What can you say about the literally stunning Isle of Skye? This is the largest island of Scotland’s west coast Inner Hebrides and it boasts incredible cinematic landscapes that wouldn’t look outta place in Middle Earth.
It’s got waterfalls, jagged coastlines, and dramatic skies – plus it offers the chance to see some of the most amazing sights in nature. We’re talking whales here. It’s a hiker’s and nature lover’s dream!
But… it’s remote, right? So… are there even ANY hostels here that you can stay in if you’re backpacking? Maybe you’ll have to rough it under the stars…
Don’t worry! You’ll have a roof over your head. There are hostels in Isle of Skye. And we’ve made life even easier for you by sorting through the best hostels in Isle of Skye so you can find one to suit you.
Peep our handy list of the top Isle of Skye backpackers hostels below!
Quick answer: The Best Hostels in Isle of Skye
- Best Overall Hostel in Isle of Skye – Skywalker Hostel
- Best Party Hostel in Isle of Skye – Saucy Mary’s Lodge
- Best Hostel for Solo Travellers in Isle of Skye – Skye Basecamp
- Best Cheap Hostel in Isle of Skye – Bradford Backpackers
- Best Hostel for Couples in Isle of Skye – Skye Backpackers
- Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Isle of Skye – Flora Macdonalds Youth Hostel
- Best Hostel with a Private Room in Isle of Skye – Portree Youth Hostel
Best Hostels in Isle of Skye
Deciding where to stay in Inverness is a doddle with these hand picked hostels.
Best Overall Hostel in Isle of Sky – Skyewalker Hostel
- Common Room
- Outdoor Pod (For Stargazing)
- Communal Kitchen
Oh, we do love a punny name, and this is probably the top puns we’ve seen in a hostel name. And, as a bonus to this best overall hostel in Isle of Skye (it’s award-winning too), there is actually a fun Star Wars theme. You can stay in Jedi huts here!
Other than the Star Wars theme (also featuring decal of C3PO – and others – on the walls), there’s also a beach nearby where you can spot whales and basking sharks. For food and drink, there’s a hotel close by with a restaurant and bar. Oh and there’s also a cool outdoor pod where the view of the night sky is literally STUNNING. This is definitely one of the best hostels in Scotland.
Best Party Hostel in Isle of Skye – Saucy Mary’s Lodge
- Cable TV
Of course, this place is gonna be the best party hostel in Isle of Skye – it’s run by someone called SAUCY MARY. Or maybe it’s not, but the name’s got definite party hostel vibes. We’re feelin’ it.
Though you can’t expect a mad party hostel on a remote Scottish island, the bar in this top hostel in Isle of Skye is actually where it’s at. The hostel itself is a warm, clean place to stay, close to the waterfront and near the ferry. There’s no curfew, so you just get back in with a keypad in case you’ve gone on a drunken wander to stargaze or something.
Best Hostel for Solo Travellers in Isle of Skye – Skye Basecamp
- Pool Table
- Communal Kitchen
- 24 Hour Security
There’s a warm social atmosphere at this youth hostel in Isle of Skye, which makes it easy to get chatting to fellow backpackers and travelling peeps. It’s located inside an actual house, the kitchen (as in any good home) is the place to be when it comes to mingling.
One of the best things about this place is that it’s actually run by Skye Guides, meaning it’s always got local, knowledgeable guides on hand to show you around. I mean, that alone (besides the ace vibe) makes it the best hostel for solo travellers in Isle of Skye, surely.
Best Cheap Hostel in Isle of Skye – Bradford Backpackers
- Board Games
- Free Parking
- Tea & Coffee Facilities
This top hostel in Isle of Skye is run by a kind and friendly guy who creates a really welcoming environment, which is always a plus (especially on a remote island like this). It’s clean, comfortable and features an indoor common room, garden AND a fully equipped kitchen.
It’s the BEST cheap hostel in Isle of Skye, so the low prices here don’t mean that you skimp on location. Nope. It’s near to restaurants, bars and transport, so you can get around the island easily. Plus there’s laundry facilities here so you can wash your stuff after a hike.
Psst! Heading to a hostel? Don’t forget to pack a padlock! It’s well worth having one so you can secure your locker and protect your stuff!
Best Hostel for Couples in Isle of Skye – Skye Backpackers
- Free Parking
- Laundry Facilities
- Games Room
At this Isle of Skye backpackers hostel, you’ll find a clean, friendly place to stay, and we reckon that makes it a neat place for couples to stay. It’s also close to the Skye bridge, so it’s good for getting onto and off of the island.
The private rooms are modern, quiet and comfy and the staff are uber helpful. Plus there are tours you can go on so you don’t have to make the treks to the top locations yourself without any knowledge. Yep, easily the best hostel for couples in Isle of Skye.
Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Isle of Skye – Flora Macdonald Youth Hostel
- Laundry Facilities
- Book Exchange
- Communal Kitchen
Set on the Sleat Peninsula, this is honestly a super sick place to get some work done in some seriously stunning surroundings. That alone easily makes it the best hostel for digital nomads in Isle of Skye. What remote worker wouldn’t love to answer emails to ultra dramatic views?
