Dresden is world-renowned as one of the most fascinating cities in Germany, both in recent and ancient history. On the banks of the delightful River Elbe, there’s so much this city has to offer to those who love nature, as well as those who enjoy the bustle of one of Germany’s largest cities.
There’s such a range of activities to take part in here, whether it’s strolling in beautiful parks, learning all you can in fascinating museums or going to see some fantastic shows in one of the city’s many theatres and opera houses.
With so much on offer, it can be quite overwhelming when trying to decide where to stay in Dresden.
But with our easy, step-by-step guide, you’ll find the best areas to stay in Dresden to meet your interests and budget!
Without further ado, here’s our guide to where to stay in Dresden, Germany.
Quick Tips: Where to Stay in Dresden
- Where to stay in Dresden for your first time: Altstadt
- Where to stay in Dresden on a budget: Albertstadt
- Where to stay in Dresden for nightlife: Neustadt
- Coolest place to stay in Dresden: Friedrichstadt
- Where to stay in Dresden for families: Strehlen
- The Zwinger is a palace in the centre of Dresden, which was once the hotspot of the Dresden Court!
- What was once the residence of kings is now an incredible museum and art gallery!
- Right at the heart of Altstadt is Dresden Frauenkirche – an ornate Lutheran Church.
Looking for a specific stay? These are our highest recommendations for places to stay in Dresden…
Best Hostel in Dresden: Guesthouse Mezcalero
Just a few minutes from the historical centre of Dresden, you’ll be right at the heart of this amazing city.
There’s a unique décor and atmosphere at this hostel, with an Aztec style you’ll find nowhere else in the city! The reception is open 24 hours and bed linen and towels are included in your price, so your every need is catered for!
Need to spend some quality time with fellow backpackers? Get your fix by staying at one of these amazing hostels in Dresden!View on HostelWorld
Best Airbnb in Dresden: Design Wohnung Zentrum
This stylish and contemporary space is perfect for your stay in Dresden. Sleeping four people in two bedrooms and with clean and bright living space, this will be the perfect base for your explorations of Dresden.
With a coffee machine to keep you going and linen provided, there’s nothing for you to worry about!View on Airbnb
Best Hotel in Dresden: Relais & Chateaux Hotel Bulow Palais
Luxury, history and decadence, this hotel has it all. Whether you want to enjoy a drink on the balcony, a stroll around the lovely gardens or a calming relax in the sauna, this is the hotel for you.
The rooms are rustic, large and spacious, with the perfect balance of the original period features of this building, and the modern conveniences that make your stay as stress-free as possible!View on Booking.com
Quick Summary: The Best Places to Stay in Dresden
|Check Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top HostelCheck Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top HostelCheck Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top HostelCheck Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
With so much history, culture and scenery to enjoy, Bagan is one of the best places to visit in Myanmar!
Dresden’s Top 5 Neighborhoods to Stay In
Dresden is the capital city of the German state of Saxony, a region fraught with a fascinating history and incredible countryside to enjoy. You’ll find yourself wandering between centuries as you go from one street to another in this city! It lies in the Elbe Valley, which is a beautiful area of countryside and rolling hills!
It was always a royal residence, but now it is home for over 500,000 people who are spread across a variety of interesting and eclectic neighborhoods. Dresden is perhaps most famous for the fact that large parts of the city were destroyed in the America and British Bombing of the city during the Second World War. But don’t worry, much of the city’s historic centre is still intact after years of reconstructive work, and the more modern parts of the city have much to offer!
The best place to stay in Dresden to truly understand the rich past of the city and wider region is definitely Altstadt. Here, you’ll be right at the centre of the city’s historic heart, with museums, art galleries and the banks of the River Elbe all ready to entice you in! Areas like Albertstadt and Strehlen are the best places to see the wider area, with parks and gardens to get some fresh air!
Neustadt is the place to be if you’re a night owl and Friedrichstadt is the most up-and-coming area in Dresden. There’s so much culture to take in here, so if you’re looking for a great theatre show, or a musical concert, look no further than here!
Dresden is also really well connected, so you don’t have to fret about getting here! Dresden Airport is located on the north-western outskirts, but is still really easy to get to, with a motorway access route. Dresden’s main public transport is trams, because the geology of the area doesn’t allow for an underground! Outer areas of the wider Dresden area are connected by the Dresden Funicular Railway, and the roads around the city are also very good quality!
