Denver is one of the fastest growing cities in America. It has a vibrant nightlife, charming history, diverse culture, and is home to arguably one of the best craft brewery scenes in the country.
But Denver is a big city, and choosing where to stay can be overwhelming.
Which is exactly why we put together this list for where to stay in Denver.
Written by travellers, for travellers, this guide breaks down the five best neighbourhoods in Denver based on your travel interest.
So no matter what you’re looking to do, you’ll be able to find the best neighborhood for your needs.
Whether you want to party the night away, dive into Denver’s rich history, or simply save a penny or two, you’ve come to the right place.
Here’s our guide for where to stay in Denver, Colorado.
Quick Tips – Where to Stay in Denver
- Where to stay in Denver first time – Capitol Hill
- Where to stay in Denver on a budget – Capitol Hill
- Best area to stay in Denver for nightlife – Central Business District
- Coolest place to stay in Denver – Lower Downtown
- Best neighbourhood in Denver for families – Uptown
In a hurry? Here’s my top neighborhood for first timers:
- Take a leisurely stroll through lush and beautiful Civic Center Park
- Marvel at the detail and decoration of Saint John’s Cathedral
- Tour the United States Mint and learn how money is made
Table of Contents
- Where to Stay in Denver
- Denver Neighborhood Guide
- 5 Best Neighborhoods to Stay in Denver
- 1. Capitol Hill – Best Place to Stay in Denver for First-Timers
- 2. Capitol Hill – Best Place to Stay in Denver on a Budget
- 3. Central Business District – Best Place to Stay in Denver for Nightlife
- 4. Lower Downtown – Coolest Neighborhood in Denver
- 5. Uptown – Best Place to Stay in Denver for Families
Where to Stay in Denver
Looking for a specific place to stay? These are our highest recommendations for places to stay in Denver, Colorado.
Best Hostel in Denver: Ember Hostel
The Ember Hostel is our pick the best hostel in Denver. Set at the heart of the Capitol Hill neighbourhood, this hostel is a short walk from tourist attractions, bars, clubs, restaurants and more. It has a fun and social atmosphere, a spa Jacuzzi and an outdoor fire pit.
Best Hotel in Denver: Capitol Hill Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn
Thanks to its central location and variety of amenities, this 4.5-star hotel is our pick for the best hotel in Denver. Composed of eight spacious rooms, this charming property has a terrace, BBQ area and a relaxing atmosphere.
Nearby you’ll find many restaurants, bars, clubs, museum, art galleries and top tourist attractions.
Denver Neighborhood Guide
Quick Summary: The Best Places to Stay in Denver
|Check Top HostelCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top HostelCheck Top Hotel|
Central Business District
|Check Top HostelCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top HostelCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top HostelCheck Top Hotel|
Denver is a vibrant and eclectic city that seamlessly blends history and contemporary culture, with just a bit of cowboy charm thrown in.
The capital and largest city in the state of Colorado, Denver sits at an altitude of 1,600 meters above sea level. “The Mile High City,” as it’s affectionately known, Denver enjoys a cosmopolitan flair and spectacular views of the Rocky Mountain range.
One of the fastest growing cities in the US, Denver is home to nearly three million people spread out over more than 400 square kilometres.
The city is divided into 78 diverse neighbourhoods. We recommend you visit at least three or four different neighbourhoods, depending on your interests and the nature of your trip.
To help you plan your time in Denver, this guide will look at the city’s top five neighbourhoods.
At the heart of Denver is Capitol Hill. One of the oldest neighbourhoods in the city, Capitol Hill is packed with historic landmarks, tourist attractions, and bustling restaurants and bars. Here you’ll find plenty of activities and attractions to keep you enthralled and entertained.
Travel northwest from Capitol Hill and you’ll pass through the Central Business District and Lower Downtown. Two of the liveliest and most vibrant neighbourhoods in the city, the Central Business District and Lower Downtown are where visitors can find hip eateries, buzzing bars, and plenty of after dark fun.
Travel east and you’ll arrive in Uptown. Renowned for its architecture and tree-lined streets, Uptown is packed with family-friendly fun and excitement.
Still not sure where to stay in Denver? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered.
5 Best Neighborhoods to Stay in Denver
Now, let’s take a look, in more detail, at the five best neighbourhoods in Denver. Each is a little different than the last so be sure to pick the one that’s right for you.
Centrally located and packed with attractions, there’s no better neighbourhood for first-time visitors to Denver than Capitol Hill.
Set at the centre of the city, Capitol Hill is a neighbourhood bursting with history. Within its streets, you’ll find some of the city’s most notable attractions, including the Colorado State Capitol building, the United States Mint and the Molly Brown House Museum.
