People have been flocking to York for centuries. The Romans, Vikings, and the Britons have all claimed it as their home. On a visit you can see what they all left behind, so there’s a ton to do in and around the city (like the Jorvik Viking Center and Minster Cathedral).
Even just walking through the gates of the city wall and on the cobblestoned streets, you’ll get a feel for how awesome it all is. After a night out at the restaurants, bars, and clubs, you’ll know why all these legends have called this place home!
York is a major tourist city, so hostels in the area are really accommodating and won’t make you go broke. Most have a bar and restaurant on-site, but the ones in the city center are totally walkable. Plus, free Wi-Fi and luggage storage is the norm, so not much to worry about there.
Quick Answer: The Best Hostels in York
- Overall Best Hostel in York – The Fort Boutique Hostel
- Best Party Hostel in York – Astor York
- Best Hostel for Couples in York – The Vanguard
- Best Hostel for Solo Travelers in York – Safestay York
- Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in York – YHA York
- Best Cheap Hostel in York – OYO Diamonds Inns
The Best Hostels in York
Best Overall Hostel in York – The Fort Boutique Hostel
- Free Wi-fi
- Free towels, linens, & duvets
- Min 2-night stay for Saturday bookings
The Fort Boutique Hostel has the trifecta – good price, great location, and awesome atmosphere. If you want to stay inside the city walls, steps from the bars and restaurants in the center of town, then this is your place.
The restaurant/bar downstairs offers discounts to hostel guests, and you’ll have free hot drinks available throughout your stay. The rooms are all uniquely decorated, which adds a nice touch.
Best Party Hostel in York – Astor York
- Free Wi-fi
- Outdoor terrace
- Free linens
The Astor York understand that a hostel is more than just where we sleep for the night. With a private bar and weekly events like ‘Free Dinner Friday’ – you’re bound to have a great time.
The Astor also helps us with the things that aren’t so fun, like renting adaptors and padlocks when you forgot yours, printing boarding passes, and late checkout when you just don’t feel like rolling out of bed at the crack of dawn.
Top Hostel for Couples in York – The Vanguard
- Free Wi-fi
- Mini-fridge in room
If you and your significant other are planning a getaway to York, you should definitely check out The Vanguard. Although not a traditional hostel, these guestrooms offer a luxury stay at prices compatible with private rooms at other places.
Located just outside the city wall, it’s about a ten-min walk to the bustling center. This way, it’s a quiet and cozy base for your weekend away, but still close to everything York has to offer.
Best Hostel with a Private Room in York – Churchview B&B
If you want privacy without splashing out on a York AirBnB, Churchview B&B is the place to go. It offers a number of private room options, so you can choose what’s right for you depending on your needs.
Cottages have a number of rooms and kitchen setups, while individual rooms range from just one to multiple beds. You can even reserve a room of six for you and your mates – so you won’t have to worry about being split up.
Best Hostel for Solo Travelers in York – Safestay York
- Free Wi-fi
Safestay York is a place for the solo traveler. It’s close to the city center and only a seven-minute walk to the train, making it all super accessible for someone on their own.
Safestay’s goal is to make all guests feel safe (hence the name). So if you’re not feeling comfortable about hostel life they will act to fix it for you – even if that means asking another guest to leave.
Hostel for Digital Nomads in York – YHA York
- Free Wi-fi
- Free parking
- Bike storage
- Outdoor terrace & lawn
The tech-savvy can rest easy at YHA York, making it our top pick for digital nomads. YHA has free Wifi and high-tech equipment throughout the hostel, including full AV equipment in their conference rooms.
YHA York is also an eco-friendly hostel which uses rainwater for plumbing and solar heat for hot water. The hostel is right on the River Ouse, so you can easily experience the nature you’re helping to protect.
Best Cheap Hostel in York – OYO Diamonds Inn
- Free Wi-fi
- Private rooms only
You can’t beat the prices offered at Diamonds if you’re traveling on a budget or after a private room and bathroom. It’s technically located outside the city center, but the city wall is an easy walk away.
Free refreshments are available to all guests, as well as free-wifi and room service (at a surcharge). Don’t worry if you can’t get a room here though – Diamonds have four guesthouses in York to choose from.
Psst! Heading to a hostel? Don’t forget to pack a padlock! It’s well worth having one so you can secure your locker and protect your stuff!
More of the Best Hostels in York
- Free Wi-fi
- Free towels & linens
- Bike rental
- Outdoor garden
Stableside at York Racecourse is located literally on the stable side of the York Racecourse, so you’ll be right next to the animals! Stableside is also pet-friendly, so you can bring your own little furry friend along.
