Pensacola is a small but beautiful city in Florida, with a huge military and historical significance! With so much to intrigue and fascinate, there is so much this place has to offer for travellers of all shapes and sizes!
It may not be the most famous city in the state, but it’s a hidden treasure that is worth a visit.
With so much to offer, it can be quite overwhelming when trying to decide where to stay in Pensacola
But with our easy, step-by-step guide, you’ll find the best areas to stay in Pensacola to meet your interests and budget!
Without further ado, here’s our guide to where to stay in Pensacola, Florida!
Quick Tips: Where to Stay in Pensacola
- Where to Stay in Pensacola for the First Time: Waterfront
- Where to Stay in Pensacola on a Budget: Ferry Pass
- Where to Stay in Pensacola for Families: Warrington
- This is the best place to get loads of historical exploring done!
- For some great photography opportunities, why not head to The Graffiti Bridge?
- Why not take a drive across Pensacola Bay to the Gulf Islands National Seashore!
Taking a trip to Florida and headed to Pensacola? Looking for a specific stay? These are our highest recommendations for places to stay in Pensacola…
Best Airbnb in Pensacola: Hidden Oaks Cottage
This beautiful cottage is nestled under some mature oaks that have stood in this place for centuries! But don’t worry, the cottage has all the modern facilities you would need and more!
With bright open living spaces, a gorgeous bedroom and an elegant bathroom, you and your friends or family will enjoy luxury and privacy!VIEW ON AIRBNB
Best Hotel in Pensacola: Western Inn
A little out of the city centre but by no means out of the action is this simple, yet charming hotel. With free parking and a 24-hour front desk, there won’t be any stress for you on this holiday!
Within a 15 minute drive of the airport, you’ll be really close to transport links too!VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Best Luxury Hotel in Pensacola: Pensacola Grand Hotel
Grand by name, grand by nature! This is the pinnacle of luxury in Pensacola! With a pool, lovely restaurant, business centre and air conditioning, you’ll want for nothing here!
For convenience, there’s an express checkout and a 24-hour front desk. With expensive furnishings and comfortable rooms, this is the best place to stay for some luxury!VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Quick Summary: The Best Places to Stay in Pensacola
|Check Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
Pensacola is the westernmost city in Florida and has a population of almost 60,000. Quite small for a city isn’t it? But that doesn’t mean it loses any of its bustle or excitement!
There’s plenty of shops, restaurants, cafes and museums for you to enjoy! Although this area has been affected by hurricanes in the past, the recovery and support shown by all the locals show the community spirit here. The skyline may not be recognisable, but there are so many impressive buildings in Pensacola, you won’t be disappointed!
Not only does this amazing city have some great cultural importance, but it also has incredible historical significance as the first Spanish settlement within the borders of the United States in 1559. There are loads of forts and military museums for you to explore, especially in Warrington, which is also our recommendation for the best place to stay for families! There are beaches nearby too for the kids to run off some steam, but the ancient forts and Naval Aviation Museum are fascinating!
Travelling on a budget? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. Ferry Pass is a little further north of the city centre in the more modern part of the city. You can get some cheap accommodation and find some free of charge places to explore!
But the best place to stay in Pensacola for the first time is definitely The Waterfront. Overlooking the lovely Pensacola Bay, this is the centre of the city and where you’ll find the most amazing sights and the most excitement!
Getting here is also super easy! There’s an airport so close nearby – can you guess the name? Pensacola International Airport! There are plenty of railroads connecting Pensacola to neighbouring cities. The traditional Greyhound buses also run to and from this city if you want to take part in a real road trip!
Top 3 Neighbourhoods in Pensacola
With so much history, culture and scenery to enjoy, Pensacola is one of the best places to stay in Florida!
Not only does the Waterfront offer great views across Pensacola Bay, but it is also the centre point of the city! There are some fascinating sights to see and some incredibly moving war memorials and museums.
If you want the chance to go out into Pensacola Bay and explore the national park there, then you have the option to do that too!
Things to See and Do in Waterfront
– This is the best place to get loads of historical exploring done! So why not head to the Plaza De Luna where you’ll find a Memorial monument – it’s a monument to Spanish nobleman Don Tristan de Luna AND a fountain!
– If you want to get out of the bustle of the city, the best place to visit in Pensacola’s Waterfront is Seville Square! An oasis of mature oak trees and green spaces, which also hosts festivals and fairs on weekends!
– For some great photography opportunities, why not head to The Graffiti Bridge? Ana amazing piece of urban art!
– If you want to pay your respects to some incredible heroes, head to the Veterans Memorial Park Pensacola! This is an amazing park featuring war monuments, with a pond which has some interesting inhabitants!
– Why not take a drive across Pensacola Bay to the Gulf Islands National Seashore! Sandy beaches and plenty of opportunities for camping, boating and fishing!
Best Airbnb in Waterfront: Kick Back Downtown at an Intimate Light-Filled Getaway
This is a bright, spacious apartment right near to the seafront. Take a sip of a late-night cocktail after dinner, or enjoy a morning coffee before you go on your adventure around the city – all on your balcony!
With a widescreen TV and a speaker to enjoy a boogie, this is the perfect place for you to relax and enjoy some private space.VIEW ON AIRBNB
Best Hotel in Waterfront: Sole Inn and Suites
This is the best place to stay on the Waterfront if you’re looking for something a little cheaper! There’s a 24-hour front desk which means you can come and go as you please and get help at any hour of the day! Fill up on the complimentary breakfast and then you’ll be ready to explore this amazing city.VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Best Luxury Hotel in Waterfront: Pensacola Victorian Ben and Breakfast
Go back in time with this delightful bed and breakfast in a Victorian style! The building itself is charming and there’s even a library on-site so you can really feel like Victorian nobility.
