As the former capital city of Vietnam, Hue has so much to offer, and we’ll show you it all in this article! With a rich history of imperialism and great emperors, there are some fantastic sights to see. Hue also boasts an incredible, world-famous cuisine and of course, some beautiful scenery!
With a population of just half a million, this beautiful city is still busy but not overwhelming, so it’s the best place to visit in Vietnam to get some exploring done
With so much on offer, it can be quite overwhelming when trying to decide where to stay in Hue.
But with our easy, step-by-step guide, you’ll find the best areas to stay in Hue to meet your interests and budget!
Without further ado, here’s our guide to where to stay in Hue, Vietnam.
Quick Tips: Where to Stay in Hue
- Where to stay in Hue for your first time: Vinh Ninh
- Where to stay in Hue on a budget: Xuan Phu
- Where to stay in Hue for nightlife: Vy Da
- Coolest place to stay in Hue: Phu Cat
- Where to stay in Hue for families: Huong Long
- For your fill of Vietnamese history, head to the Ho Chi Minh Museum.
- To get your fill of Hue’s amazing past head to the Esplanade of Sacrifice to Heaven and Earth.
- For some peace and serenity, head to To dinh Tuong Van, a beautifully ornate Buddhist temple!
Table of Contents
- Where to Stay in Hue
- Hue Neighborhood Guide
- 5 Best Neighborhoods to Stay in Hue
- #1 Vinh Ninh – Best Place to Stay in Hue for Your First Time
- #2 Xuan Phu – Best Place to Stay in Hue on a Budget
- #3 Vy Da – Best Place to Stay In Hue for Nightlife
- #4 Phu Cat – Coolest Place to Stay in Hue
- #5 Huong Long – Best Place to Stay in Hue For Families
Looking for a specific stay? These are our highest recommendations for places to stay in Hue…
Best Hostel in Hue: Hue Sweethouse 2 Homestay
This gorgeous little hostel is right in the heart of Hue’s city centre. It has a perfect location and is also fairly luxurious! There’s very stylish, modern décor and air conditioning and a flat screen tv in every room!
There’s even a private en-suite bathroom with each room – this place certainly doesn’t feel like a hostel at all. To have luxury on a budget, the best place to stay in Hue is Hue Sweethouse 2 Homestay!View on HostelWorld
Best Airbnb in Hue: Entire Hue Traditional House
This beautiful, traditional Vietnamese house is located at the right wall of the Imperial City – the best historical landmark in Hue! It is a gorgeous little house redesigned by the owners to make it comfortable as well as preserving its most interesting period features.
The host Matthew even offers his services as a tour guide of the city! If you want a convenient, comfortable and more importantly, a truly unique stay, look no further than here!View on Airbnb
Best Hotel in Hue: Imperial Hotel Hue
Boasting stunning views, a gorgeous outdoor pool and a rooftop restaurant, this hotel is the epitome of luxury in Hue! It’s five-star status is obvious by its pristine décor and stylish rooms.
It’s within walking distance of Hue’s top attractions and there’s even an airport shuffle so you can get here and enjoy this luxury as quickly and easily as possible! If you want to feel like a true Vietnamese king, the Imperial Hotel Hue is the best place to stay in Hue!View on Booking.com
Quick Summary: The Best Places to Stay in Hue
|Check Top HostelCheck Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top HostelCheck Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top HostelCheck Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top HostelCheck Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
With so much history, culture and scenery to enjoy, Hue is one of the best places to visit in Vietnam!
5 Best Neighborhoods to Stay in Hue
Hue’s history has been both eclectic and varied. As the former capital in times gone by, it is still a prominent and important area to stay in Vietnam during a trip.
It has murals for ancient emperors and Buddhist temples scattered across it, so you’ll probably just stumble across some of its amazing history as you’re walking to the shop!
Hue also has a darker side of its past, as it was the site of the Battle of Hue during the Vietnam War and there are plenty of military murals and cemeteries for you to pay your respects.
Hue lies on the bank of the stunning Perfume River, along which you can get a tour on a dragon boat! With the coast to the east and gorgeous countryside surrounding it, there’s the chance to get away from the bustle of the city as well as enjoy its sights!
There’s plenty of museums around to learn about this incredible city, and the best place to stay in Hue to get a true feel for its commercial value is in Vinh Ninh!
However, if you fancy learning a bit more about Hue’s secret treasures, then head to the Phu Cat neighbourhood where you’ll find some vibrant street markets, as well as the world-famous ancient citadel, filled to the brim with history and culture!
Bringing the kids along? Head to Huong Long! It’s a little out of the noise of the city, but there’s still loads to do, with water parks, parks and temples galore! Hue is also famous for its delicious cuisine, with plenty of noodle-based fish dishes featuring as some of the city’s delicacies.
The best place to stay in Hue to experience this is either Phu Cat or Xuan Phu!
