Budva is a delightful town on the coast of Montenegro. Its consolidation of the historical and the modern is exquisite, making it the perfect place for a getaway to suit all types of travellers!
There’s a huge range of activities to take part in here, whether it’s relaxing in the Mediterranean sun on one of the area’s picturesque beaches or exploring its historical city walls!
With so much on offer, it can be quite overwhelming when trying to decide where to stay in Budva.
But with our easy, step-by-step guide, you’ll find the best areas to stay in Budva to meet your interests and budget!
Without further ado, here’s our guide to where to stay in Budva, Montenegro.
Quick Tips: Where to Stay in Budva
- Where to stay in Budva for your first time: Old Town
- Where to stay in Budva on a budget: Podmaine
- Where to stay in Budva for nightlife: Budva Promenade
- Coolest place to stay in Budva: Becici
- Where to stay in Budva for families: Jaz
- The main gate along the walls is the spectacular Porta di Terra Ferma, entering from the west.
- Take a stroll along the ancient defensive stone walls that surround the Old Town.
- Fancy getting out of your comfort zone and into the Adriatic Sea?
Looking for a specific stay? These are our highest recommendations for places to stay in Budva…
Best Hostel in Budva: Freedom Hostel 2
This hostel is the best choice if you want a relaxing getaway, with its chilled-out atmosphere and friendly staff. It’s also a great place to stay in Budva is you want to explore the spirit of the ancient part of the city, as it is situated right at the heart of the Old Town!
If you’re an adrenaline junkie, you’ll see on the website, the owners have plenty of partner companies to offer you an unforgettable stay, no matter how long you’re in Budva!View on HostelWorld
Best Airbnb in Budva: Romantic Studio for 2 People
Just 15 minutes from the beach is this delightful apartment, where you’ll be right a the centre of things without infringing on your downtime! With a relaxed atmosphere and all the facilities you could need, you’ll have a truly stress-free break here!
The owners of this Airbnb are superhosts and as part of the package will offer you free transport to and from the airport! They also offer the option to rent a car to get out into the countryside or they’ll drive you there themselves!View on Airbnb
Best Hotel in Budva: Avala Resort & Villas
You can see how this hotel made it to our best hotel in Budva spot – just look at how many visitors it gets each year! If you want to experience Budva at its most luxurious, look no further than this delightful hotel!
There are pools, restaurants, bars, outdoor areas and large, spacious rooms. Although you might not want to leave this amazing space, it is ideally located in the heart of the Old Town- our best place to stay in Budva for your first time!View on Booking.com
Quick Summary: The Best Places to Stay in Budva
|Check Top HostelCheck Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top HostelCheck Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
With so much history, culture and scenery to enjoy, Budva is one of the best places to visit in Montenegro!
Budva’s Top 5 Neighborhoods to Stay In
Budva is a stunning town on the Adriatic coast of Montenegro. Right at the centre of Budva’s tourism, it’s the best place to stay in Montenegro if you want to see some beautiful sights without the overwhelming cityscape you’d find elsewhere in Europe! Over two and a half thousand years old, Budva is one of the oldest settlements on the Adriatic Coast, making it an ancient and fascinating place to visit!
It’s home for just under 20,000 people but the wider area occupies plenty of people in some gorgeous little neighbourhoods. An example is Jaz, the perfect place to stay in Budva for families, with fantastic beaches and amazing history. If you want to explore an area not often visited in this part of Montenegro, head to Becici! With amazing culture and the chance to paraglide over the city – where else would you go for a unique experience!
However, the best place to stay in Budva for your first time is definitely the Old Town. There’s so much to explore in this ancient neighbourhood, especially for those of you if you have an interest in history. It’s small enough to walk around, saving you money and the planet!
You might think Budva being so old would make its nightlife relatively quiet, but you’d be wrong! The best place to visit in Budva for a top quality night out is Budva Promenade where you can look over the Adriatic Sea whilst sipping on a cocktail!
