Yogyakarta is a fantastic city. It is bursting with history and charming, and is packed with action, adventure, food and fun! Ultimately, Yogyakarta is nothing short of a travellers’ paradise.
But, Yogyakarta has a lot of accommodations to choose from and some of the neighbourhoods don’t offer much to visitors. That’s why we put together this epic guide for where to stay in Yogyakarta.
This article was written with one purpose in mind – to help YOU find the best place to stay in Yogyakarta based on YOUR travel needs.
So whether you’re a culture vulture, a party animal, or are travelling with a flock of kids, our list of the best neighbourhoods in Yogyakarta will help you find the perfect place to stay to fit your goals and interest.
So, without further ado, here is our no-stress guide for where to stay in Yogyakarta, Indonesia.
Quick Tips – Where to Stay in Yogyakarta
- Where to stay in Yogyakarta first time – Malioboro
- Where to stay in Yogyakarta on a budget – Kraton
- Best area to stay in Yogyakarta for nightlife – Malioboro
- Coolest place to stay in Yogyakarta – Prawirotaman
- Best neighbourhood in Yogyakarta for families – The East
In a hurry? Here’s my top neighborhood for first timers:
- Sample your way through Malioboro’s street food scene
- See the stunning historical monument of Yogyakarta
- Snack on kue putu and onde-onde, two delicious local delicacies
Table of Contents
- Where to Stay in Yogyakarta
- Yogyakarta Neighborhood Guide
- Yogyakarta’s 5 Best Neighborhoods to Stay in
- #1 Malioboro – Where to Stay in Yogyakarta First Time
- #2 Kraton – Where to Stay in Yogyakarta on a Budget
- #3 Malioboro – Best Area to Stay in Yogyakarta for Nightlife
- #4 Prawirotaman – Coolest Place to Stay in Yogyakarta
- #5 The East – Best Neighbourhood in Yogyakarta for Families
Where to Stay in Yogyakarta
Looking for a specific place to stay? These are our highest recommendations for places to stay in Yogyakarta.
Best Hostel in Yogyakarta: Cozy Nest Hostel
The Cozy Nest Hostel is our pick for the best hostel in Yogyakarta. This peaceful and welcoming hostel is set near the heart of the city in the Kraton neighbourhood. It offers spacious private and dorm accommodations with shared bathrooms and refreshing fans. There’s also a shared kitchen, a pizza bar, and complimentary tea and coffee.
Best Hotel in Yogyakarta: Hotel Indies Heritage
This great hotel is located in the trendy Prawirotama neighbourhood and is our pick for the best hotel in Yogyakarta. It is close to hip cafes and eateries, independent shops and excellent art galleries. Rooms feature comfortable and clean beds, bottled water and tea/coffee facilities. They also provide an outdoor terrace and valet parking.
Yogyakarta Neighborhood Guide
Quick Summary: The Best Places to Stay in Yogyakarta
|Check Top HostelCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top HostelCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top HostelCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top HostelCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top HostelCheck Top Hotel|
Yogyakarta is a bustling and buzzing town located in the Central Java province of Indonesia. It is a major tourist destination thanks to its rich history and distinct culture, as well as its close proximity to renowned and sacred temples.
The capital city of the Yogyakarta Special Region, there is plenty to see and do in Yogyakarta from sightseeing and immersing yourself in history, to enjoying fresh and delicious food and incredible natural surroundings. The city covers an area of 46 square kilometres while the metropolitan area extends nearly 2,160 square kilometres. It is divided into 14 districts, which are further subdivided into interesting, lively and vibrant neighbourhoods.
This guide will explore the five best neighbourhoods to stay in Yogyakarta organized by interest.
Malioboro is the neighbour at the centre of the city. It is where you’ll find plenty of attractions and landmarks, as well as restaurants, cafes, bars and shops.
Travel south from here and you’ll arrive in Kraton. A haven for backpackers and travellers on a budget, this central neighbourhood offers a wide variety of attractions, activities and food, as well as good value accommodations.
Set southeast is Prawirotaman. The bohemian part of the city, this neighbourhood attracts artists, creatives, and hipsters with its shops, eateries and bistros, as well as its charming atmosphere.
And finally, to the east of the city centre is one of the most family friendly areas of Yogyakarta. Here you’ll find a myriad of animal attractions and outdoor adventures that are sure to entertain travellers of all ages.
