Sitting on the banks of the river of the same name, Ottawa is the very underrated capital city of Canada. It’s a buzzing, cosmopolitan city home to one million people, some fine museums, a cool, creative nightlife scene and some tasty food!
You know what’s not the most fun thing to do in Ottawa? Figure out where to stay. Given the immense size of this city, it can be quite overwhelming to figure out where to stay. Go ahead and set your worries aside, because we here at the Broke Backpacker are here to save the day! We have created this list of the best Airbnbs in Ottawa just for you…
Let’s not waste any more time. We are sure that you are hungry to know more about the best of the best in Ottawa Airbnb accommodations. Let’s get to it!
Quick Answer: These are the Top 5 Airbnbs in Ottawa
Chic Studio Close to Downtown
- > $
- > 2 guests
- > Fully Equipped Kitchen
- > Excellent Location
Cute Home away from Home
- > $$
- > 1 guest
- > Free meals for longterm guests
- > Cuddles from the family dog
Sweet Home Away From Home Apt.
- > $$
- > 2 guests
- > Free snacks, tea & coffee
- > Free snacks, tea & coffee
Spectacular & Spacious Historic Apt.
- > $$$
- > 6 guests
- > Baby & Toddler Essentials
- > Hear Notre-Dame’s Bells from Home
Condo in the Heart of Byward Market
- > $$$$
- > 5 Guests
- > Private Gym & Game Room
- > Private BBQ & outdoor tanning area
Looking for other types of accommodation? Check out our guide to Where to Stay in Ottawa!
Why Stay in an Airbnb?
- Local Experience: Whether your host is a private owner or a business, they’ll be able to give you the top tips on the best places to visit in Ottawa. That doesn’t just go for this city, but for anywhere in Canada.
- Unique Properties: In a place chock full of unique vacation rentals, why on earth would you want to stay in a drab and dull hotel?!
- Privacy: Cabins, chalets, and treehouses mean you and your companion(s) can get the break you need without anyone else interfering.
- Affordability: When it comes to value for money, Airbnbs offer so much more than hotels at the same price. Perfect for those that are backpacking Canada on a budget.
- Airbnb Experiences: Airbnb isn’t just about great places to stay; it also offers incredible local experiences. We’ll show you some of our favourites in a bit.
You should always have emergency cash hidden on you – pick up this awesome security belt with its hidden pocket before you travel, it’s perfect for hiding money, a passport photocopy.
The 15 Top Airbnbs in Ottawa
We won’t make you wait any longer – here are our absolute favorite Airbnbs in Ottawa. Once you figure out where you want to stay, head over to our insider Ottawa itinerary, to find out about the hidden gems and hotspots of the city!
Overall Best Value Airbnb in Ottawa | Chic Studio Close to Downtown
- Fully Equipped Kitchen
- 2 Guests
- Excellent Location
This one bedroom and one bathroom Ottawa apartment is the best value Airbnb in Ottawa. It is totally chic and exhibits a great attention to detail. Both warm and cozy, this apartment is very close to the University of Ottawa, as well as the Downtown scene. You can step out of your door and be amongst the students, soaking up the vibe!
There are tons of restaurants, shops, and cafes close to this Ottawa apartment. Make sure to note that even though it is a basement unit, there is a window where sunlight streams through in the daytime. Given the price and location, it’s hard to find a cheaper short term rental in Ottawa to stay that still has this level of privacy and cute chic vibes!
Best Budget Airbnb in Ottawa | Downtown Basement Studio
- 2 Guests
- Free Parking
You might not have the best views, but you’ll located be in the heart of the city if you’re staying at this Airbnb. The basement studio has a floor window, so you won’t be sitting in the dark all day. Its fully equipped with your own kicthen, a comfy bed and there’s also free parking on premises. It’s one of the most affordable homes in Ottawa, so it’s perfect for money-conscious backpackers or solo-travellers. There’s also a little table which is ideal for doing some work on your laptop.
Budget Tip: Dorms in Ottawa start from $25USD per bed. They’re the cheapest accommodation in the city. Search for hostels in the area!
Perfect Short-Term Rental for Digital Nomads | Perfect Condo To Get Work Done
- Multiple places to work
- 2 Guest
- Incredible location
Having a comfy space to work is rare in most Airbnbs. Not at this one though! This stunning condo couldn’t be any better for Digital Nomads. You’ll be located a bit further from the centre of the city, but still in walking distance to all attractions. The condo is brandnew and offers a great working desk right by the window. If you need a break, just go for a walk around the river or chill on your comfy sofa while watching your favorite series on the Flat Screen TV. The unit comes with free parking, and guests get access to the building’s amenities, such as a gym and a rooftop patio.
