikandire II, this backpackers hostel will have you staying in some of the cheapest single rooms in all of Santa Cruz! And that is just the beginning! This budget-friendly guesthouse has everything from a sunny terrace to relaxing lounges where you can socialize with the other travelers! You will have some of the best restaurants and bars nearby, but you may find that the best place to grab a bite to eat is actually at the guesthouse! Putting you right by the historic Santa Cruz Cathedral, you will be staying just a few steps from all the best sites in the downtown!
What to Pack for your Santa Cruz, Bolivia Hostel
Pants, socks, underwear… Here are some other items you might not have thought to pack.
1. Active Roots Microfiber Towel: Quick-drying, lightweight, super soft and compact – the Active Roots Microfiber Towel is essential for every backpacker. No need to use the scabby towels your hostel may or may not provide! Use it for drying off, as a yoga towel or even as a picnic blanket – the options don’t stop here. Made of antibacterial material, you don’t have to worry about your towel starting to smell unpleasant either after lots of use.
2. Active Roots Water Bottle: Sturdy and durable, the Active Roots water bottle survives the roughest adventures while keeping your drink cold or hot for at least 24 hours. Vacuum-sealed and made from stainless steel, the bottle can fit 25oz, which is plenty to keep you hydrated. Super cool bonus: the bottle isn’t just super useful, it helps to reduce the single-use plastic waste – save the planet by filling up your bottle.
3. Playing Cards: Name your ideal night: I’m for a few cheap beers and some card games. Oh, and you don’t even have to be drinking to enjoy a game – having cards with you traveling definitely helps out on those long airplane or beach days! Make sure to snag a waterproof deck to protect from the pool, ocean or Chang.
4. Headphone Splitter: You’re the one with the Netflix account and your friend wants to watch too? But you don’t want to share headphones? And you’re good people who wouldn’t disturb your dorm mates? That’s not going to be a problem with this Headphone Splitter! Plug in two pairs of headphones at the same time, so both of you are able to listen to music or watch shows simultaneously. It comes in handy and won’t weigh you down.
5. Power Bank: Everyone knows the mini heart attack when your phone is about to run out of power. Surviving long bus rides without charging stations can be agonizing, which is why every backpacker should have this Anker Power Bank. You can charge your phone up to 5 times, or plug in two devices simultaneously. With high-speed charging and enough power to keep you going for days, you can conquer even the biggest adventures without a problem.
6. TRTL Travel Pillow: Nothing is worse than a sleep-deprived and grumpy backpacker. Do yourself a favour and get some decent rest with this comfortable TRTL travel pillow. The ergonomic design (fancy!) makes it possible to sleep upright, which can be a real struggle with normal neck pillows. Having this cool pillow makes long bus rides or flights way more enjoyable – and who knows, maybe you’ll even be looking forward to it next time. If so, leave those guys a good review.
Why you should travel to Santa Cruz
There you have it, folks! Our list of all the best backpackers hostels in Santa Cruz! Before you know it you will be exploring to deserts, hiking through the wetlands, and strolling through the lively streets of the city. The culture alone is more than enough to have you falling in love with this unique Bolivian metropolis!
Are you still a bit torn as to which hostel to stay in? We can totally understand, let us point you in the right direction by having you check into Backpackers Suites, our pick for the best hostel in Santa Cruz!
Over to you
When traveling to Santa Cruz de la Sierra you will have your choice each day of venturing out to the surrounding national parks, taking in the local history, or taking a load off and enjoying all of the modern comforts of the city. Within Santa Cruz, you will find bustling squares and towering cathedrals. Once you have your fill of meeting the people of this diverse city, get back into nature by journeying out to Lomas de Arena or the botanical gardens. With so much to do, it will take weeks to enjoy everything Santa Cruz hast offer.
The handful of hostels found withing Santa Cruz will make your trip to this booming Bolivian city. With everything from your quiet guesthouses to your crazy party hostels and everything in between, you will be able to find that perfect stay that will have you traveling to Santa Cruz the way you want to!
If you have ever traveled to Santa Cruz Bolivia we would love to hear about your trip! Let us know in the comments below if there are any great backpackers hostels we may have missed.
And don’t forget to sort your travel insurance before heading to Santa Cruz! We’ve put together a roundup of the best travel insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads, our favorite travel insurance provider.
Do you own or run a kick ass hostel? Want to be featured in this list? Get in touch at [email protected]
Yay for transparency! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, The Broke Backpacker will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps keep the site going.