Corsica is an island of incredible beauty. Set in the Mediterranean Sea, it boasts stunning beaches, lush natural scenery, delicious food and fascinating history. In short, it’s the ideal holiday destination for travellers young and old.
But, there are tones of towns and villages to choose from and deciding where to stay can be overwhelming. That’s why we wrote this guide for where to stay in Corsica.
Our article breaks down Corsica’s best towns into easy to digest categories, so you can quickly decide which is right for you.
Whether you’re looking to lounge on the beach, enjoy a few drinks, or experience Corsica’s vibrant traditions and culture, you’ve come to the right place.
Get ready for some exciting recommendations – and maybe even a surprise or two. Let’s get right into where to stay in Corsica, France.
Quick Tips – Where to Stay in Corsica
- Where to stay in Corsica first time – Calvi
- Where to stay in Corsica on a budget – Ajaccio
- Best area to stay in Corsica for nightlife – Bastia
- Coolest place to stay in Corsica – Corte
- Best neighbourhood in Corsica for families – Porto-Vecchio
In a hurry? Here’s my top neighborhood for first timers:
- Go diving and explore the coral that lives off the coast of Corsica
- Enjoy a glass of wine and spectacular views at Chez Tao
- Visit the Chapelle de Notre Dame de la Serra and enjoy the stunning views
Table of Contents
- Where to Stay in Corsica
- Corsica Neighborhood Guide
- Corsica’s 5 Best Neighborhoods to Stay in
- 1. Calvi – Where to Stay in Corsica First Time
- 2. Ajaccio – Where to Stay in Corsica on a Budget
- 3. Bastia – Best Area to Stay in Corsica for Nightlife
- 4. Corte – Coolest Place to Stay in Corsica
- 5. Porto-Vecchio – Best Neighbourhood in Corsica for Families
Where to Stay in Corsica
Looking for a specific place to stay? These are our highest recommendations for places to stay in Corsica.
Best Budget Hotel in Corsica: Ibis Budget Ajaccio
This great two-star hotel is our pick for the best budget accommodations in Corsica. It is located near the Musee Fesch and is a short drive to Ajaccio Cathedral. This hotel offers 80 modern rooms with essential amenities. You’ll also have access to a tour desk, laundry facilities and luggage storage.
Best Hotel in Corsica: Hotel San Giovanni
This excellent two-star hotel is our top choice the best hotel in Corsica. It has a great location in Porto-Vecchio and is a short distance from popular sightseeing attractions. This hotel boasts an outdoor swimming pool, a sun-soaked terrace and a relaxing garden. There’s also an on-site restaurant, perfect for unwinding after a long day.
Corsica Neighborhood Guide
Quick Summary: The Best Places to Stay in Corsica
|Check Top HostelCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top HostelCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top HostelCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top HostelCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top HostelCheck Top Hotel|
Corsica is a stunning island and region of France. It is located in the Mediterranean Sea and is set southeast of France and west of Italy.
It is known as the “Island of Beauty” thanks to its more than 1,000-kilometer coastline, its stunning sandy beaches, its rugged mountain passes and its charming hilltop villages.
Corsica is an animated island that offers so much to travellers, from sampling fresh and delicious seafood to dancing the night away as well as experience its rich history and culture.
The island is divided into two districts: Haute-Corse and Corse-du-Sud. Each district is home to a variety of charming towns and historic villages. This guide will highlight the “must-see” attractions in the five best towns in Corsica.
Starting in the north we have Bastia. This dynamic city boasts a stunning historic centre with charming architecture and lively cafes.
On the west coast is Calvi. Corsica’s main tourist centre, Calvi has a vibrant atmosphere and a chequered past. Here you can enjoy a good selection of dining, shopping and sightseeing options.
Corte is a small town set at the centre of Corsica. Surrounded by mountains, Corte is the perfect destination for travellers looking to hike, trek, or get off the beaten tourist path.
On the southwestern coast of Corsica is Ajaccio. A stunning city with a rich history, Ajaccio is packed with meandering streets, colourful buildings, bustling cafes, and beautiful beaches.
And finally, set on Corsica’s southeastern coast is Porto-Vecchio. Seamlessly combining stunning beaches and beautiful mountain scenery, Porto-Vecchio is ideal for travellers looking to kick back, relax and enjoy the views.
Still not sure where to stay in Corsica? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered!