The real beauty and history of Dresden can be captured in its prime by staying in the heart of the city in Altstadt. You can hear the story of this magnificent city through all kinds of mediums, through its museums, its art galleries, or its architecture.
Whether you enjoy walking around the city or getting about by tram, you’ll be right at the heart of this bustling city if you stay in Altstadt!
Things to See and Do in Altstadt
– Where can you go to learn everything about Dresden colourful history? Dresden City Museum! It will tell you the 800-year story of the city and contains some amazing art and collections of historic artefacts and documents.
– What was once the residence of kings is now an incredible museum and art gallery! Take a step back in time by visiting Dresden Castle, where you’ll find the famous Green Vault, the Dresden Armory and the Dresden State Art Collections!
– The Zwinger is a palace in the centre of Dresden, which was once the hotspot of the Dresden Court! Now, it’s an art gallery and museum!
– Take a stroll along Bruhl’s Terrace – nicknamed “the Balcony of Europe” it is the best place to see both amazing architecture and brilliant views of the Elbe. Perfect for a sunny day’s stroll!
– Right at the heart of Altstadt is Dresden Frauenkirche – an ornate Lutheran Church. If you’re lucky, you might hear the famous boys’ choir, Dresdner Kreuzchor!
– For a more modern architectural experience, take a look at the New Synagogue – completed in 2001 after the original was destroyed during Kristallnacht!
Best Airbnb in Altstadt: Residence at the Frauenkirche
This stylish apartment is the perfect place for you to be able to be close to the action at the heart of the city whilst also being able to relax.
Catering for 6 guests, this apartment enjoys a superhost, so everything you need will be taken care of. As it says in the name, it’s right next to the Frauenkirche, so you can see a beautiful historic building from your bedroom window!View on Airbnb
Best Budget Hotel in Altstadt: CityHerberge Dresden
Right in the heart of Altstadt is this completely affordable option to keep your pockets full, but not affecting your experiences whatsoever! It’s simple, but has everything you would need!
With a complimentary breakfast, a 24 hour desk and a terrace on which you can enjoy an evening drink, this hotel is the perfect budget option!View on Booking.com
Best Hotel in Altstadt: Hyperion Dresden
This fantastic hotel is right in the heart of Altstadt. There’s so much on offer here, a gym, a brilliant restaurant and a balcony for you to look over this stunning city.
Part of the trusted Wyndham Group, you’ll have the gift of familiarity with this hotel, and all the amenities you could hope for to make your stay as luxurious as possible!View on Booking.com
A little north east of the city centre is this delightful area of Dresden. Here, you’ll find some of the most fascinating museums and ancient landmarks. There’s also the best opportunity here to get out into the stunning surroundings of Saxony.
If you want to come to Dresden without having to break the bank, the best place to stay is no doubt Albertstadt!
Things to See and Do in Albertstadt
– Take a trip up northward to Hellerau, the famous garden city of Dresden- the first of its kind in Germany! It contains all sorts of history, but also some culture too! The Festspielhaus has had a tumultuous history, serving as a barracks and as a gymnastics training centre. Now it’s a great place to see some dance!
– Take a trip slightly downriver to the Pillnitz Castle. It’s right on the River Elbe and is a gorgeously restored Baroque palace – a former residence of the king of Saxony!
– Dresden is world-renowned partially because of its war history, and the best place to learn all about this is the Bundeswehr Military History Museum! There’s art, uniforms, firearms and military technology for you to get a look at!
– For a bit of fun, head over to Eiswelt Dresden- one of the world’s largest indoor ice and snow exhibitions!
– Hellerberge is a gorgeous place to go for a hike and take in some of the beautiful scenery surrounding Dresden!
Best Hostel in Albertstadt: Lollis Homestay
With this hostel comes so many freebies! You’ll receive the free use of a bicycle, free Wi-Fi, a free city map and free tea and coffee available all day! Each day, this hostel has something else to offer you, whether it’s Hangover Yoga or a free dinner on Sundays!
With such excellent service, you’ll be well looked after here and you’ll be able to relax when you return from your exploring!View on HostelWorld
Best Airbnb in Albertstadt: Villa Golding Flat 1 Bentz with balcony
This is an idyllic location in a beautiful period house where you can share the gorgeous ground with other people and make lots of new friends! With a balcony to look over the stunning surroundings, you’re just a five-minute walk away from castles, a forest and some local shops.
