Surfers Paradise is a super fun, action-packed resort town located along the Gold Coast. It’s a hub for backpackers (people literally spend months here) and, of course, surfers are pretty keen on it too. So are students.
The stretch of beach here is absolutely massive, but the high-rise town itself is packed full of friendly locals and bars and clubs to keep you entertained.
But being a pretty well-known tourist town, and backpacker town, too, how could you possibly decide on a place to stay? (There are loads of ’em).
Don’t worry! We got you. Below you’ll find the best hostels in Surfers Paradise, all arranged into categories. We’ve done all the legwork for you, making your life easy when it comes to choosing a Surfers Paradise hostel that’s best for you.
So, what are you waiting for? Cast your eyes over our handy list!
Table of Contents
Quick answer: The Best Hostels in Surfers Paradise
- Best Overall Hostel in Surfers Paradise – Bunk Surfers Paradise
- Best Party Hostel in Surfers Paradise – Budds In Surfers
- Best Hostel for Solo Travellers in Surfers Paradise – Down Under Hostels by The Beach
- Best Cheap Hostel in Surfers Paradise – Couple O’ Days Backpackers
- Best Hostel for Couples in Surfers Paradise – Surfers Paradise Backpackers Resort
- Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Surfers Paradise – Down Under Hostels
- Best Hostel with a Private Room in Surfers Paradise – Sleeping Inn in Surfers Paradise
7 Best Hostels in Surfers Paradise
Best Overall Hostel in Surfers Paradise – Bunk Surfers Paradise
– Free Breakfast
– Swimming Pool
– Games Room
This is the best overall hostel in Surfers Paradise because of a lot of things: these include the ace location right next to the beach (100 metres), super cool dorm rooms, and its pool… and hot tub. So there’s a lot going for this Surfers Paradise backpackers hostel, that’s for sure.
The whole place has been completely renovated and the beds have privacy screens and power points, which is just perfect for the modern backpacker – like yourself (probably). It’s also got private balconies, it’s clean and it’s a short walk to a load of cool places to eat and drink.
Best Party Hostel in Surfers Paradise – Budds In Surfers
– Free Breakfast
– Bicycle Hire
– Games Room
This place really works hard to make sure everyone feels welcome and has a good time, which is the best sorta vibe you want when you’re checking into the best party hostel in Surfers Paradise. It’s a casual kinda place with a buzzy atmosphere: if you wanna party, there’s always something going on.
Events (and perks) include a big backpacker night out, and bar crawls, as well as nightly dinner and bar deals. But of course, if you wanna stay in – sure! You can just play a few games of pool and grab some cheap drinks from the hostel bar. Easy.
Best Hostel for Solo Travellers in Surfers Paradise – Down Under Hostels by The Beach
– Movie Nights
– Nights Out
– Free Laundry
One of the best Surfers Paradise backpackers hostels, the atmosphere created by the staff and guests at this place is super fun and feels like a small community rather than a place to sleep. There’s always some kinda activity happening – easy to make friends with other peeps here.
The location is super close to the beach. You can also BYOB here, which is great both for keeping costs down and for getting to know people (it’s always better with a drink!). Fun, safe, what more do you want from the best hostel for solo travellers in Surfers Paradise?
Best Hostel Cheap Hostel in Surfers Paradise – Couple O’ Days Backpackers
– Communal Kitchen
– Swimming Pool
– Free Parking
I mean, it says it in the name. This is a great place to stay for – you guessed it – a couple o’ days. This top hostel in Surfers Paradise is a pretty quiet place, and it’s clean and run by friendly staff. A great place to chill and take some time off from partying.
Ok, so it might not be the most modern hostel around – like, it could do with a lick of paint – but if you’re looking for the best cheap hostel in Surfers Paradise, and you really wanna keep costs down, then you should probably think about staying here. Decent option for a short stay.
Best Hostel for Couples in Surfers Paradise – Surfers Paradise Backpackers Resort
– Swimming Pool
– Games Room
Just a 2-minute stroll to the beach, when it comes to travelling as a couple this is a highly recommended hostel in Surfers Paradise. It’s a chilled out spot with a volleyball court, quiz nights, pizza nights, all the kinda stuff that makes staying here pretty much loadsa fun.
Since it’s the best hostel for couples in Surfers Paradise, naturally you can expect that there’s some space to chill out together (there are various common rooms to choose from), plus you can make a dinner for two in the kitchen, or head out to town for a bite to eat. Nice place.
Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Surfers Paradise – Down Under Hostels
– Jobs Board
– Cable TV
This place has a WHOLE LOAD of space to get some work done. There are even 5 iMacs set-up for guest use, which is pretty good if you need to get some work done. Decor wise, it’s one of the coolest hostels in Surfers Paradise: think white tiles, clean lines, minimalism, and a very upscale feeling lounge.