Corsica’s 5 Best Neighborhoods to Stay in
In this next section, we’ll take a look, in more detail, at the five best towns to stay in Corsica. Each offers something a little different, so be sure to read each section carefully and choose the town that’s the right fit for you!
Calvi is a city located on the northwest coast of Corsica. It is the island’s main tourist centre and is where you’ll find a great variety of historical attractions and heritage landmarks, as well as beaches, bars, and shops. With so much for travellers to see and do, Calvi is our pick for where to stay in Corsica if you’re visiting for the first time.
Fearless foodies will also love making their base in lively Calvi. This charming city is home to a vast array of restaurants and cafes serving up local dishes and traditional French fare. Whether you want to indulge in bouillabaisse or sample frog’s legs, Calvi is the place to do it!
Things to See and Do in Calvi
– Dine on delicious meats, cheeses and treats at A Casetta.
– Enjoy a glass of wine and spectacular views at Chez Tao.
– Go diving and explore the coral that lives off the coast of Corsica.
– Grab drinks at Le Bar de la Tour.
– Hike up to The Citadel and browse the many restaurants, shops and cafes.
– Indulge in fresh seafood at Casa Vinu.
– Savour French fare at Aux Bons Amis.
– Take a day trip to the nearby island of Scandola and explore the nature reserve.
– Visit the Chapelle de Notre Dame de la Serra and enjoy the stunning views.
– Walk to the Pointe De La Revellata.
Best Budget Hotel in Calvi: Les Arbousiers
Thanks to its location near the Torra de Calvi, this is our favourite budget hotel in the town. You’ll enjoy bright rooms with private bathrooms, a sun deck and a relaxing terrace. There’s also a unique on-site restaurant for guests looking to unwind after a day of adventures.
Best Hotel in Calvi: Hotel Casa Bianca Calvi
Large rooms and attentive staff make this our pick for where to stay in Calvi. It has a great location close to popular tourist attractions and landmarks. The hotel has 11 modern and comfortable rooms with plenty of amenities. You’ll also enjoy a terrace, free wifi and luggage storage.
Best Hotel in Calvi: Le Saint Erasme
This comfortable and contemporary hotel offers three-star accommodations in Calvi. It has a sun deck, an outdoor swimming pool, and many additional amenities, like babysitting services. Rooms are air-conditioned and each comes complete with a private bathroom. There’s also an on-site restaurant and a cosy lounge bar.
The capital of Corsica, Ajaccio is a city bursting with history and excitement. Best known as the birthplace of Napoleon, the streets and squares of Ajaccio pay tribute to the island’s most famous son. His birthplace now serves as a museum, and you’ll find many statues and reminders of the French Emperor as you make your way through town.
Ajaccio is also where you’ll find a high concentration of good-value accommodations, which is why it’s our pick for where to stay if you’re on a budget. From backpacker hostels to guesthouses and boutique hotels, Ajaccio has a myriad of places to stay that will fit any budget.
Things to See and Do in Ajaccio
– Bask in the sun at Plage de Capo di Feno.
– Browse the stalls at the Marche des Producteurs de Pays.
– Climb the steps of the Place d’Austerlitz.
– Dance at Jello T-Lounge.
– Eat tasty Italian fare at Casa Pasta.
– Indulge at Le Trou Dans Le Mur.
– Learn all about the life and legend of Napoleon at Maison Bonaparte.
– Sample wines, meats and cheeses at Le Petit Clos.
– See beautiful views of Lac de Tolla.
– Sip wines at L’Empire des Vins.
– Trek the seaside Sentier des Douaniers.
– View a large collection of artwork at the Musee Fesch.
– Visit the Iles Sanguinaires.
Best Budget Option in Ajaccio: Ibis Budget Ajaccio
This great two-star hotel is our pick for the best budget accommodations in Ajaccio. It is located near the Musee Fesch and is a short drive to Ajaccio Cathedral. This hotel offers 80 modern rooms with essential amenities. You’ll also have access to a tour desk, laundry facilities and luggage storage.
Best Hotel in Ajaccio: Hotel Napoleon Ajaccio
This charming hotel provides comfortable accommodations in Ajaccio. It is conveniently located for sightseeing, dining and lounging on the beach. It offers traditional rooms with wireless internet, private bathrooms, and plenty of features.
