A short flight away from the continental United States will take you to the tropical paradise of Puerto Rico. Located in the heart of the Caribbean, the capital, San Juan, has that perfect mix of urban comfort and seaside bliss. With beaches that are the envy of the entire world, you’ll want to spend most of your time soaking up the sun and hitting the waves.
But the fun doesn’t stop there. Once the sun sets, the party really gets started; San Juan is also home to some of the most lively clubs and bars in the region!
It doesn’t matter if you’re looking for a lazy beach getaway or a party to remember for a lifetime – San Juan is a place where you can embark on a different adventure every day!
San Juan is no stranger to tourists, so don’t be surprised when you find dozens of great backpacker’s hostels. Your biggest challenge will be finding the perfect place that will set the tone for your holiday.
There’s no need to spend hours researching where to stay in San Juan. We’ve brought all the best hostels in San Juan to one place so you can book with ease! From party hostels to laid back terraces, you’re sure to find the perfect place to call home!
Quick Answer: The Best Hostels in San Juan
- Overall Best Hostel in San Juan – Mango Mansion
- Best Hostel for Solo Travelers in San Juan – Casa Santurce
- Best Cheap Hostel in San Juan – Hostel H1 Miramar
- Best Hostel for Couples in San Juan – Fortaleza Guest House
- Best Party Hostel in San Juan – Santurcia Hostels
- Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in San Juan – Nomada Urban Beach Hostel
The Best Hostels in San Juan
Since it’s so close to the United States, lots of backpackers that travelled through America consider this beautiful island as a little getaway paradise. We know you’re already packing your swimsuit and flip-flops, but before you hop on the plane, you need to choose where to stay in San Juan.
No two hostels on our list are exactly the same, so keep your eyes open for the one that’s best for you! As a rough guideline, always look for facilities, location and safety. Puerto Rico is pretty safe, but having a place to store your luggage securely is a must!
Best Overall Hostel in San Juan – Mango Mansion
- Breakfast Included
- Bike Hire
Most travelers visit Puerto Rico to chill on the beach. So, while staying in San Juan, make sure you choose a hostel nice and close to the water. Mango Mansion is a boutique hostel right on Condado Beach! Putting you on the doorsteps of all the best clubs and restaurants, as well as the ocean, guests couldn’t ask for a better location!
This award-winning hostel goes above and beyond to provide travelers with the best experience in San Juan. With games, spacious lounges, and delicious free breakfast served every morning, Mango Mansion is the kind of hostel you end up staying at for weeks!
Best Hostel for Solo Travelers in San Juan – Casa Santurce
- Pub Crawls
- Outdoor Terrace
One of the things that makes any backpacking trip great is the friends you meet while hanging out at the hostel. If you’re a solo traveler in San Juan, you’ll want to base yourself out of Casa Santurce. This youth hostel was specifically made to have you and the other guests kicking back sharing travel stories. With its spacious lounge and sunny terrace, you’ll have ample room to spread out and relax.
The free pub crawls will help you get close to the other travelers and immerse you in authentic Puerto Rican culture. What will really make you fall in love with Casa Santurce is its location in an authentic Puerto Rican barrio, a neighborhood teeming with bars, and the best food you can find on the island!
Best Cheap Hostel in San Juan – Hostel H1 Miramar
- Shared Kitchen
Puerto Rico is often just as expensive as the United States. As a budget traveler, you’re probably trying to save money to stay on the road as long as possible. Lucky for you, while staying in San Juan, Hostel H1 Miramar will hook you up with the cheapest beds in town! Not only will you get a deal on a dorm bed, but Hostel H1 Miramar is right nearby some of the most popular beaches, such as Condado and Escambrón Beach!
Once you’ve had your fill of hanging out by the water, make use of the bus stop a short walk away from the hostel. You’ll be able to get from the sea to downtown San Juan in a matter of minutes! After a long day of exploring, end each day with a bite and a drink at Hostel H1 Miramar’s cafe and bar.
Best Hostel for Couples in San Juan – Fortaleza Guest House
- Outdoor Terrace
- Shared Kitchen
Are you a couple looking to take a break from your average backpacker’s hostel? Although Fortaleza Guest House has cheap dorm rooms available, you and your special someone might want to mix things up by cozying up in your very own private room.
This guesthouse has the prices of a youth hostel, but all the charm and comfort of a homestay. Putting you in an old-style Puerto Rican house, you’ll be staying in a part of local history. With all the best sights of the old city and tons of restaurants located around the guesthouse, you couldn’t ask for a better location in the heart of San Juan!
The GRAYL GEOPRESS water bottle is the ONLY all-in-one filter water bottle setup you'll need. Whether you need to purify the water from a hostel sink in Kathmandu or a stream trickle in the Andes, the Geopress has got you covered. Check out our full review here for more convincing.
Best Party Hostel in San Juan – Santurcia Hostels
- Rooftop Terrace
We know some of you are traveling to Puerto Rico in search of a party! While in San Juan, Santurcia Hostel will give you all the best of the local bar scene just a few steps away from your dorm bed. But don’t expect your average party hostel experience at this stay. With its bohemian boutique style, guests will be delighted to have a dash of style while they’re dancing and drinking the night away!
