Belgium’s second city of Antwerp is a big ol’ port and an enclave of cool. Brimming with historic townhouses, quirky cafes and a medieval centre – complete with cobbled lanes, of course – this is a great place to wander about and discover on your own two feet.
But with all that history is there anywhere left for a humble hostel? Being a big city, there might only be hotels here, right? And they must be out of a backpackers budget…?
Nope! Thankfully there are a lot of hostels here! And we’ve sifted through the best hostels in Antwerp so you can easily find the hostel that’s right for you.
We’ve done the hard work for you!
All you have to do now is peep our handy list below.
Quick answer: The Best Hostels in Antwerp
- Best Overall Hostel in Antwerp – Kabas Hostel
- Best Party Hostel in Antwerp – Antwerp Backpackers Hostel
- Best Hostel for Solo Travellers in Antwerp – Boomerang Hostel
- Best Cheap Hostel in Antwerp – Antwerp City Hostel
- Best Hostel for Couples in Antwerp – Antwerp Central Youth Hostel
- Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Antwerp – The Ash
- Best Hostel with a Private Room in Antwerp – Alias Youth Hostel
Best Hostels in Antwerp
Best Overall Hostel in Antwerp – Kabas Hostel
- Free Breakfast
- Free Coffee & Tea
If you’re looking for the best overall hostel in Antwerp, well, here it is. It’s homely, it’s got a bunch of helpful staff working there (who also keep it super clean btw), and they’ve got a huge kitchen – no queues when everyone’s hungry for dinner.
There’s also a garden at this Antwerp backpackers hostel, where you can kick back with a book from the book exchange or just chill the F out. Free breakfast comes courtesy of the eggs that the hostel keeps running around the garden. How cute is that? It’s in a quiet neighbourhood (close to nice parks and stuff) but still in walking distance to the city centre.
Best Party Hostel in Antwerp – Antwerp Backpackers Hostel
- Free Breakfast
- No Curfew
This social comes packed with things to do and we reckon it’s the best party hostel in Antwerp. Here you can meet with other travellers with a few beers around the bonfire – or the BBQ in summer.
They definitely like to have fun here. Think happy hours, craft beer and being smack bang in the middle of a party neighbourhood. It definitely helps this youth hostel in Antwerp earn its credentials for good times. Then cure that hangover with a hearty free breakfast.
Best Hostel for Solo Travellers in Antwerp – Boomerang Hostel
- 24 Hour Security
- Games Room
The best hostel for solo travellers is oozing with a fun atmosphere and comes complete with friendly, welcoming staff, this place serves up the ideal mix of calm atmosphere in the day – then fun events when the evening arrives.
It’s easy to get chatting to other guests over a Belgian beer (or two) in the living room and then you can head out to the city together; the centre’s just 10 mins away. This top hostel in Antwerp is also located in a grand old building with high ceilings, which we think is always pretty cool.
Best Cheap Hostel in Antwerp – Antwerp City Hostel
- Communal Kitchen
Inside a new building on the main square in Antwerp, the location of this place easily makes it the best cheap hostel in Antwerp. It really is a killer location: you won’t find somewhere better than this for getting to all the good stuff Antwerp has to offer. No sirree.
There’s different types of rooms to suit your budget at this recommended hostel in Antwerp, plus there’s a kitchen where you can cook your own meals, there’s an affordable restaurant downstairs, and breakfast is even included in the cheap room rates. We think this one’s a winner!
Best Hostel for Couples in Antwerp – Antwerp Central Youth Hostel
- Free Breakfast
- Luggage Storage
- Bar & Cafe
This youth hostel in Antwerp is actually part of the Flemish branch of the YHA, which means you’re gonna get a level of high standard here. And yep, in this purpose built hostel, you’ll get modern rooms, large windows, plenty of spaces to hang out together and top-notch facilities.
There’s also a cafe here, which is always handy, and the location is pretty central too. This is the best hostel for couples in Antwerp because of its clean, professionally run and well maintained, so you don’t have to worry about all the typical hostel stuff. Almost like a budget hotel, you can enjoy your stay here while keeping costs low.
Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Antwerp – The Ash
- Bicycle Hire
- Common Room
- Games Room
The Ash calls itself a ‘concept hostel’ and its set in the middle of the city. They’ve got en-suite bathrooms, high-speed internet throughout the building, plus a shiny new kitchen. This backpacker’s hostel is a great place to stay in Antwerp.
Thanks to the desks in the private rooms, the communal area with lots of table space and big windows that look out onto the city – as well as its location close to the train station – we think it’s the best hostel for digital nomads in Antwerp. Bit pricey though.
Best Hostel with a Private Room in Antwerp – Alias Youth Hostel
- Cable TV
- Luggage Storage
- 24 Hour Security
The en-suite bedrooms here let loads of light in and have balconies that look onto the historic buildings of the city – yep, this is one of the coolest hostels in Antwerp. Oh, and it’s also set inside a heritage building, too.
Crisp white linen and simple decor really make this the best hostel with a private room in Antwerp. Downstairs there’s a big common room space that’s ace for watching a film or just hanging out, y’know, whatever takes your fancy. Free breakfast is always, always a bonus.
Psst! Heading to a hostel? Don’t forget to pack a padlock! It’s well worth having one so you can secure your locker and protect your stuff!
