It may not longer be the capital of this small Central American nation, but there are plenty of reasons to visit Belize City. The largest city in the country has lots of colonial history. And, its coast on the Caribbean Sea means it’s a great place to spend a few days soaking up the white sand beaches and turquoise waters.
If you’ve planned to include the largest city in Belize on your Central America itinerary, you’ll need to know where to stay in Belize City. But what fits into a backpacker budget? Well, we’ve decided to help you plan your trip.
That’s right, in this post we’ve put together a list of the best cheap places in town. Yes, we’ve included the best hostels in Belize City, with some budget hotels and Airbnbs thrown in too! Hopefully, this list will help you make the most of your trip and have a great time in Belize!
Quick Answer – Best Hostels in Belize City
- Overall Best Hostel in Belize City – McKay’s Hostel
- Best Hostels for Solo Travellers in Belize City – Caribbean Palms Inn
- Best Cheap Hostel in Belize City – The Red Hut Inn
- Best Hostel for Couples in Belize City – New Chon Sing Restaurant and Guest House
- Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Belize City – Sir Angel’s Guesthouse (Airbnb)
- Best Hostel with a Private Room in Belize City – Belcove Hotel & Guesthouse
Best Hostels in Belize City
If you’re backpacking Belize, you’ll probably end up in Belize City sooner or later. It’s the state’s biggest city and hosts the largest harbour in Belize. With its amazing location, it attracts quite a few tourists all year round.
There are loads of awesome hostels in Belize, but the ones found in Belize City are truly special. Perfect for backpackers on a budget, they can enjoy a super comfy bed, the chance to meet like-minded travellers from all over the world while keeping the costs low.
Overall Best Hostel in Belize City – McKay’s Hostel
- Free drinks on arrival
- Shared Lounge
- Breakfast available
Let’s kick off our list of the best hostels in Belize City with a cool and friendly place to stay – McKay’s Hostel. It’s just 150 metres from the centre of Belize City, so you really are spoiled in terms of location! There are plenty of place in the hostel to meet other travellers too, such as the garden, shared lounge, or outdoor terrace. Rooms come equipped with air-conditioning and a flat-screen TV, so you’re welcome to enjoy a night in too! Last but not least, start the day with breakfast to fuel yourself up before exploring the town. There are American, continental, and vegan options!
Best Hostels for Solo Travellers in Belize City – Caribbean Palms Inn
- Tour desk
- Terrace with Outdoor Dining
- Laundry Available
You can be at the ocean within two minutes of checking into this awesome Belize City backpackers hostel! So, it’s ideal for solo travellers. You have the choice of heading down to the beach and making friends, or checking out who is sharing your dorm. Of course, if you want the vibe of a hostel without sharing a dorm, you can always book a private room instead! If you want to explore the cayes surrounding the hostel, there’s a tour desk here which can take you wherever you want to go!
Best Cheap Hostel in Belize City – The Red Hut Inn
- Fully equipped kitchen
- Airport pick up/drop off available
- Near the sea!
For the best budget hostel in Belize City, look no further than the Red Hut Inn. There is a mixture of dormitories and private rooms, so it’s suitable for all budgets really! To keep your costs as low as possible, pick some food up at the nearby supermarket and prepare it in the fully equipped kitchen, rather than spending money on restaurants! Also, if you’re unsure about getting to or from the airport, you’ll be pleased to know this Belize City backpackers hostel offers pick up and drop off. That should take away some of the stress!
Best Hostel for Couples in Belize City – New Chon Sing Restaurant and Guest House
- Chinese restaurant on site
- Private bathroom
- Near Water Taxi
If you’re travelling with your other half, you won’t want to be in a sweaty, smelly, or noisy dorm. Instead, here’s a recommended Belize City Hostel. New Chong Sing Restaurant and Guest House not only offers you a lovely double room with a private bathroom, but there’s a Chinese restaurant on site. So, there’s your romantic evening meal sorted too! It’s just a hop, skip, and a jump from the water taxi too, so you can easily get to the surrounding cayes!
Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Belize City – Sir Angel’s Guesthouse (Airbnb)
- Complimentary Tea and Coffee
- Free shuttle to/from water taxi
- Salon and massage services
When you’re travelling as a digital nomad, sometimes you need a break from hostels. Yes, they’re great for meeting people, but if you need to get your head down and work you could probably do without the distractions. This guest house is one of the coolest places to stay in Belize City! And essentially for remote workers, there’s a laptop-friendly workspace and a fast Wi-Fi connection. Another bonus is that all the essentials are provided for you – meaning that you can keep your suitcase lightweight!
Best Hostel with a Private Room in Belize City – Belcove Hotel & Guesthouse
- Sun terrace with sea view
- Airport shuttle
- Vending machines in lobby
You might want to stay in one of the coolest hostels in Belize City without having to share a dorm. So, instead, let’s check out a guesthouse with awesome private rooms! If you’re a long term traveller who needs a break from parties and late nights, check into a single room at this cool guesthouse. Likewise, it suits a couple on a budget too! You can relax with a sea view from the sun terrace and get chatting to other guests in the evenings!
Psst! Heading to a hostel? Don’t forget to pack a padlock! It’s well worth having one so you can secure your locker and protect your stuff!
