There are several things in this world you will have to experience so that you can die with a smile on your face. Up there with the likes of the Pyramids of Giza and the Grand Canyon, you will also find the underwater wonderland of the Great Barrier Reef. As much as you may want to you can’t exactly be sleeping with the fishes, so you will have to base yourself out of the tropical paradise of Port Douglas! With just as much to do on land as the sea, this is one seaside city in Australia you won’t want to miss!
Although you will be swimming to the bottom of the ocean, you won’t exactly be swimming in cheap backpacker’s hostels in Port Douglas. There is a handful of stays that will put up your budget adventurers traveling on a shoestring, but how can you find that perfect hostel that fits how you like to travel?
That’s exactly why we made this one-stop guide to all the top hostels in Port Douglas! Now you can take one quick look over our list and find that one hostel that’s best for you as quick as you can snap your fingers!
Strap on your scuba gear and let’s dive into our list of the best hostels in Port Douglas!
Quick Answer: The Best Hostels in Port Douglas
- Overall Best Hostel in Port Douglas – Dougies Backpackers Resort
- Best Hostel for Solo Travelers in Port Douglas – Coral Beach Lodge
- Best Cheap Hostel in Port Douglas – Global Backpackers Port Douglas
- Best Hostel for Couples in Port Douglas – Nicole’s BnB
- Best Party Hostel in Port Douglas – Port Douglas Backpackers
- Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Port Douglas – Tamara’s BnB
The Best Hostels in Port Douglas
We know you can’t wait to begin exploring all the colors of the coral forest waiting for you at the bottom of the sea. But before you can be dazzled by the rainbow of colors at the floor of the ocean you will have to find that one hostel you can call home during your backpacking Australia adventures. With each stay a little different from the last, keep your eyes peeled for that one hostel that fits how you like to travel!
Best Overall Hostel in Port Douglas – Dougies Backpackers Resort
- Shared Kitchen
- Swimming Pool
With just a few backpackers hostels in Port Douglas, you can be sure that most budget travelers will be fighting tooth and nail to get a bed at Dougies Backpackers Resort! This cheap hostel will put you up in budget dorm beds while still giving you all the relaxation of staying at a resort. It is not just the barbeque pits, lounges, and terrace that will make you fall in love with this hostel. Dougies Backpackers Resort really pulls out all the stops with their swimming pool and bar! Being both relaxing and the hub for fun, Dougies Backpackers Resort has earned its spot at the top of our list for the top hostels in Port Douglas!
Best Hostel for Solo Travelers in Port Douglas – Coral Beach Lodge
- Breakfast Included
- Swimming Pool
If you are looking for a hostel that will be just as fun hanging out in as going out to explore, Coral Beach Lodge is your best spot in all of Port Douglas to call home and base all your adventures from. Putting you just a few minutes walk away from the beautiful 5-Mile Beach, you couldn’t ask for a better location! But the true fun is inside the hostel! With its very own swimming pool, lounges, games, shared kitchen, and bike rentals, there isn’t a whole lot Coral Beach Lodge doesn’t offer!
Best Cheap Hostel in Port Douglas – Global Backpackers Port Douglas
It is difficult to travel in Australia on a budget, after weeks of bleeding your wallet dry, you can breathe easy when staying at Global Backpackers! With the cheapest rooms in all of Port Douglas, you can take a few days relaxing on the beach without having to worry about saving every nickel and dime! But this hostel is so much more than just a few cheap beds. Global Backpackers has everything from an outdoor terrace to hang out with other backpackers to a bar great for grabbing a beer after a long day of exploring!
Best Hostel for Couples in Port Douglas – Nicole’s BnB
- Private Entrance
After spending some time apart while staying in dorm rooms, you and your better half will probably be wanting some much-needed alone time. So why don’t we forget about the hostels for a few nights and have you cozy up into a homey BnB! This bed and breakfast will put you up in a spacious warm room, for not much more than what you would pay at a hostel. With its very own patio and a private entrance, you will pretty much have your run of the place! Putting you in a quiet neighborhood not far from the airport, you are sure to feel right at home!
Psst! Heading to a hostel? Don’t forget to pack a padlock! It’s well worth having one so you can secure your locker and protect your stuff!
Best Party Hostel in Port Douglas – Port Douglas Backpackers
- Swimming Pool
- Shared Kitchen
While in Port Douglas, there is no better place to get the party started than no other than Port Douglas Backpackers. They will check all of the essential things off of the list such as a lounge, cheap dorm beds, and a shared kitchen. But what really sets his hostel apart is the onsite bar, swimming pool, and weekly events that really have the hostel pumping! With everything from movie nights to live DJs, this is the perfect hostel to have the party of your life! Top it off with a location putting you close to everything in Prot Douglas, you will be wanting to keep the good times rolling at this party hostel!
Single-use plastic bottles are a huge threat to Marine Life – Be a part of the solution and travel with a filter water bottle.
The GRAYL GEOPRESS water bottle is the ONLY all-in-one filter water bottle setup you’ll need. Whether you need to purify the water from a hostel sink in Kathmandu or a stream trickle in the Andes, the Geopress has got you covered.
Read our full review of the GRAYL GEOPRESS!
Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Port Douglas – Tamara’s BnB
- Shared Kitchen
- Living Room
Although you will be staying a little bit outside of Port Douglas, there is no better place to call home for a few days than this modern and spacious BnB! Perfect for all you digital nomads out there, this BnB will have you staying in bright and sunny rooms with access to an outdoor patio and living room. If you are needing to catch up on some writing or editing, this stay will give you all the peace and quiet you need to catch up on your work and get back to exploring! Putting you right by the shopping center of Cairns, you couldn’t ask for a better location!
More of the Best Hostels in Port Douglas
- Swimming Pool
- Near the Beach
You didn’t come to Port Douglas just to stay in a hostel all day, you were originally attracted to this beach town for the golden sand and blue waters. So let’s make sure you are as close as possible to taking a dip into the sea and feeling the sand between your toes by having you check-in to Valentina’s BnB! Putting you just 50 meters away from the coast, you couldn’t dream of a better location. This stay itself even included a sunny garden and its very own swimming pool. With its cozy rooms and relaxing vibes, this is one BnB you will never be wanting to leave!
What to Pack for your Port Douglas Hostel
Pants, socks, underwear… Here are some other items you might not have thought to pack.
1. TRTL Travel Pillow: Long flights and bus rides are quite uncomfortable (most obvious statement of the day). Most travel pillows… Well, you know how they are. TRTL travel pillow is different. I mean, look at it! It’ll cuddle you to sleep every ride and it does a pretty damn good job of supporting your neck so you don’t get that stiffness or legendary popping when you stir.
2. Active Roots Water Bottle: Hostels are increasingly meeting backpackers’ demands for potable (drinkable) water. Now is better than ever to start traveling with a reusable water bottle! Aside from cutting down single-use plastic, The Active Roots stainless steel water bottle will also keep your favorite beverage hot or cold all day long and it’s sized perfectly to fit an entire bottle of wine. ‘Nuff said.
3. Universal Travel Adapter: Not every country has the same electrical plug style, so carry along a universal travel adapter. You’ll want one that covers varying voltage levels, has protection from power surges, a fried laptop is not fun, and enough ports so you don’t have to spend all day individually charging your devices.
4. Active Roots Toiletry Bag: The Active Roots Toiletry bag keeps all of your bathroom essential items organized instead of flowing around your backpack. Having everything handy and accessible in one water-resistant bag is a bathroom lifesaver. This toiletry bag also helps from being that embarrassed person walking back to the dorm room, in a towel, to grab forgotten shampoo.
5. Headphone Splitter: Being stuck on a bus or plane with only one phone that has good music or shows downloaded can be pretty annoying if your travel buddy wants to share headphones. With this Headphone Splitter, you won’t have to listen with only one ear anymore. Your friend can plug in their headphones at the same time, so both of you are entertained (on both ears!).
6. Noise-Cancelling Earbuds: You’ll have some pretty sorry roommates – it happens from time to time. These noise-canceling earbuds help mitigate the damage. The comfortable and ergonomic design won’t hurt your ears while sleeping no matter how long you keep them in. Increase the quality of your sleep by listening to some relaxing music at night or just enjoy the are out.
Why you should travel to Port Douglas
From exploring the depths of the sea at the Great Barrier Reef to laying out on 4-Mile Beach, Port Douglas will have you cuddling with koalas and taking a dip into the tranquil blue waters off the coast of Australia. Planning what to explore first is the fun part, but unfortunately, you will first have to tackle the task of finding that perfect stay to base yourself out of.
With som many great backpackers hostels and BnBs to choose from in Port Douglas, we can understand if you are still scratching your head on where to stay. Let us point you in the right direction by having you book into Dougies Backpackers Resort, our pick for the best hostel in Port Douglas!
Over to you
Put on your fins and hold your breath, you will be diving into Port Douglas before you know it! All of the yellow sand beaches, coral reefs, and wildlife will be waiting just outside your window as you begin exploring all of the beauty and wonders of Australia! With day trips out to tropical islands and lazy beaches that look too good not to lay a towel out on, Port Douglas is that dream vacation you have been looking forward to!
If you’re planning on travelling further, you can be (almost always) sure that you’ll find a great place to stay wherever you are. There are so many amazing hostels all over Australia, each of them offering a comfy bed, a welcoming vibe, and a chance to meet like-minded travellers – you’ll be well looked after!
If you have ever traveled to Port Douglas and stayed at any great backpacker’s hostels we may have missed we would love to hear about it in the comments below!
And don’t forget Travel Insurance! We’ve put together a roundup of Travel Insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads, our favorite travel insurance provider.
Getting an estimate from World Nomads is simple – just click the button or image below, fill out the necessary info, and you’re on your way!
Do you own or run a kick ass hostel? Want to be featured in this list? Get in touch at [email protected]
“Find out how YOU can support the site. We work hard to put out the best backpacker resources on the web, for free! It’s all about helping out our tribe of awesome backpacker readers [that’s you!]. Please visit the link to find out how you can help keep the site going 🙂
For the sake of transparency, some of the links in our content are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation, buy a book or sort your insurance, we earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. I only link to stuff I’ve actually used and never endorse products or services that are not up to scratch. Thanks for your support.