We know all you yogis and meditators out there have been dreaming of a contemplative retreat to Rishikesh for awhile! Located on the bank of the Ganges River, Rishikesh’s importance can only be rivaled by that of the city of Varanasi. But even Varanasi can’t complete with the hiking and natural beauty of Rishikesh!
Looking to open up your third eye and let your chakra flow? Or maybe you are just passing through wanting to gawk at the hippie enclave.
Depending on why you are in Rishikesh, you probably want to find a hostel to cater to your needs. From meditating to yoga, you are sure to find a hostel that speaks your language!
Close your eyes and feel at peace! We did all the hard work for you so you can find all the best hostels on this side of the Ganges!
Get ready to roll out your yoga mats! You will be chanting “Om” in Rishikesh before you know it!
Quick answer: The Best Hostels in Rishikesh
- Best Overall Hostel in Rishikesh – Shiv Shakti Hostel
- Best Party Hostel in Rishikesh – Skyard Hostel
- Best Hostel for Solo Travellers in Rishikesh – Moustache Rishikesh
- Best Cheap Hostel in Rishikesh – Into The Unknown
- Best Hostel for Couples in Rishikesh – The Hosteller
- Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Rishikesh – Bunk Stay Rishikesh
- Best Hostel with a Private Room in Rishikesh – Live Free Hostel
Best Hostels in Rishikesh
Backpacking India and headed to Rishikesh? Then check out these top hostels.
Best Overall Hostel in Rishikesh – Shiv Shakti
- Nightly Yoga Classes
- Thursday Dinners
- Rooftop Lounge
Shiv Shakti is one of those India backpackers hostels that you will be recommending to other travelers you run into while traveling through India. It is not all the bells and whistles that make this one of the best places to stay in Rishikesh, but it is by far one of the most chill places to call home. (You can imagine a place in Rishikesh being chill, it is going to be extremely chill)
With a rooftop lounge where you will be sipping on that piping hot cup of milk tea and even nightly yoga classes so you can feel a sense of zen before hitting the hay, Shiv Shakti is all about soaking in all the relaxing atmosphere of the mystic Ganges!
Best Party Hostel in Rishikesh – Skyard Hostel
- Yoga Classes
Rishikesh is a place tucked into the foothills of the Himalayas, located on the banks of the holy Ganges River. You can expect to get totally trashed while traveling through this contemplative and religious city, but that doesn’t mean you can’t party! Skyard Hostel offers backpackers live music, stunning views of the city, and even a cafe in view of the river!
Once you have had your fill moving to the music or swinging from a hammock, Skyard Hostel is your home base for all you adrenaline junkies out there! With rafting, bungee jumping, and trekking, every day will be a perfect mix of relaxation and heart-pumping action!
Best Hostel for Solo Travelers in Rishikesh – Moustache Rishikesh
- Yoga Lessons
Wake up every morning with beautiful views of the nature surrounding Rishikesh with a free steaming cup of chai in hand! It’s not just the mountains and rivers you will get in touch with while staying at Moustache, but this backpackers hostel is all about kicking back, relaxing, and meeting other backpackers!
From the spacious lounges to the rooftop patio, there is more than one place to hang out and break the ice! With Moustache’s yoga classes, group treks, and even rafting, this backpackers hostel will have you making memories both within its doors and out!
Best Cheap Hostel in Rishikesh – Into The Unknown
- Yoga Sessions
- Rooftop Lounge
Traveling on a budget through India is not that hard of a feat, but if you are truly looking to stretch out those last couple of rupees in Rishikesh then Into The Unknown will hook you up with some of the cheapest beds in (dare I say it?) the country!
Other than a place where you can travel on a shoestring, Into The Unknown will have you become a little more familiar with Rishikesh. With group hikes and city tours just scratching the surface of adventures around Rishikesh, you are sure to have the time of your life!
The fun isn’t just out in the city. Into The Unknown also has its very own rooftop lounge, gaming areas, and views which will make you feel like Rishikesh is your oyster!
Best Hostel for Couples in Rishikesh – The Hosteller
- Swimming Pool
We all know the old saying: “The way to a man’s (or woman’s) heart is through the stomach”. For all those couples out there, prepare yourself for a romantic backpacking getaway like no other! At The Hosteller, they up the ante with balconies giving stunning views of Rishikesh and some of the best food you can find on this end of the Ganges!
After having a couple of days of eating your body weight in delicious food, work off some of those calories with a hostel organized tour! From rafting to candlelit dinners, The Hosteller will give you and your boo a holiday to remember!
Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Rishikesh – Bunk Stay Rishikesh
- Beanbag Chairs!
While traveling through India it may difficult to find that steady wi-fi connection to get that latest post up. At Bunk Stay Rishikesh you won’t only have some of the strongest internet connections in town, but you will also have loads of space to spread out in and get to work! With indoor and outdoor lounges, plus a rooftop terrace, finding that perfect spot to get down to work is a sinch!
After you close that laptop that is when the real fun begins! Bunk Stay will have you sitting cross-legged in a yoga studio or rafting down the Ganges before you know it!
Best Hostel with a Private Room in Rishikesh – Live Free Hostel
- Yoga Classes
Needing an escape from all those smelly backpackers and hippies? Treat yourself to a couple of nights in Live Free Hostel’s private rooms! With some of the cheapest beds in town, you will feel refreshed and back out and socializing before you know it! It’s not only the single rooms where you can get some alone time, the dorm beds even come with their very own privacy curtains!
