Lay out on the sunkissed sandy beaches, explore the ancient castles, or take to the seas and surf on the waves. Tarifa offers a little bit of everything to appeal to all kinds of travelers. Regardless of whether you’re looking for a lazy seaside holiday or want to tear up the dancefloor every night, Spain’s Tarifa is a city where the party never stops and the possibilities are endless! With crumbling Roman ruins, chic boutique shops, and a diverse cultural influence, travelers will find a fascinating mix of Spain and Morocco in Tarifa.
Before you head out to explore the old city or start riding the waves, you’ll need to find a hostel to call home during your stay in Tarifa. Although this seaside paradise is no stranger to tourists, you may find it difficult to score a hostel that fits how you like to travel.
You could easily spend hours tabbing through the different hostels and dorm rooms in Tarifa before finding that perfect place to call home.
Let us save you time and energy by bringing all the best hostels in Tarifa straight to you! Now, you can book with confidence that you’re staying in one of the top hostels Spain has to offer.
Let’s get right to it…
Quick Answer: The Best Hostels in Tarifa
- Overall Best Hostel in Tarifa – Ohana Tarifa Hostel
- Best Hostel for Solo Travelers in Tarifa – Wake Up in Tarifa
- Best Cheap Hostel in Tarifa – Wild House Tarifa
- Best Hostel for Couples in Tarifa – Tarifa Watersports Residence
- Best Party Hostel in Tarifa – South Hostel Tarifa
- Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Tarifa – La Cocotera Boutique Hostel
The Best Hostels in Tarifa
Without a doubt, Tarifa offers some of the best hostels in Spain. Whether you’re looking for something affordable, stylish or great for socializing, there will be the right accommodation for you. We’ve listed the best ones below. make sure you choose wisely – a good hostel can make or break your Spain backpacking trip.
Best Overall Hostel in Tarifa – Ohana Tarifa Hostel
- Breakfast 3 EUR
Putting you right by Plaza de Santa María and the Estrecho Natural Park, Ohana Tarifa Hostel is the best place in Tarifa for backpackers to base themselves out of! Not only does the location put you right by all the best sights, bars, and shops, but this youth hostel will also show you the time of your life! With an onsite bar and a cafe, you can kick back and hang out with other guests with a drink in hand!
Want to hit the waves? Ohana Tarifa also has a kite surfing school and scuba diving facilities, so you can explore the Mediterranean any way you want! With a cheap breakfast served every morning in the cafe and laid back vibes, there’s no better hostel to call home in Tarifa than the Ohana Tarifa Hostel!
Best Hostel for Solo Travelers in Tarifa – Wake Up in Tarifa
This boutique hostel in Tarifa is beautiful. With its minimalist white walls and pastel colors, you’ll feel like you’re staying in a stylish homestay rather than a run-of-the-mill backpacker’s hostel. The design is just the beginning; Wake Up In Tarifa also has a terrace and a lounge so you can soak up some rays or relax indoors while chatting with other travelers.
There’s a cafe serving meals throughout the day, and every night, you’ll have the choice of going out to eat at one of the many nearby restaurants or staying closer to home to grab a bite! With a one of a kind atmosphere and comfort second to none, Wake Up In Tarifa is one hostel that you could easily extend your stay at night after night!
Best Cheap Hostel in Tarifa – Wild House Tarifa
- Breakfast Included
We all know that traveling in Europe isn’t exactly cheap. So, let us help you save some money while staying in Tarifa by checking into Wild House Tarifa. This hotel may have the most affordable beds in town. They also pack quite a punch when it comes to all the extra perks! With an onsite bar and cafe, you can choose to dine-in or out while exploring Tarifa.
Complete with a lounge and an outdoor terrace, Wilde House Tarifa is one of the best places in town to kick back and chat with like-minded travelers. Putting you just a short walk from the beach, Wild House Tarifa will help you enjoy Spain to the fullest!
Best Hostel for Couples in Tarifa – Tarifa Watersports Residence
- Shared Kitchen
While traveling through Spain, have you been kept apart from your boyfriend or girlfriend since you’ve been staying in dorm rooms? Let’s get you guys back together and turn on the romance by having you stay at Tarifa Watersports Residence! Although you will find dorm beds at this hostel, Tarifa Watersports Residence has the heart and soul of a homestay.
With its homey decor and boutique-style, you’ll feel as if you’re staying with a family in Tarifa rather than your average budget hotel. With a shared kitchen, lounge, and even a terrace, you’ll have the option to get some alone time in your cheap private room or mix with the other guests!
The GRAYL GEOPRESS water bottle is the ONLY all-in-one filter water bottle setup you'll need. Whether you need to purify the water from a hostel sink in Kathmandu or a stream trickle in the Andes, the Geopress has got you covered. Check out our full review here for more convincing.
Best Party Hostel in Tarifa – South Hostel Tarifa
- Live Music
For those looking to get a bit wild in Tarifa, look no further than South Hostel Tarifa. Not only will this hostel hook you up with tours of the surrounding countryside and kite surfing lessons, but they will also get the party started every night! You can grab a drink at the onsite bar before heading out to the terrace to catch some live music! Feeling a bit hungry? South Hostel Tarifa has its very own cafe serving up delicious meals every day! No matter if you’re looking to go scuba diving or rock climbing, the adventure starts from South Hostel Tarifa!
Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Tarifa – La Cocotera Boutique Hostel
- Shared Kitchen
Are you a digital nomad needing a backpacker’s hostel to crash at for a few days to catch up on some writing and editing? La Cocotera Boutique Hostel was created with remote workers in mind! With ample room to spread out, you can get to work in the spacious lounge or rooftop terrace.
While you’re busy typing away, you’ll also get stunning views of the surrounding city of Tarifa from the balcony! When you’re finally able to close your laptop, La Cocotera Boutique Hostel will help you explore all the beauty of Tarifa with its tailor-made tours!
More of the Best Hostels in Tarifa
Deciding where to stay in Spain can be a real struggle. But when it comes to choosing between Tarifa and another destination, the decision is rather easy – there are just too many awesome spots here! If you haven’t found the right hostel for you yet, don’t worry, we’ve got more coming your way!
- Bike Hire
While lounging on the rooftop terrace with a cold beer in hand, guests will be offered stunning views of the sea and surrounding castles at Rebels Tarifa Hostel! This unique backpacker’s hostel not only has some of the coolest places to kick back and hang out with other travelers, but the design will have you never wanting to leave!
Looking to go out to the beach or hit the waves? Rebels Tarifa Hostel has its very own kite school. Even if you have no experience kite surfing or scuba diving, the staff at Rebels will teach you how to get out there and see Tarifa from a new perspective!
What to Pack for Your Tarifa Hostel
Here’s some gear our editors take hostelling. Packing for Spain is just as important as planning your trip ahead, so do it properly!
1. Active Roots Toiletry Bag: The Active Roots Toiletry bag keeps all of your bathroom essential items organized instead of flowing around your backpack. Having everything handy and accessible in one water-resistant bag is a bathroom lifesaver. This toiletry bag also helps from being that embarrassed person walking back to the dorm room, in a towel, to grab forgotten shampoo.
2. Active Roots Water Bottle: Hostels are increasingly meeting backpackers’ demands for potable (drinkable) water. Now is better than ever to start traveling with a reusable water bottle! Aside from cutting down single-use plastic, The Active Roots stainless steel water bottle will also keep your favorite beverage hot or cold all day long and it’s sized perfectly to fit an entire bottle of wine. ‘Nuff said.
3. Universal Travel Adapter: Not every country has the same electrical plug style, so carry along a universal travel adapter. You’ll want one that covers varying voltage levels, has protection from power surges, a fried laptop is not fun, and enough ports so you don’t have to spend all day individually charging your devices.
4. TRTL Travel Pillow: Long flights and bus rides are quite uncomfortable (most obvious statement of the day). Most travel pillows… Well, you know how they are. TRTL travel pillow is different. I mean, look at it! It’ll cuddle you to sleep every ride and it does a pretty damn good job of supporting your neck so you don’t get that stiffness or legendary popping when you stir.
5. Padlock: Keep your stuff safe, guys. Unfortunately not all dorm lockers share the same security standard. You’ll want a lightweight lock that can fit all the various dorm lockers you’ll clip it to. Having a padlock that is flexible and can fit a variety of locker styles is the best way to make sure none of your belongings wander away while you are out.
6. Power Bank: Showing up to a new city, after a 14-hour bus ride, with a dead phone and no directions to your hostel is a half-awake, messy nightmare. Putting a good power bank in your pack is the best and easiest way to keep your important electronics charged up for those long travel and sightseeing days.
Why You Should Travel to Tarifa
Climb to the top of crumbling tours, explore ancient ruins, and soak up the sun while on the beach. While you’re vacationing in Tarifa, no two days will ever be the same! Whether you’re looking for culture or a party, you’ll find it off the southern shores of Spain!
Still not sure where to stay in Tarifa? Let’s help get the ball moving by giving you our recommendation on where to stay. For the best backpacker experience, be sure to check into Ohana Tarifa Hostel, our pick for the best hostel in Tarifa!
And don’t forget to sort your travel insurance before heading to Tarifa! We’ve put together a roundup of the best travel insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads, our favorite travel insurance provider.
Getting an estimate from World Nomads is simple – just click the button or image below, fill out the necessary info, and you’re on your way!
Over to you
Step back in time while exploring the ancient castle, Castillo de Guzman el Bueno; find a breathtaking view of the city from Castillo de Santa Catalina, or just enjoy some wine while relaxing at a streetside cafe. Tarifa is a city that will have you embarking on a new adventure every day. No matter if you want a lazy holiday on the beach or an experience crossing the sea into Morocco, this is one trip you’ll remember for a lifetime!
What will really set the tone for your trip in Tarifa is the backpacker’s hostel you book yourself into. Will you be partying each night until the break of dawn? Or will you kick back and relax in a lounge chilling with the other guests? With our list of the top hostels in Tarifa, you’ll be able to find the perfect stay that fits how you like to travel!
Have you ever traveled to Tarifa? We’d love to hear about your trip! Let us know in the comments below if there are any great hostels we may have missed!
Do you own or run a kick ass hostel? Want to be featured in this list? Get in touch at [email protected]
Yay for transparency! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, The Broke Backpacker will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps keep the site going.