If you want to find your zen, there really isn’t anywhere better. After a stint in American and France, world-famous Zen master Thich Nhat Hanh returned to his hometown of Hue in October 2018!
The Buddhist temples in Hue are the best places to visit in Hue if you want a chance to find him!
Not only is hue fascinating and beautiful, but it’s also very easily accessible! Hue Railways Station makes onwards travel in Vietnam to other major cities and destinations easy, and Phu Bai International Airport is just a short drive to the south of the city centre!
To get your best fill of all Hue has to offer on your first visit, then look no further than Vinh Ninh! At the very heart of the city, you’ll be right in the action, with the opportunity to see so many sights and take in so much history and culture!
With museums, ancient murals and temples all within walking distance of each other there’s so many activities for you to sink your teeth into during your stay here!
Things to See and Do in in Vinh Ninh:
– To get your fill of Hue’s amazing past head to the Esplanade of Sacrifice to the Heaven and Earth. It’s where Hue’s monarchs used to pray to Heaven for blessings on the kingdom!
– If you enjoy art, head to the Le Ba Dang Art Museum. With exhibits ranging from sculptures to watercolours, this museum celebrates the work of the world-famous Vietnamese artists Le Ba Dang!
– To get the best view of the city, why not take a dragon boat down the Perfume River? It will be both relaxing and fascinating!
– For your fill of Vietnamese history, head to the Ho Chi Minh Museum. He was Vietnam’s most famous and controversial leader – find out all about his interesting life here!
– For some peace and serenity, head to To dinh Tuong Van, a beautifully ornate Buddhist temple!
– If you want to see some gorgeous Vietnamese designs and how they’re made, head to the XQ Embroidery Museum!
Best Hostel in Vinh Ninh: Sunny A Hostel
Sunny A Hostel offers a warm, cosy and welcoming atmosphere. Its been newly refurbished and so has all the mod-cons you would need and a variety of different sized rooms on offer!
It’s on a relatively quiet street for the centre of Hue, but restaurants, bars and shops are just around the corner. Thanks to Hue’s great bus service, everything is easily accessible from this great hostel!View on HostelWorld
Best Airbnb in Vinh Ninh: Angle’s City Centre Apartment
This delightful apartment is spacious, modern and contemporary. It boasts its own balcony for you to enjoy the sights of the city on with a drink or a breakfast in the beautiful morning sunshine!
Steps away from the Perfume River, this apartment is fantastically located and is the best place to stay in Vinh Ninh!View on Airbnb
Best Hotel in Vinh Ninh: Parkview Hotel
Within driving distance of some of Hue’s best attractions is this splendid hotel! With an airport shuttle, you can get here really easily and there’s a train station pick-up service as well!
There’s an outdoor pool and sauna for you to relax in and a restaurant on site. If you would rather venture out to eat though, there’s so many bars and cafes just around the corner from this centrally located hotel!View on Booking.com
Slightly towards the east of the city centre is this more chilled out and quiet region. But don’t worry, there’s still loads to explore and enjoy! There are ancient Vietnamese palaces, a marine museum and the opportunity to head into the beautiful surrounding countryside!
The area is also brimming with quaint little cafes for you to relax in! Thanks to the excellent bus service in Hue, it’s still really easy for you access all the other areas of the city!
Things to See and Do in Xuan Phu:
– If you want to get active, head to the Center of Sports in Hue – a huge complex for you try some new sports out!
– For some amazing architecture, head to An Dinh Palace, the home of Vietnam’s last kings. You can also find some excellent fine art pieces inside!
– To find out about Hue and Vietnam’s amazing marine wildlife, head over to the Museum of Nature Coast Central!
– Take a day trip out into the countryside surrounding the east of Hue, where you’ll find Thanh Toan Bridge. An example of ancient Vietnamese architecture, this is a beautiful setting for a walk!
– There’s some gorgeous little cafes around this area of Hue, including the Let’s Smile English tea and book room, for a little taste of home!
Best Hostel in Xuan Phu: Friendly House
This fantastic Hue hostel is exactly what it says on the tin – friendly! If you choose to stay here you can expect a warm welcome, with the chance to meet other travellers in its social atmosphere.
You can organise group tours from this hostel, using motorbikes, bicycles or cars to show you around the city that the staff are so familiar with! There’s a range of dorm-style rooms and sociable areas for you to relax in after a day of exploring!View on HostelWorld
Best Airbnb in Xuan Phu: Kirakuan Ecolo
This trendy and quirky apartment can be yours for a reasonable price at very little inconvenience to yourself! The superhost offers a free airport pick up to save you plenty of money in taxis!