Best Hotel in Ajaccio: Best Western Plus Ajaccio Amiraute
Located just minutes from the beach, this hotel is ideally situated for exploring Ajaccio. It offers easy access to Ajaccio Cathedral, as well as the Musee Fesch. This three-star hotel has a heated outdoor pool, a Jacuzzi, a terrace and a bar. All rooms come with A/C, private bathrooms, and flat-screen TVs.
Bastia is a lively city located in northern Corsica. It is a dynamic city that boasts a vibrant atmosphere, a rich history and plenty of things to see and do.
One of the highlights of Bastia is Terra Nova. A high-walled citadel, Terra Nova is one of the oldest parts of the Bastia. Simply take a walk through the winding streets and alleys, and you’ll find yourself stepping back in time to 15th-century France.
Bastia is also where you’ll find a great variety of bars, pubs and cafes, perfect for enjoying a few drinks and some live music. Although you won’t find many discotheques and nightclubs here, Bastia boasts the best nightlife on the island – and is our pick for a great night out.
Things to See and Do in Bastia
– Admire the architecture and design of Eglise Saint Jean Baptiste.
– Dine on fresh and delicious fare at nova.
– Dive deep into Corsican history at the Musee de Bastia.
– Eat tasty French food at U Paisanu.
– Enjoy drinks at the Black Sheep.
– Excite your taste buds at Le perchoir.
– Explore La Cittadella and enjoy the views.
– Grab a refreshing ice cream or gelato at le moka.
– Relax on the sand at Plage de l’Arinella.
– Sample an array of great Mediterranean dishes at O’resto!
– Savour a glass of wine at Instabar.
– Sip great cocktails at Bar L’empire.
– Wander throughout Le Vieux Port.
Best Budget Hotel in Bastia: Sud Hotel Bastia
This two-star hotel gets our vote for the best budget accommodations in Bastia thanks to its great location. It is situated near Bastia Cathedral and makes an ideal base for exploring. This hotel provides comfortable rooms with free wifi. There’s also an on-site restaurant where guests can enjoy a delicious dinner or satisfying breakfast.
Best Hotel in Bastia: Hotel Port Toga
The Hotel Port Toga is in a fantastic location for exploring Bastia. It is within walking distance of the train station, as well as dining, shopping and nightlife options. This hotel has 40 comfortable rooms, free wifi, a sun-soaked terrace and a cosy lounge bar.
Best Hotel in Bastia: Hotel Les Voyageurs Bastia
This is our number one choice for where to stay in Bastia. It is comprised of 24 spacious rooms with showers, cable/satellite channels, and a variety of features. The hotel boasts a restaurant and bar where you can enjoy a relaxing meal or drink before a night on the town.
Corte is a small town located in the centre of Corsica. It sits surrounded by the mountains and boasts some of the most incredible views on the island. Here you’ll enjoy a break from the throngs of tourists while basking in the calm and serenity that only the mountains and nature can bring.
A haven for hiking and biking, Corte gets our vote for the coolest neighbourhood in Corsica. It’s where you can get back to nature by hitting the trails and exploring the land, from mountaintops to riverbeds. In Corte, you’ll have the chance to enjoy unparalleled views and get to experience a side of Corsica that few tourists see.
Things to See and Do in Corte
– Browse the interesting Musee de la Corse.
– Dance at L’An 2000.
– Dine on boar stew, a local delicacy at A Casa di l’Orsu.
– Eat, drink and enjoy a great night at La Vieille Cave.
– Hike to the Citadelle de Corte and enjoy the panoramic views.
– Sample local wines at La Riviere des Vins.
– See the Eglise de l’Annonciation.
– Sip wine at In Corsica.
– Spend a relaxing day at the Reserve Naturelle des Bouches de Bonifacio.
– Take in the incredible (and free) views from the Belvedere Point Panoramique.
– Trek to L’Arche de Corte.
– Visit the Chapelle Sainte Croix.
– Walk the beautiful Restonica Trail.
Best Budget Option in Corte: U Passa Tempu
In addition to its central location in Corte, this hotel boasts a swimming pool, free wifi and a variety of features. Each room is outfitted with a kitchenette, a mini bar, and a private terrace. You’ll also have your own bathroom, dining area and refrigerator. There’s also a great on-site restaurant and bar.
