Bryce Canyon National Park is one of Utah’s most popular attractions. With its exquisite natural amphitheatres, its spectacular slot canyons, and it towering hoodoos, Bryce Canyon is absolutely one of America’s best-kept secrets.
But Bryce Canyon is surrounded by small towns and not all of them offer much to tourists, which is why I wrote this insider’s guide for where to stay in Bryce Canyon.
This article breaks down the best towns and neighbourhoods near Bryce Canyon into easy to digest categories, so you can quickly find the neighbourhood that’s the right fit for you.
So whether you’re looking for a good deal, a comfortable family retreat, or to stay in the coolest neighbourhood in town, you’ve come to the right place. Here are our top picks for where to stay in Bryce Canyon, Utah.
Table of Contents
- Quick Tips – Where to Stay in Bryce Canyon
- Where to Stay in Bryce Canyon
- Bryce Canyon Neighborhood Guide
- Bryce Canyon’s 5 Best Neighborhoods to Stay in
- 1. Bryce Canyon City – Where to stay in Bryce Canyon first time
- 2. Tropic – Where to stay in Bryce Canyon on a budget
- 3. Saint George – Best area to stay in Bryce Canyon for nightlife
- 4. Bryce Canyon City – Coolest place to stay in Bryce Canyon
- 5. Panguitch – Best neighbourhood in Bryce Canyon for families
Quick Tips – Where to Stay in Bryce Canyon
- Where to stay in Bryce Canyon first time – Bryce Canyon City
- Where to stay in Bryce Canyon on a budget – Tropic
- Best area to stay in Bryce Canyon for nightlife – Saint George
- Coolest place to stay in Bryce Canyon – Bryce Canyon City
- Best neighbourhood in Bryce Canyon for families – Panguitch
- Drive the Bryce Canyon Scenic Drive and take in the exquisite sights
- See magnificent views of the national park from Rainbow Point
- Soak in the stunning views from scenic Sunrise Point
Looking for a specific place to stay? These are our highest recommendations for places to stay in Bryce Canyon.
Best Budget Accommodation Option in Bryce Canyon: Bryce Pioneer Village
Bryce Pioneer Village is a charming two-star hotel located just minutes from the national park. It is a good-value lodge that boasts a stunning pool, a wonderful staff and a superb on-site restaurant. Each room has modern amenities, cable/satellite channels and a kitchenette.
Best Hotel in Bryce Canyon: Bryce Canyon Lodge
This is rustic retreat is our pick for the best hotel in Bryce Canyon, Utah. Just minutes away from the park’s main attractions, this hotel is ideally located for exploring the region. It has 114 cosy rooms, each outfitted with contemporary features, and a revered on-site restaurant.
Quick Summary: The Best Places to Stay in Bryce Canyon
Bryce Canyon City
|Check Top Hotel|
|Check Top Hotel|
|Check Top Hotel|
Bryce Canyon City
|Check Top Hotel|
|Check Top Hotel|
Set in southern Utah, Bryce Canyon is 145 square kilometres of stunning sights, incredible trails, and mind-blowing rock formations.
It is a haven for hikers, campers and nature enthusiasts. Each year, nearly one million visitors flock to the region to explore the trails and take in the gorgeous and unique natural attractions.
There are limited lodging opportunities within the park, and as you can imagine, they fill up fast. Thankfully, there are a number of small towns and charming villages that surround Bryce Canyon National Park. Each is well equipped to host visitors and has ample options for accommodations for all styles and budgets.
In this guide, we’ll take a look at the five best neighbourhoods in and around the park.
Beginning of course with Bryce Canyon City, the closest community to the park’s entrance. Bryce Canyon City is surrounded by pristine nature and spectacular vistas and is perfect for anyone looking for a relaxing retreat.
Head east and you’ll arrive in Tropic. One of the most impressive destinations in Utah, Tropic is famed for its incredible views, its access to nature and its quaint and charming atmosphere.
Set to the northwest of the park is Panguitch. Home to less than 1,500 people, Panguitch bursts with rustic and rural charm and boasts a strong sense of history and heritage.
And finally, to the southwest of the park is Saint George. A bustling base for city slickers, Saint George is a town that boasts a great variety of fun, adventure and nightlife options.
Still not sure where to stay in Bryce Canyon? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered!