Perfect Airbnb for Solo Travelers | Private Room Next to Downtown
- Busy neighborhood but quiet home
- 2 Guests
- Super kind and helpful host
This Private Room in a shared house is the perfect spot for solo travellers that want to explore the city like a local. You’ll have a super bright and spacious room to yourself, while the rest of the house is shared with the host. Guests are welcome to use the fully equipped kitchen and to help themselves to complimentary coffee and tea. Moreover, guests are invited to relax in the living room and tearrace — treating this Ottawa Airbnb like a home away from home. Lastly, it’s worth noting that this is a very spacious apartment, with plenty of room to breathe, and is also full of character.
Best Airbnb in Ottawa for Nightlife | Modern 1-BR Apartment in Top Location
- Brandnew and modern
- 2 Guests
- Smart TV with free Netflix access
This studio apartment in Ottawa is one bedroom and one bathroom rental. There is a sofa bed for those who are traveling with a party of three. Speaking of party, this Ottawa Airbnb puts you right where the party is at! Byward Market! This area is known for having the best bars in Ottawa, all of which are crammed in a few city blocks. We love the abundance of bars from the zany and quirky Avant-Garde Bar to the lively Scottish Highlander Pub to the legendary Chateau Lafayette (The Laff).
When staying at this Ottawa Airbnb expect to take advantage of the incredible scene in Byward Market. You can pre-load in your apartment, hit the bars and then walk home!
Best Short Term Rental for Couples | Sweet Home Away From Home Apt.
- Sparkling Clean Apt
- 2 Guests
- Free snacks, tea & coffee
This Ottawa apartment rental is a dream come true! It is a one-bedroom and one bathroom Airbnb in Ottawa that is perfect for a romantic getaway. This short term rental is close to a bevy of restaurants, parks, shopping centers, and bars, near Lower Town Ottawa. Situated on a quiet street, this safe neighborhood puts you at only a 10-minute walk to downtown. Guests will have access to everything in the apartment, including a fully-equipped kitchen stocked with coffee, tea, and snacks for their guests to help themselves too.
There is also free parking and high-speed internet. Given the vibes and the unique charm of this rental, you and your significant other will feel right at home in this short term rental in Ottawa.
Best Homestay in Ottawa | Cute Home away from Home
- Free meals for longterm guests
- 1 Guest
- Cuddles from the family dog
This cute homestay will make you feel like you’re at home from the second you step through the door. The lovely renovated heritage home is located in the quiet residential area of the Byward Market, in walking distance to outdoor vendors, museums, the Rideau Canal and the Parliament Buildings. You’ll have a cozy room to yourself, but all common areas are shared with the hosts. Speaking of, they are known to be incredibly kind and helpful, so if you need any recommendations or advice on what to do, just reach out to them – they’ll take good care of you!
Runner-Up Homestay in Ottawa | Artsy Room in Lowertown
- Eclectic Vibes w/ Artistic Taste
- 2 Guests
- Front Porch & Back Porch Access
This Lowertown Ottawa Airbnb rental is for a private room in a house, a one-bedroom with a shared bathroom. It’s a bright, clean room, filled with lots of artistic touches. From the funky accent pillows to the Aztec shawl tacked to the wall as decor to the golden “om” sign adorning the bed frame.
This artsy Ottawa homestay puts you close to all the best things, and everything is quite walkable. There is actually a 24-hour convenience store right on the corner of the street, should you forget any necessities. Also, the main bus line passes directly by this short term rental, and there are many bike packs should you wish to explore Ottawa on wheels! Additionally, you will not only have access to just your bedroom and bathroom, but you are also able to use the kitchen, front porch, back porch, dining room, and living room which happily functions as both the movie theatre and the yoga room!
Amazing Luxury Airbnb in Ottawa | Deluxe High-Rise Condo w/ City View
- Free Underground Parking
- 4 Guests
- Pool, Hot Tub & Gym
This luxurious two-bedroom and two bathroom Ottawa apartment is located in the very center of Ottawa. It’s a modern apartment with the most bright, crisp, and clean kitchen. The art that adorns the walls exhibits incredible taste and adds a layer of polish to this elegant Ottawa Airbnb. The entire apartment is immaculate.
