Pokhara is the second-largest city in Nepal and is a popular tourist destination for travellers of all shapes and sizes! It’s the headquarter of the Kaski District and has the benefit of great connections and an urban centre with spectacular surroundings just a short drive out of the main city!
It’s often the base for people who love trekking the Himalayas and the Annapurna ranges, but there’s so much else on offer here!
With so much on offer, it can be quite overwhelming when trying to decide where to stay in Pokhara.
But with our easy, step-by-step guide, you’ll find the best areas to stay in Pokhara to meet your interests and budget!
Without further ado, here’s our guide to where to stay in Pokhara, Nepal!
Quick Tips: Where to Stay in Pokhara
- Where to Stay in Pokhara for the First Time: Lakeside
- Where to Stay in Pokhara on a Budget: Pame
- Where to Stay in Pokhara for Families: Chhorepatan
- Take a trip out onto the beautiful island in the middle of Phewa Lake, where you’ll find Tal Barahi Temple – a two-storey temple of the protector of the gods.
- Another gorgeous temple is the Bindhyabasini Temple. It is right in the heart of the city and looks especially beautiful at night!
- Fancy being a child for the day? Head to Pokhara Disneyland for a ride on some traditional amusements!
Looking for a specific stay? These are our highest recommendations for places to stay in Pokhara…
Best Hostel in Pokhara: Hotel Hakoniwa
There’s a reason this hostel has a 10/10 rating – and it’s easy to see! Brightly decorated, top-quality furniture and a friendly atmosphere – what’s not to like?
There’s a 24-hour front desk for your convenience and free Wi-Fi so you can plan your trips easily!VIEW ON HOSTELWORLD
Best Airbnb in Pokhara: Lakeview Day Spa Rooftop Studio Apartment
Just next to the lakeside is this delightful apartment overlooking the city. There are so many restaurants and little cafes nearby and you’ll have your own little balcony to enjoy a late-night cocktail or an early morning coffee!VIEW ON AIRBNB
Best Hotel in Pokhara: Jurassic Resort and Villas
If you’re looking to splash out on something truly special, this is the best place to stay in Pokhara for you! With outstanding views across the Phewa Lake and the lower city of Pokhara, your stay will be luxurious and unforgettable!
Enjoy a cocktail on one of the balconies, indulge in the complimentary breakfast that comes with your stay and don’t be afraid to explore- some of Pokhara’s best attractions are just a short drive away!VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Quick Summary: The Best Places to Stay in Pokhara
|Check Top HostelCheck Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top HostelCheck Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
Pokhara is the best place to stay in Nepal if you want an urban experience without missing on the natural beauty just beyond the city. Travellers of all kinds can enjoy this amazing city, which has had a very eclectic history!
It used to be an important trading route between China and India, so the city itself has great historical and economic value. However, in the surrounding hills, you can still find some ancient communities in small villages, like the Khas and Gurung!
With mountains surrounding this amazing city, there’s plenty of opportunities to get some breath-taking views and we’ve highlighted the best spots for you in this article! Accommodation is super easy to find, as this is Nepal’s most popular tourist destination, but we’ve done the hard work for you and found you the best place to stay in the best areas according to your needs!
If you want the ability to see the city from the sky but also on foot, the best place to stay is Lakeside. Overlooking the gorgeous Phewa Lake, you can stay just a short walk away from some of Pokhara’s best attractions.
Travelling on a budget? Pame is the best place to stay if you want an unforgettable trip without breaking the bank. It’s just around the lake and gives you the chance to get to know the wider area.
If you’re bringing the family, Pokhara can cater for you too! Chhorepatan is just a little out of the city centre so you can get some peace and quiet. But the tranquillity isn’t all you’ll find here – there’s loads of opportunities for some family and fun and the odd adventure too!
As Nepal’s tourism capital, it’s important that everything is easily accessible for travellers. The buses in this city are reliable and super regular, taking you to and from Pokhara’s greatest attractions. Pokhara Airport is nearby for those of you coming from further afield!