Although old, Budva is very well connected. There are great quality roads into the town, like the Adriatic Highway and Tivat Airport is 20km away. Trains are somewhat scarce, but buses will see you around the area easily
Situated on a rocky peninsula is this beautiful settlement, thought to date back as far as the Illyrian period! An ancient, strong fortress, the Old Town is the best place to stay in Budva if you want to get the real atmosphere of the historical landmark that this town is.
Although it was damaged quite heavily in the 1979 earthquake, lots of hard work went into reparations, meaning the damage is barely noticeable now!
Things to See and Do in Old Town
– Take a stroll along the ancient defensive stone walls that surround the Old Town. Dating back from the town’s Venetian rule, they have many features along them such as towers and gates!
– The main gate along the walls is the spectacular Porta di Terra Ferma, entering from the west.
– Take a walk along the town’s main thoroughfare, Njegoseva Street, where you’ll see some of the most gorgeous architecture in the town!
– There are several ancient churches in the Old Town, such as St Ivan’s dating back from the 17th century, the Holy Trinity Church from 1804 and the oldest church in the Old Town, Santa Maria in Punta, which dates back from 840 AD!
– Budva is famous for its casinos, so if you want to delve into the local culture, head to the Avala Casino!
– Fancy getting out of your comfort zone and into the Adriatic Sea? Take a trip to Budva Diving Centre where you can explore the world under the sea!
Best Hostel in Budva: Freedom Hostel Budva
This is a quirky and authentic option if you’re looking to see Montenegro at its most rustic! Upon arrival, you’ll be offered a welcome drink which you can enjoy in the common room – the perfect place to meet other travellers and make new friends!
There’s free Wi-Fi and maps so you’ll be able to plan your adventures easily from this base!View on HostelWorld
Best Airbnb in Old Town: New modern and bright Old Town apartment
This apartment really is what it says in its name- modern, bright and spacious! You’ll have this gorgeous studio to yourselves, excellently located just a few minutes’ walk away from attractions such as the marina and local beaches.
Relax with a morning coffee on the balcony, plan your day with the free Wi-Fi and catch up on the local news on the LCD TV!View on Airbnb
Best Hotel in Old Town: Sailor House
Another fabulously authentic option here, with the chance to stay in a listed building in Budva! It is truly rustic, perfectly located in the Old Town!
However, its age has not affected its facilities. Each room is equipped with air conditioning and flat-screen TVs, and there’s a shared kitchen for your convenience!View on Booking.com
Just north of the town centre is Podmaine, the best place to stay in Budva if you’re travelling on a budget. There’s loads of opportunities to get into the great outdoors in the beautiful countryside that surrounds Budva!
You won’t break your bank with the activities or accommodation on offer here, with plenty of cheap outdoor activities and peaceful churches to visit!
Things to See and Do in Podmaine
– Built in the 15th century, Podmaine Monastery is a beautifully peaceful complex for you to visit when you feel like getting out of the bustle of the town centre.
– If you want to find your perfect gift or souvenir from your trip, head to the Tourist Market- a gorgeous little shop where you’ll find all manner of local trinkets!
– Love the outdoors? Why not go for a hike at Podostrog – one of the most scenic and popular hiking areas in Budva!
– More outdoor adventures now! For the best view of the town and its surroundings, why not have a go at Paragliding?
– Take a trip slightly north to Kosmac Fort if you love history! A ruined fortress from ancient times, there’s so much to explore and learn here!
– Like racking your brain and puzzle-solving? Head to Escape Rooms Montenegro! The perfect place to go with your friends and try to beat the clock!
Best Airbnb in Podmaine: Apartment by the pool
You’ve guessed it! This apartment is by the pool, in fact, its French window opens out onto the pool so you couldn’t really be closer! Start your day with a swim before heading out into the eclectic area of Podmaine!
With a TV visible from the bed, and a delightful kitchen/diner, this apartment will provide for your every need!View on Airbnb
Best Hotel in Podmaine: Garni Hotel Koral
Situated in the glorious suburbs with fantastic views of the towering mountains is this hotel. With a delightful courtyard and restaurant, you’ll want for nothing here!
