Time and time again Boracay has been voted as having the most pristine, breathtaking beaches in the entire world! Many people travel across the world just to lay out on the Philippines’ soft white sand and take in the warm ocean breeze.
Boracay is so much more than just chill island living, travelers can enjoy kite surfing, scuba diving, boat tours and trekking on the island’s vast lush jungles.
From uber posh hotels to laid back hostels, Boracay is a destination where people of all walks of life can come together and enjoy a true tropical paradise.
Due to the resort closure of Boracay to preserve the island’s natural beauty, many hotels and hostels have closed down. The island has since undergone a “trial period”, gradually allowing tourists to enjoy the exotic beaches.
Due to the popularity of Boracay, even getting a hostel bed can be quite the challenge. With so many different backpackers hostels and guesthouses to choose from, booking the perfect place to stay can be a hassle.
That’s exactly why we created this one-stop worry free guide! So YOU can spend less time searching for hostels and more time kicking it on the beach!
Get your sunblock on and unroll your towel. Your start to your dream getaway in the Philippines starts here!
So peep our guide to the top hostels in Boracay below!
Quick answer: The Best Hostels in Boracay
- Best Overall Hostel in Boracay – Frendz Resort and Hostel
- Best Party Hostel in Boracay – Mad Monkey Boracay
- Best Hostel for Solo Travellers in Boracay – Chill Out Hostel
- Best Cheap Hostel in Boracay – Hostel Avenue
- Best Hostel for Couples in Boracay – Chillax Flashpacker
- Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Boracay – Lazy Dog Bed & Breakfast
- Best Hostel with a Private Room in Boracay – Dave’s Straw Hat Inn
The Best Hostels in Boracay
With the whole island comprising of only about 10km, Boracay is literally brimming with excitement, nightlife, and leisure and it’s a must-stop on any Philippines backpacking itinerary. From remote mountain peaks to tranquil beaches, travelers will always find something to do on the Philippines’ own enclave of serenity and adventure.
Being such a world-famous destination, Boracay brings together both your luxury tourists and weary backpackers. The only unfortunate thing about the island paradise is the massive number of tourists which all converge on this small dot on the map.
During the high season, most of the best hostels on the island will be booked solid for weeks, leaving no room for those planning as they go. No need to fear! You can rest easy with our master list of the best places to stay in Boracay!
While each of the youth hostels may appeal to a different kind of travelers, you are still sure to have to time of your life enjoying the turquoise waters and tranquil beaches of Boracay!
Best Overall Hostel in Boracay – Frendz Resort and Hostel
- Pool Table
- Beach Chairs
Just a 2-minute walk away from the beach, Frendz puts you right up and close to relaxation on some of Boracay’s most gorgeous beaches. The hostel takes it a step further in making you feel part of the family wither their free pasta and taco nights as well as their live music.
With hostel organized boat trips to discounts on diving gear, Frendz hooks you up with everything you need to take to the waters and enjoy all that Boracay has to offer!
Best Party Hostel in Boracay – Mad Monkey Boracay
- Live Music
Don’t book into Mad Monkey unless you are prepared to party till the wee hours of the night! This resort-style party hostel will have you extending your stay night after night to keep your the good times rolling!
With live DJs, an open bar, a party boat, and all kinds of game nights, Mad Monkey is bar far one of the best youth hostels on the island for all you party animals out there, and is found in one of the best areas in Boracay!
When you get weary and are looking to relax, the dorms have adopted a pod-style for their bunks, maximizing your comfort. Get ready for the party of your life and enjoying an authentic Philippines party experience!
Best Hostel for Solo Travellers in Boracay – Chill Out Hostel
- Kite Surfing/ Diving Lessons
Chill Out Hostel is one of the few backpackers’ hubs that truly covers all of the bases. Putting its guests smack in between Bolabog and White Beach, relaxation is only a few flips of the flops away.
Chill Out truly takes the cake with its free rum nights, outdoor barbeque, and free diving/ kitesurfing lessons. For those looking to just kick it on the beach or those party animals looking for an all-night rager, Chill Out is by far the best hostel in Boracay to get your vacation started off right!
Best Cheap Hostel in Boracay – Hostel Avenue
- Outdoor Terrace
Most people would already be sold by just seeing that Hostel Avenue is located right on top of Boracay’s world-famous beaches. Other than being the island’s only beachfront hostel on White Beach, Hostel Avenue also offers puts you close to the Boracay’s best restaurants, bars, and clubs!
With an onsite cafe, beach only a few steps away from the hostel, and unbeatable prices, Hostel Avenue is the best value you can get in all of Boracay!
Best Hostel for Couples in Boracay– Chillax Flashpacker
- Outdoor Pool
For couples looking for the privacy to snuggle up but still wanting to be surrounded by that hostel atmosphere, look no further than Chillax! This eco-friendly backpackers hostel is made up of recycled shipping containers, giving the building a fresh and hip look!
Make a splash in the hostel’s onsite pool or enjoy Chillax’s bar, gardens, games, deck, and even its cinema! For you budget travelers or romantic couples, the prices of Chillax Flashpackers are low enough to fit any budget. The private rooms even include their own balcony, so you can feel that Boracay truly is your oyster!
Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Boracay – Lazy Dog Bed & Breakfast
Lazy Dog Bed & Breakfast stands apart from the rest with its unique bamboo decor and spacious lounge areas, thus making it the perfect place for all you digital nomads out there!
Get ready to spread out and enjoy island living while still being able to get all of that much-needed editing done all from the comfort of your hostel! Other than the Lazy Dog’s superb ambiance, the hostel also offers a shared kitchen, restaurant, and even a sun deck.
