Miami is nothing short of a traveller’s paradise. It’s bright, colourful and constantly buzzing – and it has incredible beaches, fantastic nightlife, unique architecture, and a world-renowned food scene.
But Miami is a massive city, and some of its neighbourhoods don’t offer much to visitors. That’s why we wrote this insider’s guide for where to stay in Miami.
The Broke Backpacker’s no stress guide to where to stay in Miami is designed with one purpose – to help you find the best neighbourhood in Miami based on your travel interests.
Whether that’s lounging on the beach, dancing the night away, sampling the city’s best food, or taking in its arts and culture scenes, our list will help you find the best area for your visit.
So let’s get to it. Here are our recommendations for where to stay in Miami.
Quick Tips – Where to Stay in Miami
- Where to stay in Miami first time – Downtown Miami
- Where to stay in Miami on a budget – Miami Beach
- Best area to stay in Miami for nightlife – South Beach
- Coolest place to stay in Miami – Brickell
- Best neighbourhood in Miami for families – Key Biscayne
In a hurry? Here’s my top neighborhood for first timers:
- Visit the Freedom Tower, one of the most iconic buildings in the city
- Go for a stroll along the water at Bayfront Park
- Shop til you drop at Bayside Marketplace, a two-story open-air shopping centre
Table of Contents
- Where to Stay in Miami
- Miami Neighborhood Guide
- 5 Best Neighborhoods to Stay in Miami
- 1. Downtown Miami – Best Place to Stay in Miami for First-Timers
- 2. Miami Beach – Best Place to Stay in Miami on a Budget
- 3. South Beach – Best Place to Stay in Miami for Nightlife
- 4. Brickell – Coolest Neighbourhood in Miami
- 5. Key Biscayne – Best Place to Stay in Miami for Families
Where to Stay in Miami
Looking for a specific place to stay? These are our highest recommendations for places to stay in Miami.
Best Hostel in Miami: Generator Miami
The Generator Miami is our pick for the best hostel in Miami. Located at the centre of vibrant and lively Miami Beach, this hostel is close to South Beach, shops, bars, clubs and restaurants.
A light breakfast is included and, furthermore, this hostel boasts not one but two restaurants.
Best Hotel in Miami: Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Miami Downtown Brickell
This incredible hotel is located a short walk from Brickell’s trendiest spots. It comes complete with a fitness room, swimming pool, and a Jacuzzi. The rooms are modern and stylish, and they are outfitted with a kitchenette, refrigerator and coffee/tea facilities. Therefore, this is our pick for the best hotel in Miami.
Miami Neighborhood Guide
Quick Summary: The Best Places to Stay in Miami
|Check Top HostelCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top HostelCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top HostelCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top HostelCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top HostelCheck Top Hotel|
Miami is the largest city in Florida.
It boasts a rich history and diverse cultural heritage. Miami is home to the largest Latin American population outside of Latin American, and those influences can be seen throughout the city.
There are more than 25 neighbourhoods in the Miami area. Each offers visitors a diverse selection of attractions and activities. To get a good feel for the city, we recommend you explore at least three or four neighbourhoods on your visit.
To help you plan your time in Miami, this guide will break down each area by interest.
Starting at the heart of Miami, you have downtown. The commercial, cultural and financial centre of the city, Downtown Miami is where you’ll find skyscrapers, interesting museums, unique art galleries and plenty of history.
South of Downtown is the up-and-coming neighbourhood of Brickell. One of Miami’s hidden gems, this neighbourhood is packed with fantastic shops and incredible restaurants.
Travel east across the water from Downtown and you’ll arrive in Miami Beach and South Beach. Arguably the liveliest and most famous neighbourhoods in the city, this is where to stay if you’re looking for great beaches, hot clubs, and to hobnob with Miami’s young, rich and famous.
Head south through the city to Key Biscayne. One of the greenest areas of the city, this island paradise is packed with family-friendly activities and animal-oriented attractions.
Still not sure where to stay in Miami? Keep reading because we’re about to break down each of these great areas below.
5 Best Neighborhoods to Stay in Miami
Let’s take a look, in more detail, at the five best neighbourhoods to stay in Miami. Each is different from the last, so be sure to choose the neighbourhood that right for you.
