Lyon serves up a whole dollop of French charm along its riversides, littered with bridges, cafes, restaurants, charming rows of houses, and big ol’ monumental historical sights. A visit to the capital of the Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes region is certainly gonna help fuel any view of France as an impossibly romantic place.
Like any city Lyon is made up of lots of different areas, so which of these is going to be right for you? And then once you’ve decided, is a hostel or a hotel something that will be the best choice?
We’re here to help! In fact, we’ve made a list of the best hostels in Lyon – as well as the best budget hotels in Lyon, too – to make your life easier when it comes to choosing the right place for you.
So let’s see what this lovely lil’ city has to offer!
Quick answer: The Best Hostels in Lyon
- Best Overall Hostel in Lyon – Away Hostel
- Best Party Hostel in Lyon – La Flaneur Guesthouse
- Best Hostel for Solo Travellers in Lyon –Alter Hostel
- Best Cheap Hostel in Lyon – Ho36 Hostel
- Best Hostel for Couples in Lyon – SLO Living Hostel
- Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Lyon – Ho36 Opera
Best Hostels in Lyon
Need help deciding where to stay in Lyon? This is why we handpicked these hostels!
Best Overall Hostel in Lyon – Away Hostel
- Communal Kitchen
- Security Lockers
- 24 Hour Reception
Is this the most stylish hostel in France? This Lyon backpackers hostel has its very own coffee shop and is located in a cool old building in the middle of the city. Pretty nice, huh? It prides itself on high quality and we can see that in action: the whole place is like something from a Pinterest board, seriously.
This cool hostel in Lyon, besides being super stylish, is also really clean and is chill place to hang out. Sure, it ain’t a massive party or social place, but it is SO nice that you won’t wanna leave. Definitely the best overall hostel in Lyon.
Best Party Hostel in Lyon – La Flaneur Guesthouse
- Outdoor Terrace
- Laundry Facilities
Easily the best party hostel in Lyon because of its bar. Ok, so it’s not just any bar. It’s a cheap bar. And at this hostel they love people to get along and hang out with each other. Best achieved over a few glasses of nicely budget beer we’d say.
There’s a cheap (not free, but still) breakfast on offer to help you get over your hangover. And the atmosphere is all chilled all the time, with music playing and laid-back vibes. Not a mental party hostel, but definitely a drinking hostel. Solid choice.
Best Hostel for Solo Travellers in Lyon – Alter Hostel
- Foosball Table
- Bar & Cafe
- Laundry Facilities
Travelling solo in Lyon? Then we’d really recommend this friendly Lyon backpackers hostel. It’s really easy to meet fellow travellers here. Definitely helped by the cultural and social events that they organise. Again, big ol’ glasses of beer at their bar help a bunch!
So yeah, this is our top pick for the best hostel for solo travellers in Lyon. It’s a lot of fun and you’ll feel safe staying here, thanks to the security lockers, good natured staff and the 24-hour reception.
Best Hostel Cheap Hostel in Lyon – Ho36 Hostel
- Games Room
- 24 Hour Security
- Laundry Facilities
We have literally no idea what Ho36 is even supposed to mean, but we’ll go with. It’s located in Lyon’s 7th district, which means you’ll be surrounded by the multicultural side of the city. That often means a lot of tasty food on offer – and here is no different!
Hop on the tram into town from the nearby stop and see all the sights there are to see in Lyon. The hostel itself has a bar and cafe, meaning you can eat without having to spend money on transport. But what REALLY makes this the best cheap hostel in Lyon are its affordable room rates.
Best Hostel for Couples in Lyon – SLO Living Hostel
- Self Catering Facilities
- 24 Hour Reception
As you might be able to tell from the name of this top hostel in Lyon, you’ll really be able to take a break here. It’s very chilled out. Plus it’s really got a lot of stylish decor going on. The private rooms, for example, are like something from a design magazine. Or a model room from Ikea.
The best hostel for couples in Lyon, SLO Living is not just a place with some fancy private rooms, but that calm atmosphere is definitely one that couples looking for a quiet getaway whilst travelling around France (or whatever you’re up to) will really love.
Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Lyon – Ho36 Opera
- Outdoor Terrace
- Shared Kitchen
It’s another Ho36. Maybe it’s the area? Dunno. But anyway, here’s another recommended hostel in Lyon for you to check out. It’s well located, being – as the name suggests – just a 4 min walk from the famous opera house, a load of other sights, plus plenty of restaurants and bars.
There’s a chill courtyard at this place, complete with tables and chairs just perfect for a remote worker. There’s also an indoor lounge with sofas that’s great… also for laptopping. Private and dorm rooms give you a choice. But the style of them is a refreshing break from ‘typical’ hostels, which helps make this the best hostel for digital nomads in Lyon.
Psst! Heading to a hostel? Don’t forget to pack a padlock! It’s well worth having one so you can secure your locker and protect your stuff!
Best Budget Hotels In Lyon
There are also a lot of budget hotels in Lyon that you might want to check out. So we’ve gone through the BEST budget hotels in Lyon so you can find a private place with a bit more hotel professionalism, a bit more space, and less, like, y’know, having to share dorms with randoms. Let’s have a look, shall we?