The space itself is spacious and relaxed, with plenty of opportunities for you to sit back and relax!View on Airbnb
Best Hotel in Albertstadt: Quality Hotel Plaza Dresden
This hotel is luxurious, but not too expensive so you’ll still be travelling on a budget! If you want to unwind and relax, you can use the sauna or go for a drink at the lovely bar.
The on-site restaurant is brilliant and will serve you up all the German cuisine you could eat! There’s a free breakfast every morning to set you up for a wonderful day of exploring Albertstadt!View on Booking.com
Dresden isn’t just a place for those who enjoy strolling in the sunshine and visiting museums. It’s also an exciting place if you enjoy getting out after dark, exploring the newer, more contemporary areas of the city.
On the northern side of the river, you can still see the beautiful river Elbe, but there’s so much to explore in this area to the north too!
Things to See and Do in Neustadt
– If you enjoy magnificent architecture, head to Sachsische Staatskanzlei – a beautifully ornate state office found on the banks of the River Elbe!
– If you want to take a step back in time, head to the Landesmuseum fur Vorgeschichte – Dresden’s very own archaeological museum!
– Head to the heart of Neustadt to see the Golden Horseman- a world-famous statue depicting Augustus the Strong – a former monarch of the region!
– For some fresh air, head to Palaisgarten, where you’ll also find the gorgeous Japanisches Palais. There are some beautiful gardens with easy to follow paths, right on the banks of the Elbe!
– Dresden isn’t just exciting in the daytime, its nightlife is great too! Some of the best places to visit are Club Standesamt, Loft House, LOBO and Ostpol – where you’ll find some great live music too!
Best Hostel in Neustadt: Hostel Mondpalast
Just around the corner from trendy bars and stylish cafes is this hostel, fully equipped to make your stay as easy as possible. There’s loads of fabulous German bakeries nearby for you to enjoy some local cuisine, but there’s also a free breakfast at the hostel if you want to stay in-house!
Free Wi-Fi means you can stay connected with any new friends you make and there’s bikes available to rent for you to get around the city easily!View on HostelWorld
Best Airbnb in Neustadt: Sunny Apartment August
Sleeping four guests, this apartment is spacious and bright, as the name would suggest! Located in the fabulously varied and eclectic area of Neustadt!
There’s a fully equipped kitchen and free Wi-Fi. Trams around the corner from this apartment take you straight into the heart of the city centre!View on Airbnb
Best Hotel in Neustadt: Motel One Dresden – Palaisplatz
This retro and contemporary hotel is right in the heart of Neustadt and ready to give you the best stay! Just a five minute drive away from some of Neustadt’s most famous tourist attractions.
There’s a range of room types and sizes and with a 24-hour front desk, the staff will be at your beck and call at all hours of the dayView on Booking.com
A little to the west of the city centre is this area of Friedrichstadt, and it’s definitely an up-and-coming area of Dresden. There’s one of the most famous museums in the world here, and it has so much to teach you about this fascinating place.
There’s even the chance to have a bit of childish fun at a waterpark and also, for the culture vultures amongst you, some great venues to see some fantastic performances!
Things to See and Do in Friedrichstadt
– The Semperoper is the main opera house in Dresden. It was rebuilt after the enormous firebombing in WWII and is still a magnificent and imposing building!
– You’d never believe that Yenidze used to be a cigarette factory! Now it’s just an office building, but it’s so worth a look! It is a fantastic structure – great for you architecture lovers out there!
– Staatliche Kunstsammlungen Dresden is one of the oldest and most famous museums in the world! It consists of 12 different museums, all displaying some amazing artefacts, art collections and historical documents!
– For a bit of childish fun, head to Elbamare Erlebnisbad – a fantastic waterpark where you can be a kid again for the afternoon!
– Dresden’s largest performance arts centre, Staatsoperette Dresden, can be found here. Make sure you check out what brilliant shows are on during your stay!
Best Airbnb in Friedrichstadt: Design Studio Apartment mit Panorama Blick
This small but unique stay is perfect for a couple wanting to getaway or for a solo traveller. Right at the top of its building, there’s amazing views across the city in this trendy and one-of-a-kind space!
