Step back into the past and get in touch with the true beating heart of Mexico in San Cristobal! In this charming city, the cobbled streets, centuries-old architecture, gorgeous cathedrals, and lively city squares are just a few of the things that top the list of what makes San Cristobal a pilgrimage site for travelers around the world! Blending all the convenience of the city and the idyllic charm of the countryside, San Cristobal is the perfect base for learning about indigenous cultures in Central America, and witnessing a more authentic side of Mexico!
San Cristobal is no stranger to tourists and for a good reason. The gorgeous city streets and more candid look at a normal life in Mexico are more than enough to have you adding this city to your itinerary! When you start looking up backpacker’s hostels, however, you may find yourself overwhelmed with the sheer number of stays found in this city!
Booking into that perfect backpacker’s hostel has never been easier! We have compiled a list of all the best hostels in San Cristobal to save you both time and money!
The museums, historic streets, and villas are waiting, all you have to do is scroll down to the top hostels in San Cristobal!
Quick Answer: The Best Hostels in San Cristobal
- Overall Best Hostel in San Cristobal – Posada del Abuelito
- Best Hostel for Solo Travelers in San Cristobal – Puerta Vieja Hostel
- Best Cheap Hostel in San Cristobal – Deja Vu Hostel
- Best Hostel for Couples in San Cristobal – La Abuelita Hostel & Terraza
- Best Party Hostel in San Cristobal – Hostel La Isla
- Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in San Cristobal – Snail Hostel
The Best Hostels in San Cristobal
We know you can’t wait to head down to all the beauty and history of San Cristobal, but before you can pull your cameras out you will first have to book yourself into that hostel that will set the tone for your trip! With each stay a little different from the next, keep your eyes open for that hostel perfect for you!
Best Overall Hostel in San Cristobal – Posada del Abuelito
– Breakfast Included
– Shared Kitchen
Posada del Abuelito is so much more than just a cheap place to rest your head in San Cristobal, this backpackers hostel will have you staying right by the old Zócalo, close to all the best boutique shops and handicraft stores in town! It’s not just the sights of the downtown that are close by, this youth hostel also will hook you up with tours that will take you out to the countryside to explore coffee plantations and hiking trails! When you are back at the hostel, you will also find plenty of things to make you feel right at home. With a shared kitchen, lounge, and a cafe serving up free breakfast, you will have everything you need to make memories in An Cristobal that will last a lifetime!
Best Hostel for Solo Travelers in San Cristobal – Puerta Vieja Hostel
– Nightly Events
– Breakfast Included
After being on the road for a while, you will probably be wanting to find a backpackers hostel where you can kick back and hang out with other backpackers. There is no better place to chat with other backpackers in San Cristobal than Puerta Vieja Hostel! With over three lounges, this youth hostel makes for the perfect place to kick back, relax and simply hang out. Other than being one of the most social hostels in all of San Cristobal, Puerta Vieja Hostel is also home to many daily events with everything from dance classes to movie nights!
Best Cheap Hostel in San Cristobal – Deja Vu Hostel
– Shared Kitchen
No matter if you are a budget traveler or someone looking to stay on the road for as long as possible, you will be wanting to save all the money you can while traveling through San Cristobal. Lucky for you Deja Vu Hostel will hook you up with the cheapest dorm beds in all of the city! Deja Vu Hostel is so much more than a budget dorm room, however, with its boutique vibes, onsite bar, shared kitchen, and even a cafe, you will find that this hostel literally checks all of the boxes for what you’d want out of a backpackers paradise!
The GRAYL GEOPRESS water bottle is the ONLY all-in-one filter water bottle setup you'll need. Whether you need to purify the water from a hostel sink in Kathmandu or a stream trickle in the Andes, the Geopress has got you covered. Check out our full review here for more convincing.
Best Hostel for Couples in San Cristobal – La Abuelita Hostel & Terraza
– Movie Nights
While traveling you may find it difficult to give your boyfriend or girlfriend the attention they deserve. Maybe it is because you are so busy or maybe because private rooms are out of your price range, no matter what the reason might be, La Abuelita Hostel is here to put you up in some of the cheapest rooms in all of San Cristobal! After reigniting the romance, you can then start to explore everything else this backpackers hostel has to offer! With lounges and a terrace, you can still hang out and chat with other backpackers! Top it all off with tours taking you to so of the most beautiful places around San Cristobal and even movie nights, La Abuelita Hostal will be your home away from home before you know it!
Best Party Hostel in San Cristobal – Hostel La Isla
– Nightly Events
In Mexico, you can crack open a beer at practically any hostel you go to, but there are not that many stays that are like Hosta La Isla! What makes this hostel stand apart from the rest is the fact that it will have you up and mixing with the other travelers every night with their events! You can always exchange travel stories in the lounge or terrace, but there is no better place to truly get to meet the other guests than over a shared meal or barbeque! The yoga classes and movie nights are what really makes this hostel special, giving you the chance to hang out and become part of the Hostal La Isla family!
Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in San Cristobal – Snail Hostel
– Breakfast Included
Are you a digital nomad living out of your backpack and are needing a spacious and quiet hostel to call home for a few days? There is no better place in San Cristobal to open up your laptop and get back to work than Snail Hostal! With all the laid back vibes of a youth hostel and the charm of a bed and breakfast, you will be getting back to editing and writing before you know it! When you finally are able to close your laptop, you will find that Snail Hostel will have tours that will take you to some of the most gorgeous places around San Cristobal! With its lounges, cafe, and free breakfast, this is one stay that you will find yourself never wanting to check out of!
More of the Best Hostels in San Cristobal
– Shared Kitchen
– Breakfast Included
Located just a few blocks from the San Cristobal city square right smack in the downtown, you will find the Frida Kerida Hostel. Although they are last on our list of top hostels in San Cristobal, that does not mean they don’t pack quite a punch! With its trendy atmosphere, rooftop terrace, and relaxing lounges, this is one hostel where you could easily see yourself extending your stay night after night! What will really have you jumping out of bed every morning is the free breakfast that will get your day started off on the right foot!
What to Pack for your San Cristobal Hostel
Pants, socks, underwear… Here are some other items you might not have thought to pack.
1. Active Roots Microfiber Towel: Having your own towel on your travels is a game changer. The Active Roots Microfiber Towel is perfect for travellers who are looking for a lightweight, quick-drying and extremely soft option. The antibacterial material is super water-absorbent and resists odor buildup because of its antimicrobial material. Ain’t technology cool?
2. Playing Cards: These waterproof cards are essential kit for every backpacker. Play by the pool, beach or at your hostel after a long day with travel buds, without your cards breaking or getting soaked. And once you pull out those cards, the chance that you’ll be the hero of the night is pretty high (no promises though).
3. Power Bank: Probably one of the most important travel accessories – a decent power bank. Charging your phone up to 5 times in a row, the Anker Power Bank is a true lifesaver on long adventures or bus rides. Slick looking, handy and not too big, it easily fits in even the smallest travel bag or your pocket. Charge 2 devices at the same time with the double USB port.
4. Headphone Splitter: Don’t be those awkward people sharing one earbud on the bus, as you show off your in-depth music knowledge to your new friend. A headphone splitter is a great item to bring traveling, it works fantastic on those long bus rides or easy dorm Netflix nights when you want to relax and connect with someone.
5. Active Roots Water Bottle: Sturdy and durable, the Active Roots water bottle survives the roughest adventures while keeping your drink cold or hot for at least 24 hours. Vacuum-sealed and made from stainless steel, the bottle can fit 25oz, which is plenty to keep you hydrated. Super cool bonus: the bottle isn’t just super useful, it helps to reduce the single-use plastic waste – save the planet by filling up your bottle.
6. Padlock: Theft happens in hostels, so keep a padlock to clip on your locker. This padlock can also double to keep your pack shut while in-transit. No need for keys (which can easily be lost or stolen too), you just have to remember a three-digit number to unlock your travel essentials.
Why you should travel to San Cristobal
Stuck in a time-warp, San Cristobal will have you immersed in everything from traditional indigenous culture to colonial architecture. With all of its museums, history, and charm, it won’t take much to have you dead set on traveling to this center of culture and relaxation!
With so many great hostels to choose from, we can totally understand if you are still unsure of where to stay in San Cristobal. Let us help you get one step closer to traveling to south Mexico by giving you our recommendation! For that one stay that will have you enjoying Mexico to the fullest, bet sure to stay in Posada del Abuelito, our pick for the best hostel in San Cristobal!
Over to you
With markets full of local artisans making handicrafts, centuries-old buildings, and a history stretching back to the dawn of civilization, San Cristobal is a city that will have you constantly finding new things to discover! From the massive museums that will deepen your knowledge of indigenous cultures to the nearby villages that allow visitors to witness ancient traditions first hands, you are in for the adventure of a lifetime in San Cristobal!
What will really set the tone for your trip in San Cristobal is the backpacker’s hostel you end up calling home. Will you be staying in a youth hostel that will have you partying until the crack of dawn or a hostel where you can simply kick back, relax, and chat with other backpackers? In San Cristobal, you will have plenty of places to choose from!
If you have traveled to San Cristobal we would love to hear about your trip! Let us know in the comments below if there are any great backpacker’s hostels we may have missed!
Don’t forget to sort your travel insurance! We’ve put together a roundup of the best travel insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads now, our favourite travel insurance provider.
Getting an estimate from World Nomads is simple – just click the button or image below, fill out the necessary info, and you’re on your way!
Do you own or run a kick ass hostel? Want to be featured in this list? Get in touch at [email protected]
Yay for transparency! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, The Broke Backpacker will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps keep the site going.