For many people travelling from Europe, Tangier is considered the gateway to Africa. This unique city is a mixture of cultures from both Europe and Africa, giving a tantalising introduction to this wild continent! It dates back to the 5th century BC, so it’s an awesome stop off for history buffs! There are some world-class museums here and stunning mosques!
But how do you know where to stay in Tangier? Well, although there are some great hotels here, you might want to save your money for other stuff. If that’s the case, why not think about staying in a hostel instead? After all, there’s a lot of choice when it comes to budget accommodation in Tangier!
With that in mind, we’ve decided to help you out. In this post, we’ll take a look at the best hostels in Tangier. We’ve taken into consideration not only travel style and personality, but more importantly budget. So, let’s jump in and check them out!
Quick Answer – Best Hostels in Tangier
- Overall Best Hostel in Tangier – Baytalice
- Best Hostels for Solo Travellers in Tangier – Tangier Kasbah Hostel
- Best Cheap Hostel in Tangier – The Medina Hostel Tangier
- Best Hostel for Couples in Tangier – Tangiers Hostel
- Best Party Hostel in Tangier – The Melting Pot Rooftop Hostel
- Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Tangier – The Riad Hostel Tangier
- Best Hostel with a Private Room in Tangier – Dar Bargach
Overall Best Hostel in Tangier – Baytalice
- Free Breakfast
- Terrace with views of Spain
- Free tea or coffee
Let’s kick off our list of the best hostels in Tangier with the awesome Baytalice. No matter what you’re looking for, it’ll suit your travel style! Begin our day with a free breakfast. Whether you want to have that in one of the awesome common areas or overlooking the Strait of Gibraltar is up to you! You can also see right to the medina and the kasbah, both a short walk away. So, you won’t get a much better location than this! After a busy day of exploring or surfing, come back and enjoy free tea or coffee!
Best Hostels for Solo Travellers in Tangier – Tangier Kasbah Hostel
- Free breakfast
- Kitchen/BBQ spot
- Book exchange
When travelling alone, a hostel full of quiet and reserved people just won’t do. Thankfully, this awesome hostel is a lively place perfect for backpackers! A traditional hostel right in the heart of the medina, you’ll be able to meet fellow travellers on the rooftop terrace over a BBQ! If you’re simply happy to just be around other people’s company, just pick something up from the book exchange and enjoy that! Want to keep your costs down? Don’t bother eating out, just prepare something tasty in the fully equipped kitchen!
Best Cheap Hostel in Tangier – The Medina Hostel Tangier
- Free breakfast
- Great location
- Multilingual staff
Travelling to Morocco on a budget? Well, it’s a good job that it’s a pretty cheap country as it is! And here’s a hostel to match! The Medina Hostel Tangier is one of the best prices you’ll get in town, but you won’t have to compromise on quality. Each morning, you’ll get breakfast which will set you up perfectly for a busy day of sightseeing! One of the best ways to do that is by a daily walking tour! If you feel like you haven’t burned off enough calories during the day, enjoy a game on the Wii in the evening!
Best Hostel for Couples in Tangier – Tangiers Hostel
- Small and intimate
- Free breakfast
- Terrace overlooking the Kasbah
Travelling to Tangier with your other half? If that’s the case, a smelly and noisy dorm just won’t do. It doesn’t exactly scream romance! However, the Tangiers Hostel, which offers gorgeous private rooms while still maintaining a fun and friendly hostel atmosphere, is everything you and the one you love could ever dream of! Enjoy a romantic breakfast on the roof terrace (for free) or get competitive over a board game in the common room. Just stay away from Monopoly. You’ll probably break up!
Best Party Hostel in Tangier – The Melting Pot Rooftop Hostel
- Awesome rooftop hangout
- Nightly outings
- Typical Moroccan house
This typical Moroccan house is right in the centre of Tangier, and it’s great if you’re looking to let your hair down and dance the night away. There’s something going on every night – a special mention to the live music played by the artists and musicians who volunteer here! Enjoy a drink to accompany that music from the bar, or take part in a tour that shows you the best underground bars in the city! If you don’t have too much of a hangover the next day, make the most of daily tours and explore the best of Tangier!
Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Tangier – The Riad Hostel Tangier
- Patio with sea view
- Seating areas
- Breakfast included
Are you taking your laptop to Tangier? You’ll want to be somewhere that you can blend the fun of travelling with a great place to concentrate and work hard. You’ll also need somewhere you can feel that your laptop is safe while you’re out and about! This place ticks all of those boxes. Work on your latest article or fire off some emails on the patio which has a view of the sea. The free breakfast at this top Moroccan backpackers hostel will fuel you up for a day of work or play!
Best Hostel with a Private Room in Tangier – Dar Bargach
- Breakfast included
- Friday couscous dinner
- Main lounge
With a range of double rooms, Dar Bargach is the best hostel with a private room in Tangier. It’s suitable for couples or solo travellers who want a break from that busy and hectic dorm lifestyle! Of course, you still have the warm and friendly atmosphere that makes hostels such an appealing place to stay. Not only do you get breakfast included each day of your stay, but you’ll also be welcomed to join the Friday couscous dinner. A chance to sample genuine Moroccan cuisine!
Psst! Heading to a hostel? Don’t forget to pack a padlock! It’s well worth having one so you can secure your locker and protect your stuff!