There’s a fully equipped kitchen and a comfortable space for you to relax and enjoy the brilliant views just outside your window!View on Airbnb
Best Budget Hotel in Friedrichstadt: Penck Hotel Dresden
This simple hotel is plonked right at the centre of Friedrichstadt, and no matter what floor your room is on, you’re guaranteed to have a fantastic view!
There’s a 24 hour front desk and a sauna available for you to relax in after a long day of exploring!View on Booking.com
Best Hotel in Friedrichstadt: Maritim Hotel Dresden
This gorgeous building has a very relaxed atmosphere, with plenty on offer for all of its guests. Just a ten-minute walk from the Semper Opera House amongst other attractions, this hotel is in a great location!
With an indoor pool and a sauna, you can relax, but if you want to get out into the hustle and bustle, you can get there easily with the great transport links!View on Booking.com
If you want a family-friendly getaway, look no further than Strehlen! Slightly southeast of the city centre, it’s an area filled with green spaces and activities for all ages. You’re still close to the city centre and the gorgeous River Elbe, but you can enjoy the huge Grosser Garten, in which you’ll find a zoo and the botanical gardens!
Dresden has something to offer all the family to ensure a relaxing and fun-filled stay!
Things to See and Do in Strehlen
– Take a trip out to the Loschwitz Bridge – iconic and built in the late 1800s, a stroll across it will give you great views across the Elbe and all of Dresden!
– The Dresden Panometer is so named because it contains one of the panoramic paintings by Austrian-born artist Yadegar Asisi! Perfect if you’re an art lover!
– Fancy giving the kids some fresh air? Why not head to Dresden Botanical Gardens open daily and without charge!
– If you’re an animal lover, look no further than Dresden Zoo! Housing over 3000 animals of almost 400 species, this place will have something for all the family to enjoy!
– Take the whole family out for an amazing day at one with nature at Dresden Elbe Valley. There’s some beautiful walks through the valley where you can enjoy the spectacular scenery!
– Why not take the kids for some education at the German Hygiene Museum? One of the most visited museums in Dresden!
Best Hostel in Strehlen: A&O Dresden Hauptbahnhof
opened in 2007, this hostel has had plenty of time to perfect their service! Just 400 metres from Dresden Central Railway Station, it’s so easy to find and access!
With a unique bar on a rooftop terrace, there’s a breath-taking panoramic view over the heart of Dresden, as well as find new friends to enjoy your time here with!View on HostelWorld
Best Airbnb in Strehlen: Ruhige und modern Ferienwohnung fur maximal 4
This small, but contemporary flat is perfect for an intimate family getaway. The décor is comfortable and the flat is well equipped.
You’ll be right in the heart of the Strehlen and really close to all the amazing attractions listed above!View on Airbnb
Best Hotel in Strehlen: Dormero Hotel Dresden City
With a stylish and glamorous style, this hotel is both rustic and modern. You can enjoy a drink at the bar before some night explorations or a hearty breakfast with the family before a fun-filled day of excitement!
Linens and towels are provided and there’s TVs in almost every room!View on Booking.com
Final Thoughts on Where to Stay in Dresden
An 800-year history, beautiful scenery and an exciting cultural atmosphere – Dresden has so much to offer for travellers of all types! It comes as no surprise that Dresden is the perfect place to stay for all ages!
To recap: Altstadt is the best place to stay in Dresden for your first time. It’s the best place to fully understand the history of the city and its cultural significance!
To recap: Bagan’s most luxurious hotel is definitely the Relais & Chateaux Hotel Bulow Palais. The perfect mix of period and modern!
If you are travelling on a budget, then the best place to stay in Guesthouse Mezcalero – renowned service and a friendly atmosphere!
Have we missed anything? Let us know in the comments below! Otherwise, enjoy your travels!
Don’t forget to sort your travel insurance! We’ve put together a roundup of the best travel insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads now, our favourite travel insurance provider.
Getting an estimate from World Nomads is simple – just click the button or image below, fill out the necessary info, and you’re on your way!
Do you own an awesome hostel, hotel or apartment? Want to be featured in our list? Email [email protected] to find out how.
Yay for transparency! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, The Broke Backpacker will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps me keep the site going.
Need More Inspiration?
Like this post? PIN ME!!!