Bryce Canyon’s 5 Best Neighborhoods to Stay in
Let’s take a look, in more detail at the five best neighbourhoods to stay in Bryce Canyon. Each neighbourhood and town is different from the last so be sure to pick the one that’s the best fit for you!
Bryce Canyon City is located less than five kilometres from the entrance to Bryce Canyon National Park. This small Utah town is rich in natural attractions, outdoor adventures and unbeatable views, which is why it’s our pick for where to stay in Bryce Canyon if you’re visiting for the first time.
The main attraction in Bryce Canyon City (also known as Bryce) is without a doubt the national park. The town is located within a short distance from the park’s most famous attractions, including the extraordinary Amphitheatre, the stunning Agua Canyon, and the vibrant rocks of the Natural Bridge. Make your base in Bryce Canyon City and you’re never very far from the park’s natural wonders.
Things to See and Do in Bryce Canyon City
– Explore the otherworldly Bryce Amphitheatre.
– Enjoy spectacular views of Agua Canyon.
– Drive the Bryce Canyon Scenic Drive and take in the exquisite sights.
– Snap a pic of the bright red rocks of Ponderosa Canyon.
– See magnificent views of the national park from Rainbow Point.
– Hike the strenuous Fairyland Loop.
– Peek through the Natural Bridge.
– Follow the Rim Trail along the edge of a canyon.
– Trek along the Queen’s Garden Trail, good for travellers of all ages and abilities.
– Soak in the stunning views from scenic Sunrise Point.
– Take a guided horse riding trip through the park.
– View interesting rock formations as you wander the Hat Shop trail.
Best Budget Accommodation Option in Bryce Canyon City: Bryce Canyon Resort
This pet-friendly hotel is located in Bryce Canyon City. It has an indoor swimming pool, a helpful ticket desk and 69 recently refurbished rooms with air conditioning, satellite channels and a mini kitchen. There’s also a pleasant on-site restaurant that serves delicious Italian food.
Best Hotel in Bryce Canyon City: Best Western Plus Bryce Canyon Grand Hotel
This great three-star hotel comes complete with a range of wellness facilities, including a Jacuzzi and indoor pool. Its rooms also feature spa baths, kitchenettes, and wifi access. All this combined makes it our pick for where to stay in Bryce Canyon.
Best Hotel in Bryce Canyon City: Bryce Canyon Pines
Bryce Canyon Pines is a charming and contemporary two-star hotel. Located in Bryce Canyon, this hotel is close to the park as well as many of the region’s top landmarks and attractions. This hotel boasts a range of amenities, including laundry facilities, and spacious and comfortable rooms. Breakfast is also available.
Tropic is a quaint community located in Southern Utah. Set at the base of Bryce Canyon, Tropic if famous for its spectacular views, its natural surrounding and for its easy access to the regions top attractions.
This town is also where you can find a good selection of budget hotels and inexpensive lodging options. From rustic retreats to charming inns, Tropic is the best place to stay in Bryce Canyon if you’re looking to save a few of your hard-earned travel dollars.
Tropic is also a great destination for adventurous and intrepid travellers. Here you can enjoy a myriad of outdoor activities including horseback riding, four-wheeling, hiking, biking, and more.
Things to See and Do in Tropic
– Wander along the Rim Trail.
– Hike the nearly five kilometres Navajo/Queens Garden Loop and enjoy scenic vistas.
– Take a Jeep ride through Zion National Park.
– Watch the sunrise from stunning Bryce Point.
– Hike down through the canyon on the Navajo Trail.
– Trek the Peek-A-Boo Loop and enjoy a picturesque picnic at the bottom.
– Snap an incredible picture of the canyon spread about below you from Sunset Point.
– See marvellous hoodoos in the Bryce Amphitheatre.
– Sip a fantastic cup of coffee at Bryce Canyon Coffee Co.
– Sink your teeth into great barbecue at IDK Barbecue.
– Grab a slice at The Pizza Place.
Best Budget Accommodation Option in Tropic: Bryce Pioneer Village
Bryce Pioneer Village is a charming two-star hotel located just minutes from the national park. It is a good-value lodge that boasts a stunning pool, a wonderful staff and a superb on-site restaurant. The rooms have modern amenities and offer cable/satellite channels and a convenient kitchenette.