Elegantly furnished and equipped with everything you could ask for, this hotel is amazing value for money!View on Booking.com
Best Luxury Hotel in Podmaine: Chill and Go Aparthotel
As the name would suggest, this hotel is the perfect place to relax and have a base before you go out on your adventures exploring Podmaine!
With little luxuries such as a pool and with the beach just a short drive away, this is excellent value if you’re trying not to break the bank but still have a fantastic trip!View on Booking.com
The Promenade has seen some great night spots spring up in the last couple of years, especially right on the seafront. You can enjoy some spectacular views while sipping on a cocktail or digging into some delicious local cuisine.
There are daytime activities too though- the marina is nearby for you to get a look at some luxury boats! There are also beaches for you to cure your hangovers with a dip in the sea.
Things to See and Do in Budva Promenade
– Are you boaty? Head down to Dukley Marina, where you’ll see some of Montenegro’s famous luxury yachts and look across the deep blue Adriatic Sea.
– Cure your hangover with a dip in the sea or an afternoon of sunbathing on Greco Beach!
– For a bit of fun to start off your night, head to Luna park Popivoda – a fun-filled amusement park for people of all ages!
– Another beach for you to enjoy which is slightly quieter is Slovenska Plaza. A little more shingley, but the water is deep and blue and it boasts amazing views of further down the coast in both directions!
– The Promenade has seen loads of night clubs, restaurants and bars spring up in recent years. They’re the perfect way to enjoy a meal or a drink whilst looking over the bay. Some of the best are Tropico, where you’ll find some lovely local cuisine, Azzuro Beach Bar and Panama Bar, where you can grab a cocktail and look over the beach!
Best Hostel in Budva Promenade: Hostel Budva
Brand new and ready to offer you an amazing experience is this hostel in the heart of Budva! There’s the option of a dormitory-style room or your own private quarters – there are even some rooms with their own balcony!
With a fabulous social area under the vineyard, this is the best place to stay on the Promenade if you want to make friends and have unforgettable nights!View on HostelWorld
Best Airbnb in Budva Promenade: Elena Fontana
This apartment is one in a million! You couldn’t get any closer to the coast if you tried and the balcony boasts amazing views across the city – the perfect place to have a cocktail or two!
The space itself is modern and contemporary, with everything you could ask for in terms of facilities! What are you waiting for? Book away!View on Airbnb
Best Hotel in Budva Promenade: Hotel Budva
Here, you’ll be spoilt for choice of ways to relax (and potentially recover from a hangover or two!) There’s a pool, as well as a spa where you can get a hot stone massage, or a sauna if you prefer to sit and meditate.
The brilliant restaurant is the best place to end your day exploring, and the terrace is the best place to start your night for a drink with friends!View on Booking.com
Want to delve into the amazing and eclectic culture of Montenegro, whilst also seeing a part of the town that you might not usually travel to? Then Becici is the place for you – the coolest place to stay in Budva!
Whether you love outdoor adventures or just want to sit back, relax and enjoy some Mediterranean sunshine, this is the place for you!
Things to See and Do in Becici
– Want to be a kid again? Head to the aqua park ‘Mediteran’! You’re sure to have some childish fun to brighten up your stay.
– One of the things Montenegro is so famous for is its gambling culture. Although it’s important to make sure you don’t take it too far, if you want to try it out for a bit of fun – head to Merit Casino Royal Splendid, right on the seafront!
– The best way to see Becici? From the air! Head to the Paragliding Montenegro Club if you’re brave enough!
– Sit back, relax and take in the beating sun on Becici Beach! Take a dip in the pool or work on your tan as you truly unwind!
– To see a traditional Montenegrin church, take a look around St Thomas Church. It has delightful bells and really emulates the ancient Montenegrin culture.
Best Airbnb in Becici: Vacation by the sea – Apartment with beautiful terrace
You’ll be blown away by the beauty of this apartment. The interiors are simple but charming, but the main feature of this space is the outdoor areas.
Whether you’re eating breakfast, lunch or dinner, you’ll be covered by a gorgeous canopy of plants and you’ll have spectacular views of the Adriatic Sea! What more could you want?View on Airbnb
Best Hotel in Becici: Hotel Zeta
This is a stylish, contemporary hotel with a wide range of deals on offer to ensure you find the perfect stay for you!