Downtown Miami is the commercial and financial centre of the city. It is a generally busy area that is jam-packed with skyscrapers and businesses, shops and boutiques, and entertainment venues.
But that’s not all there is in Downtown Miami. This area of the city is also where you’ll find it’s core cultural institutions including world-class art galleries and renowned museums.
Downtown Miami is also home to the trendy Design District. Bursting with creative flair and artistic highlights, the Design District is well-known for its restaurants, cafes, bars and shops. This is one of the coolest parts of the city to spend a day in simply wandering the streets and taking it all in.
Things to See and Do in Downtown Miami
– See some of the best examples of modern and contemporary art at the Pérez Art Museum Miami.
– Visit the Freedom Tower, one of the most iconic buildings in the city.
– Go for a stroll along the water at Bayfront Park.
– Wander throughout the Downtown Historic District and see unique structures from the early-20th-century.
– Party the night away at E11even.
– Explore Miami’s Design District, which is packed with upscale art galleries, high-end boutiques and chic restaurants.
– Dine on delicious seafood dishes at CVI.CHE 105.
– Shop til you drop at Bayside Marketplace, a two-story open-air shopping centre.
Best Hostel in Downtown Miami: The Leamington Hotel
With a fantastic location at the heart of Miami’s shopping district, this charming hotel is the perfect budget accommodation choice. It’s a stone’s throw from great restaurants, clubs and bars.
This cosy hotel boasts a swimming pool, helpful staff and convenient airport transfers. Free breakfast is also included in your stay.
Best Hotel in Downtown Miami: Eurostars Langford
This hotel is set right in the middle of Downtown Miami. Everything you could possibly need is just steps from your front door, including bars, restaurants, shops and museums. The rooms are comfortable and spacious, and they feature a mini-bar and flat-screen TV. This hotel also boasts a chic on-site restaurant.
Best Hotel in Downtown Miami: Hilton Miami Downtown
A fantastic location, elegant décor, and luxurious rooms are just a few of the reasons this is our top pick for where to stay in Downtown Miami. This hotel boasts a fitness centre, swimming pool, and a stylish on-site bar.
It is close to well-known attractions and is within walking distance of Miami’s hottest clubs.View on Booking.com View on HotelsCombined View on Agoda
Although Miami Beach isn’t technically part of Miami, we’ve decided to include it. Because really, there’s no neighbourhood that is more quintessentially Miami than Miami Beach.
When you think of Miami, you undoubtedly think of Miami Beach. This small barrier island just east of downtown is packed with art deco buildings, swaying palm tree, neon lights, and rowdy bars.
Staying Miami can be a challenge if you’re on a budget. That’s why we recommend Miami Beach for the cost-conscious travel. Here you’ll find the highest concentration of backpacker hostels.
By staying in Miami Beach, you can save your hard-earned travel dollars for those once-in-a-lifetime Miami experiences.
Things to See and Do in Miami Beach
– Go for a stroll along the Miami Beach Boardwalk
– Dine on quintessential American fare at Brugers Shares Inc.
– Try great cocktails at The Bleau Bar.
– Stop and smell the roses at the Miami Beach Botanical Garden.
– Take an art deco walking tour along Lincoln Road.
– See contemporary works of art at the Bass Museum of Art.
– Relax on the sand and soak up the sunshine on Miami Beach.
– Enjoy fresh and delicious food on the go at Go-Go Fresh Food.
– Sip cocktails in a tropical garden at the Broken Shaker Bar.
– Dance the night away under the stars at Skybar at the Shore Club.
Best Hostel in Miami Beach: Generator Miami
The Generator Miami is our pick for where to stay in Miami Beach. Located at the centre of this vibrant and lively district, this hotel is close to South Beach, shops, bars, clubs and restaurants. A light breakfast is included and this hostel boasts not one but two restaurants.
Best Hotel in Miami Beach: Nautilus A SIXTY Hotel
This modern hotel is the epitome of Miami-chic. Each room is bright and airy and features comfortable beds and modern amenities.