There’s a pool table here and a cinema room for when the work’s done (or you need a break from staring at your emails), and it’s LESS than 200 metres from the beach. Now if that isn’t the best hostel for digital nomads in Surfers Paradise, then we don’t know WHAT is.
Best Hostel with a Private Room in Surfers Paradise – Sleeping Inn in Surfers Paradise
– Swimming Pool
– Pool Table
– Laundry Facilities
When it comes to the best hostel with a private room in Surfers Paradise, well, this is pretty much it. Like, woo, they’re nice. They’ve got proper big beds, actual furniture to put your clothes into, like an actual home away from home instead of a Surfers Paradise backpackers hostel.
And when you’ve had enough of reclining on your own you can head to the lounge and chat with other travellers, or go hang out by the pool (always a good icebreaker… but we don’t know why). There’s always all sorts of events going on, from BBQs to movie nights, meaning you’ll never get bored here. No music after 10pm though.
What to Pack for your Surfers Paradise Hostel
We don’t often travel without packing these essentials for an epic Australia adventure!
1. Sea to Summit Travel Soap: The Sea to Summit multipurpose soap leaves are the perfect hygiene travel companion. The individual, Leave-no-Trace-certified strips are great for keeping your hands clean before you eat in that dodgy but delicious restaurant. There are also little strip packs for laundry, shampoo and shaving.
2. Active Roots Water Bottle: Sturdy and durable, the Active Roots water bottle survives the roughest adventures while keeping your drink cold or hot for at least 24 hours. Vacuum-sealed and made from stainless steel, the bottle can fit 25oz, which is plenty to keep you hydrated. Super cool bonus: the bottle isn’t just super useful, it helps to reduce the single-use plastic waste – save the planet by filling up your bottle.
3. Padlock: Theft happens in hostels, so keep a padlock to clip on your locker. This padlock can also double to keep your pack shut while in-transit. No need for keys (which can easily be lost or stolen too), you just have to remember a three-digit number to unlock your travel essentials.
4. Active Roots Toiletry Bag: Keep your bath-and-beauty items organized and in the right place with this water-resistant bag. With large compartments, mesh and enclosed clear sections, you can fit everything you might need inside. Hang it up or let it stand on its own – this bag is a must-have for dorm-lifers.
5. Headphone Splitter: You’re the one with the Netflix account and your friend wants to watch too? But you don’t want to share headphones? And you’re good people who wouldn’t disturb your dorm mates? That’s not going to be a problem with this Headphone Splitter! Plug in two pairs of headphones at the same time, so both of you are able to listen to music or watch shows simultaneously. It comes in handy and won’t weigh you down.
6. Noise-Cancelling Earbuds: You’ll have some pretty sorry roommates – it happens from time to time. These noise-canceling earbuds help mitigate the damage. The comfortable and ergonomic design won’t hurt your ears while sleeping no matter how long you keep them in. Increase the quality of your sleep by listening to some relaxing music at night or just enjoy the silence.
Why you should travel to Surfers Paradise
So, now you know all about the best hostels in Surfers Paradise.
From the coolest places in town to some of the cheapest, there’s a little bit of everything in our handy guide.
Whether you wanna party and turn up, or chill with your partner as you road trip down the Gold Coast (or up – contentious subject!), there’ll be something there for you.
And if you’re still having trouble deciding where to stay? No worries! Just head to our top pick for the best overall hostel in Surfers Paradise, which is Bunk Surfers Paradise.
See you on the beach!
Travel Safety Tips for Surfers Paradise
And don’t forget to sort your travel insurance before heading to Surfers Paradise! We’ve put together a roundup of the best travel insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads, our favorite travel insurance provider.
Getting an estimate from World Nomads is simple – just click the button or image below, fill out the necessary info, and you’re on your way!
More Epic Hostels in Australia
Hopefully by now you’ve found the perfect hostel for your upcoming trip to Surfers Paradise.
Planning an epic trip all across Australia itself?
Don’t worry – we’ve got you covered!
For more cool hostel guides around Australia, check out:
Over to you
By now I hope our epic guide to the best hostels in Surfers Paradise has helped you choose the perfect hostel for your adventure!
If you’re planning on travelling further, you can be (almost always) sure that you’ll find a great place to stay wherever you are. There are so many amazing hostels all over Australia, each of them offering a comfy bed, a welcoming vibe, and a chance to meet like-minded travellers – you’ll be well looked after!
If you think we’ve missed anything or have any further thoughts, hit us up in the comments!
Yay for transparency! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, The Broke Backpacker will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps keep the site going.
Need More Inspiration?
Like this post? PIN ME!!!
Noodle addict. City dweller. Aaron Radcliffe is the marketing ninja for The Broke Backpacker, founder of Nomads Nation and Co-Founder of Ditch Your Desk.