Best Hotel in Tropic: Bryce Canyon Inn
Thanks to its central location, Bryce Canyon Inn is our choice for the best hotel in Tropic. You’ll enjoy charming rooms with elegant décor, five-star amenities and an on-site ticket service. This great hotel also boasts a BBQ/picnic area as well as free wifi throughout.
Best Hotel in Tropic: Bryce Canyon Log Cabins
With its wonderful views and its comfortable beds, it’s no wonder this is one of the best places to stay in Bryce Canyon. Comprised of 10 spacious log cabins, each private cabin is well-equipped with contemporary amenities. Guests can enjoy free wifi and a BBQ/picnic area.
Well known for its bustling and buzzing atmosphere, Saint George is also where you’ll find the best nightlife near Bryce Canyon. Now, it should be noted, that the nightlife in Saint George is by no means comparable to say, LA, Vegas, or NYC, but for this region, it’s not too bad.
Sports, bars, pubs and restaurants, dot this Utah town, offering up a good selection of relaxing places to enjoy a pint and dine on a few tasty snacks.
Beyond the bars, Saint George has a variety of museums, galleries and activities to keep you occupied and entertained when you’re looking for a break from the park.
Things to See and Do in Saint George
– Have a great night out with drinks and snacks at the Bout Time Pub and Grub.
– Satisfy your sweet tooth at Croshaw’s Gourmet Pies, Inc.
– Eat incredible dishes at the Painted Pony.
– Solve puzzles and answer riddles to escape the room at the Mystery Escape Room.
– Wander throughout the beautiful Pioneer Park.
– Rent ATVs and tour Utah’s desert landscapes as you zoom across dunes and cruise through canyons.
– Browse the exhibits at Rosenbruch Wildlife Museum.
– Explore Red Cliffs Recreation Area and take in the amazing views.
– Enjoy amazing seafood and American fare with a stunning view at the Cliffside Restaurant.
– Grab a pint at Wing Nutz.
Best Budget Accommodation Option in Saint George: Clarion Suites
Thanks to its central location, Clarion Suites is one of the best hostels in Saint George. It has an indoor pool, laundry services and convenient luggage storage. Each room comes complete with a fridge, microwave and coffee/tea facilities. This hotel also boasts a delicious and relaxing on-site restaurant.
Best Hotel in Saint George: Wingate by Wyndham St George
This three-star hotel is our pick for where to stay in Saint George. Conveniently located within the city, this hotel is close to cafes, restaurants and Saint George’s top attractions. This hotel boasts a number of awesome amenities including a hair salon, a golf course, a pool, and a gym.
Best Hotel in Saint George: BEST WESTERN Coral Hills
A stunning pool and a great location make this hotel an excellent choice for your stay in Saint George. A short walk from local attractions, this hotel is close to restaurants, cafes and shops. It has a stylish lounge bar and an outdoor swimming pool.
In addition to being the best place to stay in Bryce Canyon if you’re visiting for the first time, Bryce Canyon City is far and away the coolest neighbourhood in town. Home to a series of horseshoe-shaped amphitheatres, spiralling spires and unique rock formations, Bryce Canyon City is a destination that will intrigue and delight visitors of all ages, styles and interests.
A small town of just a few hundred people, Bryce Canyon City is bursting with opportunities for adventure. Whether you want to explore on foot, rent horses and head out on an ATV, there are plenty of ways to enjoy the amazing sights and sounds of Bryce Canyon City.
Things to See and Do in Bryce Canyon City
– Fuel up before a big day at Bryce Canyon Lodge.
– Dine on delicious food and pies at Bryce Canyon Pines.
– Eat well at Cowboy Ranch House at Bryce Canyon Resort, a cosy restaurant.
– Savour delicious American-style dishes at Stone Hearth Grill.
– Hike the Mossy Cave Trail at night and gaze up at the brilliant night sky.
– Enjoy the magnificent views from Inspiration Point.
– See a Thor’s Hammer, a rock formation that looks just like the Norse god’s sledgehammer.
– Climb to the top of Bryce Point and take in the sunrise.
– Rent ATVs and explore the park on two very fun wheels.
– Enjoy the vibrant colours of the Three Wisemen rock formations.