This four-star property comes complete with an outdoor swimming pool, fitness facilities, and a helpful and knowledgeable staff. It also has a fantastic restaurant open for breakfast, lunch and dinner.View on Booking.com View on HotelsCombined View on Agoda
Best Hotel in Miami Beach: The Shepley Hotel
Nestled between Miami Beach and South Beach, this hotel is the perfect base for exploring the city. It is a short walk to Miami’s best bars, clubs and restaurants, and is just a stone’s throw from the beach.
The property boasts a fitness centre, convenient tour desk, and a stylish lounge bar.View on Booking.com View on HotelsCombined View on Agoda
South Beach is one of the most famous neighbourhoods not just in Miami, but in the United States. Renowned throughout the country, South Beach is the city’s dedicated nightlife area with plenty of bars, restaurants, clubs, bistros and hip hangouts.
There’s no questioning that South Beach is our pick for where to stay in Miami if you’re looking for exciting nightlife.
South Beach is where you’ll find Miami’s young, rich and famous partying on weekends. The nightlife here is so incredible and abundant you’ll never have to question what to do.
Whether you want to dance or enjoy custom cocktails on a rooftop patio, South Beach has it all.
Things to See and Do in South Beach
– Browse the exhibits at the World Erotic Art Museum.
– Sip whimsical cocktails at the Sugar Factory.
– Rub elbows with Miami elite at the iconic Nikki Beach.
– Dance the night away at STORY Nightclub.
– Indulge late night appetite at Big Pink.
– Bask in the heat and spend an afternoon lounging on South Beach.
– Enjoy great drinks, loud music and a vibrant atmosphere at Mango’s Tropical Café.
– Spend a night on the bustling and buzzy patio at Clevelander.
– Take a relaxing stroll through South Point Park.
– See incredible views and enjoy amazing food at La Savina.
Best Hostel in South Beach: Miami Beach International Hostel
You won’t have to go far from this Beach South hostel to find the hottest parties in the city. Not only is it a short walk from the best bars, clubs and restaurants, but this hostel is buzzing with excitement and energy all day and night.
Your stay includes free breakfast AND free dinner.
Best Hotel in South Beach: Marlin Hotel Miami Beach
Located in Miami’s vibrant South Beach, this fabulous four-star hotel is within walking distance of world-class restaurants and buzzing nightlife. It has fantastic views and is close to the beach.
All of these things combine to make it our top choice for where to stay in South Beach.
Best Hotel in South Beach: Washington Park Hotel South Beach
This unique four-star hotel offers guests a range of accommodations throughout South Beach and the Miami Beach area. The rooms are comfortable and spacious, and feature air-conditioning and cable TV.
The property boasts a convenient restaurant, a fitness centre and a communal BBQ.
Tucked away south of Downtown is the Brickell neighbourhood, one of Miami’s hidden gems and arguably it’s best-kept secret.
Brickell is a neighbourhood that appears buttoned at first glance because it’s home to a variety of financial institutions and commercial enterprises.
But scratch the surface and you’ll quickly realize that this often-overlooked area is one of the coolest in Miami with its independent boutiques and rustic bars.
Love to eat? This up-and-coming neighbourhood is home to some of the best restaurants in Miami. From chic bistros and upscale fine dining to rooftop patios and charming kitchen, Brickell is where you can tease your taste buds and enjoy unique flavours from cuisines from around the world.
Things to See and Do in Brickell
– Browse the boutiques and eateries at Brickell City Centre.
– Enjoy the views – and an excellent cocktail or two – from the rooftop bar at Sugar.
– Delight your palette by indulging in Peruvian fare at La Mar.
– Wander through Mary Brickell Village and explore it’s many shops, restaurants and bars.
– Take advantage of happy hour specials at the American Social bar.
– Dance the night away at El Tucán Nightclub.
– Eat exotic Mexican dishes with a twist at Cantina La Veinte.
– Head up to the top of Area 31 and get those perfect pics of Miami’s cityscape for the ‘gram!
Best Hostel in Brickell: The 714
Located a short walk north, The 714 Guesthouse is your best bet for affordable accommodation near the Brickell district. This shared guesthouse offers quiet dorms in a safe neighbourhood. The property has a lush backyard, cooking facilities, including a barbecue, and a relaxing hammock.
