Annecy takes all the best things about traveling in France and puts them into one city! With hiking trails snaking through the countryside and centuries-old castles in the heart of the city, you will quickly realize that a few days is not enough to do Annecy justice.
There’s no need to feel guilty if you want to take it slow for a few days. Whether you’re in search of rich history, action-packed outdoor adventures, or culinary delights, this city has something for you!
The only major drawback about traveling to Annecy is the lack of budget hostels for many of you backpackers out there. With practically no dorm beds available in town, is it possible for budget travelers to enjoy Annecy while saving money?
If you want to experience all the beauty of southern France for yourself, let us save you some time by showing you the best hostels in Annecy! With all the cheapest hostels and guesthouses in one place, you can book with the confidence that you’ll be getting the best deals in the old city.
Quick Answer: The Best Hostels in Annecy
- Overall Best Hostel in Annecy – Hotel du Chateau
- Best Hostel for Solo Travelers in Annecy – Pink House Hostel
- Best Cheap Hostel in Annecy – Centre Jean XXIII
- Best Hostel for Couples in Annecy – Le Flamboyant
- Best Party Hostel in Annecy – Annecy Hostel
- Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Annecy – Ibis Budget Annecy
The Best Hostels in Annecy
If you’re backpacking France, stopping over in Annecy is definitely worth it if you’re a food lover and s sucker for charming cities. The romantic, winding streets with their cute cafes lie in wait for you in Annecy.
There are many awesome hostels in France, unfortunately, not many of them can be found in Annecy. So before you can hop on your bike and cycle around the lake, you’ll have to find that budget hotel in Annecy that best fits how you like to travel. With each stay a little different from the next, keep your eyes open for the hotel will help you enjoy Annecy to the fullest!
Best Overall Hostel in Annecy – Hotel du Chateau
– Breakfast 10 USD
– Shared Kitchen
– Outdoor Terrace
Once you see the sunny terrace offering stunning views over the old town and its castles, you’ll be rushing to book your stay in the Hotel du Chateau. We know you’ll be spending most of your time relaxing on the patio with views of the city skyline, but that’s just the beginning of everything this budget guesthouse in Annecy has to offer.
With cozy rooms at a budget price, you couldn’t ask for a better place in the old town for a backpacker. If you’re looking to save some extra money, you could even cook up your own meal at the onsite shared kitchen. With the location putting you just a few steps away from the Church of St. Francis and Chateau d’Annecy, you’ll be staying in the beating heart of the cultural center of the city!
Best Hostel for Solo Travelers in Annecy – Pink House Hostel
Being one of the only proper backpacker’s hostels in Annecy, solo travelers will find themselves right at home at the Pink House Hostel! After traveling on the road alone throughout Europe, the Pink House Hostel is the best place in Annecy to kick back and hang out with like-minded backpackers. You won’t only be meeting up in the dorm rooms either.
Pink House Hostel is all about socializing, so that means you’ll have tons of places to chill, such as the onsite bar, restaurant, and outdoor terrace. With everything from table tennis to burgers, this youth hostel in Annecy will check all the boxes for any traveler!
Best Cheap Hostel in Annecy – Centre Jean XXIII
– Breakfast Included
With no hostels in Annecy, what’s a backpacker to do when they want to save money but still experience some of the most breathtaking scenery in France? If you want to go as cheap as you can go in this historic city, there’s no better place to book yourself into than Centre Jean XXIII.
This budget stay is one of the cheapest hotels in Annecy. But just because you’re getting a deal doesn’t mean you’ll be giving up any of the comforts. With its very own shared lounge, you can relax in style while hanging out at the hotel. Top it off with an onsite restaurant and a free breakfast every morning, there’s no other place in Annecy where you can get so much bang for your buck!
Best Hostel for Couples in Annecy – Le Flamboyant
– Breakfast 13 USD
– Outdoor Terrace
Save the rest of Europe for budget hostels in dorm rooms; Annecy is a city where you should splurge a little and enjoy the finer things in life. Especially if you are a couple, you will find this old city nestled beside the lake is the perfect place to turn on the romance. Le Flamboyant is a cozy hotel surrounded by spectacular mountain ranges, and the inside is nothing short of regal.
Sit by the fireplace or grab a drink at the bar; you’ll be living a life of luxury at this one of a kind guesthouse. While the lounges and terrace will have you falling in love all over again, the real way to someone’s heart is through their stomach. Luckily, there’s a fantastic onsite restaurant at Le Flamboyant!
The GRAYL GEOPRESS water bottle is the ONLY all-in-one filter water bottle setup you'll need. Whether you need to purify the water from a hostel sink in Kathmandu or a stream trickle in the Andes, the Geopress has got you covered. Check out our full review here for more convincing.
Best Party Hostel in Annecy – Annecy Hostel
In a town full of upscale boutique hotels, you’ll be delighted to know that there is one place in Annecy where you can truly let loose and party until the break of dawn. Annecy Hostel is one of the few places in town where you can not only get a cheap place to sleep, but also hang out with fellow backpackers!