Overlooking the stunning area of Becici from your balcony, you can relax in your room or use some of the hotels’ fantastic facilities. Whether it’s the hot tub, sauna or bar, you’re sure you find time to relax here!View on Booking.com
Best Luxury Hotel in Becici: Splendid Conference & Spa Resort
The clue really is in the name with this one, and boy, is it splendid! Each and every room is luxurious in its own unique way and the possibilities are endless with the activities you can take part in!
There’s an indoor pool, an outdoor pool, a sauna and a steam room! You’ll feel fully immersed in relaxation during your stay here, but don’t let that stop you exploring! This hotel is perfectly situated in Becici, so make sure you make the most of this amazing location!View on Booking.com
Jaz is the beautiful neighbourhood just around the corner from Budva Old Town. There’s white sandy beaches, deep blue seas, all surrounded by amazing historical features.
If you want a relaxing family holiday without missing out on seeing the sights of Budva, then Jaz is the best place to stay for you!
Things to See and Do in Jaz
– What Jaz is the most famous for is its idyllic beach, where you can sit back, relax and bask in the gorgeous Montenegrin sun. It’s also known as being the location for several summer festivals, such as the Sea Dance Festival!
– Why not take the kids out on a historical trip to see some ancient city walls and even a fortress? Jaz Battery Fort Mogren is the best place to visit if you love a family day out with spectacular views but also with plenty to learn!
– Show the kids an amazing view across the Adriatic Sea at Budva Vista Point! Catch the sunset across the water or just enjoy the blazing sunshine reflecting on the waves – it’s a sight you can’t miss!
– If you fancy relaxing on a beach that’s a little quieter then you need to head down to Mogren Beach. If you want to have a family beach day then this is the best place for you to visit!
Best Airbnb in Jaz: Brand New Luxury Apartment on Jaz Beach
When we say this apartment is on Jaz Beach, we mean it’s literally ON Jaz Beach. Enjoy breakfast on your own private terrace overlooking the turquoise blue Adriatic Sea!
It’ll be a trial keeping the kids in the flat at this amazing stay, but its something worth suffering when you consider the location! The space itself is modern and spacious, with a great kitchen and TV!View on Airbnb
Best Hotel in Jaz: Vidikovac Budva
Have a family dinner overlooking the Adriatic Sea at this gorgeous hotel! You won’t break the bank here, but you’ll still get your fill of luxury!
Just a short drive to all of Jaz’s best attractions, there’s a range of room sizes available, making this hotel the best place to stay for families!View on Booking.com
Best Luxury Hotel in Jaz: Belvedere Apartments
If you and your family would prefer your won private luxurious space, that can be catered for too! Take your pick of any of these fantastic apartments, available in a range of sizes and with a range of features, such as balconies overlooking the sea!
Within driving distance of the airport and near a bus station, this hotel is convenient as well as luxurious!View on Booking.com
Final Thoughts on Where to Stay in Budva
Stunning scenery, fascinating history and quirky culture – Budva has so much to offer for travellers of all types! It comes as no surprise that Budva is the perfect place to stay for all ages!
To recap: Old Town is the best place to stay in Budva for your first time. It’s the best place to find out all the amazing things about Budva’s past and has some great accommodation too!
To recap: Budva’s most luxurious hotel is definitely the Avala Resort and Villas. The perfect place to relax!
If you are travelling on a budget, then the best place to stay in Freedom Hostel 2 – renowned service and a friendly atmosphere!
Have we missed anything? Let us know in the comments below! Otherwise, enjoy your travels!
Don’t forget to sort your travel insurance! We’ve put together a roundup of the best travel insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads now, our favourite travel insurance provider.
Getting an estimate from World Nomads is simple – just click the button or image below, fill out the necessary info, and you’re on your way!
Do you own an awesome hostel, hotel or apartment? Want to be featured in our list? Email [email protected] to find out how.
Yay for transparency! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, The Broke Backpacker will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps me keep the site going.