Best Hotel in Corte: Si Mea
This is the best place to stay in Corte thanks to its spacious rooms, large bathrooms and its spectacular views. It offers guests a variety of places to chill out and relax, including a lush garden and a sun-soaked terrace. This hotel is also ideally located for exploring the culinary options on offer in Corte.
Best Hotel in Corte: Les Jardins De La Glaciere
Situated in Corte, this hotel is conveniently located for discovering the town’s most famous tourist attractions and landmarks. It is within walking distance of great restaurants and cafes. This three-star hotel offers air-conditioned rooms, a stunning pool, and attentive staff. A satisfying breakfast is also served each morning.
Porto-Vecchio is a beautiful town located on Corsica’s south coast. It offers an excellent mix of idyllic beaches and stunning mountain scenery, as well as charming shops, vibrant bars, and delicious restaurants. With so much to see and do, Porto-Vecchio gets our vote for where to stay in Corsica for families.
Although there aren’t any beaches in Porto-Vecchio proper, the town is within close proximity of some of the best on the island. Within just a short distance you’ll find yourself digging your toes into golden sand and starring out at the glistening turquoise waters. So pack your bags, your spade and you shovel, and enjoy an incredible day of building sand castles and swimming in southern Corsica.
Things to See and Do in Porto-Vecchio
– Admire the stunning natural scenery of the Barrage de l’Ospedale.
– Build sandcastles and enjoy a relaxing day at Tamaricciu Beach.
– Dine at La Petit Maison de Vardiola.
– Eat tasty French fare at Le Refuge Cartalavonu.
– Enjoy a day of adventures at Xtreme Sud.
– Enjoy a refreshing and delicious cone of gelato at Gelateria L’art De La Glace.
– Hike to the Cascade de Piscia.
– Learn to dive and explore the world beneath the waves.
– Relax at Plage de Palombaggia.
– Savour a world-class meal at A Casa Corsa.
– Taste tapas at Restaurant Playa Baggia.
– Visit the Eglise de saint Jean Baptiste.
Best Apartments in Porto-Vecchio: Residence Marina Di Santa Giulia
This is a great place to stay if you’re visiting Corsica with your family. The property boasts outdoor tennis courts, a swimming pool and a private beach. You’ll also have access to free wifi and a golf course. Each apartment is well-equipped with a refrigerator, tea/coffee facilities, and comfortable beds.
Best Hotel in Porto-Vecchio: Hotel San Giovanni
This excellent two-star hotel is our top choice for where to stay in Porto-Vecchio. It has a great location just a short distance from popular sightseeing attractions. This hotel boasts an outdoor swimming pool, a sun-soaked terrace and a relaxing garden. There’s also an on-site restaurant, perfect for unwinding after a long day.
Best Hotel in Porto-Vecchio: Hotel Costa Salina
Hotel Costa Salina is conveniently located in Porto-Vecchio. It offers easy access to great landmarks and attractions, as well as restaurants, cafes and beaches. This hotel has an outdoor terrace with sea views, a swimming pool, and a Jacuzzi. A delicious breakfast is also prepared each morning.
Final Thoughts on Where to Stay in Corsica
Corsica is a fantastic destination for travellers with endless beaches, great food, stunning scenery, and a rich and diverse history. It’s an idyllic and exciting Mediterranean island paradise that is well-worth your travel time and dollars.
In this post, we’ve highlighted the five best towns to stay in Corsica. If, after reading this post, you’re still not 100% sure which is right for you, here’s a quick recap.
The Ibis Budget Ajaccio is our favourite budget hotel in Corsica. It has modern rooms, laundry facilities and a great location in Ajaccio.
Our recommendation for the best hotel is the Hotel San Giovanni. Conveniently located in Porto-Vecchio, this hotel has an outdoor swimming pool, a terrace and a delicious on-site restaurant.
Don’t forget to sort your travel insurance! We’ve put together a roundup of the best travel insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads now, our favourite travel insurance provider.
Do you own an awesome hostel, hotel or apartment? Want to be featured in our list? Email email@example.com to find out how.
Yay for transparency! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, The Broke Backpacker will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps me keep the site going.
Need More Inspiration?
- Backpacking Europe Travel Guide: Itineraries, Travel Tips, & More
- Backpacking Paris: Where to stay – Things to do – Travel Tips
- Backpacking France — maps, routes, itineraries, and things to do
Like this post? PIN ME!!!