Best Budget Hotels in Antwerp
But maybe you don’t wanna stay in a dorm. Maybe you’re travelling as a couple and you want some privacy. Or maybe you should don’t like the whole, y’know, hostel thing… which is fine. So we’ve also found a few of the best budget hotels in Antwerp too, so you can find a place just for you.
This budget hotel in Antwerp has a pretty sick location if you need to catch a train: it’s right opposite Antwerp Central Railway Station. And, well, do you like shopping? Good, ’cause this place is right near some great shopping plus plenty of restaurants and bars.
But this hotel also has its own restaurant and bar, if you feel too wrecked to head outside after a long journey. The rooms themselves at Century Hotel Antwerp are simple but modern and come with en-suite bathrooms.
- Shared Kitchen
- Garden Terrace
- Towels Included
You might think that this place is called Treehouse because it’s a treehouse… and really, we wish it was one. But it isn’t. This confusingly named budget hotel in Antwerp is located inside a classically Antwerp townhouse… with a tree (more like a shrub) growing on the outside.
The rooms themselves look a lot like student accommodation, which is fine if you’re unfussy, but they’re secure, quiet and the hotel itself is pretty close to the city centre. The owner is helpful and makes sure you know everything there is to know about the location, then they leave you to your own devices. Good if you’re an independent sorta person.
- Luggage Storage
- Air Con
- Bar & Restaurant
This fun and brightly coloured slightly boutique hotel is housed inside a historic building and offers GREAT value for money, which is something backpackers can totally get behind, right?
It’s everything you’d expect from a budget hotel in Antwerp tbh – from the minibar and daily maid service to the 24-hour front desk and (not free) buffet breakfast, it’s pretty standard but it’s nice, clean and modern, too. A functional/functioning hotel.
What to Pack for your Antwerp Hostel
Here’s some gear our editors take hostelling.
1. Active Roots Water Bottle: Sturdy and durable, the Active Roots water bottle survives the roughest adventures while keeping your drink cold or hot for at least 24 hours. Vacuum-sealed and made from stainless steel, the bottle can fit 25oz, which is plenty to keep you hydrated. Super cool bonus: the bottle isn’t just super useful, it helps to reduce the single-use plastic waste – save the planet by filling up your bottle.
2. Universal Travel Adapter: Not every country has the same electrical plug style, so carry along a universal travel adapter. You’ll want one that covers varying voltage levels, has protection from power surges, a fried laptop is not fun, and enough ports so you don’t have to spend all day individually charging your devices.
3. TRTL Travel Pillow: Get rid of the red eyes and yawning with this TRTL travel pillow. It’s not just a normal neck pillow (I mean, look at it!), the ergonomic design gives your neck and head so much comfortable support that you’ll actually be able to have some decent rest. Super easy to carry and clean, it takes up so little space compared to a traditional travel pillow.
4. Padlock: Unless the thief literally spends hours to figure out the code (he won’t), this three-digit padlock is going to keep your stuff safe. It’s great for keeping the zipper of your backpack secured or your locker properly closed. This basic and very flexible padlock saves you from having your essentials stolen. Definitely a must-have for every backpacker!
5. Noise-Cancelling Earbuds: You’ll have some pretty sorry roommates – it happens from time to time. These noise-canceling earbuds help mitigate the damage. The comfortable and ergonomic design won’t hurt your ears while sleeping no matter how long you keep them in. Increase the quality of your sleep by listening to some relaxing music at night or just enjoy the silence.
6. Active Roots Microfiber Towel: Quick-drying, lightweight, super soft and compact – the Active Roots Microfiber Towel is essential for every backpacker. No need to use the scabby towels your hostel may or may not provide! Use it for drying off, as a yoga towel or even as a picnic blanket – the options don’t stop here. Made of antibacterial material, you don’t have to worry about your towel starting to smell unpleasant either after lots of use.
Why you should travel to Antwerp
So there you have it, the best hostels in Antwerp.
Some of these places are actually set inside historic, heritage buildings, which we think is pretty dang cool.
Imagine rocking up and your Antwerp backpackers hostel… to find a stunning old building in front of you. You’ll definitely feel like you’re travelling in style, and not on a budget!
Plus, we’ve also included a few of the best budget hotels in Antwerp, too. So there really is something for everyone!
But if you can’t decide on a hostel, don’t worry. We feel ya. And we’d say just go for Kabas Hostel – our pick for the best overall hostel in Antwerp.
So book away and get ready to fill up on a boatload of Belgian beer and chocolate!
Travel Safety Tips for Antwerp
And don’t forget Travel Insurance! We’ve put together a roundup of Travel Insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads, our favorite travel insurance provider.
Getting an estimate from World Nomads is simple – just click the button or image below, fill out the necessary info, and you’re on your way!
More Epic Hostels in Belgium and Europe
Hopefully by now you’ve found the perfect hostel for your upcoming trip to Antwerp.
Planning an epic trip all across Belgium or even Europe itself?
Don’t worry – we’ve got you covered!
For more cool hostel guides around Europe, check out:
Over to you
By now I hope our epic guide to the best hostels in Antwerp has helped you choose the perfect hostel for your adventure!
If you think we’ve missed anything or have any further thoughts, hit us up in the comments!
Yay for transparency! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, The Broke Backpacker will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps keep the site going.