Just because you want some peace and quiet at night doesn’t mean you still can’t have a good time! Live Free Hostel also hosts its very own yoga classes and tours which will have you exploring each nook and cranny of Rishikesh!
Psst! Heading to a hostel? Don’t forget to pack a padlock! It’s well worth having one so you can secure your locker and protect your stuff!
More Best Hostels in Rishikesh
Zostel is another one of those hostels that has an indescribable vibe that makes you keep extending your stay night after night! The lounges are the heart of the hostel. It is here where you will be meeting other backpackers, sharing stories, and listening to great music all night long!
Looking to take the party out of the hostel? Zostel can hook you and other travelers up with tours and treks taking you to all of the most beautiful places around Rishikesh!
Single-use plastic bottles are a huge threat to Marine Life – Be a part of the solution and travel with a filter water bottle.
The GRAYL GEOPRESS water bottle is the ONLY all-in-one filter water bottle setup you’ll need. Whether you need to purify the water from a hostel sink in Kathmandu or a stream trickle in the Andes, the Geopress has got you covered.
Read our full review of the GRAYL GEOPRESS!
- Swimming Pool
There are not many hostels in India which can hold a lift to Shalom Rishikesh! Putting you right in the heart of Rishikesh, this backpackers hostel will have you within walking distance of all the best restaurants, bars, and yoga studios! If you trying to become a teacher, some of the best yoga teacher training in Rishikesh is close by.
With so much to do in the hostel, you may not even have time to go out and explore! With their very own swimming pool, restaurant, and kitchen, you will have everything you need to make Rishikesh your new home away from home!
- Yoga Sessions
goStops Rishikesh is a backpackers hostel which pulls out all the stops to make weary travelers feel right at home. From the second you hit the door, the cute bright decor will have you shake off any preconceived stereotypes of a smelly youth hostel.
With their very own outdoor patio, lounges, and theatre, goStops is the perfect place to just hang out after a long day of exploring Rishikesh! Top it all off with musical instruments and even games, goStops will have you setting the bar a little higher for what a great backpackers hostel should be!
What to Pack for your Rishikesh Hostel
Pants, socks, underwear… Here are some other items you might not have thought to pack.
1. Active Roots Microfiber Towel: Having your own towel on your travels is a game changer. The Active Roots Microfiber Towel is perfect for travellers who are looking for a lightweight, quick-drying and extremely soft option. The antibacterial material is super water-absorbent and resists odor buildup because of its antimicrobial material. Ain’t technology cool?
2. Padlock: Theft happens in hostels, so keep a padlock to clip on your locker. This padlock can also double to keep your pack shut while in-transit. No need for keys (which can easily be lost or stolen too), you just have to remember a three-digit number to unlock your travel essentials.
3. Headphone Splitter: You’re the one with the Netflix account and your friend wants to watch too? But you don’t want to share headphones? And you’re good people who wouldn’t disturb your dorm mates? That’s not going to be a problem with this Headphone Splitter! Plug in two pairs of headphones at the same time, so both of you are able to listen to music or watch shows simultaneously. It comes in handy and won’t weigh you down.
4. Active Roots Water Bottle: Sturdy and durable, the Active Roots water bottle survives the roughest adventures while keeping your drink cold or hot for at least 24 hours. Vacuum-sealed and made from stainless steel, the bottle can fit 25oz, which is plenty to keep you hydrated. Super cool bonus: the bottle isn’t just super useful, it helps to reduce the single-use plastic waste – save the planet by filling up your bottle.
5. Noise-Cancelling Earbuds: You’ll have some pretty sorry roommates – it happens from time to time. These noise-canceling earbuds help mitigate the damage. The comfortable and ergonomic design won’t hurt your ears while sleeping no matter how long you keep them in. Increase the quality of your sleep by listening to some relaxing music at night or just enjoy the silence.
6. TRTL Travel Pillow: Long flights and bus rides are quite uncomfortable (most obvious statement of the day). Most travel pillows… Well, you know how they are. TRTL travel pillow is different. I mean, look at it! It’ll cuddle you to sleep every ride and it does a pretty damn good job of supporting your neck so you don’t get that stiffness or legendary popping when you stir.
To know what to bring when staying in hostels, check out our Hostel Packing List!
While in the yoga capital of the world, get ready for stunning views of the mountains, tranquil waters, and getting back in touch with nature. If opening your third eye doesn’t quite strike your fancy, you will still have a town with a rich history stretching from Lord Shiva to The Beatles to explore!
In Rishikesh, you have so many hostels offering yoga lessons and rooftop views, we can understand if you are still a bit unsure about where to stay in this holy city.
If you are wanting to experience all the culture and history of Rishikesh properly, you have to check-yourself into Shiv Shakti Hostel. Our pick for the best backpackers hostel in Rishikesh!
Get ready to say “namaste” to your new home away from home. Your spiritual journey is just a few clicks away!
And don’t forget Travel Insurance! We’ve put together a roundup of Travel Insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads, our favorite travel insurance provider.
Getting an estimate from World Nomads is simple – just click the button or image below, fill out the necessary info, and you’re on your way!
Do you own or run a kick ass hostel? Want to be featured in this list? Get in touch at [email protected]
“Find out how YOU can support the site. We work hard to put out the best backpacker resources on the web, for free! It’s all about helping out our tribe of awesome backpacker readers [that’s you!]. Please visit the link to find out how you can help keep the site going 🙂
For the sake of transparency, some of the links in our content are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation, buy a book or sort your insurance, we earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. I only link to stuff I’ve actually used and never endorse products or services that are not up to scratch. Thanks for your support.