- Air Con
- Concierge Service
- Breakfast Available (Not Free)
Like a business hotel, it’s modern, a little bit soulless, but you know what you’re getting yourself into with a big well-known chain like Ibis. Clean sheets, maid service, air con, your own bathroom – these are all part of this budget hotel in Lyon.
As for location, this one’s near a tram stop. That means being able to get around the city pretty smoothly, which is great for getting to see the sights. Plus it’s a 10 min walk to the train station, so onward travel to your next destination is pretty much a breeze.
- Fitness Room
- Laundry Facilities
Is it an apartment? Is it a hotel? Who knows. It’s a little bit of both, which really makes this budget hotel in Lyon quite a cool place to stay. Basically, you get the perks of both, a little bit of service whilst you get to stay in your own apartment. Helps you to feel part of the city.
The decor at this place is pretty decent too, modern and with a calm colour palette complete with pops of yellow. It has everything you need to make your stay in Lyon comfy and enjoyable. A solid option, we’d say.
- Wheelchair Access
- Breakfast Available
- Laundry Facilities
Looking for a (little) bit more style? Well, this place in the centre of Lyon will really deliver. Just a 10 min walk to the train station, you can also walk to the river and the old town from here. Well, it IS in the name.
The surrounding area is interesting, set between a multicultural area and the business district, you can get a load of good food around here. Plus rooms come with views of the city, which is great for couples. Friendly staff. Cheap and cheerful. Can’t go wrong.
- Daily Maid Service
- Private Bathroom
- Flatscreen TV
A friendly place to stay in a great location in the centre of the city. Yep, staying here means easily being able to walk to a load of cafes, restaurants and bars – and that definitely sounds like a good shout to us.
This budget hotel in Lyon is small, and the rooms are kinda basic but in a, y’know, budget hotel way. It does the job. The best thing about Hotel de Bretagne is its location. Plus it’s cheap!
What to Pack for your Lyon Hostel
We don’t often travel without these essentials.
1. Headphone Splitter: You’re the one with the Netflix account and your friend wants to watch too? But you don’t want to share headphones? And you’re good people who wouldn’t disturb your dorm mates? That’s not going to be a problem with this Headphone Splitter! Plug in two pairs of headphones at the same time, so both of you are able to listen to music or watch shows simultaneously. It comes in handy and won’t weigh you down.
2. Playing Cards: Name your ideal night: I’m for a few cheap beers and some card games. Oh, and you don’t even have to be drinking to enjoy a game – having cards with you traveling definitely helps out on those long airplane or beach days! Make sure to snag a waterproof deck to protect from the pool, ocean or Chang.
3. Sea to Summit Travel Soap: When dirtbagging around the globe, hygiene sometimes comes a bit short. This Sea to Summit Travel Soap can wash your hands, clothes or anything else, wherever you are. The soap strips are dry and super thin but dissolve in contact with water, so you can even take it easily through security in a carry-on.
4. Padlock: Theft happens in hostels, so keep a padlock to clip on your locker. This padlock can also double to keep your pack shut while in-transit. No need for keys (which can easily be lost or stolen too), you just have to remember a three-digit number to unlock your travel essentials.
5. Active Roots Toiletry Bag: Keep your bath-and-beauty items organized and in the right place with this water-resistant bag. With large compartments, mesh and enclosed clear sections, you can fit everything you might need inside. Hang it up or let it stand on its own – this bag is a must-have for dorm-lifers.
6. Active Roots Microfiber Towel: Quick-drying, lightweight, super soft and compact – the Active Roots Microfiber Towel is essential for every backpacker. No need to use the scabby towels your hostel may or may not provide! Use it for drying off, as a yoga towel or even as a picnic blanket – the options don’t stop here. Made of antibacterial material, you don’t have to worry about your towel starting to smell unpleasant either after lots of use.
Why you should travel to Lyon
There you have it! Now you’re a bit more clued up on the best hostels in Lyon!
There’s quite a lot of variety in the hostels on our handy list – from fun places with their own bars, to more stylish city escapes for backpacking couples, there’s something for everyone here.
Plus, if you want a bit more privacy, we’ve included some of the top budget hotels in Lyon, too.
So now you have a lot of choice!
But if you still can’t decide? Then we’d say go for our top pick for the best overall hostel in Lyon, Away Hostel. The coffee here is amazing, btw!
Now all that’s left is to brush up on the old francais and get packing!
Travel Safety Tips for Lyon
And don’t forget Travel Insurance! We’ve put together a roundup of Travel Insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads, our favorite travel insurance provider.
More Epic Hostels in France and Europe
Hopefully by now you’ve found the perfect hostel for your upcoming trip to Lyon.
Planning an epic trip all across France or even Europe itself?
Don’t worry – we’ve got you covered!
For more cool hostel guides around Europe, check out:
Over to you
By now I hope our epic guide to the best hostels in Lyon has helped you choose the perfect hostel for your adventure!
If you think we’ve missed anything or have any further thoughts, hit us up in the comments!
“Find out how YOU can support the site. We work hard to put out the best backpacker resources on the web, for free! It’s all about helping out our tribe of awesome backpacker readers [that’s you!]. Please visit the link to find out how you can help keep the site going 🙂
For the sake of transparency, some of the links in our content are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation, buy a book or sort your insurance, we earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. I only link to stuff I’ve actually used and never endorse products or services that are not up to scratch. Thanks for your support.