Exotic, cultural and fascinating; Bandung is the capital of the West Java Province of Indonesia. As the fourth most populated city in the country, and with a rich history as a Dutch colony, there’s so much to learn about this amazing city.
Surrounded by volcanic mountains, there are some breath-taking discoveries to make here.
With so much on offer, it can be quite overwhelming when trying to decide where to stay in Bandung.
But with out easy, step-by-step guide, you’ll find the best areas to stay in Bandung to meet your interests and budget!
Without further ado, here’s our guide to where to stay in Bandung, Indonesia.
Quick Tips: Where to Stay in Bandung
- Where to stay in Bandung for the first time: Bandung Wetan
- Where to stay in Bandung on a budget: Cimenyan
- Where to stay in Bandung for nightlife: Cihampelas
- Coolest place to stay in Bandung: Lembang
- Where to stay in Bandung for families: Batununggal
- For some more brain-training, why not visit the Sra Bagua Museum, where you’ll learn all about Bandung’s history!
- For you crazy kids, head on over to Upside Down World, a unique experience and the perfect place to get some quirky pics!
- Visit the fascinating Bandung Geological Museum, where you can learn all about the six meteorites that landed nearby in the 19th century!
Table of Contents
- Where to Stay in Bandung
- Bandung Neighborhood Guide
- Bandung’s Top 5 Neighborhoods to Stay In
- #1 Bandung Wetan – Best Place to Stay in Bandung for Your First Time
- #2 Cimenyan – Best Place to Stay in Bandung on a Budget
- #3 Cihampelas – Best Place to Stay in Bandung for Nightlife
- #4 Lembang – Coolest Place to Stay in Bandung
- #5 Batununggal – Best Place to Stay in Bandung For Families
Looking for a specific stay? These are our highest recommendations for places to stay in Bandung…
Best Hostel in Bandung: Ostel By Ostic
Just a five-minute drive from Bandung Train Station, this hostel is ready to meet all of your needs! Known for its comfy beds, superb breakfast and convenience, this is the perfect hostel for travellers of all group sizes!
Bright, spacious and the option of private rooms available this is the best way place to stay in Bandung is you want somewhere cheap but comfortable! The staff are friendly and there’s WiFi and even a make-up room so that you look your best while exploring!View on HostelWorld
Best AirBnb in Bandung: El Royale Suite Room City and Mountain View
Within walking distance of all of Bandung’s major city centre attractions, this apartment is the perfect for convenience. But its features don’t end there. It’s part of a luxurious complex, with access to a large outdoor swimming pool, gym, sauna and hot tub!
Stylish, contemporary and spacious, this apartment is the perfect base for your adventures in Bandung!View on Airbnb
Best Hotel in Bandung: Sheraton Bandung Hotel & Towers
Situated in the trendy Lembang region of Bandung is this luxurious 5-star stay. It’s surrounded by mountain scenery which you can enjoy from your very own private balcony! Pools, a gym and a spa, this is the perfect place to stay in Bandung to have a detox!
As if you needed any more reasons to stay here, there’s even a signature hotel restaurant serving up some of the best local cuisines you can find. With spectacular décor and a variety of different types of room available, this hotel will cater for all your needs.View on Booking.com
Quick Summary: The Best Places to Stay in Bandung
|Check Top HostelCheck Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top HostelCheck Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top HostelCheck Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
Situated in a river basin and surrounded by volcanic mountains, Bandung is a geographically fascinating place. There’s so much nature to explore and so many amazing sights to see in the countryside surrounding the city. Lembang, just north of the city, is the perfect place to get into the heart of Indonesia and enjoy these natural spectacles!
With a population of around two and a half million, the city of Bandung is bustling and full of life. With a brilliant transport system, and Bandung’s main train station right in the centre, it’s super accessible! A new high-speed rail is due to be completed in the region by 2020 as well, so it’s the perfect time to visit Bandung!
Historically, Bandung was a Dutch colony, famous for its tea plantations. Since then, because of the growth of its luxurious hotels, restaurants and shops, it is now known as ‘The Paris of Java’.
Famous for its shopping malls, night clubs and restaurants, Cihampelas is the best place to visit in Bandung for party-animals! Get ready to spend lots of money, though, there’s so much to tempt you on these vibrant streets.
Aside from mountainside adventures and city exploring, there’s plenty of fun to be had for children too. There are several amusement and theme parks dotted around the city, but especially in Batununggal – the best place to stay in Bandung for families!
Bandung has cooler year-round temperatures than most other Indonesian cities, meaning it’s a comfortable place to explore without getting too sweaty!
With so much history and beautiful surroundings, Bandung is one of the best places to visit in Indonesia!
