Breathtaking beaches, Roman ruins, looming volcanoes, and pristine resistance architecture; it’s not every day you get the chance to explore everything from museums and castles to beaches and night clubs in one place. So welcome to Catania in Sicily! Arguably the most beautiful region in all of Italy, Catania has everything that you could ever want out of your European holiday. With its rich history, mouthwatering food, hikes leading you into the idyllic countryside, and piazzas showcasing typical Sycillian life, you will be both going local and living a life of luxury throughout your adventure in Catania!
It won’t take too much to convince you to get on the first plane or boat to the south of Italy to check out Catania for yourself, but one thing that may have you stumped is where to stay. As a backpacker, you’ll have to look at the price, atmosphere, and location of your hostel. With so many great places to choose from in Catania, you could easily spend hours browsing through the various dorm rooms throughout the city.
Let us save you some time and get you back to what beaches to hit up first. We gathered all the best hostels in Catania into one place so you can book with the confidence that you’ll be staying in only the top places in Sicily!
No matter if you want to hit the museums or hit the beach, Catania is a destination that is sure to knock your socks off!
Quick Answer: The Best Hostels in Catania
- Overall Best Hostel in Catania – The Yard Hostel
- Best Hostel for Solo Travelers in Catania – UrbanPop
- Best Cheap Hostel in Catania – City-in Hostel
- Best Hostel for Couples in Catania – Globetrotter Catania
- Best Party Hostel in Catania – Ostello degli Elefanti
- Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Catania – Casa Verdi – House of Travelers
The Best Hostels in Catania
If you’re visiting Italy and want to avoid the crowds then Catania is a good shout. We know you can’t wait to hike up to the top of the historic Castello Ursino and take a dip into the Mediterranean. But first, you’ll need to find that perfect place to base yourself out of in Catania. With each stay a little different from the next, be sure to keep your eyes open for the hostel that best fits how you like to travel!
Best Overall Hostel in Catania – The Yard Hostel
- Free Breakfast
- Outdoor Terrace
The Yard Hostel in Catania tops the list of the best places to stay in all of Sicily. This youthful and trendy hostel is decorated colorfully and is full of room to spread out and hang out with the other guests. Putting you right in the heart of the city, you can easily reach all the best bars, sites, and shops right from your door! But what really separates The Yard Hostel from the rest is all the extra perks.
Not only do you have creative spaces where you can hang out, but this backpacker’s hostel also has an outdoor terrace, a shared kitchen, and a games room. Looking to grab a bite to eat or drink? The Yard Hostel even has an onsite bar and restaurant.
Best Hostel for Solo Travelers in Catania – UrbanPop
- Shared Kitchen
- Free Breakfast
Have you been on the road for a while and are looking for a backpacker’s hostel where you can just kick back and meet other backpackers? There’s no better place in all of Catania for solo travelers to socialize with other guests than Urban Pop! With all the relaxing atmosphere of a youth hostel and the charm of a bed and breakfast, Urban Pop gives you the best of both worlds. What will really have you sold on this backpacker’s hostel is the location, right by all the best sites in Catania.
With a shared kitchen and free breakfast every morning, you’ll be leaping out of bed each morning to get a hot meal before starting your day!
Best Cheap Hostel in Catania – City-in Hostel
- Shared Kitchen
- Outdoor Terrace
For any backpacker, Europe is not a cheap region to be traveling through. You can easily spend an arm and a leg every day of your journey, especially with the tourist hubs found around Italy. Why not save a bit of extra cash in Catania by staying at City-in Hostel. Hooking you up with cheap rooms is just the beginning; this youth hostel will give you a bed and breakfast style experience while housing you in a laidback backpacker’s atmosphere.
You’ll find tons of restaurants and bars by the hostel, but if you want to stay close to home and save even more money, you’ll have access to a shared kitchen and even a cafe at the City-in Hostel B&B!
Best Hostel for Couples in Catania – Globetrotter Catania
- Breakfast Not Included
Catania is one of the most romantic places on the planet, so you definitely won’t want to be confined to a dorm room with your partner. Why not book yourself into this cozy bed and breakfast that fits the budget of any traveler? With private rooms for around the same price that you’d find at a hostel, Globetrotter Catania will have you relaxing with all the comforts of home.
Not only will you be sleeping on cloud nine at Globetrotter Catania, but this stay also has an outdoor terrace perfect for relaxing after a long day of sightseeing. Complete with a cafe serving up a delicious breakfast every morning, you’ll have everything you need to make this trip a holiday to remember!
Single-use plastic bottles are a huge threat to Marine Life – Be a part of the solution and travel with a filter water bottle.
The GRAYL GEOPRESS water bottle is the ONLY all-in-one filter water bottle setup you’ll need. Whether you need to purify the water from a hostel sink in Kathmandu or a stream trickle in the Andes, the Geopress has got you covered.
Read our full review of the GRAYL GEOPRESS!
Best Party Hostel in Catania – Ostello degli Elefanti
- Free Breakfast
- Rooftop Terrace
At Ostello degli Elefanti, you’ll be sipping on wine and drinking beers in style. Situated in music and art rooms with a history stretching back to the 1600s, you can party in a slice of local history! Not only is the hostel a part of Catania’s heritage, but you’ll also find some of the best sites located right nearby. With a rooftop terrace offering breathtaking views of the city and a laid back atmosphere perfect for relaxing and chatting with other guests, there’s no better hostel to take in the beauty of Catania while socializing.
Top things off with a bar and free breakfast served every morning, and you’ll never want to check out of Ostello degli Elefanti!
Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Catania – Casa Verdi – House of Travelers
- Breakfast Not Included
Have you been on the road traveling so much you haven’t found time to open up that laptop and get back to work? If you’re a digital nomad, there’s no better place to base yourself at in Catania than Casa Verdi, also known as the House of Travelers. At this backpacker’s hostel, not only will you score cheap beds perfect for the average budget traveler, but you’ll also have tons of room to spread out in and get to work.
With a lounge and an outdoor terrace, you can take in the sunshine or lounge about on the sofa, depending on your mood! Although you have tons of places to eat at nearby, Casa Verdi also has its very own cafe where you can order a delicious meal!
Psst! Heading to a hostel? Don’t forget to pack a padlock! It’s well worth having one so you can secure your locker and protect your stuff!
More of the Best Hostels in Catania
- Free Breakfast
Putting you just a few steps away from the famous fish market and Piazza Duomo, Eco Hostel will have you staying in the thick of the action of downtown Catania. But the location is just the beginning! This backpacker’s hostel ditches the dull old dorm rooms and gives you your very own pod! With twice the comfort and privacy of your average dorm bed, you get added privacy for the same price! When you’re not getting some shut-eye, Eco Hostel will make sure to start every day right with a free breakfast, and bring every perfect day in Catania to a close with a drink from their onsite bar!
What to Pack for your Catania Hostel
Pants, socks, underwear… Here are some other items you might not have thought to pack.
1. TRTL Travel Pillow: Long flights and bus rides are quite uncomfortable (most obvious statement of the day). Most travel pillows… Well, you know how they are. TRTL travel pillow is different. I mean, look at it! It’ll cuddle you to sleep every ride and it does a pretty damn good job of supporting your neck so you don’t get that stiffness or legendary popping when you stir.
2. Active Roots Water Bottle: Hostels are increasingly meeting backpackers’ demands for potable (drinkable) water. Now is better than ever to start traveling with a reusable water bottle! Aside from cutting down single-use plastic, The Active Roots stainless steel water bottle will also keep your favorite beverage hot or cold all day long and it’s sized perfectly to fit an entire bottle of wine. ‘Nuff said.
3. Active Roots Microfiber Towel: Quick-drying, lightweight, super soft and compact – the Active Roots Microfiber Towel is essential for every backpacker. No need to use the scabby towels your hostel may or may not provide! Use it for drying off, as a yoga towel or even as a picnic blanket – the options don’t stop here. Made of antibacterial material, you don’t have to worry about your towel starting to smell unpleasant either after lots of use.
4. Universal Travel Adapter: Not every country has the same electrical plug style, so carry along a universal travel adapter. You’ll want one that covers varying voltage levels, has protection from power surges, a fried laptop is not fun, and enough ports so you don’t have to spend all day individually charging your devices.
5. Power Bank: Everyone knows the mini heart attack when your phone is about to run out of power. Surviving long bus rides without charging stations can be agonizing, which is why every backpacker should have this Anker Power Bank. You can charge your phone up to 5 times, or plug in two devices simultaneously. With high-speed charging and enough power to keep you going for days, you can conquer even the biggest adventures without a problem.
6. Headphone Splitter: Being stuck on a bus or plane with only one phone that has good music or shows downloaded can be pretty annoying if your travel buddy wants to share headphones. With this Headphone Splitter, you won’t have to listen with only one ear anymore. Your friend can plug in their headphones at the same time, so both of you are entertained (on both ears!).
Why you should travel to Catania
From the bars to the beaches, there are so many different ways to enjoy Catania. With days spent wandering the Roman Theatre and nights spent tearing up the dancefloor, you can be sure that no two days in Catania will ever be the same. And the fun will always begin from your backpacker’s hostel!
If you still haven’t decided which hostel to book yourself into, let us point you in the right direction. If you’re looking for that one stay that will tick all the boxes, why not check into The Yard Hostel, our pick for the best hostel in Catania!
And don’t forget Travel Insurance! We’ve put together a roundup of Travel Insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads, our favorite travel insurance provider.
Getting an estimate from World Nomads is simple – just click the button or image below, fill out the necessary info, and you’re on your way!
Over to you
Catania is not just a stopover on an extended trip across Italy. You’ll quickly come to realize that the second-largest city in Sicily packs quite a punch, and not even an entire week can do Catania justice! With hikes in the national park taking you to some of the most stunning views of Mount Etna, and boat rides that will have you taking in the crystal clear waters of the Mediterranean, no place on the planet offers as much diverse beauty. With its Roman history and insane modern nightlife, you can be a bookworm by day and a party animal by night! No matter what kind of traveler you are, Catania has something for you.
The hostel you choose to call home will truly set the tone for your entire trip to Sicily. Will you be taking the party from your dorm room to the dance floor, or will you have quiet nights relaxing in the lounge chatting over a few beers? Depending on what backpacker’s hostel you check into, your trip will be vastly different.
Have you ever traveled to Catania? We would love to hear about your trip! Let us know in the comments below if there are any great backpacker’s hostels we may have missed!
Do you own or run a kick ass hostel? Want to be featured in this list? Get in touch at [email protected]
“Find out how YOU can support the site. We work hard to put out the best backpacker resources on the web, for free! It’s all about helping out our tribe of awesome backpacker readers [that’s you!]. Please visit the link to find out how you can help keep the site going 🙂
For the sake of transparency, some of the links in our content are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation, buy a book or sort your insurance, we earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. I only link to stuff I’ve actually used and never endorse products or services that are not up to scratch. Thanks for your support.