Located in the heart of San Juan, right by the old city and the Museo de Arte de Puerto Rico, you’ll have all the best sights of the city just outside your door. Top it off with an onsite cafe cooking up delicious meals every day, and Santurcia Hostel secures its spot as one of the top backpacker’s hostels in San Juan!
Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in San Juan – Nomada Urban Beach Hostel
- Outdoor Terrace
- Shared Kitchen
If you’re a digital nomad, you can’t just book yourself into any old backpackers hostel. Not only do you need a stable internet connection, but you also need a quiet environment where you can get your work done. Nomada Urban Beach Hostel will have you working in style in its spacious lounge or on the stylish rooftop deck.
With ample room to spread out, you can work in peace. When you finally find time to close your laptop, Nomada Urban Beach Hostel has all the best sights of San Juan right on the doorstep. Ocean Park Beach and Parque Barbosa are just a short walk away, making this hostel the perfect place to base yourself out of in San Juan!
More of the Best Hostels in San Juan
- Outdoor Terrace
Villa Eshta may be pulling up the rear of our list, but they still pack quite a punch with their one of a kind atmosphere! This budget hostel has some of the cheapest beds you can find in San Juan and is sure to be the life of the party! You can go out and drink at one of the nearby clubs or bars, but you’ll quickly find that the time of your life can be had at Villa Eshta’s own onsite bar.
Complete with an onsite cafe cooking up the best of Middle Eastern and Caribbean cuisine, you’re sure to be sending your tastebuds to heaven! With its laid back vibe and chill outdoor terrace, Villa Eshta has made a name for itself as one of the most social hostels in San Juan!
What to Pack for Your San Juan Hostel
We don’t often travel without these essentials.
1. Power Bank: Showing up to a new city, after a 14-hour bus ride, with a dead phone and no directions to your hostel is a half-awake, messy nightmare. Putting a good power bank in your pack is the best and easiest way to keep your important electronics charged up for those long travel and sightseeing days.
2. Active Roots Microfiber Towel: Quick-drying, lightweight, super soft and compact – the Active Roots Microfiber Towel is essential for every backpacker. No need to use the scabby towels your hostel may or may not provide! Use it for drying off, as a yoga towel or even as a picnic blanket – the options don’t stop here. Made of antibacterial material, you don’t have to worry about your towel starting to smell unpleasant either after lots of use.
3. Universal Travel Adapter: Not every country has the same electrical plug style, so carry along a universal travel adapter. You’ll want one that covers varying voltage levels, has protection from power surges, a fried laptop is not fun, and enough ports so you don’t have to spend all day individually charging your devices.
4. TRTL Travel Pillow: Get rid of the red eyes and yawning with this TRTL travel pillow. It’s not just a normal neck pillow (I mean, look at it!), the ergonomic design gives your neck and head so much comfortable support that you’ll actually be able to have some decent rest. Super easy to carry and clean, it takes up so little space compared to a traditional travel pillow.
5. Active Roots Water Bottle: Sturdy and durable, the Active Roots water bottle survives the roughest adventures while keeping your drink cold or hot for at least 24 hours. Vacuum-sealed and made from stainless steel, the bottle can fit 25oz, which is plenty to keep you hydrated. Super cool bonus: the bottle isn’t just super useful, it helps to reduce the single-use plastic waste – save the planet by filling up your bottle.
6. Noise-Cancelling Earbuds: These simple earbuds will help you out. Keeping out most of the surrounding sounds, you can either choose to listen to some relaxing music or no sound at all while falling asleep. This can be a life-saver in some unexpected party hostels. Make sure you’re well-rested for the next adventures!
Why You Should Travel to San Juan
Are you ready to stroll down the old city wall and lax out on Ocean Park Beach? From the old city to the coast, tourists will find limitless ways to explore the beauty of San Juan. With days spent exploring the forts and nights dining under the stars, this is one holiday you won’t easily forget!
Still a bit unsure of where to stay in San Juan? Let us help you choose between some of the great hostels San Juan has to offer. If you’re a backpacker, you’ll want to book yourself into Mango Mansion, our pick for the best hostel in San Juan.
Over to you
We hope you’re ready to work on your tan, because the beaches of San Juan await you! With so much to do, you’ll need more than just a few days to enjoy everything this diverse city has to offer. Other than hitting the beaches, the history captured in the museums, old city, and the forts will have you out exploring for weeks. And once you discover Puerto Rican cuisine, you’ll always be thinking about where to grab your next meal. With its stunning beaches and diverse culture, one can’t help but fall in love with San Juan!
Will you be spending most of your trip soaking up some rays or out at the club in San Juan? Depending on how you like to travel, you’ll want to stay at a different kind of backpacker’s hostel. With our list of the top hostels in San Juan, finding the perfect stay has never been easier.
Have you ever traveled to San Juan? We want to hear about your trip! Let us know in the comments below if there are any great hostels we may have missed!
And don’t forget to sort your travel insurance before heading to San Juan! We’ve put together a roundup of the best travel insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads, our favorite travel insurance provider.
Getting an estimate from World Nomads is simple – just click the button or image below, fill out the necessary info, and you’re on your way!
Do you own or run a kick ass hostel? Want to be featured in this list? Get in touch at [email protected]
Yay for transparency! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, The Broke Backpacker will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps keep the site going.
Need More Inspiration?