Bandung’s Top 5 Neighborhoods to Stay In
Here’s our guide to the best areas to stay in Bandung according to your budget and interests!
Situated in the heart of the city centre, Bandung Wetan is the perfect place to absorb the culture of Bandung. Experience the glamour of the Art Deco period, as well as the fury of Bandung’s volcanic surroundings at Bandung Geological Museum!
With Bandung trains station and Bandung International Airport nearby, it’s an easily accessible area. There’s so much the centre of Bandung has to offer and as it’s so compact, you can do it all without too much hassle!
Things to See and Do in Bandung Wetan
– Visit the fascinating Bandung Geological Museum, where you can learn all about the six meteorites that landed nearby in the 19th century! The best place to visit in Bandung for some learning!
– For some more brain-training, why not visit the Sra Bagua Museum, where you’ll learn all about Bandung’s history!
– If you’re into your architecture, the best place to visit in Bandung is definitely the Merdeka Building – a world-famous Art Deco building doubling up as an interesting museum.
– Ade Irma Suryani Nasution Traffic Park is not only a beautiful green space, but also somewhere for kids to learn about traffic safety, with some awesome activities on offer!
– For you crazy kids, head on over to Upside Down World, a unique experience and the perfect place to get some quirky pics!
– Alun Alun Bandung is the perfect place to spend an afternoon, whether you want to laze around in a beautiful open field or get a look at some historical buildings!
Best Hostel in Bandung Wetan: Neomoritz Homestay
Just 300m away from a local bus terminal, this is a very accessible and convenient option when choosing where to stay in Bandung. There’s a halal breakfast available every morning, and there’s a gorgeous back garden for you to relax in with a cup of coffee or a cocktail if you’re a night owl!View on HostelWorld
Best AirBnb in Bandung Wetan: Guesthouse Omahe Bandung
Right in the heart of Bandung, you’ll find this quirky guesthouse. Sparkling clean, great location and a gorgeous little courtyard, this is the best place to stay in Bandung Wetan for some privacy.
In your own space, you can enjoy being in the centre of the action with the option of relaxing and escaping too!View on Airbnb
Best Hotel in Bandung Wetan: De Paviljoen Bandung By Him
Stylish décor, spacious rooms and even an outdoor pool, this is the best place to stay in Bandung Wetan! Just minutes away from Bandung Geological Museum and plenty of parks, there’s so much to do on your doorstep.
With the option of an airport shuttle and free internet, luxury doesn’t get in the way of convenience!View on Booking.com
To the west of the city centre is the region of Cimenyan. A large area of breath-taking beauty, where you can see the best of Indonesia’s natural landscape without breaking the bank!
With musical venues and art galleries dotted around, this is also the best place to stay in Bandung to enjoy some grass-roots Sundanese culture! For you romantics, there’s some beautiful mountains to watch the sunset from – the sunrise if you’re a lark!
With loads of Dutch-themed parks and museums, there’s also plenty of chances to get to know Bandung’s colonial history.
Things to See and Do in Cimenyan
– Immerse yourself in the traditional culture of Bandung by visiting Saung Angklung Udjo – a concert hall specialising in Sudanese bamboo music as well as traditional dances and puppet shows!
– Take a day trip to Kampoeng Tulip – a dutch-themed park with a café and lake and get to know the dutch colonial history of the region.
– Get some breathtaking views up Bukit Moko Bukit Bintang- a popular hill amongst tourists for sunsets and city lights!
– Enjoy the serenity of Indonesia’s natural landscape with natural pools and hot springs at Curug Maribaya.
– For a bit of culture, head to the Selasar Sunaryo Art Space, where you can see some amazing Indonesian contemporary art!
– If you like your war history, take a look around Gua Belanda, an early 20th century cave built as a bunker for the Dutch army!
Best AirBnb in Cimenyan: Bungalow with garden Jacuzzi overlooking Bandung
This AirBnb really does what it says on the tin. Enjoy stunning views over the city lights of Bandung from the luxury of a bubbling jacuzzi. This quirky, rare-find bungalow is isolated up a huge hill and is completely made of bamboo.
Despite this, it’s not lacking in mod-cons, with fully equipped bathrooms and kitchens! If you’re looking for somewhere authentic to stay in Bandung, this glorious find is definitely your best bet!View on Airbnb
Best Hotel in Cimenyan: Mitra Dago Antapani Bandung
Just three kilometres from the musical world of Saung Angklung Udjo is this delightful little hotel. With simple, but well-equipped rooms, some with balconies, this has everything you could need!