Best Budget Accommodation Option in Bryce Canyon City: Bryce View Lodge
The Bryce View Lodge is a rustic hotel with contemporary features and a fantastic location. Set in Bryce Canyon City, this hotel provides guests with easy access to the park as well as a range of outdoor activities. Its rooms have awesome views of the forest, as well as wireless internet and coffee/tea facilities.View on Booking.com View on HotelsCombined View on Agoda
Best Hotel in Bryce Canyon City: Best Western PLUS Ruby’s Inn
Comfortable and charming, this three-star hotel is a great base for your time in Bryce Canyon. Comprised of 370 spacious rooms, this hotel comes complete with a spa, a wellness centre, a pool and a Jacuzzi. There’s also a delicious on-site restaurant, a bicycle rental, and a BBQ area.
Best Hotel in Bryce Canyon City: Bryce Canyon Lodge
This is rustic retreat is the best place to stay in Bryce Canyon, Utah. Just minutes away from the park’s main attractions, this hotel is ideally located for exploring the region. It has 114 cosy rooms, each outfitted with contemporary features, and a revered on-site restaurant.
Panguitch is a town bursting with pioneer spirit and rustic charm. With its colourful main drag and its strong sense of history, Panguitch is a town where Western ambience brims in full force.
A hub for outdoor adventures, Panguitch is our recommendation for where to stay in Bryce Canyon for families. Not only is it a short drive from Bryce Canyon National Park, but it is a great base for exploring many of Utah’s other great parks, including Zion and Capital Reef. You’ll also find Cedar Breaks National Monument and Dixie National Forest close by.
Things to See and Do in Panguitch
– See incredible natural scenery in Red Canyon.
– Catch a flick at the historic Panguitch GEM Theatre.
– Shop for souvenirs at the Bryce Canyon Trading Post.
– Dine on savoury and succulent burgers, fries, steak and more at Cowboy’s Smokehouse Café.
– Sink your teeth into delicious American fare at Henrie’s Drive Inn.
– Eat an incredible slice of pizza at C Stop Pizza.
– Enjoy awesome food and a welcoming local atmosphere at Kenny Rays.
– Dig into a large plate of tasty food at the Big Fish Family Restaurant.
– Explore Bryce Canyon National Park.
– Hike the Bristlecone Loop through a coniferous forest.
Best Budget Accommodation Option in Panguitch: Purple Sage Motel
This quaint three-star hotel is your best bet for budget accommodations in Panguitch. It is a short drive to Bryce Canyon City and the stunning national park. This hotel has 14 spotless rooms with comfortable beds and essential amenities. You’ll also enjoy free wifi throughout your stay.
Best Hotel in Panguitch: Blue Pine Motel
In addition to its great location, this motel has a swimming pool, comfortable rooms and free wireless internet. A short 20-minute drive from the airport, this two-star motel is also close to Bryce Canyon City. It has 20 comfortable and spacious rooms, great for families keen to explore the region.
Best Hotel in Panguitch: Quality Inn Bryce Canyon Western Resort
This is the best place to stay in Panguitch thanks to its wonderful views, comfortable rooms and its extraordinary amenities. Each of the hotels’ 80 charming rooms comes with its own microwave, TV, and coffee/tea making facilities. There’s also an on-site restaurant and breakfast is available each morning.
Final Thoughts on Where to Stay in Bryce Canyon
In this guide, we’ve covered the five best neighbourhoods to stay in and around Bryce Canyon, Utah. Unfortunately, there aren’t many hostels in the area. To ensure Bryce Canyon is accessible to all styles of travellers, we’ve tried to include budget hotels and inexpensive motels alongside rustic lodges and relaxing retreats.
Bryce Canyon is a truly spectacular location. With its unique rock formations and it’s otherworldly views, you won’t believe your eyes as you explore this exquisite natural wonder.
To recap; Bryce Pioneer Village is our pick for the best budget accommodations in Bryce Canyon. Not only is it a good value, but it has a pool, a restaurant and modern amenities.
Another great option is the iconic Bryce Canyon Lodge. This rustic retreat has cosy rooms, a delicious restaurant, and is just minutes from the park’s main attractions.
Don’t forget to sort your travel insurance! We’ve put together a roundup of the best travel insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads now, our favourite travel insurance provider.
Do you own an awesome hostel, hotel or apartment? Want to be featured in our list? Email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out how.
Yay for transparency! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, The Broke Backpacker will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps me keep the site going.
Need More Inspiration?
- 25 Best National Parks in the USA
- Backpacking in Northern Utah
- Backpacking San Francisco Travel Guide