The center of York is a 20-minute walk away, and the bus runs about every 10 mins. Stableside offers different rates depending on whether or not you want meals included, which is super handy.
Single-use plastic bottles are a huge threat to Marine Life – Be a part of the solution and travel with a filter water bottle.
The GRAYL GEOPRESS water bottle is the ONLY all-in-one filter water bottle setup you’ll need. Whether you need to purify the water from a hostel sink in Kathmandu or a stream trickle in the Andes, the Geopress has got you covered.
Read our full review of the GRAYL GEOPRESS!
- Free Wi-Fi
- Gym – open 24/7
Student Castle Short Stay – York is the super modern oasis in the center of medieval York. Accommodation is super sleek, and high-tech stuff is present from the common spaces to the individual rooms.
The gym is what makes Student Castle unique – it’s open 24/7 and has everything you need to get a good workout in on your travels. You’ll be totally in shape and ready to climb the Minster Tower!
- Private rooms only
- Free Wi-fi
- Free breakfast
You can tell by the name that Elmbank Hotel is not a traditional hostel. However, it does have everything you could want from a hotel at a super affordable rate.
It’s only half a mile from the city wall of York (which is totally walkable) and next door to the York Racecourse. It’s pretty cushy, and although there’s no common kitchen, they do have a restaurant/bar and serve free breakfast.
What to Pack for your York Hostel
Pants, socks, underwear… Here are some other items you might not have thought to pack.
1. TRTL Travel Pillow: Long flights and bus rides are quite uncomfortable (most obvious statement of the day). Most travel pillows… Well, you know how they are. TRTL travel pillow is different. I mean, look at it! It’ll cuddle you to sleep every ride and it does a pretty damn good job of supporting your neck so you don’t get that stiffness or legendary popping when you stir.
2. Active Roots Water Bottle: Hostels are increasingly meeting backpackers’ demands for potable (drinkable) water. Now is better than ever to start traveling with a reusable water bottle! Aside from cutting down single-use plastic, The Active Roots stainless steel water bottle will also keep your favorite beverage hot or cold all day long and it’s sized perfectly to fit an entire bottle of wine. ‘Nuff said.
3. Universal Travel Adapter: Not every country has the same electrical plug style, so carry along a universal travel adapter. You’ll want one that covers varying voltage levels, has protection from power surges, a fried laptop is not fun, and enough ports so you don’t have to spend all day individually charging your devices.
4. Active Roots Toiletry Bag: The Active Roots Toiletry bag keeps all of your bathroom essential items organized instead of flowing around your backpack. Having everything handy and accessible in one water-resistant bag is a bathroom lifesaver. This toiletry bag also helps from being that embarrassed person walking back to the dorm room, in a towel, to grab forgotten shampoo.
5. Headphone Splitter: Being stuck on a bus or plane with only one phone that has good music or shows downloaded can be pretty annoying if your travel buddy wants to share headphones. With this Headphone Splitter, you won’t have to listen with only one ear anymore. Your friend can plug in their headphones at the same time, so both of you are entertained (on both ears!).
6. Noise-Cancelling Earbuds: You’ll have some pretty sorry roommates – it happens from time to time. These noise-canceling earbuds help mitigate the damage. The comfortable and ergonomic design won’t hurt your ears while sleeping no matter how long you keep them in. Increase the quality of your sleep by listening to some relaxing music at night or just enjoy the silence.
With our list of the best hostels, we hope we’ve made it simple for you to find the right place to stay in York. We’ve taken out the guesswork, so you can focus on having an epic time in the city that’s been loved for centuries.
Whether it’s a cute little cottage for a couple on holiday or the party place to make new friends, York has you covered! We think The Fort checks all the boxes for an awesome stay, making it our top pick for the best hostel in York. But you be the judge – pick the one that’s right for you to get the most out of your UK travel experience.
And don’t forget Travel Insurance! We’ve put together a roundup of Travel Insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads, our favorite travel insurance provider.
Getting an estimate from World Nomads is simple—just click the button or image below, fill out the necessary info, and you’re on your way!
Do you own or run a kick ass hostel? Want to be featured in this list? Get in touch at [email protected]
“Find out how YOU can support the site. We work hard to put out the best backpacker resources on the web, for free! It’s all about helping out our tribe of awesome backpacker readers [that’s you!]. Please visit the link to find out how you can help keep the site going 🙂
For the sake of transparency, some of the links in our content are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation, buy a book or sort your insurance, we earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. I only link to stuff I’ve actually used and never endorse products or services that are not up to scratch. Thanks for your support.