Still not sure where to stay in Yogyakarta? Don’t worry – we’ve got you covered!
Yogyakarta’s 5 Best Neighborhoods to Stay in
In this next section, we’ll take a look, in more detail, at the five best neighbourhoods to stay in Yogyakarta. Each is a little different from the last, so be sure to pick the neighbourhood that’s the right fit for you!
Malioboro is the neighbourhood at the centre of Yogyakarta. It’s main street Malioboro Road is the most famous in the city and is a hub for tourism, shopping, nightlife and beyond. Here you can enjoy a variety of interesting activities, historical and cultural attractions as well as a myriad of delicious foods and drinks. That’s why Malioboro is our pick for where to stay in Yogyakarta if you’re visiting for the first time.
This is also the ideal place to stay if you’re looking to indulge in all the best food Yogyakarta has to offer. Not only will you find a variety of traditional Indonesian restaurants but dotted throughout the district are stalls selling cheap and delicious dishes and treats.
Things to See and Do in Malioboro
– Catch a one-of-a-kind Ramayana Ballet performance.
– Dive deep into the history of Yogyakarta at the Fort Vredeburg Museum.
– Explore the grounds of The Palace of Yogyakarta, a sultan’s palace that offers a unique and interesting architectural style.
– Head outside of the city and see the exquisite temples of Borobudur, Prambanan, and Ratu Boko.
– Sample your way through Malioboro’s street food scene.
– See the stunning historical monument of Yogyakarta.
– Shop until you drop at the boutiques and stores along Malioboro Road.
– Snack on kue putu and onde-onde, two delicious local delicacies.
– View great works of art at Jogja National Museum.
Best Hostel in Malioboro: The Packer Lodge Yogyakarta
This boutique hostel is ideally located at the heart of Yogyakarta. Its just steps from great historical and cultural attractions like the Palace of Yogyakarta, museums, restaurants and shops. This eco-hostel offers spacious rooms with modern amenities. They also provide free wifi, clean drinking water, laundry services and a tasty breakfast.
Best Hotel in Malioboro: Griya Desa Hotel and Pool
Griya Desa Hotel is our number one pick for where to stay in Malioboro. It is ideally located near the city’s most famous landmarks and is within walking distance of great shops and restaurants. It has 14 rooms with air conditioning and bottled water. There’s also a swimming pool and a tasty restaurant.
Best Hotel in Malioboro: Hotel 1001 Malam
Located at the centre of the city, this hotel is in close proximity to Malioboro Street and well-known tourist attractions and landmarks. It has unique rooms with free wifi, private bathrooms and bottled water. There’s also a library, a rooftop terrace, and laundry facilities, as well as a delicious restaurant.
Kraton is a neighbourhood in central Yogyakarta set just south of Malioboro. It is a hive of activity that attracts backpackers and travellers with its delicious food stalls, lively hawkers, and a unique display of neon illuminated cars.
A haven for backpackers, Kraton is our pick for where to stay in Yogyakarta if you’re travelling on a budget. This district is home to a good selection of hostels and hotels that provide clean, comfortable and safe accommodations at a very reasonable price. Who says you need to break the bank to enjoy the best of Yogyakarta!
Things to See and Do in Kraton
– Explore the underground labyrinth of tunnels at Gumuling Well.
– Pop by Warung Makan Khas Bali Putra and indulge in delicious local jogja dishes.
– See the Nirboyo Gate, one of the two remaining city gates.
– Sip tea and enjoy yummy food at the Water Castle Café.
– Spend a fun evening in Alun Alun Selatan, a bustling and buzzing nightlife attraction with street food stalls and neon cars.
– Try wedang uwuh, a traditional drink made of herbs, and many other scrumptious dishes at Bakmi Doring.
– Wander the ground of the Water Castle Tamansari, the site of a former royal garden of the Sultanate of Yogyakarta.
Best Hostel in Kraton: Cozy Nest Hostel
The Cozy Nest Hostel is our pick for where to stay in Kraton. This peaceful and welcoming hostel is set near the heart of the city. They offer spacious private and dorm accommodations with shared bathrooms and refreshing fans. There’s also a shared kitchen, a pizza bar, and complimentary tea and coffee.
Best Hotel in Kraton: Omah Pitoe
This charming hotel is located in central Yogyakarta. It is close to Malioboro Street and is within walking distance of Taman Sari and the Yogyakarta Fortress Museum. They offer comfortable and basic rooms with air conditioning and showers. There’s also wireless internet and express check-in/check-out.
