Buzzy nightlife, great shopping scene, Cardiff is a fun city surrounded by valleys, castles and beaches, making it an extra fun place to visit in summer when the weather is poppin’ for outdoor activities.
They love rugby here, so if you can catch a game at the Millennium Stadium you should definitely go for it – it draws huge crowds!
But being a city, it’s difficult to know which area to stay in. But not only that, sometimes city hostels can be a bit… ropey. You know, old. Are the ones in Cardiff OK to stay in…?
Don’t worry! The Cardiff hostel scene is as strong as its drinking scene. And we’ve selected the best hostels in Cardiff (and put ’em into handy categories) to help you choose the right one for you.
So what are you waiting for? Have a look at the top hostels in Cardiff!
Quick answer: The Best Hostels in Cardiff
- Best Overall Hostel in Cardiff – The River House Cardiff
- Best Party Hostel in Cardiff – NosDa Hostel & Bar
- Best Hostel for Solo Travellers in Cardiff – Mrs Potts
- Best Cheap Hostel in Cardiff – Nomad
- Best Hostel for Couples in Cardiff – Bunkhouse
- Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Cardiff – YHL Cardiff Central
Best Hostels in Cardiff
Backpacking the UK and looking for a Cardiff hostel? Then read on!
Best Overall Hostel in Cardiff – The River House Cardiff
- Free Breakfast
- Free Walking Tour
This is quite a small hostel, but one cute thing about this place is that it’s run by a brother-sister team, which is fun. They wanted to create somewhere that feels like home, and they thought one way to do that was to serve up an absolutely huge free breakfast every morning! Suits us just fine.
The owners work super hard to make this the best place in Cardiff to stay – that means everything from catering for everyone’s dietary requirements to keeping the place literally spotless. Plus there’s a hostel cat to have a cuddle with if you like cats.
Best Party Hostel in Cardiff – NosDa Hostel & Bar
- Cafe & Bar
- Art Gallery (?!)
- Female-only Dorms
Clean, comfortable, but also a fun place to get a lil’ bit turned, this top hostel in Cardiff is the place for people who like listening to music and having a drink. I mean, who doesn’t like that?
It’s the best party hostel in Cardiff because it has it’s own bar slash live music venue, which is pretty dang cool. Here you can listen to local bands, eat some Welsh food, have a loada drinks, and then stumble to your decent dorm. They even put on a beer festival!
Best Hostel for Solo Travellers in Cardiff – Mrs Potts in Cardiff
- 24 Hour Security
- Laundry Facilities
- Wheelchair Friendly
It sounds like some kinda children’s book – and actually, that makes sense. Mrs Potts is a super nice place to stay, it’s warm, welcoming, got colourful polka dot curtains and cosy beds. Staying at this best hostel for solo travellers is a little bit like staying in a children’s book.
This recommended hostel in Cardiff is set in a building actually designed by the same guy who designed the Natural History Museum in London. How about that? The staff here are super nice and are more than happy to help you with recommendations.
Best Cheap Hostel in Cardiff – Nomad
- Free Breakfast
- Free Coffee (And Tea)
If you’re looking to stay in Cardiff on a budget, this Cardiff backpackers hostel is the place. The value for money game here is on point: free tea and coffee all day, free breakfast, and all set in a comfy B&B style building. We love it.
Besides being the best cheap hostel in Cardiff (great if you’re backpacking, obviously), it’s also a fun place to hang out. There’s a ping pong table for all you pros and non-pros out there, plus there’s a bar. And that’s always welcome.
Best Hostel for Couples in Cardiff – Bunkhouse
- Bar & Cafe
- Free Breakfast
- Luggage Storage
Bunk up together with your partner at this best hostel for couples in Cardiff. Yep, it’s nice. Set in a Victorian building it’s got a load of period features (high ceilings and all that) mixed with stylish, modern decor for one of the coolest hostels in Cardiff.
The cafe/bar area is a pretty chill place to hang out in with your partner, but if you wanna hit the city for some romantic meals or some things to do in the daytime to put on Facebook (or however you share your life), then you’ll love the central location of this place.
If you’re traveling with your partner and would prefer somewhere with a bit more privacy, check out these epic bed and breakfasts in Cardiff!
Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Cardiff – YHA Cardiff Central
- Wheelchair Friendly
- Self Catering Facilities
- Bar & Restaurant
Wowww, the lounge area of this place is NICE! It’s definitely one of the best aspects of this cool hostel in Cardiff – and also a super chill place to get some work done, which is why we’ve also chosen it as the best hostel for digital nomads in Cardiff.
And when you’ve had enough typing and scrolling? Just head to the hostel bar. Great for digital nomads who want to let off a bit of steam, this Cardiff backpackers hostel is a decent place for those who wanna meet people and party, too.
Psst! Heading to a hostel? Don’t forget to pack a padlock! It’s well worth having one so you can secure your locker and protect your stuff!
Best Budget Hostels In Cardiff
But if the thought of a dorm room at a backpackers hostel in Cardiff just isn’t doing it for you, then don’t sweat it. We understand. And we got you! There are plenty of decent budget hotels to choose from in the capital of Wales, so we’ve done the legwork for you and found a few of the best cheap hostels in Cardiff for you to browse.
