Stuttgart has to be one of Europe’s best-kept secrets. This “hidden gem” has an urban population of over 2 million people, but still has the heart and soul of a sleepy German village.
With tons of exceptional museums, fairy-tale like architecture which seems to pop straight out of a fairy tale, and romantic parks, its a wonder why this picturesque European city doesn’t see more visitors.
While being off the beaten track is looked as favorable for many travelers, it doesn’t help when trying to find a youth hostel or a place to meet up with fellow backpackers. How then can you expect to find a hostel in a city that is often overlooked by tourists?
That’s exactly why we made this worry-free guide! Now you can think less about which hostel to stay in and more about how to explore the sprawling city of Stuttgart.
Get that German beer flowing and your walking shoes on for exploring all that Stuttgart has to offer!
So peep our guide to the top hostels in Stuttgart below!
Quick answer: The Best Hostels in Stuttgart
- Best Overall Hostel in Stuttgart – Hostel Alex30
- Best Party Hostel in Stuttgart– ACHAT Comfort Airport & Messe Stuttgart
- Best Hostel for Solo Travellers in Stuttgart– Stuttgart International
- Best Cheap Hostel in Stuttgart– A&O Stuttgart City
- Best Hostel for Couples in Stuttgart–Ibis Budget Stuttgart City Nord
- Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Stuttgart–Jugendherberge Stuttgart Neckarpark
- Best Hostel with a Private Room in Stuttgart–Hotel Waldhorn
The Best Hostels in Stuttgart
Finding the hop hostels and budget hotels in Stuttgart takes a bit of dedication and research. Let’s face it, you don’t want to be wasting your time mindless searching for the perfect hostel.
We got the best Stuttgart has to offer, from the coolest hostel in the city to the best place to get a quiets night sleep. Your first step for a mindblowing time in Stuttgart starts here!
Best Overall Hostel in Stuttgart – Hostel Alex 30
- Breakfast Buffet
It’s sometimes not enough to just have dorm rooms to be considered a hostel. Hostel Alex30 is the only youth hostel in Stuttgart that both looks and feels like a proper haven for weary backpackers.
Hostel Alex30 provides its travelers with a shared kitchen, bar, lounge, sun deck, and even private apartments available for rent. More importantly, this hostel is artistically decorated, giving the building a more warm and intimate vibe.
Best Party Hostel in Stuttgart – ACHAT Comfort Airport & Messe Stuttgart
While ACHAT Comfort is not a youth hostel, it does provide a budget private room near the airport with lots of perks. At this hotel, you will not find a huge nightclub or party scene, but you will never be far away from a good glass of beer, however.
You can wet your whistle at either the hotel’s bar or casino before hitting the sauna to sober up. The hotel also offers a restaurant, bike rentals, a sun terrace, and even a library.
Best Hostel for Solo Travellers in Stuttgart – Stuttgart International
- Breakfast Buffet
- Stunning Views
Perched on top of a hill, Stuttgart International offers an outside terrace with stunning views of the city below, making it one of the top hostels in all of Stuttgart. This backpackers hostel is perfect for those wanting a low-key, comfortable stay, with no surprises.
The building itself is massive, having several lounges spread out throughout the building, a bistro, huge dining room, and also a TV room.
Best Cheap Hostel in Stuttgart – A&O Stuttgart City
- Snack Bar
- Game Room
One of the only proper hostels in Stuttgart, A&O is one of the coolest hostels in all of Stuttgart. Not only will you be given that hostel atmosphere you have been yearning for, but you will also be treated to a game room including billiards and table football, a bar, breakfast buffet, and TV room.
While other hotels and hostels around Stuttgart may be a bit impersonal, A&O will have you feeling like part of the family, like all of the best hostels should.
Best Hostel for Couples in Stuttgart – Ibis Budget Stuttgart City Nord
- Buffet Breakfast
- Central Location
Why not splurge a little bit extra so you can have your perfect European getaway? You can have increased privacy and comfort, without shelling out a chunk of change when staying at Ibis.
Unlike other budget hotels, Ibis will have you staying in spacious tastefully decorated rooms, ensuring you have a good nights sleep. The hotel also boasts and bountiful feast every morning so you can start your day off right!
Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Stuttgart – Jugendherberge Stuttgart Neckarpark
- Breakfast Buffet
Stuttgart Neckarpark seamlessly blends a hostel with a hotel, maintaining an open atmosphere while still have all of the comforts of a swanky hotel. As a digital nomad, you don’t want to be worrying about things such as connectivity and finding a quiet place to edit in peace.
While these may be an issue in your run of the mill hostel, at Stuttgart Neckarpark you can easily escape any noise in the dormitories to a secluded part of the hotel to work without any distractions. The hostel also boasts a delicious breakfast as well as a location right on top of some of the best museums in Stuttgart!
Best Hostel with a Private Room in Stuttgart – Hotel Waldhorn
- Breakfast Buffet
When traveling you will small bouts of peace and quiet, as well as just treating yourself to a taste of the finer things. Hotel Waldhorn will give you the best budget private rooms prices with a two-star hotel’s standard of comfort.
The hotel’s spacious and tastefully decorated rooms will leave you refreshed for another fun-filled day jam-packed with museums, zoos, and parks in Stuttgart.