Best Hotel in Kraton: Neo + Awana Yogyakarta
Located in buzzing and lively Kraton, this is one of our favourite hotels in the city. It offers a variety of modern amenities, like free wifi and an outdoor swimming pool. This hotel boasts 295 air-conditioned rooms with flat-screen TVs, satellite channels and private bathrooms. There’s also a tasty restaurant on-site.
In addition to being the cultural and touristic hub of the city, Malioboro is where you’ll find the best nightlife in Yogyakarta. Although the nightlife here isn’t as wild as in other cities in Asia, you’ll have access to a good selection of pubs, clubs and bars for an enjoyable night out.
Culture vultures visiting Yogyakarta won’t want to miss the opportunity to take in a Ramayana performance. Unlike anything you’ve seen before, Ramayana is a spectacular dance-drama that showcases the history of Javanese culture. A fantastic combination of dance, sport, drama and musical, you’ll be amazed by this incredible display.
Things to See and Do in Malioboro
– Browse the shops and stalls at the lively Beringharjo market.
– Choose from a wide selection of wines and drinks at cosy Vino Bar.
– Dig into a delicious plate of Indonesian food at Jaba Jero.
– Drink beer at Oxen Free.
– Dance, drink and party hard at Boshe VVIP Club.
– Eat fried pigeon, a signature dish at Lesehan Terang Bulan.
– Enjoy drinks and snacks at Lucifer.
– Grab a pint at TapHouse Beer.
– Hang out at Sakapatat Social House & Resto.
– Sample a famous charcoal coffee at Angkringan Lik Man.
– Sing your heart out at EC Executive Karaoke Yogyakarta.
– Sip wine at Blatz Lounge.
Best Hostel in Malioboro: Omah Cilik
Omah Cilik is a small and charming hostel located at the heart of the city. It is comprised of two dorm rooms and 10 beds and offers comfortable and cosy accommodations. The property boasts a spacious and social living room, a terrace and a small outdoor kitchen.
Best Hotel in Malioboro: Hotel Mataram 2 Malioboro
Thanks to its large rooms and wonderful staff, this is our pick for where to stay in Malioboro. This charming hotel is located at the heart of the city. It is within walking distance of Malioboro Mall and there are plenty of restaurants and cafes at its doorstep. Rooms have air conditioning and modern amenities.
Best Hotel in Malioboro: Grand Puri Saron Yogyakarta
This two-star hotel offers comfortable accommodations in central Yogyakarta. It provides complimentary wifi, a coffee bar and on-site dining options. Guests can enjoy relaxing on the outdoor terrace and unwinding with a drink at the lounge bar. With 47 air-conditioned rooms, you’ll enjoy a restful stay in Malioboro.
Prawirotaman is a small neighbourhood located south of the city centre. It’s one of the hippest neighbourhoods in Yogyakarta and is where you’ll find a vast array of trendy cafes, walls adorned with street art and plenty of hipster hotspots. If you’re someone who likes to stay at the centre of the action, look no further than Prawirotaman.
Arts aficionados will love exploring this eclectic district. Not only is it home to a myriad of colourful murals and interesting street art, but Prawirotaman is also where you’ll find a good selection of boutiques and galleries, as well as artists workshops and collaborative spaces. From beautiful batik to curious contemporary, Prawirotaman is bursting with colour and creativity.
Things to See and Do in Prawirotaman
– Choose from a range of European and Indonesian dishes at K’Meals Bar & Resto.
– Dine on tasty pad thai at Yam Yam.
– Eat, drink and enjoy ice cream at Move On Café.
– Enjoy a fun night of live music and drinks at Asmara Art & Coffee Shop.
– Excite your senses at The House of Sate.
– Grab a slice at Nanamia Pizzeria.
– Indulge in delicious Italian cuisines at Mediterranea Restaurant.
– Satisfy your sweet tooth at Mount Merapi Bistro & Bakery.
– See art galleries, display, performances and pieces by local artists at the Kedai Keun Forum Art Space.
– Tasty authentic Indonesian fare at Warung Handayani.
– Visit the Museum Perjuangan, which commemorates the struggles of the Indonesian people.