Best Hotel in Brickell: Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Miami Downtown Brickell
Located just a few minutes walk from Miami’s trendiest spots, this is our pick for where to stay in Brickell. This incredible hotel comes complete with a fitness room, swimming pool, and a Jacuzzi.
The rooms are modern and stylish, and they are outfitted with a kitchenette, refrigerator and coffee/tea facilities.
Best Hotel in Brickell: Aloft Miami Brickell
Aloft Miami Brickell is in a fantastic location. It is set at the centre of Brickell and is ideal for walking to the city’s best bars, clubs, restaurants and galleries. This modern hotel comes complete with a sundeck, an outdoor terrace and a trendy lounge bar. The rooms are well-equipped and very comfortable.
Key Biscayne is a tropical island south of Miami. It’s noted for its verdant nature, pristine beaches and its relaxed and laid-back attitude.
It is our recommendation for where to stay in Miami with kids as it’s one of the greenest neighbourhoods in the city. Not only is Key Biscayne close to two amazing, golden sand beaches, but there are also tropical forests, mangroves and parks nearby.
Need an activity to keep the kids entertained? Take a trip to the Miami Seaquarium. Home to aquatic creatures from around the globe – including orcas, penguins, dolphins and more – your little ones will have the time of their lives seeing these fantastic beasts up-close and in person.
Things to See and Do in Key Biscayne
– Explore stunning Bill Baggs Cape Florida State Park.
– Lounge on the beach and watch kitesurfers zip by at Rickenbacker Causeway Beach.
– Wander throughout lush and expansive Crandon Park.
– Rent kayaks and explore the mangroves.
– Climb the 109 steps to the top of the Cape Florida Lighthouse and enjoy the incredible views.
– See your favourite aquatic creatures, including penguins, dolphins, seals and orcas, at the Miami Seaquarium.
– Head out on the water and try your hand at stand up paddleboarding.
– Eat amazing steaks and Argentinean foods at Milanezza.
– Tickle your taste buds with delicious tapas at Kebo Restaurant.
– Enjoy a sweet treat at Piononos.
Best Hostel in Key Biscayne: Coral Reef at Key Biscayne
Frugal families won’t find a better deal on accommodations than this charming three-star property. Located in Key Biscayne, this hotel is a short walk from beaches, boats, restaurants and fun. It has a fitness room, swimming pool, and an outdoor pool. Furthermore, you can also enjoy paradise from the sands of its private beach.
Best Hotel in Key Biscayne: Silver Sands Beach Resort Key Biscayne
Located in idyllic Key Biscayne, this property is close to great shops, delicious restaurants, and golden sand beaches. It is a short trip from Miami’s top attractions, including Downtown Miami and South Beach.
This property comes complete with an outdoor pool, 24-hour reception, and is surrounded by lush gardens.
Best Hotel in Key Biscayne: Sunny Beach Apartments Key Biscayne
A fantastic location, a range of amenities, and rooms large enough for families – it’s no wonder Sunny Beach Apartments is our recommendation for where to stay in Key Biscayne.
This comfortable and welcoming apartment boasts bright rooms, a kitchen and a dining area. It has access to a sundeck, outdoor pool and a terrace.View on Booking.com View on HotelsCombined View on Agoda
Final Thoughts on Where to Stay in Miami
Wild parties, a rich history, incredible nature and stunning views – Miami has so much to offer travellers. It’s no wonder that this southern Florida city is one of the most famous – and most visited – cities in the United States.
With plenty to see, do, eat and experience, there really is something for travellers of all ages and styles. And more than anything, you want to make sure you’re staying safe in Miami.
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Miami Downtown Brickell is an excellent hotel to stay at in Miami. This hotel is modern, centrally located, and well-equipped.
Have we missed anything? Let us know in the comments below!
Don’t forget to sort your travel insurance! We’ve put together a roundup of the best travel insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads now, our favourite travel insurance provider.
Do you own an awesome hostel, hotel or apartment? Want to be featured in our list? Email email@example.com to find out how.
Yay for transparency! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, The Broke Backpacker will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps me keep the site going.