There is a grocery store and a wine shop very close by, which makes errand running as easy as pie! The city view from the living room balcony is unparalleled. Guests will have access to the gym, sauna, indoor swimming pool, and a sunbathing outdoor terrace. This modern short term rental in Ottawa will make you feel so pampered, you might never way to leave (but please do. The terms of our partnership don’t allow us to condone Air B n B squatting).
Over-the-Top Luxury Airbnb | Condo in the Heart of Byward Market
- Private BBQ & outdoor tanning area
- 5 Guests
- Private Gym & Game Room
This two-bedroom luxurious condo is right in the heart of Byward Market. It is a stunning condo that is within walking distance of all the main tourist attractions. Inside this modern Ottawa Airbnb, you will find a personal and private gym area, as well as a game room complete with a billiards table and foosball table. Outside on the balcony, there is a private BBQ and outdoor tanning area, just for you and your friends!
Keep in mind that all the aforementioned amenities are completely private and inside the condo itself! Inside this Ottawa apartment, there truly is all the bells and whistles that goes above and beyond! Our favorite part of this rental is the views of the parliament building right from your balcony and the floor to ceiling windows.
Best Airbnb in Ottawa for Families | Spectacular & Spacious Historic Apt.
- Hear Notre-Dame’s Bells from Home
- 6 Guests
- Baby & Toddler Essentials
This three bedroom and one bathroom apartment is perfect for your family’s next trip. Located next to Byward Market, this historic Ottawa apartment sits on a quiet street with plentiful off-street parking. Both large and bright, this apartment is also kindly equipped with Netflix preprogrammed on the TV and milk in the fridge!
This short term rental is very near the Notre-Dame Basilica, and you can enjoy hearing the bells toll. For those travelling with young ones, the host has thoughtfully provided a crib, high chair, and Pack n’ play travel crib for guest usage. Stair gates are also available, which is an excellent safety feature. Check-in has been made easy with a door code, so check-in is truly a breeze! It’s definitely one of the best Airbnbs to stay in Ottawa with the family in tow!
Best Airbnb in Ottawa for a Group of Friends | Modern Downtown Penthouse
- 55′ 4K Smart TV w/ Netflix
- 6 Guests
- State of the Art Gym
Ever wanted to feel like an executive and live in a Penthouse? Well, now you can.
This gorgeous penthouse short term rental in Ottawa is right in the heart of downtown. It’s a two-bedroom and one bathroom rental that has a third sofa bed available in the living room. And yes, oh yes, this Airbnb in Ottawa is a penthouse suite— right on the top floor of a huge building! Inside you will find a 55′ 4K Smart TV preprogrammed with Netflix, fast 75mb/s wifi, and Egyptian cotton bedding.
You and your friends/mistress will feel like kings and queens in this incredible penthouse suite! There is also one free underground parking space for those who are traveling with cars.
Best Airbnb in The Glebe | Modern Sunshine in Glebe Studio
- Brandnew amenities
- 4 Guests
- Indoor Fireplace
This is our top entire place to stay in Glebe, complete with one bedroom and one bathroom. This short term rental was recently renovated and has a brand-spanking-new kitchen, bathroom, and living room. Located in one of the hippest areas, you’ll love the quirky neighborhood and easy walking distance to lots of hidden gems and cool attractions. There are two bedrooms. meaning yu can even bring some friends along. It’s not the cheapest of all Airbnbs, but you definitely get quite a bit of value for your money.
Another Great Apartment in The Glebe | Massive 2-Floor Apartment
- Free parking
- 6 Guests
- Outdoor patio
If you’re travelling with a group of friends or your family, you’ll love this spacious apartment. The three bedrooms sleep up to 6 people at a time. There’s a great livingroom to socialize and watch TV, while everyone still has enough space to enjoy some privacy if they need some time alone. The neighborhood couldn’t be any better – you’re a short 2 minute walk from Lansdowne Park & TD Place in the heart of the hip and historic Glebe. If you’re travelling with your car, you’ll be pleased to know that there’s a free parking spot included in the rental as well.
Top Value Airbnb in Gatineau/Downtown Ottawa | Comfy Studio Apt. Downtown
- Abundant Sunshine
- 4 Guests
- Rooftop Patio
This studio Ottawa apartment located in the heart of Downtown Ottawa also called Gatineau. It is close to all the capital’s most popular tourist sites. It is a one-bedroom and one bathroom apartment, however, there is a spacious sofa bed available which means hosting four guests is a breeze. Expect abundant sunshine to flow throughout this Ottawa apartment though all the windows. The roof-top patio is a dream with dazzling south-facing views of the city below. It is also worth mentioning that there is a record player for those who love the sound of record tunes. Swoon and croon on, my friends!