More Great Hostels in Belize City
- Tropical Gardens
- Air conditioned rooms
- Private bathrooms
There are lots of top hostels in Belize City, but if you’re on a budget you might want to explore some other options such as guest houses. One of our favourites is Bella Sombra Kings Park, which set around a gorgeous tropical garden! This is a great shout for families as it is equipped with family rooms. In the rooms, you’ll find a flat-screen TV, private bathroom, Wi-Fi, and air-conditioning. Everything you could need from a cosy and comfy stay!
- Basic kitchenettes
- Free private parking
If you like Bella Sombra but you’d rather be close to the centre of town, no worries. This one offers basic kitchenettes in rooms and it’s just a 15-minute walk from one of the most important landmarks in town – St John’s Cathedral! Another great plus of staying here is for travellers who have their own transport. Yep, if you’re exploring Belize by car, you’ve got a private parking space here at no extra cost! The guest house can also help you plan day trips and excursions – just talk to the friendly staff at the desk if you fancy a change of scenery!
Single-use plastic bottles are a huge threat to Marine Life – Be a part of the solution and travel with a filter water bottle.
The GRAYL GEOPRESS water bottle is the ONLY all-in-one filter water bottle setup you’ll need. Whether you need to purify the water from a hostel sink in Kathmandu or a stream trickle in the Andes, the Geopress has got you covered.
Read our full review of the GRAYL GEOPRESS!
- Safe neighbourhood
- Outdoor gazebo and patio
- Homely and welcoming
Other than Belize City Backpackers hostels, you can keep your costs down by choosing an Airbnb. This guest queen room is a homestay, which will not only save you money, but give you an authentic experience of Belize City! You’ve got your own bathroom and you’re welcome to the communal areas of the home, including zen gardens, a patio, and a gazebo! Best of all, it’s in one of the safest neighbourhoods in town! For a unique and local experience, go for a run with your host family and their friends at the local football stadium. That’s if you can keep up, of course!
- Swimming Pool
- Private bathroom and entry
- Right on the beach!
Last but not least on our list of the best hostels in Belize City is another Airbnb! And these units are right on the beach at Caye Caulker! If you’re a beach bum, there truly is no better place to stay in Belize City on a budget! In the village, you’ve got restaurants, shops, and everything you could need when it comes to convenience. On-site, you’ve got a swimming pool if heading out into the sea is a bit nerve-wracking for you! The perfect place to round off our list.
What to Pack for your Belize City Hostel
We don’t often travel without these essentials.
1. Universal Travel Adapter: This universal travel adapter charges your devices in (pretty much) every country – definitely a lifesaver when travelling around the world. The plug also regulates the power output depending on which device you’re charging. No more fried hair dryers or electric razors!
2. Active Roots Microfiber Towel: Quick-drying, lightweight, super soft and compact – the Active Roots Microfiber Towel is essential for every backpacker. No need to use the scabby towels your hostel may or may not provide! Use it for drying off, as a yoga towel or even as a picnic blanket – the options don’t stop here. Made of antibacterial material, you don’t have to worry about your towel starting to smell unpleasant either after lots of use.
3. Headphone Splitter: Being stuck on a bus or plane with only one phone that has good music or shows downloaded can be pretty annoying if your travel buddy wants to share headphones. With this Headphone Splitter, you won’t have to listen with only one ear anymore. Your friend can plug in their headphones at the same time, so both of you are entertained (on both ears!).
4. Padlock: Theft happens in hostels, so keep a padlock to clip on your locker. This padlock can also double to keep your pack shut while in-transit. No need for keys (which can easily be lost or stolen too), you just have to remember a three-digit number to unlock your travel essentials.
5. Noise-Cancelling Earbuds: These simple earbuds will help you out. Keeping out most of the surrounding sounds, you can either choose to listen to some relaxing music or no sound at all while falling asleep. This can be a life-saver in some unexpected party hostels. Make sure you’re well-rested for the next adventures!
6. Active Roots Toiletry Bag: Keep your bath-and-beauty items organized and in the right place with this water-resistant bag. With large compartments, mesh and enclosed clear sections, you can fit everything you might need inside. Hang it up or let it stand on its own – this bag is a must-have for dorm-lifers.
Final Thoughts on the Best Hostels in Belize City
So, that’s all from our list of the best hostels in Belize City. We think you’ll agree there’s a lot of choice. Whether you want to make new friends in a dorm style room, get some privacy with the one you love, or wake up literally on the beach, there’s a hostel in Belize City for you!
We just hope you haven’t been overwhelmed by our selection. If that’s the case, take a deep breath and go with our favourite hostel in Belize City. That’s McKay’s Hostel. It’s the perfect combination of good value for money, a great location, and a friendly atmosphere.
Now, all that’s left is for us to wish you happy holidays in Belize City. We hope you have a great time!
Don’t forget to sort your travel insurance before heading to Belize City! Belize might be safe, but it’s better to be prepared! We’ve put together a roundup of travel insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads, our favorite travel insurance provider.
Getting an estimate from World Nomads is simple – just click the button or image below, fill out the necessary info, and you’re on your way!
Do you own or run a kick ass hostel? Want to be featured in this list? Get in touch at [email protected]
“Find out how YOU can support the site. We work hard to put out the best backpacker resources on the web, for free! It’s all about helping out our tribe of awesome backpacker readers [that’s you!]. Please visit the link to find out how you can help keep the site going 🙂
For the sake of transparency, some of the links in our content are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation, buy a book or sort your insurance, we earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. I only link to stuff I’ve actually used and never endorse products or services that are not up to scratch. Thanks for your support.