As it’s owned by an interior designer, you’d expect it to be stylish and it certainly is! With bright colours and sparkling clean interiors, you’ll want for nothing in this attractive apartment!View on Airbnb
Best Hotel in Xuan Phu: Baly Hotel
Baly Hotel is an extraordinary hotel without the extraordinary price! Still a cheaper option in terms of money but by no means in terms of the quality of stay, this is the best place to stay in Xuan Phu!
With a rooftop bar, large rooms and a variety of dining options, this is the perfect base for you to relax in as well as have great access to all that Xuan Phu has on offer!View on Booking.com
Although Hue is probably best known for its beauty and historical significance, there’s still plenty to do under the moon than under the sun!
With plenty of awesome clubs, bars and restaurants around serving up some truly fascinating Vietnamese specialities, this is the best place to stay in Hue for nightlife!
This area is also really popular with backpackers, so you’re bound to find some new friends during your stay here! But don’t worry, there’s still plenty to do
Things to See and Do in Vy Da:
– For your fill of Vietnamese’s ancient architecture, head to Den Chieu Ung, a gorgeous red and yellow landmark!
– For beautiful gardens filled with streams and waterfalls, head to Chua Diac The, a gorgeous Buddhist temple just to the north of Hue!
– Want to see Hue from a whole different perspective? Why not hitch a ride with the Hue Riders- a sightseeing tour agency who give you the chance to ride a motorbike around the city in order to see its most beautiful and interesting features without hurting your feet!
– To see some truly ornate decorations, head to Nha tho Giao xu Phu Hai and Dong Con Duc ME Di Vieng. These are two stunning Catholic Churches adorned with incredible carvings and fantastic colours!
– There are some truly wonderful eateries in this area of Hue, but the top ones for a sophisticated dining experience with some amazing food are definitely Nha Hang Cung Dinh, Nha Hang Thang Long Hue and Nha Hang Chic
– If you want to get your dancing shoes on during your stay in Hue, look no further than some of the exciting night clubs Vy Da has to offer! The best spots include Secret Lounge Hue, Century Beer Garden and Bar Asta!
Best Hostel in Vy Da: Hue Boutique Hostel
Located on the bank of the river in this stunning area of Hue, a place this amazing is a rare find even in Vietnam’s amazing hostel scene! There’s a range of different types of rooms, including some with balconies for you to enjoy overlooking the city!
There’s a complimentary breakfast and free cleaning of your room every day. This great service will be the best thing if you’re planning a big night out in the city!View on HostelWorld
Best Airbnb in Vy Da: Nhu Y Riverside Homestay
This gorgeous house is set right on the banks of the Perfume River, boasting breath-taking views across the water. Enjoy pre-drinks in your own private garden which falls out onto a vista of the beautiful river.
The house itself is quaint, simple and spacious and is the perfect place to relax after a long day (or night) of exploring the city!View on Airbnb
Best Hotel in Vy Da: Hue Nino Hotel
Centrally located and gorgeously decorated, this is a lovely choice of hotel to be your base when exploring the nightlife of this vibrant city. The rooms all have amazing views over the city, and there’s a round-the-clock airport shuttle for your convenience!View on Booking.com
We think Phu Cat is the coolest place to stay in Hue for many reasons. In this area is the most fascinating and famous part of the city – the imperial city.
You’ll also find the bustling street markets and eateries that this part of Vietnam is so famous for!
Right by the Perfume River, this area is breathtakingly beautiful, with the perfect mixture of urban and rural!
Things to See and Do in Phu Cat:
– Perhaps the most famous attraction in all of Hue is the Imperial City. An ancient walled enclosure, the former imperial capital of Vietnam. An amazing and fascinating place to visit and take in!
– If you want your fill of culture, head to Hue’s Museum of Royal Fine Arts, which is dedicated to Vietnam’s imperial past!
– Head to the Dong Ba Market, where you’ll find some of the most amazing local foods, clothes and grab yourself a souvenir to take home!
– Pham Ngu Lao Street is where you’ll experience the true vibrancy of Hue. With bikers everywhere and the opportunity to buy anything from cigarettes to massages, there’s something for everyone here!
– If you want to see the tallest structure in the citadel, take a look at the 13m high Hien Lam Cac Pavillion. It was built in memory of the mandarins who served the Nguyen dynasty!
Best Hostel in Phu Cat: A-Maze House
This stunning hostel is located in one oldest areas of Hue. It is decorated traditionally to offer you an authentic, yet comfortable stay.
It’s a family-run business, offering a friendly and helpful atmosphere where you can relax after all your adventuring in the city! It was recently renovated to offer a range of different styles of room depending on who you’re travelling with!View on HostelWorld
Best Airbnb in Phu Cat: Nest Studio
for a truly authentic stay in one of the oldest parts of the city, look no further than this delightful house right next to the Imperial City! With gorgeous garden space for you to relax in and enjoy some quiet amongst the old trees.
