Just a stone’s throw across the river from Thailand, the Laotian capital of Vientiane is the gateway for tourists to the country. With rustic beauty and majestic temples, Vientiane is a city that never ceases to dazzle tourists.
From the glimmering golden stupa to intricate temples adorned with stone nagas and buddhas, Vientiane is a city brimming with history and religion!
Are you looking to party on the Mekong River or maintain a state of zen while you are in Vientiane? Depending on how you like to travel, you will need to find that perfect backpacker hostel!
We made finding the best hostels in Vientiane a cinch with this one-stop guide! You can now book with confidence that you will be staying in a hostel which suits how you like to travel!
The gateway to Laos awaits you! As does all of the temples and stupas of Vientiane!
Quick answer: The Best Hostels in Vientiane
- Best Overall Hostel in Vientiane – Barn 1920s Hostel
- Best Party Hostel in Vientiane – Dream Home Hostel
- Best Hostel for Solo Travelers in Vientiane – Sailomyen Cafe & Hostel
- Best Cheap Hostel in Vientiane – Ali Hotel
- Best Hostel for Couples in Vientiane – Vongkham Eco Resort
- Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Vientiane – PVO Hostel
- Best Hostel with a Private Room in Vientiane – Lucky Backpackers Hostel
Best Hostels in Vientiane
Vientiane is the capital city of Laos and that means you’ll find plenty of accommodation options. Spread across a lot of locations and areas, there are heaps of cool places to stay in Vientiane.
Below, we’ve reviewed our absolute favorite choices for backpackers to crash a night. Find something that suits and book ahead before some other weary traveller snags your bed.
Best Overall Hostel in Vientiane – Barn 1920s Hostel
- Coffee Bar
Decked out in 1920s decor, Barn 1920s Hostel gives you all the modern comforts mixed with a classic design! But it’s not just the atmosphere while makes Barn 1920s one of the best hostels in all of Vientiane!
At Barn 1920s Hostel backpackers will be hanging out in spacious vintage lounges, relaxing in a gorgeous garden, and even sipping on that famous Southeast Asian coffee in the hostel’s very own cafe!
In the morning, start off your day right with their complimentary breakfast and when it gets dark you will be just minutes away from the night food market!
Best Party Hostel in Vientiane – Dream Home Hostel
- Happy Hour
- Free Breakfast
If you are looking to party with games and drinks in Vientiane then look no further! Check yourself into Dream Home Hostel! It’s not just the chill vibe which will get the party started, but this backpackers hostel has nightly happy hour specials that include free whiskey!
After you get all liquored up, get ready to dance to the music or take part in one of the many games around the hostel! From billiards to beer pong, the fun will never stop!
After a night of partying, shake off that hangover with a free breakfast. You will be back on your feet and ready for more in no time at this backpackers party hostel!
Best Hostel for Solo Travelers in Vientiane – Sailomyen Cafe & Hostel
- Free Breakfast
Needing a bit of social interaction and chill vibes after a couple of days of excruciating traveling? Sailomyen Cafe & Hostel is where you want to book yourself into if you are looking for a youth hostel where you can kick back, relax, and meet other backpackers!
It’s not just the laidback atmosphere which makes Sailomyen Cafe & Hostel one of the best places in Vientiane for solo travelers, you will have tones of places to spread out in! From the terrace to the coffee shop, there is lots of room to hang out and share crazy adventure stories meet other travelers backpacking through Southeast Asia.
Top it all off with a free breakfast and you have a hostel you will not want to check out of any time soon!!
Best Cheap Hostel in Vientiane – Ali Hotel
- Coffee Shop
Needing a hostel which will help you save every Laotian Kip you got? Ali Hotel is actually a backpackers hostel which offers tourists traveling on a shoestring some of the cheapest beds in all of Vientiane!
Just because you are staying in a cheap hostel doesn’t mean you won’t get that amazing backpacker’s experience we are all hankering for! At Ali Hotel you will find both a restaurant and a cafe serving delicious meals and that piping hot cup of joe we are all craving for!