With its locally famous Woodstock Bar, you’ll be getting drink deals and an experience unlike any other while you are eating and chugging to your heart’s content! Annecy Hostel isn’t only about the booze; the hostel will also hook you up with discount tours, taking you paragliding and kayaking through the most beautiful scenery in all of Annecy!
Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Annecy – Ibis Budget Annecy
– Breakfast 7 USD
– Outdoor Terrace
Backpacker or not, we all no Ibis is a name you can trust. With its budget rooms and high level of comfort, you’ll be treating yourself to the star treatment while exploring Annecy. If you’re a digital nomad, you’ll want to connect to that internet and get to work.
You’ll find cozy rooms with office space and even an outdoor terrace to spread out in, as well as a cafe serving a delicious breakfast. Ibis Budget Annecy will help you save money and enjoy the high life!
– Breakfast – 9.50 Euro
Putting you just ten minutes away from the shores of Lake Annecy, you couldn’t ask for a better location! Adonis Annecy is a cheap hotel that will hook up weary backpackers with a private room still well within your budget!
Other than the spacious yet homey rooms, Adonis Annecy also has its very own lounge where you can sit back, relax, and chat with the other guests. Top things off with an onsite cafe serving breakfast, and Adonis Annecy secures its spot as one of the best budget hotels in Annecy!
What to Pack for your Annecy Hostel
Pants, socks, underwear… Here are some other items you might not have thought to pack.
1. Active Roots Microfiber Towel: Having your own towel on your travels is a game changer. The Active Roots Microfiber Towel is perfect for travellers who are looking for a lightweight, quick-drying and extremely soft option. The antibacterial material is super water-absorbent and resists odor buildup because of its antimicrobial material. Ain’t technology cool?
2. Playing Cards: These waterproof cards are essential kit for every backpacker. Play by the pool, beach or at your hostel after a long day with travel buds, without your cards breaking or getting soaked. And once you pull out those cards, the chance that you’ll be the hero of the night is pretty high (no promises though).
3. Power Bank: Probably one of the most important travel accessories – a decent power bank. Charging your phone up to 5 times in a row, the Anker Power Bank is a true lifesaver on long adventures or bus rides. Slick looking, handy and not too big, it easily fits in even the smallest travel bag or your pocket. Charge 2 devices at the same time with the double USB port.
4. Headphone Splitter: Don’t be those awkward people sharing one earbud on the bus, as you show off your in-depth music knowledge to your new friend. A headphone splitter is a great item to bring traveling, it works fantastic on those long bus rides or easy dorm Netflix nights when you want to relax and connect with someone.
5. Active Roots Water Bottle: Sturdy and durable, the Active Roots water bottle survives the roughest adventures while keeping your drink cold or hot for at least 24 hours. Vacuum-sealed and made from stainless steel, the bottle can fit 25oz, which is plenty to keep you hydrated. Super cool bonus: the bottle isn’t just super useful, it helps to reduce the single-use plastic waste – save the planet by filling up your bottle.
6. Padlock: Theft happens in hostels, so keep a padlock to clip on your locker. This padlock can also double to keep your pack shut while in-transit. No need for keys (which can easily be lost or stolen too), you just have to remember a three-digit number to unlock your travel essentials.
Why you should travel to Annecy
You’ll be hiking along the lake and devouring plates full of cheese before you know it. But what will really make your holiday truly one for the books is the hotel you book yourself into. Some stays put you right in the heart of the action, while others take you to a more rustic setting in the outskirts of town. The hotel you check into will set the tone of your trip.
Are you still a bit unsure about where to stay in Annecy? Let’s help move you along so you can get back to choosing what cafes to chill at first. If you’re looking for a hotel that checks all the boxes, be sure to stay at Hotel du Chateau, our pick for the best hostel in Annecy.
And don’t forget to sort your travel insurance before heading to Annecy! France might be safe, but you never know what could happen. We’ve put together a roundup of the best travel insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads, our favorite travel insurance provider.
Getting an estimate from World Nomads is simple – just click the button or image below, fill out the necessary info, and you’re on your way!
Over to you
The mountains, lakes, forests, and rivers are just a fraction of the beauty found in Annecy. On top of all of the natural wonders found around the city, Annecy’s charming old town is a romantic village only found in the pages of fairy tales. With its cobbled streets, cafes cooking up mouth-watering dishes, and activities that immerse you in the wild country of southern France, Annecy will show you a different adventure every day!
Annecy is well known for having the cleanest water in the world – and some of the most lavish hotels. This means that it’s difficult – but not impossible – for backpackers to find cheap hostels inside the city. Annecy has tons to do in the old town, and it would be a shame not to be able to enjoy this place just because you’re a backpacker. Luckily, with several cheap hotels around the city, you can still go out on Lake Annecy and stay on a budget.
If you’ve ever traveled to Annecy, we’d love to hear about your trip! Let us know in the comments below if there are any top hostels in Annecy we may have missed!
Do you own or run a kick ass hostel? Want to be featured in this list? Get in touch at [email protected]
Yay for transparency! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, The Broke Backpacker will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps keep the site going.