This recommended hostel in Isle of Skye offers up budget, private rooms, so you don’t have to fork out top coin for a private space of your own. Of course, there’s lots of room here to get your work done – if you can manage it without being hypnotised constantly by the landscape here.
Best Hostel with a Private Room in Isle of Skye – Portree Youth Hostel
- Sick Views
- Self Catering Facilities
- No Curfew
Wanna get the best outta staying in the epic Isle of Skye? Staying in Portree will definitely help with that. This top hostel in Isle of Skye is right in the main square, giving you a lil’ bit of choice when it comes to not being located directly in nature.
But this is the best hostel with a private room in Isle of Skye ’cause, well, the private rooms here are pretty much hotel quality and we’re totally down with that. Other than that, it’s clean here, got a decent atmosphere, friendly staff – oh, and amazing views of the dramatic harbour and hills from the common room window.
What to Pack for your Isle of Skye Hostel
Pants, socks, underwear… Here are some other items you might not have thought to pack.
1. Active Roots Microfiber Towel: Having your own towel is a must when traveling since most hostels don’t provide them. Plus as a backpacker, use of a towel will extend further than just showers, it’s a minimalist yoga towel and a great beach blanket/towel combo! The Active Roots Microfiber Towel is really the best solution for backpacking.
2. Noise-Cancelling Earbuds: Noise in hostels… is a thing. Your bunkmate coming in late, motorbike traffic just below your window, construction on the property or the round-the-clock rooster that seems to follow you to every f*cking hostel. Having a way to escape the noise while you sleep makes for a well-rested morning. Noise canceling ear-buds are a great solution, just put on your favorite artist or load a quick Netflix episode to fall asleep too.
3. Sea to Summit Travel Soap: Soap can be very useful on long travels, but it’s hard to carry around. It might get taken off you at the airport or leak in your backpack. This Sea to Summit Travel Soap is the perfect solution for every backpacker with a thought for hygiene. The dry soap is super handy, and it definitely won’t leak (there’s nothing to leak). One box contains 50 leaves of soap, making sure that you’ll be clean, even on longer adventures.
4. Active Roots Water Bottle: Hostels are increasingly meeting backpackers’ demands for potable (drinkable) water. Now is better than ever to start traveling with a reusable water bottle! Aside from cutting down single-use plastic, The Active Roots stainless steel water bottle will also keep your favorite beverage hot or cold all day long and it’s sized perfectly to fit an entire bottle of wine. ‘Nuff said.
5. Universal Travel Adapter: Not every country has the same electrical plug style, so carry along a universal travel adapter. You’ll want one that covers varying voltage levels, has protection from power surges, a fried laptop is not fun, and enough ports so you don’t have to spend all day individually charging your devices.
6. Headphone Splitter: You’re the one with the Netflix account and your friend wants to watch too? But you don’t want to share headphones? And you’re good people who wouldn’t disturb your dorm mates? That’s not going to be a problem with this Headphone Splitter! Plug in two pairs of headphones at the same time, so both of you are able to listen to music or watch shows simultaneously. It comes in handy and won’t weigh you down.
Why you should travel to Isle of Skye
And that is the end of our list of the best hostels in Isle of Skye.
There’s actually a surprising amount of choice on offer – it’s not just one little hostel located in some far-flung area!
Nope, these top hostels in Isle of Skye are actually pretty nice.
And they range from retreats in some of the island’s most beautiful spots to budget hostels set conveniently in civilisation. So you’ll be able to get around – and find some places to eat (and drink!) too.
After all that, if you still can’t decide on where to stay in Isle of Skye, don’t worry about it.
We’d just say go for our pick for the best overall hostel in Isle of Skye, Skyewalker Hostel – complete with Star Wars theme.
Now all you gotta do is… prepare yourself for the breathtaking beauty of this island!
Travel Safety Tips for Isle of Skye
And don’t forget Travel Insurance! We’ve put together a roundup of Travel Insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads, our favorite travel insurance provider.
More Epic Hostels in Scotland and Europe
Hopefully by now you’ve found the perfect hostel for your upcoming trip to Isle of Skye.
Planning an epic trip all across Scotland or even Europe itself?
Don’t worry – we’ve got you covered!
For more cool hostel guides around Europe, check out:
Over to you
By now I hope our epic guide to the best hostels in Isle of Skye has helped you choose the perfect hostel for your adventure!
If you think we’ve missed anything or have any further thoughts, hit us up in the comments!
“Find out how YOU can support the site. We work hard to put out the best backpacker resources on the web, for free! It’s all about helping out our tribe of awesome backpacker readers [that’s you!]. Please visit the link to find out how you can help keep the site going 🙂
For the sake of transparency, some of the links in our content are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation, buy a book or sort your insurance, we earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. I only link to stuff I’ve actually used and never endorse products or services that are not up to scratch. Thanks for your support.