There’s WiFi so you can keep in touch with friends, and the airport is just 12km away!View on Booking.com
Best Hotel in Cimenyan: Samami Garden
A little closer to the centre of Bandung than other hotels in Cimenyan, is Samami Garden! Complete with an outdoor pool and terrace, you can relax and enjoy a poolside cocktail. With balcony rooms available, you can look out over the beautiful valley and breath-taking volcanic landscape surrounding you!
There’s breakfast every morning, as well as table tennis, mini-golf and even a children’s play area! With car and bike hire available, this hotel caters for all your needs when exploring. It’s the best place to stay in Cimenyan!View on Booking.com
One of Bandung’s famous traits is its shopping malls. Cihampelas is the perfect place to immerse yourself in this part of the city. Ranging from Indonesian boutiques to traditional designers, this is the perfect place to stay if you want to splash the cash.
However, by night, Cihampelas turns into party town. There are so many differently themed night clubs to choose from, whether it’s a karaoke bar, dance club or even a Bollywood-themed boogie! By day, you can head to Bandung’s huge zoo or head to one of Cihampelas’ incredible restaurants.
Things to See and Do in Cihampelas
– You simply can’t visit Cihampelas without going to Cihampelas Walk – a famous open-air mall. It features local boutiques, international designers, an amazing food court and even some amusements!
– For all those nature-lovers out there, the best place to visit in Bandung is its very own zoo, with over 1600 animals!
– As Chihampelas is famous for its shopping malls, you have to visit one of the oldest- the Bandung Indah Plaza has plenty of cheap shops and brilliant restaurants to choose from, like Gigglebox!
– In terms of nightlife in Cihampelas, there’s so much to choose from! The most famous clubs in the area are Shelter, The Bunker and Sobbers – all perfect to dance the night away!
– Fancy tickling your taste buds? Look no further than traditional Sudanese restaurant, Pavilium Sunda- cosy and casual, the best place to visit in Cihampelas for food!
Best Hostel in Cihampelas: Pinisi Backpacker
Bright decorations, friendly staff and fantastic location – what more could you want?! This hostel has everything you’d need to make your stay comfortable and easy. Free WiFi, 24-hour tea and coffee services as well as ample storage for any souvenirs you might find around the city!
With maps provided and the option of a bike tour from the hostel owners, this is the best place to stay in Bandung for explorers!View on HostelWorld
Best AirBnb in Cihampelas: Studio Oryx @ The Jarrdin Apartment
As part of an incredibly popular complex of apartments, this is the place to be in Cihampelas! Newly renovated, this is a stylish and comfortable stay with easy access to all the major shopping areas CIhampelas has to offer, this is a fantastic stay.
There’s plenty of restaurants and cafes around, too! Although you might hear the local mosque early in the morning, why not use this as an opportunity to use the pristine outdoor pool? A refreshing and exhilarating start to your day!View on Airbnb
Best Hotel in Cihampelas: Grandia Hotel
Just minutes away from the famous Cihampelas Walk is this divine hotel. With an exquisite, modern finish, you’ll want for nothing here!
There’s a large outdoor pool overlooking the bright lights of the city centre, as well as an excellent restaurant. Although a little more expensive than other hotels in the area, this is amazing value for money and is a whole lot cheaper than hotels in other areas in Bandung.
If you want luxury without breaking the bank, the Grandia Hotel is the best place to stay in Bandung!View on Booking.com
We think Lembang is the coolest place to stay in Bandung for so many reasons! Whether you’re into nature, architecture or water sports- Lembang has just the thing for you!
Waterfalls, forests, star-gazing observatories and Buddhist temples – Lembang has a rich variety of activities to get involved in. Just north of the city means you’re a little out of the centre, but with so much to do here, what’s wrong with that?
Alternatively, if you want to head into the heart of the city, the route includes some beautiful roads through valleys and past rivers!
Things to See and Do in Lembang
– Take a stroll around the Djuanda Forest Park, a large and beautiful conservation area and botanical garden.
– With beautiful views overlooking the valley in which Bandung lies, Villa Isola is a perfect example of Bandung’s famous Art Deco style!
– If you love your water sports, why not head to Teras Cikapundung, where you can get on the water and see this amazing city from the river!
– Up for a late night of stargazing? Head out to the Observatorium Bosscha, where you can book an appointment to enjoy the Indonesian night-sky.
– For some natural beauty, why not go to Curug Cimahi, an enormous waterfall? Be careful though – it can only be reached by a long set of ancient stairs!
– Established in 1992, Pusat Meditasi Vipassana Graha is a contemporary Buddhist temple. It’s perfect for a tranquil day strolling around the grounds and is the best place to visit in Bandung for some relaxation.
