Home to the world’s largest salt flats, Bolivia’s Uyuni is a city that is sure to be on every adventurer’s bucket list! You have seen the cheeky pictures online of tourists using Uyuni’s mystical landscape to create some optical illusions in their photography, now you can witness all the wonder of Salar de Uyuni first hand! Other than the reflections and off worldly beauty of the flats, Uyuni is a town where you can simply chill at the cafe or explore the museums before heading out elsewhere in Bolivia! With a rich history and stunning natural beauty, this is a city you won’t want to miss!
Uyuni has more than enough to have backpackers traveling from all over the world to make the journey out to Salar de Uyuni, but unfortunately, they will only find a handful of youth hostels to choose from in the downtown. Just because there is a lack of dorm rooms does this mean budget travelers can’t also visit the salt flats of Uyuni?
Let’s spend less time worrying about hostels and get you back to planning your trip! We created a list of all the best hostels in Uyuni so you can book with confidence that you will be staying in only the best dorms that this city has to offer!
Put on your backpackers and get ready for the adventure of a lifetime! Uyuni awaits!
Quick Answer: The Best Hostels in Uyuni
- Overall Best Hostel in Uyuni – Piedra Blanca Backpackers Hostel
- Best Hostel for Solo Travelers in Uyuni – Onkel Inn Wagon Sleepbox
- Best Cheap Hostel in Uyuni – Bunker Hostel
- Best Hostel for Couples in Uyuni – Salcay Hotel
- Best Party Hostel in Uyuni – Hostel Arco Iris
- Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Uyuni – Hostal Terra
The Best Hostels in Uyuni
The cloud covered salt flats are a site that will leave you mesmerized, but before you can start exploring, we will need to find that perfect hostel! With each stay a little different from the last, keep your eyes open for that one backpacker’s hostel that will make the perfect home away from home!
Best Overall Hostel in Uyuni – Piedra Blanca Backpackers Hostel
- Shared Kitchen
- Breakfast Included
Uyuni is known for its extreme weather, while it may reach sub-zero temperatures outside Piedra Blanca Backpackers Hostel is a place that is always warm and will make you feel right at home. Located 7 minutes away from downtown Uyuni, you will find that all the best restaurants, bars, and shops are right outside of your door! When you are not out exploring the city or the salt flats staying at the youth hostel is an adventure in itself! With its terrace and lounge, there is tons of room to spread out in and hang out with the other guests! Wanting to get a bite to eat? Piedra Blanca Backpackers Hostel also has its very own shared kitchen and cafe that serves up free breakfast every morning!
Best Hostel for Solo Travelers in Uyuni – Onkel Inn Wagon Sleepbox
- Breakfast Included
Onkel Inn Wagon Sleepbox may be one of the most unique backpacker’s hostels you will ever stay in throughout all of your travels! Located right inside the train station in Onkel, it is only fitting that all the single rooms and dorm beds will be situated inside actually train cars! Although you won’t actually be moving anywhere, sleeping inside of a train will give you an experience unlike any other! Other than the rooms themselves, Onkel Inn Wagon Sleepbox also comes with its very own terrace and lounge to kick back and relax in! Top it off with a free breakfast waiting for you every morning, and you have one of the best hostels in Uyuni!
Best Cheap Hostel in Uyuni – Bunker Hostel
- Tour Desk
While in Uyuni you will be wanting to spend more money on tours out to the salt flats than on your hostel bed. So if you are looking for the cheapest dorm rooms in Uyuni, Bunker Hostel is calling your name! Other than being a haven for budget backpackers, Bunker Hostel is practically a travelers resort with its very own delicious restaurant and bar on-site! With happy hour specials and free breakfast every morning, this is one hostel you will never want to check out of! This cheap backpackers hostel in Uyuni also has its very own tour desk which will have you out and exploring the salt flats and some of the surrounding mountains before you know it!
Best Hostel for Couples in Uyuni – Salcay Hotel
- Breakfast Included
After you have spent some time apart in dorm beds throughout your travels in Bolivia, you and your boyfriend or girlfriend will be wanting to find a hostel where you can get some much needed alone time. Traveling as a budget couple is not easy, but lucky for you Salcay Hotel will put you in some of the cheapest private rooms in Uyuni, beating even some of the best hostels in town! Salcay Hotel is so much more than a simple budget hotel though. This stay also has its very own cafe which will have a delicious free breakfast waiting for you every morning! Complete with a rooftop terrace offering stunning views of the city, there is no better place to base yourself out of in Uyuni!
The GRAYL GEOPRESS water bottle is the ONLY all-in-one filter water bottle setup you'll need. Whether you need to purify the water from a hostel sink in Kathmandu or a stream trickle in the Andes, the Geopress has got you covered. Check out our full review here for more convincing.
Best Party Hostel in Uyuni – Hostel Arco Iris
- Breakfast Included
Nestled right smack into the middle of the lively Mercado de Uyuni, with all of its tourist shops and cafes, you will find the Hostel Arco Iris! This hostel is so much more than just a great location in the heart of Uyuni, this backpackers hostel also offers its weary guests a cheap dorm bed, hot meal, and a stiff drink from the onsite bar! Before heading out to explore the salt flats of Uyuni, Hostel Arco Iris is the perfect place to kick back and meet fellow backpackers who will accompany you on your journey! With free breakfast to start every day off right and a bar to grab a drink and brink every day to a close, Hostel Arco Iris makes for the perfect home away from home!
Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Uyuni – Hostal Terra
- Breakfast Included
Are you needing a hostel where you can work in peace and quiet for a few days so you can catch up on some much-needed editing and writing? Digital Nomads will find that Hostal Terra is one of the best places in Uyuni to base themselves out of in Uyuni, not only for its relaxing atmosphere but also because they offer single rooms for the exact same price as some dorm beds! Complete with a lounge and a terrace, Hostel Terra has loads of room to spread out in to work if you are looking for a change of scenery. Top things off with a cafe serving up free breakfast, this is one stay in Uyuni you will never want to leave!
More of the Best Hostels in Uyuni
- Breakfast Included
Last but not least, Hostal Beliz Inn B&B will have you keeping the noise of the city at an arms-length distance as you enjoy some peace and quiet while relaxing at this cheap hostel! Although you will not find any dorm beds at this hostel, there are budget single rooms perfect for getting some alone time and some much-needed shut-eye! When you aren’t relaxing in your room, Hostal Beliz Inn B&B also offers its guests access to their onsite bar and even a cafe that will have you hopping out of bed every morning to grab a bite of their free breakfast! Top it off with a lounge where you can mix with the other guests, Beliz Inn is a stay with a hotel’s comfort and a hostels charm!
What to Pack for your Uyuni Hostel
Pants, socks, underwear… Here are some other items you might not have thought to pack.
1. Active Roots Microfiber Towel: Quick-drying, lightweight, super soft and compact – the Active Roots Microfiber Towel is essential for every backpacker. No need to use the scabby towels your hostel may or may not provide! Use it for drying off, as a yoga towel or even as a picnic blanket – the options don’t stop here. Made of antibacterial material, you don’t have to worry about your towel starting to smell unpleasant either after lots of use.
2. Active Roots Water Bottle: Sturdy and durable, the Active Roots water bottle survives the roughest adventures while keeping your drink cold or hot for at least 24 hours. Vacuum-sealed and made from stainless steel, the bottle can fit 25oz, which is plenty to keep you hydrated. Super cool bonus: the bottle isn’t just super useful, it helps to reduce the single-use plastic waste – save the planet by filling up your bottle.
3. Playing Cards: Name your ideal night: I’m for a few cheap beers and some card games. Oh, and you don’t even have to be drinking to enjoy a game – having cards with you traveling definitely helps out on those long airplane or beach days! Make sure to snag a waterproof deck to protect from the pool, ocean or Chang.
4. Headphone Splitter: You’re the one with the Netflix account and your friend wants to watch too? But you don’t want to share headphones? And you’re good people who wouldn’t disturb your dorm mates? That’s not going to be a problem with this Headphone Splitter! Plug in two pairs of headphones at the same time, so both of you are able to listen to music or watch shows simultaneously. It comes in handy and won’t weigh you down.
5. Power Bank: Everyone knows the mini heart attack when your phone is about to run out of power. Surviving long bus rides without charging stations can be agonizing, which is why every backpacker should have this Anker Power Bank. You can charge your phone up to 5 times, or plug in two devices simultaneously. With high-speed charging and enough power to keep you going for days, you can conquer even the biggest adventures without a problem.
6. TRTL Travel Pillow: Nothing is worse than a sleep-deprived and grumpy backpacker. Do yourself a favour and get some decent rest with this comfortable TRTL travel pillow. The ergonomic design (fancy!) makes it possible to sleep upright, which can be a real struggle with normal neck pillows. Having this cool pillow makes long bus rides or flights way more enjoyable – and who knows, maybe you’ll even be looking forward to it next time. If so, leave those guys a good review.
Why you should travel to Uyuni
With both a rich history and stunning natural beauty, Uyuni has more than enough to have you wanting to extend your stay in the city longer and longer. Despite being a tourist hub, there are few backpackers hostels to base yourself out of. Lucky for you we made this list of all the top hostels in Uyuni!
If you are still torn between two or three great hostels in Uyuni we can totally relate. Let us help you get the ball moving by checking you into Piedra Blanca Backpackers Hostel, our pick for the best hostel in Uyuni!
Over to you
You may have originally arrived in Uyuni to venture out to the mesmerizing optical illusions of the salt flats, but it will be the charm of the city with its cafes and history that will really make you fall in love with Uyuni! After basking in the wonder of Salar de Uyuni, you will find that the downtown is the perfect place to call home for a few days before you head back out and explore more of the beauty of Bolivia!
The only thing that Uyuni is lacking is a variety of backpackers hostels for budget travelers to choose from. Even though on the surface it may seem that your options are quite limited, you will find that after looking at our list of the best backpackers hostels in Uyuni, you actually have a lot to pick from!
Have you ever traveled to Uyuni? We would love to hear about your trip! Let us know if there are any other great backpackers hostels in Uyuni we may have missed in the comments below!
Getting an estimate from World Nomads is simple – just click the button or image below, fill out the necessary info, and you’re on your way!
Do you own or run a kick ass hostel? Want to be featured in this list? Get in touch at [email protected]
Yay for transparency! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, The Broke Backpacker will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps keep the site going.