What to Pack for your Ottawa Airbnb
Our Broke Backpacker editors have put together a shortlist of their Airbnb essentials, which you can find here.
1. Active Roots Microfiber Towel: Most Airbnb’s provide towels, but I always keep my own handy on my travels in case I can’t get the linens cleaned during a long stay. The Active Roots Microfiber Towel doesn’t just sound fancy, it kinda is fancy. The super comfy material is absorbent and quick-drying – perfect for after a shower or a quick jump into the water. Use it as a beach towel, picnic blanket or yoga towel too. Lightweight and compact, it’ll hardly take up any space in your suitcase.
2. Travel Blow Dryer: Most accommodations only offer the basics when it comes to bathroom necessities, and a blow dryer is usually not on the list. Bringing your own on your travels can not only save you a lot of time, but in some cases, it can even save your hair. This Mini Blow Dryers is foldable, compact and travel-friendly, meaning that it’ll fit in every bag without taking up too much space. It comes with different heat settings, so you’ll be able to find the perfect one for you.
3. Active Roots Toiletry Bag: Many Airbnb hosts will provide basic toiletries, but not everyone is happy to find a simple bar of harsh soap so you’ll want to come with some of your own supplies in case. This Active Roots Toiletry Bag keeps all of your bathroom essentials organized, accessible and safe from leaking into your suitcase. The bag stands on its own or hangs off a towel rack. Made from water-resistant and durable material, you can be sure that this bag will survive lots of great holidays.
4. Packing Cubes: Packing Cubes make putting everything into your suitcase a breeze. They keep your essentials organized – no more rolling t-shirts or wrinkling as you excitedly pack for your next holiday. Packing cubes are also great for longer stays, especially when you want to unpack completely. You put the cubes in your Airbnb closet to get that moved-in feeling without really unpacking everything.
5. Travel Journal: This travel journal is a good option to write down what you’ve experienced and remember each day of your travels. It also comes in handy when organizing and planning activities. A travel journal is perfect to put down the little things you see and capture in writing all those inspiring thoughts you’ll have while roaming the planet!
6. Bluetooth Speaker: Music always brightens up the mood, which is why a Bluetooth speaker has to be one of the essentials in your suitcase or backpack. Whether you’re at the beach, alone at your Airbnb or with friends, having something playing in the background makes the whole experience more comfortable. This waterproof speaker is perfect for any kind of holiday, with a battery that can last up to 15 hours and a sound quality that is more than amazing.
Final Thoughts on Ottawa Airbnbs
As the capital city of Canada, Ottawa packs a punch! It’s full of incredible things to do and see, and is also charmingly underrated. That means that these Airbnbs in Ottawa don’t cost a pretty penny. Stay in comfort and ease, as well as in luxury and style, in our top 15 rentals in Ottawa.
Whether you choose a homestay or a penthouse apartment in Ottawa, either way you’re sure to love the charm and the low prices. If you have stayed at a killer Ottawa Airbnb let us know in the comments below— we’d love to hear from you!
If you are heading off to Ottawa, you might want to consider travel insurance. While you’re likely not skydiving or swimming with sharks in Ottawa, anything can happen. Get covered and stay covered with World Nomads Travel Insurance
And don’t forget to take out Travel Insurance for your trip! I have been using World Nomads for some time now and made a few claims over the years. They’re easy to use, professional and relatively affordable. They may also let you buy or extend a policy once you’ve started your trip and are already abroad which is super handy.
If there’s one insurance company I trust, it’s World Nomads. To find out why I use World Nomads, check out my World Nomads Insurance review.
Getting an estimate from World Nomads is simple – just click the button or image below, fill out the necessary info, and you’re on your way!
“Find out how YOU can support the site. We work hard to put out the best backpacker resources on the web, for free! It’s all about helping out our tribe of awesome backpacker readers [that’s you!]. Please visit the link to find out how you can help keep the site going 🙂
For the sake of transparency, some of the links in our content are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation, buy a book or sort your insurance, we earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. I only link to stuff I’ve actually used and never endorse products or services that are not up to scratch. Thanks for your support.