- Free Breakfast
- Luggage Storage
- En-suite Bathrooms
It’s Ibis! Everyone knows Ibis. It’s a solid option for a budget hotel anywhere in the world, so that means it’s also a pretty decent option when you want a budget hotel in Cardiff. Great value for money, seriously.
There are a few combos of rooms that you can choose to suit your backpacking ways and keep to a budget even MORE. For instance, if you’re with a couple o’ mates, get a triple room and split the cost! Easy! And guess the F what? There’s a free breakfast too.
- Room Service
- 24 Hour Reception
This budget hotel in Cardiff is in a Victorian building right next to Cardiff Castle. What?! We know right? Pretty cool. And of COURSE that means this place is gonna be pretty dang elegant – and it is!
Elegance means (for us) a decent restaurant and bar with all the trimmings of a period property. It’s not exactly the lowest end of the budget, but you can treat yourself here without splurging, as they say. Oh, and, hang on – did someone say ‘room service’?
- Live Music
- Baggage Storage
Cake game strong at this budget Cardiff hostel. (Yes they serve good looking cakes). And it’s actually pretty cheap for the most basic option. So you can stay here without feeling guilty that your backpacking budget is being frittered away on stylish stays. No sweat.
Plus you can actually save money here, sorta, ’cause it’s so central – in walking distance to a load of sights, bars, restaurants. All that city stuff. And if you thought this place was full budget, think again! The bar here has live jazz in the evenings. What?!
- Laundry Service
- Daily Housekeeping
- Air Con
Sleeperz (with that all-important Z) is, like, a modern budget hotel. You can get yourself a basic little (very little) room with a bunk bed and en-suite bathroom for not much coin and that’s pretty good.
This budget hotel in Cardiff is right near the train station, which is a plus if you wanna get around – or in, or out, of Cardiff. Plus there’s a load of stuff within walking distance, it’s a great location to be honest.
What to Pack for your Cardiff Hostel
Here’s some gear our editors take hostelling.
1. Universal Travel Adapter: This universal travel adapter charges your devices in (pretty much) every country – definitely a lifesaver when travelling around the world. The plug also regulates the power output depending on which device you’re charging. No more fried hair dryers or electric razors!
2. Active Roots Microfiber Towel: Having your own towel is a must when traveling since most hostels don’t provide them. Plus as a backpacker, use of a towel will extend further than just showers, it’s a minimalist yoga towel and a great beach blanket/towel combo! The Active Roots Microfiber Towel is really the best solution for backpacking.
3. Noise-Cancelling Earbuds: You’ll have some pretty sorry roommates – it happens from time to time. These noise-canceling earbuds help mitigate the damage. The comfortable and ergonomic design won’t hurt your ears while sleeping no matter how long you keep them in. Increase the quality of your sleep by listening to some relaxing music at night or just enjoy the silence.
4. Active Roots Water Bottle: Hostels are increasingly meeting backpackers’ demands for potable (drinkable) water. Now is better than ever to start traveling with a reusable water bottle! Aside from cutting down single-use plastic, The Active Roots stainless steel water bottle will also keep your favorite beverage hot or cold all day long and it’s sized perfectly to fit an entire bottle of wine. ‘Nuff said.
5. Sea to Summit Travel Soap: When dirtbagging around the globe, hygiene sometimes comes a bit short. This Sea to Summit Travel Soap can wash your hands, clothes or anything else, wherever you are. The soap strips are dry and super thin but dissolve in contact with water, so you can even take it easily through security in a carry-on.
6. Playing Cards: These waterproof cards are essential kit for every backpacker. Play by the pool, beach or at your hostel after a long day with travel buds, without your cards breaking or getting soaked. And once you pull out those cards, the chance that you’ll be the hero of the night is pretty high (no promises though).
Why you should travel to Cardiff
Those were the best hostels in Cardiff. And some of them are really nice!
It’s surprising how many top hostels there are in the Welsh capital, from traditional B&B style places, to more cool hostels in Cardiff, there’s quite a bit to choose from!
And if you’re allergic to dorm rooms, and a budget hostel in Cardiff just isn’t your thing, we also included a few of the best budget hotels in Cardiff so that there really is something for everyone on our handy list.
Still can’t decide on a place to stay? No worries. Our top choice for bthe est overall hostel in Cardiff, The River House, is a solid option!
Travel Safety Tips for Cardiff
Don’t forget to sort your travel insurance! We’ve put together a roundup of the best travel insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads now, our favourite travel insurance provider.
More Epic Hostels in UK and Europe
Hopefully by now you’ve found the perfect hostel for your upcoming trip to Cardiff.
Planning an epic trip all across UK or even Europe itself?
Don’t worry – we’ve got you covered!
For more cool hostel guides around Europe, check out:
Over to you
By now I hope our epic guide to the best hostels in Cardiff has helped you choose the perfect hostel for your adventure!
If you think we’ve missed anything or have any further thoughts, hit us up in the comments!
Yay for transparency! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, The Broke Backpacker will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps keep the site going.