Gain more valuable insider information using our backpacking Pokhara guide!
3 Best Neighborhoods to Stay in Pokhara
With so much history, culture and scenery to enjoy, Pokhara is one of the best places to stay in Nepal!
The Lakeside is the neighbourhood right in the heart of Pokhara where you’ll find the perfect balance between an urban and rural setting!
Whether you’re here to relax, learn about the history of the area or get out and go on some adventures, you can do all of it from here! Look over Phewa Lake from your hotel room in this amazing area!
Things to See and Do in Lakeside:
– Take a trip out onto the beautiful island in the middle of Phewa Lake, where you’ll find Tal Barahi Temple – a two-storey temple of the protector of the gods.
– Another gorgeous temple is the Bindhyabasini Temple. It is right in the heart of the city and looks especially beautiful at night!
– The best way to see the city and the surrounding countryside in Pokhara is definitely from the air! As long as you don’t have a fear of heights then there are loads of different companies which offer paragliding across this amazing landscape!
– Fancy being a child for the day? Head to Pokhara Disneyland for a ride on some traditional amusements!
– If the weather is good and you’re looking for somewhere to bask in the sun, why not head to either Basundhara Park or Komagane Park. They’re next door to each other and are both lovely green spaces for you to relax in with a book!
Best Hostel in Lakeside: The Mountain House Pokhara
This highly recommended hostel is right in the heart of the Lakeside and offers everything you could want to make sure you have nothing to worry about.
With a gorgeous front garden and comfortable rooms, you’ll want for nothing. On top of that, you’ll be helping the planet, as the warm water in the hostel is heated through solar power!VIEW ON HOSTELWORLD
Best Airbnb in Lakeside: Paradise Pokhara Apartments
This bright and sunny apartment overlooks the city in a remarkable way. With large windows letting in all the natural light, you’ll be able to enjoy some peace and quiet in your luxurious, fully-equipped kitchen!
There’s also a flatscreen TV, high-speed Wi-Fi and a gorgeous modern bathroom!VIEW ON AIRBNB
Best Hotel in Lakeside: Hotel Landmark Pokhara
Just steps away from some of Pokhara’s most attractive temples is this unmissable hotel. In such a grand building, you’ll never miss it and its interesting décor and design is something you won’t forget!
With a business centre, airport shuttle and complimentary breakfast, it’s super convenient too!VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Just because you can’t spend too much doesn’t mean your trip to Pokhara will be any less memorable! Pame has so much on offer which will cost little or nothing!
Just strolling along the shores of the lake is enough to take in the amazing sights to be seen, but there are also loads of opportunities to get out into the more rural surrounding areas from Pame. Where it’s yoga, trekking or perusing museums, there’s something here for everyone!
Things to See and Do in Pame:
– Love nature? Then head out northeast, where you’ll find the Annapurna Museum. This is a brilliant natural history museum where you’ll learn all about Nepal’s native species.
– For the chance to delve into the local culture, then head to the Purna Yoga Retreat Centre. Or, if you don’t mind heading out further into the countryside for some amazing views over the mountains, head to the Himalayan Yogini. Work on your flexibility and your zen!
– Pame is a great neighbourhood for local delicacies and there are loads of lakeside restaurants for you to choose from. Some of the most highly recommended are Samay By The Lake and the DunaTapari Restaurant, but if you just take a stroll by the lake you’re down to stumble upon something delicious!
– For some breath-taking views, head out north to Sarangkot where there’s a spectacular viewing tower overlooking the ancient landscape!
Best Hostel in Pame: Forest Lake Backpackers Hostel
Just a doorstep away from Phewa Lake is this gorgeous hostel in the middle of the countryside. There is a range of rooms available of all shapes and sizes- some even have their own private balconies! The outdoor lounge area is also a great place to meet other travellers!VIEW ON HOSTELWORLD
Best Airbnb in Pame: Accommodation Jupiter
This accommodation is the unique choice for any of you travellers who want to try something a little different. There are a restaurant and bar on-site, and also access to TV and Wi-Fi.