A complimentary breakfast, air conditioning and free parking, you’ll be stress-free and relaxed during your stay here!VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Ferry Pass is an area of Pensacola a little further north of the city centre. It’s slightly more urbanised than other areas and is where the most modern part of the city is, so there’s plenty to explore!
Although it’s bustling and exciting, there are still places you can get away from it all. Dog parks, amusement parks and green spaces – what more can you want?
Things to See and Do in Ferry Pass
– If you want to get out of the hustle and bustle of the city, then head to Bay Bluffs Park! It’s a 42-acre nature reserve where you can get lost on boardwalks, pavilions and amongst the beautiful trees.
– If you’re feeling like being a kid for the day, why not head to Sam’s Fun City! There are go-karts, arcade games and laser tag! Go wild and spend the day like a kid again!
– Fancy grabbing a souvenir, why not head to University Town Plaza? If the weather is a bit rainy it’s the best place to go if you want to shelter from the rain and find some great bargains!
– Want to make some furry friends? Why not head down to the Roger Scott Dog Park? You’ll be surrounded by some happy pooches and some beautiful nature too!
Best Airbnb in Ferry Pass: Pet-Friendly- come stay at the Palm Drop-Inn
Hidden in this lovely neighbourhood is this gorgeous house which hosts four guests in two bedrooms. It’s a lovely space with modern amenities, but also super cosy!
It’s pet-friendly so you can bring your furry friends to cuddle up on the sofa with!VIEW ON AIRBNB
Best Hotel in Ferry Pass: SpringHill Suites
With an outdoor pool, glorious restaurant and even a gym, if you want to burn off some steam, this is a really cheap way to have a bit of luxury during your stay!
Each suite is modern and stylish and has all the amenities you could need. There’s a sofa, microwave, minifridge and superfast internet!VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Best Luxury Hotel in Ferry Pass: Candlewood Suites Pensacola
With the advantage of some great service but also your own private space, these suites are a great alternative to a traditional hotel! Just a short drive from some of Ferry Pass’ greatest attractions, you’ll be so close to everything you need!
As the strapline says: Consider this place your home away from home!VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Warrington is just to the south of Pensacola, and is the perfect neighbourhood to take your family away! There’s an amazing array of military monuments and historical landmarks for you and your family to visit and learn about!
Head to the beach to relax, or tee off if you’d prefer to get out of doors!
Things to See and Do in Warrington
– Why not take the family to the Pensacola Naval Complex Beach? Sit back in the Florida sun and enjoy soaking up those rays!
– Go back in time by visiting Fort Barrancas! It’s a historic hilltop fort, which has been occupied by a whole host of different people! Now a museum, you can book a special tour to learn all about it.
– Take to the skies at the Naval Aviation Museum, which has over 250 restored military aircraft, a flight simulator and even an IMAX theatre!
– Another amazing military site is the military fort built in the 1830s to defend Pensacola Bay! You can grab a tour or go around yourself. But remember! You have to get a ferry over to Fort Pickens, so you can go on a little sea adventure too!
– Why not tee off at the Pensacola Country Club? Be surrounded by some beautiful grounds while also teaching the little ones how to play a bit of golf?
Best Airbnb in Warrington: Waterfront Pensacola Home with Boat Dock & Lanai
Now then, this is a real luxury spot and the perfect place for a big family getaway! You’ll have your own boat dock so you can get on the water and even enjoy your own little beach!
With a huge kitchen/diner to enjoy a family meal on and a balcony where you can have a drink once the kids are in bed, this is the best house for a big family getaway.VIEW ON AIRBNB
Best Hotel in Warrington: Suburban Extended Stay Hotel
Although this hotel is super affordable, there’s no shortage of amazing facilities here! Whether it’s the outdoor pool, the gym or the free Wi-Fi, you’ll really get your money’s worth.
You can get rooms in a variety of sizes depending on how many of the family are coming with you!VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Best Luxury Hotel in Warrington: Red Roof Inn & Suites Pensacola
This lovely hotel is the perfect place to bring the family! With an indoor pool and the chance to have your own suite so you have some private family space too.
With a complimentary breakfast, you can be sure that the kids will be full up before their day of adventuring around Warrington!VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Final Thoughts on Where to Stay in Pensacola
Gorgeous scenery, amazing history and huge military significance – Pensacola has so much to offer to travellers of all types! It comes as no surprise that Pensacola is the perfect place to stay for people of all ages!
To recap: Waterfront is the best place to stay in Pensacola for your first time. It’s packed with interesting museums, parks and access to beaches.
To recap: Pensacola’s most luxurious hotel is Pensacola Grand Hotel – grand by name, grand by nature!
If you’re travelling on a bit more of a budget, then the best place to stay in Pensacola is Western Inn – simple but charming!
Have we missed anything? Let us know in the comments below, Otherwise, enjoy your travels!
Don’t forget to sort your travel insurance! We’ve put together a roundup of the best travel insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads now, our favourite travel insurance provider.
Getting an estimate from World Nomads is simple – just click the button or image below, fill out the necessary info, and you’re on your way!
Do you own an awesome hostel, hotel or apartment? Want to be featured in our list? Email [email protected] to find out how.
Yay for transparency! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, The Broke Backpacker will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps me keep the site going.