Best Hostel Lembang: The Attic Bed & Breakfast
In southern Lembang, you’ll find this excellent hostel! Just 30 minutes from the airport and within walking distance of some fabulous tourist attractions and eateries, you’ll really be part of the action here!
There’s a range of types of room available, like some “pods”, if you’d like to try something a little different! There’s even a balcony overlooking the city and a BBQ if you want to use this opportunity to get to know other travellers!View on HostelWorld
Best AirBnb in Lembang: Boscha Villas 102
Sip on a glass of wine as you overlook the outstanding views of the surrounding mountainous landscape on your own private balcony! You’ll have the whole of this villa to yourself, as well as a quaint garden and a luxurious hot tub!
This is the best place to stay in Lembang if you want to take in the beauty of the area in comfort and style!View on Airbnb
Best Hotel in Lembang: Gh Universal Hotel Bandung
Get your fill of both luxury and history in this beautiful hotel inside a period building! There’s an enormous outdoor pool overlooking spectacular city lights, as well as an impressive restaurant set in a ballroom!
Crystal chandeliers, top-of-the-rang gym equipment and excellent transport connections, is there anything this hotel doesn’t have?View on Booking.com
If you’re taking the kids on a getaway, look no further than Batununggal. Jam-packed with theme parks, water sports and amusement centres, you’ll never be bored here, making it the best place to stay in Bandung for families!
Only just south of the city centre, you’ll still be close to the heart of the city in this area. It’s a safe and relatively quiet suburban area of Bandung, but with still so much going on.
There are so many family-friendly activities to get your teeth into here to keep the kids entertained and you relaxed!
Things to See and Do in Batununggal
– You can’t come to Batununggal without visiting one of the largest theme parks in the world! With three different themes and a total of 20 rides, Trans Studio has so much to keep you and the kids entertained all day long!
– Panghegar Waterboom is one of the best places to visit in Bandung if you love a bit of fun! There’s waterslides and pools available for all ages – even adults!
– Feeling lucky? Head over to Bandung Champion City, an amazing amusement centre!
– As a special treat for the little ones, why not take them to Ice Cream House – a café totally dedicated to ice cream!
– For a play park with a twist, head to Taman Foto Bandung, where to can play with huge statues of your favourite superheroes!
Best AirBnb in Batununggal: Rumah Mutiara Family Home
The clue’s in the name with this one- it really is the perfect family home! With simple, spacious bedrooms and a large family kitchen, all your needs are catered for!
There’s a gorgeous little terrace out the back with comfy garden furniture so you can enjoy a family meal in the sunshine. With three bathrooms, there won’t be any family arguments and the hosts are super helpful if you have any questions about exploring the city! The best place to stay for families in Bandung!View on Airbnb
Best Hotel in Batununggal: Lingga Hotel
Simple, but adorable rooms and a friendly, sociable atmosphere is what you’ll find at the Lingga Hotel! With a decent-sized outdoor pool and a fabulous terrace to enjoy a drink with fellow travellers on!
There’s a restaurant on site, but it’s not far to other eateries around the southern part of the city!View on Booking.com
Best Hotel in Batununggal: The Trans Luxury Hotel Bandung
On site of the Trans Studio, the best theme park in Bandung, is this luxury hotel! The panoramic restaurant offers sweeping views of the city, as well as some seriously tasty food!
There’s an outdoor pool for the kids to enjoy while you relax at the day spa or enjoy the high-tech fitness centre! If you want to venture out into Bandung, the city centre is just a short drive away!View on Booking.com
Final Thoughts on Where to Stay in Bandung
Amazing historical context, breath-taking surroundings and exciting activities. It’s no wonder Bandung is so popular with tourists of all ages!
To recap: Bandung Wetan is our number one choice for the best place to stay in Bandung. It’s right at the heart of the city and is the best place to learn about its historical and cultural importance.
Don’t forget to sort your travel insurance! We’ve put together a roundup of the best travel insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads now, our favourite travel insurance provider.
Getting an estimate from World Nomads is simple – just click the button or image below, fill out the necessary info, and you’re on your way!
Do you own an awesome hostel, hotel or apartment? Want to be featured in our list? Email [email protected] to find out how.
Yay for transparency! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, The Broke Backpacker will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps me keep the site going.
Need More Inspiration?
Like this post? PIN ME!!!
Writer and Editor, Ana Pereira is a California native, inspired by Earth exploration and introspection. Recently, she spent several months exploring Africa and South Asia. She spends most of her “down-time” out in the wilderness, climbing, hiking, and beyond, and is feverishly passionate about travel and health.