Cheap dorm beds, free breakfast, and great coffee? What else could you ask for!
Best Hostel for Couples in Vientiane – Vongkham Eco Resort
- Free Mountain Bikes
When you were planning your backpacking trip to Laos, you did not have massive concrete cities in mind. You were planning a romantic getaway with lush jungles, wild animals, and breathtaking sunsets. Let’s take you and your boo a little bit outside of the city of Vientiane and have you cozy up into Vongkham Eco Resort!
Surrounded by fields growing everything from dragon fruit to lychee, this is the idyllic side of Laos you have been searching for! The resort will also hook you up with a mountain bike to explore the extensive trails surrounding the hostel, free of charge!
End each day with an organic meal and a sunset which will truly set the tone for another romantic evening at Vongkham Eco Resort!
Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Vientiane – PVO Hostel
- Strong Wifi Connection
- Free Breakfast
While hopping around Southeast Asia as a digital nomad you will need a place to literally recharge your batteries for a few days and catch up on some blog posts. PVO Hostel in Vientiane guarantees you full bars so you never have to worry about losing all your work or getting frustrated by the lack of a wifi connection.
Once you got everything uploaded, close that laptop and get ready to explore! With bike and motorcycle rentals, you will have all of Laos within the palm of your hand! Top it all off with a tour and ticket booking services and you will have a perfect stay both in Vientiane and on your where elsewhere in Laos!
Best Hostel with a Private Room in Vientiane – Lucky Backpackers Hostel
- Free Breakfast
- Motorbike Rentals
As much as we all love living in backpackers hostels, we all need some time for ourselves and not have to worry about having some snorers or rowdy bunk-mates. Lucky Backpackers Hostel gives you the option of hanging out in the dorm room or cozying up into some of the cheapest private rooms in all of Vientiane!
It’s not just Lucky Backpacker’s cheap single rooms which will have you pressing that “book” button, this youth hostel also has a scrumptious breakfast, motorbike rentals, and lounges perfect for meeting other backpackers once you had some me time in your room! When you are ready to go out, there are lots of things to do nearby as well.
Psst! Heading to a hostel? Don’t forget to pack a padlock! It’s well worth having one so you can secure your locker and protect your stuff!
More Best Hostels in Vientiane
- Coffee Shop
My Box Hostel & Cafe is one of those backpackers hostels that literally checks everything on the list! With its very own bar, coffee shop, and lounges you will always find a place to hang out and drink, day or night! Some of the best nightlife in Vientiane isn’t too far away either.
The dorm beds also stand apart giving guests their very own privacy curtain, practically giving you a pod-style experience at a bunk bed price!
Before you head out every morning to explore the many temples nearby, be sure to first chow down and enjoy an American style breakfast! With great food, drinks, and an amazing night’s sleep, My Box Hostel is sure to be your new home away from home!
Single-use plastic bottles are a huge threat to Marine Life – Be a part of the solution and travel with a filter water bottle.
The GRAYL GEOPRESS water bottle is the ONLY all-in-one filter water bottle setup you’ll need. Whether you need to purify the water from a hostel sink in Kathmandu or a stream trickle in the Andes, the Geopress has got you covered.
Read our full review of the GRAYL GEOPRESS!
- Welcome Drink
- Free Bikes
Day or night all of the fun starts at Lao Huk Bed & Cafe! With free bikes, tour service, and ticket booking, you will have everything you need to both explore all of Vientiane and beyond!
When the night falls that’s when the party really starts at this backpackers hostel! The welcome drink will help set the tone for your stay, but the bar is where things really get wild! Get ready to hang out and dance the night away at this backpackers hostel!
With a shared kitchen, lounges, a terrace, free bikes, and laid back vibes, the good times don’t stop rollin’ at Lao Huk Bed & Cafe!