Best Hostel with a Private Room in Boracay – Dave’s Straw Hat Inn
For those looking for a little more privacy and are wanting to embrace that authentic castaway experience, nothing can be better than checking into your own private bungalow. At Dave’s Straw Hat Inn, guests are treated to that perfect mix of rustic island living and 1st world comfort.
The Inn even takes it a step further by offering tourists homecooked meals from their onsite restaurant. With the beach only being a minute walk from the door of your cottage, relaxation is literally right on your doorstep!
Psst! Heading to a hostel? Don’t forget to pack a padlock! It’s well worth having one so you can secure your locker and protect your stuff!
More Best Hostels in Boracay
- Swimming Pool
For those looking to get back to basics, W Hostel is a pretty straightforward hostel without many of the bells and whistles of the other guys. This backpackers offers budget beds with a chill down to earth vibe.
Even with being relatively basic, W Hostel still offers an enticing pool and sunny rooftop terrace where you can soak up some rays. W Hostel is one of the best places to base yourself out of before exploring the rest of vibrant Boracay!
As you may have already assumed by the hostel’s name, Freestyle Academy Kitesurfing specializes in watersports by putting its guests close to the action on Bulabog Beach.
Other than it’s dedication to kitesurfing, the hostel also offers budget rooms, an inviting terrace, and even an onsite bar. Sporty or not, Freestyle Academy is the perfect place to stay to begin your Boracay adventure!
Island Jewel Inn offers some of the cheapest private rooms on the entire island. It doesn’t matter if you are off on a romantic getaway or just a solo backpacker looking for a place to unwind, this hotel is sure to leave you refreshed and ready to head back out to the beach!
With its own restaurant and only being 2 minutes from White Beach, Island Jewel Inn is truly one of the best places for travelers looking to get away from it all!
What to Pack for your Boracay Hostel
We don’t often travel without these essentials.
1. Headphone Splitter: Being stuck on a bus or plane with only one phone that has good music or shows downloaded can be pretty annoying if your travel buddy wants to share headphones. With this Headphone Splitter, you won’t have to listen with only one ear anymore. Your friend can plug in their headphones at the same time, so both of you are entertained (on both ears!).
2. Padlock: Keep your stuff safe, guys. Unfortunately not all dorm lockers share the same security standard. You’ll want a lightweight lock that can fit all the various dorm lockers you’ll clip it to. Having a padlock that is flexible and can fit a variety of locker styles is the best way to make sure none of your belongings wander away while you are out.
3. Playing Cards: These waterproof cards are essential kit for every backpacker. Play by the pool, beach or at your hostel after a long day with travel buds, without your cards breaking or getting soaked. And once you pull out those cards, the chance that you’ll be the hero of the night is pretty high (no promises though).
4. Active Roots Microfiber Towel: Quick-drying, lightweight, super soft and compact – the Active Roots Microfiber Towel is essential for every backpacker. No need to use the scabby towels your hostel may or may not provide! Use it for drying off, as a yoga towel or even as a picnic blanket – the options don’t stop here. Made of antibacterial material, you don’t have to worry about your towel starting to smell unpleasant either after lots of use.
5. Active Roots Toiletry Bag: Keep your bath-and-beauty items organized and in the right place with this water-resistant bag. With large compartments, mesh and enclosed clear sections, you can fit everything you might need inside. Hang it up or let it stand on its own – this bag is a must-have for dorm-lifers.
6. Power Bank: Everyone knows the mini heart attack when your phone is about to run out of power. Surviving long bus rides without charging stations can be agonizing, which is why every backpacker should have this Anker Power Bank. You can charge your phone up to 5 times, or plug in two devices simultaneously. With high-speed charging and enough power to keep you going for days, you can conquer even the biggest adventures without a problem.
Why you should travel to Boracay
Boracay is a breathtaking destination but daily brings in droves of tourists to its pristine, peaceful beaches. While you may still be able to get away from it all on the island, you may find it difficult to find a hostel with a free bed even months in advance.
Boracay is popular for a good reason, it will leave you with the experience of a lifetime regardless of how you like to travel!
From lively party hostels to quaint beachside bungalows, out of all of the hostels, Chillax Flashpacker caught our eye with its innovative design, laid-back atmosphere, and the sheer amount of things to do within the hostel itself!
Therefore Chillax Flashpacker takes the prize for being our favorite hostel on Boracay!
Hit the waves, lay out on the beach, or treck through the jungle, your Boracay adventure is just a few clicks away!
Travel Safety Tips for Boracay
And don’t forget Travel Insurance! We’ve put together a roundup of Travel Insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads, our favorite travel insurance provider.
Getting an estimate from World Nomads is simple – just click the button or image below, fill out the necessary info, and you’re on your way!
More Epic Hostels in Philippines and Asia
Hopefully by now you’ve found the perfect hostel for your upcoming trip to Boracay.
Planning an epic trip all across Philippines or even Asia itself?
Don’t worry – we’ve got you covered!
For more cool hostel guides around Asia, check out:
Over to you
By now I hope our epic guide to the best hostels in Boracay has helped you choose the perfect hostel for your adventure! Once you’ve booked your stay, plan your trip using our Boracay itinerary.
If you think we’ve missed anything or have any further thoughts, hit us up in the comments!
“Find out how YOU can support the site. We work hard to put out the best backpacker resources on the web, for free! It’s all about helping out our tribe of awesome backpacker readers [that’s you!]. Please visit the link to find out how you can help keep the site going 🙂
For the sake of transparency, some of the links in our content are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation, buy a book or sort your insurance, we earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. I only link to stuff I’ve actually used and never endorse products or services that are not up to scratch. Thanks for your support.