Best Hostel in Prawirotaman: Otu Hostel By Ostic
This excellent hostel is located in the trendy Prawirotaman neighbourhood. It is in close proximity to hip cafes and stylish bars as well as museums, galleries and landmarks. It offers a spacious common room, large and cosy bedrooms, and a swimming pool. They also provide a western or Indonesian breakfast for a small additional cost.
Best Hotel in Prawirotaman: Hotel Indies Heritage
This hotel is close to hip cafes and eateries, independent shops and excellent art galleries. Rooms feature comfortable and clean beds, bottled water and tea/coffee facilities. They also provide an outdoor terrace and valet parking. This is our recommendation for where to stay in Prawirotaman.
Best Hotel in Prawirotaman: Eclipse Hotel Yogyakarta
The Eclipse Hotel is ideally located in Yogyakarta. It is within walking distance of shopping, dining and nightlife options. Each room comes complete with a modern kitchenette, wifi, and a private bathroom. There’s also a swimming pool and sun deck, a restaurant and a relaxing lounge bar.
If you’re visiting Yogyakarta was your kids in tow, we highly recommend your stay in the eastern part of the city. Spanning a large area, the east of Yogyakarta is a fun and lively region that offers an interesting mix of activities and attractions. Here you have zoos and animals adventures as well as history, culture, food, cafes, nature adventures and so much more to keep every member of your family entertained and excited.
The eastern side of Yogyakarta is also a great base if you’re interested in exploring beyond the city. From here you can make your way into the mountains or down to the seashore. It’s also a good jumping off point for visiting the Borobudur, Prambanan, and Ratu Boko temples.
Things to See and Do in The East
– Discover regional arts and crafts in Kotagede a small village within the city.
– Eat tasty Indonesian dishes at Abhayagiri Restaurant.
– Enjoy a great lunch with a lovely view at Omah Dhuwur Restaurant.
– Excite your taste buds at Cubic Kitchen & Bar.
– Explore the grounds of Situs Warungboto.
– Get up close and personal with your favourite animals, reptiles, fish and birds at the Gembira Loka Zoo.
– Kick the ball around at the Bardosono Happy Futsal stadium.
– Let your imagination run wild at De Mata Trick Eye Museum.
– Sample a wide range of tasty dishes at Ayam Goreng Ny. Suharti.
– Swim, jump, splash and play at the massive Galaxy Waterpark.
Best Hostel in The East: Bhumi Hostel
Bhumi hostel is the perfect base for backpackers, travellers and adventurous spirits. It is conveniently located in Yogyakarta and is in close proximity to tourist attractions, restaurants and cafes. They offer comfortable beds, free breakfast, and a unique atmosphere. There’s also a permaculture organic garden on-site.
Best Hotel in The East: POP Hotel Timoho
This charming two-star hotel gets our vote for where to stay in the east of Yogyakarta. This property is comprised of 126 rooms with air conditioning, flat-screen TVs and modern amenities. They also provide free wifi and ample places to work – perfect for digital nomads.
Best Hotel in The East: Favehotel Kusumanegara
Located in Yogyakarta, this three-star hotel makes an excellent base for exploring the city. It is close to restaurants and cafes and is a short distance to the Yogyakarta Fortress Museum and Gembira Loka Zoo. This hotel has modern rooms. Guests can also enjoy a coffee bar and massage services.
Final Thoughts on Where to Stay in Yogyakarta
Yogyakarta is a fantastic city packed with action and adventure. It has a rich history and diverse culture and is where you can enjoy a variety of flavourful foods, unique arts, and stunning nature. So whether you’re a culture vulture, a party animal, or an outdoor adventurer, Yogyakarta is a city that is well worth a place on your Indonesia travel itinerary.
To recap; Cozy Nest Hostel in Kraton is our pick for the best hotel. They offer spacious rooms, comfortable beds and an on-site pizza bar.
Our recommendation for the best hotel is the Hotel Indies Heritage. Set in trendy Prawirotaman, this hotel is close to hip cafes and eateries has modern rooms and a relaxing outdoor terrace.
Don’t forget to sort your travel insurance! We’ve put together a roundup of the best travel insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads now, our favourite travel insurance provider.
Do you own an awesome hostel, hotel or apartment? Want to be featured in our list? Email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out how.
Yay for transparency! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, The Broke Backpacker will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps me keep the site going.
Need More Inspiration?
- Backpacking Southeast Asia
- Backpacking Indonesia on a Budget
- Where to Stay in Bali • The No Stress Guide