- Free Breakfast
You are going to feel right at home at this backpackers hostel with its youthful atmosphere and chill vibes. With lounges and and plenty of backpacker-fave travel games throughout the hostel, BedBox is the place to go for travelers looking to just hang out and meet other backpackers!
With a location just a few minutes away from the Mekong River and some of the most beautiful temples in all of Vientiane, you will feel like the city is your oyster. Top it all off with a free breakfast, daily table tennis matches, and a staff that will make you feel like part of the family, BedBox is the kind of hostel you will be extending your stay night after night!
What to Pack for your Vientiane Hostel
We don’t often travel without these essentials.
1. Active Roots Water Bottle: Sturdy and durable, the Active Roots water bottle survives the roughest adventures while keeping your drink cold or hot for at least 24 hours. Vacuum-sealed and made from stainless steel, the bottle can fit 25oz, which is plenty to keep you hydrated. Super cool bonus: the bottle isn’t just super useful, it helps to reduce the single-use plastic waste – save the planet by filling up your bottle.
2. Power Bank: Probably one of the most important travel accessories – a decent power bank. Charging your phone up to 5 times in a row, the Anker Power Bank is a true lifesaver on long adventures or bus rides. Slick looking, handy and not too big, it easily fits in even the smallest travel bag or your pocket. Charge 2 devices at the same time with the double USB port.
3. Headphone Splitter: Don’t be those awkward people sharing one earbud on the bus, as you show off your in-depth music knowledge to your new friend. A headphone splitter is a great item to bring traveling, it works fantastic on those long bus rides or easy dorm Netflix nights when you want to relax and connect with someone.
4. Padlock: Theft happens in hostels, so keep a padlock to clip on your locker. This padlock can also double to keep your pack shut while in-transit. No need for keys (which can easily be lost or stolen too), you just have to remember a three-digit number to unlock your travel essentials.
5. Sea to Summit Travel Soap: Soap can be very useful on long travels, but it’s hard to carry around. It might get taken off you at the airport or leak in your backpack. This Sea to Summit Travel Soap is the perfect solution for every backpacker with a thought for hygiene. The dry soap is super handy, and it definitely won’t leak (there’s nothing to leak). One box contains 50 leaves of soap, making sure that you’ll be clean, even on longer adventures.
6. Active Roots Microfiber Towel: Quick-drying, lightweight, super soft and compact – the Active Roots Microfiber Towel is essential for every backpacker. No need to use the scabby towels your hostel may or may not provide! Use it for drying off, as a yoga towel or even as a picnic blanket – the options don’t stop here. Made of antibacterial material, you don’t have to worry about your towel starting to smell unpleasant either after lots of use.
Still unsure what to take? Then check out our epic list of hostel essentials for more packing ideas!
Your adventure to Laos starts here! A journey full of temples, towering mountains, leaping monkeys, and lush jungles await you! No matter if you are heading out or just coming back, everything starts and begins in Vientiane!
Vientiane is not just a jumping-off point, you will find loads of temples and museums which will continue to wow you for days to come!
If you are still scratching your head about where to stay in Vientiane, no need to pull out your hair just yet. If you are looking for a memorable backpackers experience in Lao’s capital Barn 1920s Hostel, is our pick for the best hostel in Vientiane
Snap-on your motorbike helmet and get ready to explore! Your Vientiane adventure is just around the corner!
And don’t forget Travel Insurance! We’ve put together a roundup of Travel Insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads, our favorite travel insurance provider.
Getting an estimate from World Nomads is simple – just click the button or image below, fill out the necessary info, and you’re on your way!
Do you own or run a kick ass hostel? Want to be featured in this list? Get in touch at [email protected]
“Find out how YOU can support the site. We work hard to put out the best backpacker resources on the web, for free! It’s all about helping out our tribe of awesome backpacker readers [that’s you!]. Please visit the link to find out how you can help keep the site going 🙂
For the sake of transparency, some of the links in our content are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation, buy a book or sort your insurance, we earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. I only link to stuff I’ve actually used and never endorse products or services that are not up to scratch. Thanks for your support.