You can enjoy local delicacies in the communal area where you’ll also get the chance to meet other travellers!VIEW ON AIRBNB
Best Hotel in Pame: Waterfront Resort by Kgh Group
Complete with an outdoor pool, stylish furnishings and contemporary design, this hotel is the peak of luxury in Pame. Enjoy a meal overlooking Phewa Lake or a spot of complimentary breakfast before embarking on an adventure in the day!VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Taking the family away can sometimes be stressful because there are so many generations to entertain! But don’t worry about Pokhara – we’ve got you covered.
Not too far out of the city centre so you’re still close to the action, but still able to enjoy some privacy is the lovely neighbourhood of Chhorepatan.
Family activities are in abundance here, whether it’s delving underground to find hidden tunnels and caves or visiting a world-famous temple!
Things to See and Do in Chhorepatan:
– Take the family for some religious culture! Head out to the Shanti Stupa, which is a gorgeous, contemporary pagoda, which has been dubbed the ‘World Peace Pagoda’ – the first of its kind!
– Are you a nature lover? Why not head to the International Mountain Museum, where you can learn all about the history of the Himalayan range, as well as some mountaineering exhibits!
– Are you a family of adrenaline junkies? Look no further than Bungy Nepal Adventure! Quite literally throw yourself into your holiday with this bouncy experience!
– Take the family for a wet and wonderful experience at Devi’s Falls, where you can explore these waterfalls and the tunnels and caves that lie beneath!
– More caving is close by if you can’t get enough! Gupteshwor Mahadev Cave is a popular tourist destination with an underground waterfall and information centre!
Best Airbnb in Chhorepatan: Anadu House
Planning a big family getaway? Look no further than this spectacular house on the hillside! This is the best place to stay in Pokhara if you’re going away with the family- have your own space with stunning views across Phewa Lake and majestic mountains beyond.
With a fully equipped kitchen, hot water and free Wi-Fi, what more could you want?VIEW ON AIRBNB
Best Hotel in Chhorepatan: Peace Dragon Lodge and Restaurant
Just a one minute drive from the World Peace Pagoda is this simple, yet charming hotel where you can truly relax and immerse yourself in the rural landscape. With free parking, a lovely restaurant and a terrace, all your needs will be taken care of and you can enjoy some peace with the family!VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Best Luxury Hotel in Chhorepatan: Shangri-La Village Resort
If you want to treat the family to a hotel like no other, then head to Shangri-La Village Resort! There are so many activities on offer here, whether it be an outdoor pool, a massage or the chance to try out some yoga.
There’s a complimentary breakfast to fill you up before you head out on an adventure with the family, and you’ll be welcomed back with amazing views across the valley!VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Final Thoughts on Where to Stay in Pokhara
Astonishing scenery, amazing history and varied culture – Pokhara has so much to offer travellers of all types! It comes as no surprise that Pokhara is one of Nepal’s most popular tourist destinations!
Lakeside is the best place to stay for the first time. It’s right in the heart of the city, but near to the lake too!
Pokhara’s most luxurious hotel is Jurassic Resort and Villas – 5 star everything!
If you’re travelling on a budget, then the best place to stay in Pokhara is Hotel Hakoniwa – a lovely little hostel in the heart of the city!
Have we missed anything? Let us know in the comments below. Otherwise, enjoy your travels!
While Nepal can be very safe, it’s super important to make sure you get travel insurance!
Don’t forget to sort your travel insurance! We’ve put together a roundup of the best travel insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads now, our favourite travel insurance provider.
Getting an estimate from World Nomads is simple – just click the button or image below, fill out the necessary info, and you’re on your way!
Do you own an awesome hostel, hotel or apartment? Want to be featured in our list? Email [email protected] to find out how.
Yay for transparency! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, The Broke Backpacker will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps me keep the site going.