Located on the banks of the Rhine River in Switzerland, you can’t get much closer to stepping into the pages of a fairy tale than by traveling to Basel! This Swiss wonderland will have you living in a dream as you explore the colorful dollhouse style architecture, large city squares, and towering gothic cathedrals. The only thing more famous than the history in Basel is the art. Home to many of Europe’s most famous galleries and festivals, there is no better place to dive into the world of modern art than Basel!
Being a little bit off of the beaten path in Europe, you will find expensive guest houses and just a handful of backpackers hostels that will have you spending an arm and a leg. With the lack of cheap options in Basel does that mean the city is no place for backpackers traveling on a shoestring?
That is exactly why we made this one-stop guide! Now you can find all of the best hostels in Basel in one place, saving you both time and energy!
Slip-on your walking shoes, you are about to embark on a journey through the art galleries and history of Basel!
Quick Answer: The Best Hostels in Basel
- Overall Best Hostel in Basel – Silo Soulfood Hostel
- Best Hostel for Solo Travelers in Basel – Hyve Hostel Basel
- Best Cheap Hostel in Basel – Basel Backpack
- Best Hostel for Couples in Basel – Aaron’s Sleep-Well B&B
- Best Party Hostel in Basel – Youth Hostel Basel
- Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Basel – Hotel Alfa
The Best Hostels in Basel
All the museums and cobbled streets await you at the bottom of our list! Before you can begin exploring Basel, you will first have to find that perfect hostel to call home. With each stay a bit different from the next, keep your eyes peeled for the one that fits how you like to travel!
Best Overall Hostel in Basel – Silo Soulfood Hostel
- Breakfast – 16 USD
There is not one hostel in all of Basel that better embodies the city’s artsy style than Silo Soulfood Hostel! With its minimalist style and one of a kind design, the mere architecture of this hostel makes it into a work of art itself! The circular windows, wide-open corridors, and the quirky atmosphere is all something you have to see to believe! Silo Soulfood Hostel offers so much more than just a one of a kind experience, they will also keep you full and happy with their onsite cafe serving up a delicious breakfast every morning!
Best Hostel for Solo Travelers in Basel – Hyve Hostel Basel
- Coffee Shop
- Shared Kitchen
Get ready to melt into the cushion and kick back and relax in one of the most charming stays in all of Basel! Hyve Hostel has a homey design that will be giving you ideas to take to your own house after your trip is over! With its inviting lounges and outdoor terrace, there is no better place to just hang out and chat with the other backpackers. If you are feeling a bit hungry or are just wanting a nice cup of coffee to wake up in the morning, Hyve Hostel also has its very own coffee shop and even a shared kitchen!
Best Cheap Hostel in Basel – Basel Backpack
As you may have already guessed, Basel is not a cheap city to travel to. So if you are wanting to explore all the history and museums of this hub of modern art, you will want to be sure to stay at Basel Backpack! This backpackers hostel, situated in an old renovated factory, will have you staying in the cheapest dorm beds in all of Basel! With its sunny rooms, lounge, and even an outdoor terrace, this hostel will take your list and check all of the boxes! If you are feeling a bit hungry or are wanting to grab something to drink, Basel Backpack will also hook you up with their onsite bar and cafe!
Best Hostel for Couples in Basel – Aaron’s Sleep-Well B&B
After you and your squeeze have been on the road for a while, you will probably want to leave the hostels behind for a few days and check into a guesthouse where couples can get some much needed alone time. Aaron’s Sleep-Well B&B will have you staying in some of the cheapest private rooms in Basel, far enough away from the city to get some peace and quiet but still close enough to explore all of the sights! Complete with its very own outdoor patio and even a lounge, when you decide you have had enough time cuddling in your room, you will have tons of room to spread out in and relax!
Single-use plastic bottles are a huge threat to Marine Life – Be a part of the solution and travel with a filter water bottle.
The GRAYL GEOPRESS water bottle is the ONLY all-in-one filter water bottle setup you’ll need. Whether you need to purify the water from a hostel sink in Kathmandu or a stream trickle in the Andes, the Geopress has got you covered.
Read our full review of the GRAYL GEOPRESS!
Best Party Hostel in Basel – Youth Hostel Basel
Much like the rest of the city, Youth Hostel Basel’s building alone reflects the artistic nature of this unique city! From the floor to ceiling windows to the curved walls of the dining room, this backpacker’s hostel will give you a truly one of a kind experience! When you aren’t awing at the architecture, Youth Hostel Basel Will hook you up with everything from a cafe to order a meal and a bar to grab a beer to end the night in style. You will also find that you have plenty of space to kick back and relax in at this hostel with their spacious lounges and outdoor terrace. Located in Dalbedych, you could not ask for a better location near all the best sites such as the Basel Zoo and the historic old town!
Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Basel – Hotel Alfa
- Breakfast – 16 USD
For around the same price as a dorm room at one of the hostels in Basel, you can upgrade yourself to some of the cheapest and nicest hotel rooms in town without paying all that much more. Perfect for all you digital nomads out there, Hotel Alfa will give you a 4-star experience for the very same price as a backpacker’s hostel. With its spacious homey private rooms, you will find that there is no better place to catch up on some much-needed writing or editing. What will really win you over is the onsite bar and cafe, bringing all the best food and drinks in Basel straight to your door.
Psst! Heading to a hostel? Don’t forget to pack a padlock! It’s well worth having one so you can secure your locker and protect your stuff!
More of the Best Hostels in Basel
- Shared Kitchen
One of the best places to stay in Basel if you are looking to walk in the shoes of a local and save some extra money is to actually stay in a BnB. At this homey stay located just minutes away from the old town, you will find your long lost home away from home in Basel. With its tastefully decorated rooms, a relaxing living room, a lush garden, and even a shared kitchen, this stay is perfect for travelers looking to pretend they are moving right into Basel. Complete with wine and juices available at the house, you will get all the best of both a BnB and a hotel!
What to Pack for your Basel Hostel
Pants, socks, underwear… Here are some other items you might not have thought to pack.
1. Active Roots Water Bottle: Hostels are increasingly meeting backpackers’ demands for potable (drinkable) water. Now is better than ever to start traveling with a reusable water bottle! Aside from cutting down single-use plastic, The Active Roots stainless steel water bottle will also keep your favorite beverage hot or cold all day long and it’s sized perfectly to fit an entire bottle of wine. ‘Nuff said.
2. Power Bank: Everyone knows the mini heart attack when your phone is about to run out of power. Surviving long bus rides without charging stations can be agonizing, which is why every backpacker should have this Anker Power Bank. You can charge your phone up to 5 times, or plug in two devices simultaneously. With high-speed charging and enough power to keep you going for days, you can conquer even the biggest adventures without a problem.
3. Active Roots Microfiber Towel: Quick-drying, lightweight, super soft and compact – the Active Roots Microfiber Towel is essential for every backpacker. No need to use the scabby towels your hostel may or may not provide! Use it for drying off, as a yoga towel or even as a picnic blanket – the options don’t stop here. Made of antibacterial material, you don’t have to worry about your towel starting to smell unpleasant either after lots of use.
4. Headphone Splitter: Being stuck on a bus or plane with only one phone that has good music or shows downloaded can be pretty annoying if your travel buddy wants to share headphones. With this Headphone Splitter, you won’t have to listen with only one ear anymore. Your friend can plug in their headphones at the same time, so both of you are entertained (on both ears!).
5. Universal Travel Adapter: This universal travel adapter charges your devices in (pretty much) every country – definitely a lifesaver when travelling around the world. The plug also regulates the power output depending on which device you’re charging. No more fried hair dryers or electric razors!
6. Playing Cards: These waterproof cards are essential kit for every backpacker. Play by the pool, beach or at your hostel after a long day with travel buds, without your cards breaking or getting soaked. And once you pull out those cards, the chance that you’ll be the hero of the night is pretty high (no promises though).
Why you should travel to Basel
The modern art galleries, romantic city streets, and life teeming in every corner of the city, if you were to die Basel could be easily confused with heaven. Unfortunately, the pearly gates come with a price. With a lack of budget hostels and guesthouses in Basel, you may be left feeling like you have nowhere to turn. Lucky for you, we made this list of all the top hostels in Basel!
Are you feeling a bit torn between two or three great places to stay in Basel? We can totally understand! If you are wanting a one of a kind, unique stay in Basel, there is no better place to call home than Silo Soulfood Hostel, our pick for the best hostel in Basel!
Over to you
If you are even moderately interested in art, Basel will turn you into a full-blown fanatic! With its many art galleries, museums, and events that turn all eyes on this small Swiss city, Basel is a city that will raise the bar when it comes to exploring the world of modern art. The fun doesn’t stop there. With the city’s rich history, awe-inspiring architecture, and quaint winding lanes, Basel is a city where merely walking down the street is an adventure in itself!
It won’t take too much to get you sold on traveling to this trendy city, but once you start searching for cheap backpacker’s hostels in Basel, you may feel your heart start to break. Little do many know, you can still travel on a budget in one of the many hostels and guesthouses we found in the heart of this Swiss city!
If you have ever traveled to Basel, we would love to hear about any great backpackers hostels we may have missed. Tell us more in the comments below!
And don’t forget Travel Insurance! We’ve put together a roundup of Travel Insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads, our favorite travel insurance provider.
Getting an estimate from World Nomads is simple – just click the button or image below, fill out the necessary info, and you’re on your way!
Do you own or run a kick ass hostel? Want to be featured in this list? Get in touch at [email protected]
Yay for transparency! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, The Broke Backpacker will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you . Your support helps keep the site going.