The décor is completely charming, emulating a traditional Vietnamese house! This is the best place to stay in Phu Cat if you want something unique!View on Airbnb
Best Hotel in Phu Cat: Snooze Garden
As you might guess from the name of this hotel, it’s the best place to stay in Phu Cat if you want to sit back and relax! It’s quaint, charming and has a lively outlook across the city from its terrace where you can enjoy a drink or a bit to eat!
A little to the north of Phu Cat but still brilliantly located, there are great transport links and the hotel puts on an airport shuttle for your arrival and departure!View on Booking.com
If you’re looking for the best place for both the parents and the kids to enjoy a getaway, the best place to stay in Hue is definitely Huong Long. It’s a little out of the city centre towards the gorgeous banks of the Perfume River and its tributaries!
There are loads of green spaces out here, as well as a water park and some of the less busy examples of museums and temples for you to enjoy!
Things to See and Do in Huong Long:
– Why not head to the Pagoda of the Celestial Lady? An ornate historic temple regarded as the unofficial symbol of the city!
– Take a day trip out to the south of the city where you’ll find the Gia Long Tomb. This is the burial site of an ancient Vietnamese emperor, which is surrounded by serene lake covered in lotus flowers!
– If you enjoy architecture, why not head out to the Tomb of Khai Dinh. At the foot of the spectacular Chau Chu mountain, this beautiful tomb took 11 years to complete!
– Take the kids for a day jam-packed with fun at Cong Vien nuoc Mini Sun Water! It’s Hue’s only water park and is sure to be a day of fun for all the family!
– To get a look at a slightly less busy Buddhist temple, your best bet is Chua Kim Son. It’s a little out of the city but by no means any less beautiful than those in the centre!
– If you want a tranquil green space to relax in, look no further than Truc Chi. It’s filled with flowers and bamboo trees, but also with loads of Hue’s traditional Vietnamese artwork and crafts on display for you to enjoy!
Best Airbnb in Huong Long: Architectural Beauty blended with Nature and Light
this gorgeous Vietnamese family home has been renovated to have a stylish modern twist. It’s a private hideaway for you to relax in after a long day of exploring with the kids!
There’s a private balcony and huge sliding glass door which let in natural light. There’s a gorgeous garden for you to escape into while you’re enjoying a morning coffee or a late-night cocktail after the sprogs have gone to bed!View on Airbnb
Best Hotel in Huong Long: Ancient Hue Garden Houses
This really is a totally unique and immersive experience of traditional Vietnamese hospitality! These ancient garden houses are quintessential Vietnam architecture and are packed with character with a luxurious modern twist!
It boasts stunning gardens to explore, a hot tub and an outdoor pool! There’s something to keep all of the family entertained for the whole day here!View on Booking.com
Best Budget Hotel in Huong Long: Hue Riverside Boutique Resort Spa
Despite the name, this hotel is actually excellent value for money! There are so many amenities, like a spa, pool and gym as well as some gorgeous garden space. The rooms are spacious and comfortable and there’s a great onsite restaurant too.
It would appear that this resort has everything you and your family would need, but if you want to travel into the city, it within a 5-minute drive of some of its best attractions!View on Booking.com
Final Thoughts on Where to Stay in Hue
A beautiful and safe destination in Vietnam with gorgeous scenery, unparalleled historical significance , and a live-giving river running all the way through it – Hue has so much to offer to travellers of all types! It comes as no surprise that Hue is the perfect place to visit for all ages!
Vinh Ninh is the best place to stay in Hue for your first time. Its right at the heart of the city and gives you the opportunity to see all of its amazing sights!
Hue’s most luxurious hotel is definitely the Imperial Hotel. A renovated ancient building, it’s a truly unique find!
If you are travelling on a budget, then the best place to stay in Hue is Hue Sweethouse Homestay 2 – friendly staff and a brilliant service!
Have we missed anything? Let us know in the comments below! Otherwise, enjoy your travels!
Don’t forget to sort your travel insurance! We’ve put together a roundup of the best travel insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads now, our favourite travel insurance provider.
Getting an estimate from World Nomads is simple – just click the button or image below, fill out the necessary info, and you’re on your way!
Do you own an awesome hostel, hotel or apartment? Want to be featured in our list? Email [email protected] to find out how.
Yay for transparency! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, The Broke Backpacker will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps me keep the site going.
Need More Inspiration?
- Southeast Asia Budget Backpacking Guide
- Ha-Giang Loop Motorbike Trip Itinerary
- Best Backpacker Accommodation in Da Nang
- Where to Stay in Hoi An
- Da Lat’s Best Areas to Stay
Like this post? PIN ME!!!
Writer and Editor, Ana Pereira is a California native, inspired by Earth exploration and introspection. Recently, she spent several months exploring Africa and South Asia. She spends most of her “down-time” out in the wilderness, climbing, hiking, and beyond, and is feverishly passionate about travel and health.