Psst! Heading to a hostel? Don’t forget to pack a padlock! It’s well worth having one so you can secure your locker and protect your stuff!
More Best Hostels In Stuttgart
Are you looking to stay in a specific neighborhood? Check out our guide to Stuttgart’s best areas to stay.
Mietzimmer in Stuttgart has a homey, down to earth, homestay kind of feel which fits right in with it being located on a quiet residential street. With a pleasant staff, comfortable rooms, and a more low-key vibe, Mietzimmer is one of the top recommended hostels in Stuttgart for those looking for a more “back to basics” kind of stay.
While the hostel lacks a lot of the bells and whistles of the other guys, Mietzimmer makes it up with its budget rooms and owners who make you feel like you are part of the family!
Situated around tons of bars and restaurants, Novum Hotel Bury is the perfect place to base yourself out of when staying in Stuttgart. Although a bit more expensive when compared with some of the other places in Stuttgart, Novum combines bed and breakfast hospitality with a hotel’s comfort.
With its on-site restaurant offering free coffee and tea, you are sure to be left feeling refreshed and ready to explore more of Stuttgart.
- Bicycle Rentals
Let’s face it. When you are staying in Stuttgart a private room doesn’t cost all that more than a private room. At Hotel Garni Keinath you get hostel prices with all the conveniences you’d expect from a hotel.
With a bar, restaurant, bike rentals, and great location nearby all the best museums in Stuttgart, you won’t think anything of shelling out a few extra bucks to get these added perks.
What to Pack for your Stuttgart Hostel
Here’s some gear our editors take hostelling.
1. Sea to Summit Travel Soap: When dirtbagging around the globe, hygiene sometimes comes a bit short. This Sea to Summit Travel Soap can wash your hands, clothes or anything else, wherever you are. The soap strips are dry and super thin but dissolve in contact with water, so you can even take it easily through security in a carry-on.
2. Noise-Cancelling Earbuds: Noise in hostels… is a thing. Your bunkmate coming in late, motorbike traffic just below your window, construction on the property or the round-the-clock rooster that seems to follow you to every f*cking hostel. Having a way to escape the noise while you sleep makes for a well-rested morning. Noise canceling ear-buds are a great solution, just put on your favorite artist or load a quick Netflix episode to fall asleep too.
3. Active Roots Toiletry Bag: Keep your bath-and-beauty items organized and in the right place with this water-resistant bag. With large compartments, mesh and enclosed clear sections, you can fit everything you might need inside. Hang it up or let it stand on its own – this bag is a must-have for dorm-lifers.
4. Active Roots Microfiber Towel: Having your own towel on your travels is a game changer. The Active Roots Microfiber Towel is perfect for travellers who are looking for a lightweight, quick-drying and extremely soft option. The antibacterial material is super water-absorbent and resists odor buildup because of its antimicrobial material. Ain’t technology cool?
5. Padlock: Keep your stuff safe, guys. Unfortunately not all dorm lockers share the same security standard. You’ll want a lightweight lock that can fit all the various dorm lockers you’ll clip it to. Having a padlock that is flexible and can fit a variety of locker styles is the best way to make sure none of your belongings wander away while you are out.
6. Playing Cards: These waterproof cards are essential kit for every backpacker. Play by the pool, beach or at your hostel after a long day with travel buds, without your cards breaking or getting soaked. And once you pull out those cards, the chance that you’ll be the hero of the night is pretty high (no promises though).
Why you should travel to Stuttgart
As one of the few tourists in Stuttgart, you will get all of the bars, parks, and museums practically to yourself!
Oddly enough, the hostels are around the same price as a private room at a budget hotel. Its ultimately up to you if you’d rather have added comfort or more of a social, hostel atmosphere.
By far the best hostel in Stuttgart is Hostel Alex 30. Alex 30 is one of the only proper hostels in town, making it a perfect place to just kick it and meet other backpackers!
Get all of your classic German charms with half the tourists when traveling to Stuttgart! A European treasure, hidden in plain sight!
Travel Safety Tips for Stuttgart
And don’t forget Travel Insurance! We’ve put together a roundup of Travel Insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads, our favorite travel insurance provider.
Getting an estimate from World Nomads is simple – just click the button or image below, fill out the necessary info, and you’re on your way!
More Epic Hostels in Germany and Europe
Hopefully by now you’ve found the perfect hostel for your upcoming trip to Stuttgart.
Planning an epic trip all across Germany or even Europe itself?
Don’t worry – we’ve got you covered!
For more cool hostel guides around Europe, check out:
Over to you
By now I hope our epic guide to the best hostels in Stuttgart has helped you choose the perfect hostel for your adventure!
If you think we’ve missed anything or have any further thoughts, hit us up in the comments!
“Find out how YOU can support the site. We work hard to put out the best backpacker resources on the web, for free! It’s all about helping out our tribe of awesome backpacker readers [that’s you!]. Please visit the link to find out how you can help keep the site going 🙂
For the sake of transparency, some of the links in our content are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation, buy a book or sort your insurance, we earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. I only link to stuff I’ve actually used and never endorse products or services that are not up to scratch. Thanks for your support.