Other Great Hostels in Tangier
- Shared kitchen
- Breakfast included
- Public parking
Not quite fitting snugly into the categories above, that shouldn’t put you off the awesome Darsyra – one of the most modern hostels in Tangier! From the 5th floor, you can enjoy views from the roof terrace of the city and the sea! You have the choice of a small dorm or a private room – either way, it’s fewer people to keep you awake at night with their snoring! A great option for solo travellers and couples, Darsyra is a small and quaint Moroccan hostel where you’re sure to get some rest and recuperation!
Single-use plastic bottles are a huge threat to Marine Life – Be a part of the solution and travel with a filter water bottle.
The GRAYL GEOPRESS water bottle is the ONLY all-in-one filter water bottle setup you’ll need. Whether you need to purify the water from a hostel sink in Kathmandu or a stream trickle in the Andes, the Geopress has got you covered.
Read our full review of the GRAYL GEOPRESS!
- Rooftop Terrace
- Near museums
- Room service
This awesome hostel shows that you should also take Booking.com into account when looking for somewhere to stay in Tangier. Near to all the museums, you can plan out your Tangier itinerary for the day from the roof terrace. That’s if you’re not too busy admiring the view! Feeling really lazy? Just order something from the roof terrace. Usually something you’d associate with a fancy hotel, right?! Worried about how to get to or from the airport? This awesome hostel boasts an airport shuttle!
- Private bathroom
- Garden and Terrace
- Shared Lounge
Last but not least on our list of the best hostels in Tangier, let’s take a look at Casa Bonita. There aren’t any dorms here, but instead, a range of privates. Either one, two, or three beds. So, whether you’re travelling solo, as part of a couple, or with a small group of friends or family, this place will be right up your street! Each room comes with a private bathroom, but you can also make use of a shared lounge, garden, and terrace if you want to meet new people!
What to Pack for your Tangier Hostel
We don’t often travel without these essentials.
1. Power Bank: Showing up to a new city, after a 14-hour bus ride, with a dead phone and no directions to your hostel is a half-awake, messy nightmare. Putting a good power bank in your pack is the best and easiest way to keep your important electronics charged up for those long travel and sightseeing days.
2. Active Roots Microfiber Towel: Quick-drying, lightweight, super soft and compact – the Active Roots Microfiber Towel is essential for every backpacker. No need to use the scabby towels your hostel may or may not provide! Use it for drying off, as a yoga towel or even as a picnic blanket – the options don’t stop here. Made of antibacterial material, you don’t have to worry about your towel starting to smell unpleasant either after lots of use.
3. Universal Travel Adapter: Not every country has the same electrical plug style, so carry along a universal travel adapter. You’ll want one that covers varying voltage levels, has protection from power surges, a fried laptop is not fun, and enough ports so you don’t have to spend all day individually charging your devices.
4. TRTL Travel Pillow: Get rid of the red eyes and yawning with this TRTL travel pillow. It’s not just a normal neck pillow (I mean, look at it!), the ergonomic design gives your neck and head so much comfortable support that you’ll actually be able to have some decent rest. Super easy to carry and clean, it takes up so little space compared to a traditional travel pillow.
5. Active Roots Water Bottle: Sturdy and durable, the Active Roots water bottle survives the roughest adventures while keeping your drink cold or hot for at least 24 hours. Vacuum-sealed and made from stainless steel, the bottle can fit 25oz, which is plenty to keep you hydrated. Super cool bonus: the bottle isn’t just super useful, it helps to reduce the single-use plastic waste – save the planet by filling up your bottle.
6. Noise-Cancelling Earbuds: These simple earbuds will help you out. Keeping out most of the surrounding sounds, you can either choose to listen to some relaxing music or no sound at all while falling asleep. This can be a life-saver in some unexpected party hostels. Make sure you’re well-rested for the next adventures!
Final Thoughts on the Best Hostels in Tangier
So, that’s all from our list of the best hostels in Tangier! We’re sure that you’ll agree that there’s plenty to choose from! No matter if you’re travelling solo, with your other half, or with your laptop, you’ll find the perfect place to stay in Tangier. And if you’re travelling across Morocco, we also have your back with this Best Hostels in Morocco guide.
And if you feel like you still aren’t sure which is the best place to stay for you, don’t worry. Just sit back, relax, and take a deep breath. Then, scroll to the top of our page and pick our favourite hostel in Tangier: Baytalice. It’s an awesome combination of location, good value for money, and a friendly atmosphere!
Now that we’ve hopefully made planning your vacation just that little bit easier, it’s time for us to leave you in peace. We hope you have an amazing trip to Tangier!
And don’t forget Travel Insurance! We’ve put together a roundup of Travel Insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads, our favorite travel insurance provider.
Getting an estimate from World Nomads is simple – just click the button or image below, fill out the necessary info, and you’re on your way!
Do you own or run a kick ass hostel? Want to be featured in this list? Get in touch at [email protected]
“Find out how YOU can support the site. We work hard to put out the best backpacker resources on the web, for free! It’s all about helping out our tribe of awesome backpacker readers [that’s you!]. Please visit the link to find out how you can help keep the site going 🙂
For the sake of transparency, some of the links in our content are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation, buy a book or sort your insurance, we earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. I only link to stuff I’ve actually used and never endorse products or services that are not up to scratch. Thanks for your support.