All eyes of the Hindu world are set on one city: Varanasi. This holy city built along the banks of the Ganges River has a history stretching back to the beginning of time. Just by wandering the chaotic narrow streets or sitting on the ghats overlooking the river, you can feel the rich culture and spirituality of this place. Even if you are not a follower of Hinduism, you can fully immerse yourself in the roots of the world’s most vibrant religion in Varanasi!
For adventure seekers, it won’t take much to inspire you to want to see all of the daily worships and ceremonies of Varanasi yourself. And being on the famous “hippie trail” you will find loads of budget hostels lining the Ganges River. But how can you be sure that these cheap backpacker’s hostels will also provide you with a quality stay?
We made this list just so you can rest at ease when choosing a hostel in India’s holiest city! Bringing together all the best hostels in Varanasi, you will be staying in only the top places the city has to offer!
Get your cameras ready and prepare to meditate in one of the world’s most spiritual destinations!
Table of Contents
Quick Answer: The Best Hostels in Varanasi
- Overall Best Hostel in Varanasi – Moustache Hostel Varanasi
- Best Hostel for Solo Travelers in Varanasi – HosteLaVie
- Best Cheap Hostel in Varanasi – Zostel Varanasi
- Best Hostel for Couples in Varanasi – Monu Family Guest House
- Best Party Hostel in Varanasi – goStops Varanasi
- Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Varanasi – Wander Station Varanasi
The Best Hostels in Varanasi
Varanasi is a definitive stop many India backpacking routes. But first, you will have to find yourself that perfect hostel. With each stay a little different from the next, keep your eyes open for the one that strikes your fancy!
Best Overall Hostel in Varanasi – Moustache Hostel Varanasi
– Rooftop Terrace
To kick off our list of all the best hostels in Varanasi, let’s start by introducing the top of the line: Moustache Hostel! This youth hostel will have you staying just a few steps away from the famous Assi Ghat, but if you are feeling a bit lazy you don’t have to actually step outside your door to enjoy all the beauty of Varanasi. From the rooftop lounge, you can simply pull up a cushion and bask in the undefinable wonder of the city! Feeling a bit hungry? Moustache Hostel is also home to its very own cafe, hooking you up with a delicious meal whenever the mood should strike you!
Best Hostel for Solo Travelers in Varanasi – HosteLaVie
– Shared Kitchen
Get ready to up your small talk game because Hostel La Vie is all about kicking back and chatting with the other backpackers! This youth hostel doesn’t just have one lounge to relax in, you will find several couches and games spread out throughout the hostel making Hostel La Vie one of the bestsocial hostels in India! Other than the chill vibes of the hostel, you will also find a shared kitchen and a cafe, giving you the choice of cooking your own meal or ordering one in! Top it all off with daily tours and events that will have you exploring all the best sites in Varanasi, there is no better place to kick off your adventure along the Ganges!
Best Cheap Hostel in Varanasi – Zostel Varanasi
– Breakfast Not Included
Pull up a bean bag chair and get ready to stay in one of the cheapest hostels in Varanasi! Zostel Varanasi will not only have you saving rupees left and right, but they will also have you calling one of the most popular and laid back spots in the whole city home! With massive lounges sprinkled with games, instruments, and cushions, you just need to simply recline and enjoy all the comfort of feeling like you have found your long lost home away from home! Other than the social element, Zostel Varanasi will also keep your belly full of the delicious food served at their onsite cafe! Putting you right smack in between the river and the heart of the city, this is a hostel that will check all of the boxes!
Best Hostel for Couples in Varanasi – Monu Family Guest House
– Cooking Lessons
No matter if you are a solo traveler looking for some much needed alone time or a couple wanting to find a place to cozy up for a few nights, Monu Family Guest House will hook you up with some brightly colored private rooms for just a few rupees more than a dorm bed in a hostel. Putting you just a short walk away from the very same ghat where the nightly Aarati ceremony is held, you couldn’t ask for a better location. Not wanting to wander the streets to find a place to eat? Monu Family Guest House is also home to its very own restaurant serving you breakfast, lunch, and dinner!
Best Party Hostel in Varanasi – goStops Varanasi
– Weekly Events
As you may have already guessed, Varanasi is not the proper place to get trashed in India. As one of the country’s holiest cities, alcohol is pretty hard to find. But just because you can’t find a beer doesn’t mean you can’t also find ways to have a great night out in Varanasi! goStops Varanasi will have you staying in one of the trendiest hostels in the entire city. It is not just the laid back vibes and artsy atmosphere that will blow you away, but this hostel will also point you in the right direction for all the best local music and art shows held in the city! With its cozy lounges and boutique decor, there are not many places on this list that can top goStops Varanasi in terms of style and atmosphere!
Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Varanasi – Wander Station Varanasi
– Breakfast Included
Open up your laptop and get down to work writing that new article or editing a video in one of the most laid back hostels in all of Varanasi! Wander Station maybe a couple of rupees more than some of the other hostels along the Ganges, but you will be enjoying tons of space to spread out into work as well as some of the best views of the city and river from the rooftop terrace! With its colorful art and tastefully decorated lounges, you will feel right at home at Wander Station! Feeling a bit hungry? Wander Station also has its very own cafe, the perfect place to fill up before heading out to explore or getting down to work!
More of the Best Hostels in Varanasi
– Breakfast Included
Wake up every morning by stepping out on to the rooftop terrace taking in views of the breathtaking Ganges River while chowing down on a delicious breakfast. Last but certainly not least on our list of best hostels in Varanasi is La Vaca India! With some of the cheapest dorm beds and private rooms in all of Varanasi, this hostel is perfect for all kinds of travelers! With its colorful and artsy atmosphere, La Vaca has everything you could ever want from a hostel! Putting you just a few steps away from the river, this backpackers hostel is one of the top places to base yourself out of in Varanasi!
What to Pack for your Varanasi Hostel
We don’t often travel without these essentials.
1. Power Bank: Showing up to a new city, after a 14-hour bus ride, with a dead phone and no directions to your hostel is a half-awake, messy nightmare. Putting a good power bank in your pack is the best and easiest way to keep your important electronics charged up for those long travel and sightseeing days.
2. Active Roots Microfiber Towel: Quick-drying, lightweight, super soft and compact – the Active Roots Microfiber Towel is essential for every backpacker. No need to use the scabby towels your hostel may or may not provide! Use it for drying off, as a yoga towel or even as a picnic blanket – the options don’t stop here. Made of antibacterial material, you don’t have to worry about your towel starting to smell unpleasant either after lots of use.
3. Universal Travel Adapter: Not every country has the same electrical plug style, so carry along a universal travel adapter. You’ll want one that covers varying voltage levels, has protection from power surges, a fried laptop is not fun, and enough ports so you don’t have to spend all day individually charging your devices.
4. TRTL Travel Pillow: Get rid of the red eyes and yawning with this TRTL travel pillow. It’s not just a normal neck pillow (I mean, look at it!), the ergonomic design gives your neck and head so much comfortable support that you’ll actually be able to have some decent rest. Super easy to carry and clean, it takes up so little space compared to a traditional travel pillow.
5. Active Roots Water Bottle: Sturdy and durable, the Active Roots water bottle survives the roughest adventures while keeping your drink cold or hot for at least 24 hours. Vacuum-sealed and made from stainless steel, the bottle can fit 25oz, which is plenty to keep you hydrated. Super cool bonus: the bottle isn’t just super useful, it helps to reduce the single-use plastic waste – save the planet by filling up your bottle.
6. Noise-Cancelling Earbuds: These simple earbuds will help you out. Keeping out most of the surrounding sounds, you can either choose to listen to some relaxing music or no sound at all while falling asleep. This can be a life-saver in some unexpected party hostels. Make sure you’re well-rested for the next adventures!
Why you should travel to Varanasi
With a massive population and tourists coming from all over the globe, Varanasi is not short on laid back backpacker’s hostels and cheap guest houses. But knowing India, you typically get what you pay for. Lucky for you, we can help make sure you are both saving money and staying in only the top hostels in Varanasi!
If you are still scratching your head on where to stay in Varanasi, we can totally relate. Let us point you in the right direction by having you stay in Mustache Hostel Varanasi,our pick for the best backpacker’s hostel in Varanasi
Over to you
Down the winding alleyways of Varanasi, you never will know what is hiding behind the next corner. Will you run into a vibrant, lively celebration in the streets or escaping all the noise of the city at a tranquil temple. The spirituality of Varanasi can be felt in every corner of this holy city. From the banks of the river to the lawless streets, traveling to Varanasi is an adventure in every sense of the word!
After taking a dive into all the culture and life of Varanasi, you will want to be sure you are surfacing in a relaxing hostel, acting as your island in the middle of this sprawling city. With everything from private quiet single rooms to social terraces, there are so many ways to explore and enjoy Varanasi.
Have you ever traveled to Varanasi and stayed in a great backpackers hostel? We would love to hear about your trip! Let us know if there are any great hostels we may have missed in the comments below!
And don’t forget to sort your travel insurance before heading to Varanasi! We’ve put together a roundup of the best travel insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads, our favorite travel insurance provider.
Getting an estimate from World Nomads is simple – just click the button or image below, fill out the necessary info, and you’re on your way!
Do you own or run a kick ass hostel? Want to be featured in this list? Get in touch at [email protected]
Yay for transparency! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, The Broke Backpacker will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps keep the site going.
Need More Inspiration?
Noodle addict. City dweller. Aaron Radcliffe is the marketing ninja for The Broke Backpacker, founder of Nomads Nation and Co-Founder of Ditch Your Desk.