Architecture buffs will also love exploring Capitol Hill if only to peep the turn-of-the-century mansions that characterize the ‘hood.
But there’s more to Capitol Hill than history and old time charm. This downtown district is also where you’ll find a great selection of restaurants and cafes, bars and clubs.
Things to See and Do in Capitol Hill
– Browse more than 70,000 works of art at the Denver Art Museum.
– Dive deep into Denver’s history and government by visiting the Colorado State Capitol building.
– Take a leisurely stroll through lush and beautiful Civic Center Park.
– Marvel at the detail and decoration of Saint John’s Cathedral.
– Tour the United States Mint and learn how money is made.
– Stop and smell the roses at the Denver Botanical Gardens.
– Explore the Kirkland Museum of Fine and Decorative Art.
– Excite your sense with Japanese and Asian flavours at Bones.
– Enjoy incredible cocktails at Hudson Hill bar.
– Grab a pint at the famous The Fainting Goat.
Best Hostel in Capitol Hill: 11th Avenue Hostel
Run by a family of travellers, the 11th Avenue Hostel is the perfect option for first-time visitors on a budget. It is clean, safe and conveniently located at the heart of Capitol Hill with plenty of restaurants, attractions and landmarks nearby.
Guests can enjoy spacious rooms, hot showers and a book exchange.
Best Hotel in Capitol Hill: Capitol Hill Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn
Thanks to its central location and variety of amenities, this 4.5-star hotel is our pick for where to stay in Capitol Hill. Composed of eight spacious rooms, this charming property has a terrace, a BBQ area and a relaxing atmosphere.
Nearby you’ll find many restaurants, bars, clubs and art galleries.
Best Hotel in Capitol Hill: Le Meridien Denver Downtown
Le Meridien Denver is a sleek and modern hotel located in downtown Denver. It is just steps from the city’s top tourist attractions and landmarks. There’s also a myriad of bars and bistros within walking distance.
Here you can enjoy incredible views and a friendly staff.View on Booking.com View on HotelsCombined View on Agoda
In addition to its central location and incredible history, Capitol Hill is also the best neighbourhood for budget backpackers and cost-conscious travellers.
Within this downtown district, travellers and tourists can find some of the best deals and options for accommodations. Whether you’re looking for a lively and social hostel or a chic boutique hotel, Capitol Hill is bursting with options that won’t break the bank.
Love to eat? Capitol Hill is for you! This part of town is packed with delicious dishes and culinary options from around the world. Whether you’re craving salty or sweet, spicy or savoury, you’ll find it in Capitol Hill.
Things to See and Do in Capitol Hill
– Explore the Golden Triangle Creative District, home to art galleries, museums, landmarks and more.
– Pack a picnic and enjoy an afternoon in Cheesman Park, a sprawling green space in downtown Denver.
– Visit the home of the unsinkable Molly Brown, an American philanthropist and socialite who survived the sinking of the Titanic.
– Dig into delicious vegetarian fare at City O City.
– Pancakes, eggs, bacon – oh my! Enjoy one of the best breakfasts in Denver at Jelly.
– Grab a slice of succulent pizza at Sliceworks.
– Enjoy Southern-styled American fare at Sassafras American Eatery.
– Eat well at Benny’s Mexican Restaurant, which specializes in Mexican fare with a Denver twist.
Best Hostel in Capitol Hill: Ember Hostel
The Ember Hostel is our pick for where to stay in Capitol Hill if you’re on a budget. Set at the heart of Capitol Hill, this hostel is a short walk from tourist attractions, bars, clubs, restaurants and more. It has a fun and social atmosphere, a spa Jacuzzi and a fire pit.View on HostelWorld
Best Hotel in Capitol Hill: Homewood Suites Denver Downtown-Convention Center
Homewood Suites lets you enjoy all the best of Denver without breaking the bank. Located at the centre of the city, this hotel is close to popular tourist attractions, nightspots and eateries. It also has a range of wellness amenities including a gym, an indoor pool, and a relaxing Jacuzzi.View on Booking.com View on HotelsCombined View on Agoda
Best Hotel in Capitol Hill: Hyatt House Denver Downtown
Enjoy wonderful views, comfortable rooms and a great location by staying at the Hyatt House in Denver. Situated in Capitol Hill, this hotel is close to shops, restaurants, clubs and landmarks. It has air-conditioned rooms, modern amenities and a variety of wellness features.View on Booking.com View on HotelsCombined View on Agoda
Located north of Capitol Hill is the Central Business District. Don’t let the name of this district fool you, the Capitol Business District – or CBD – is actually one of Denver’s most fun and lively areas.
This downtown neighbourhood is packed with entertainment, shopping, museums and sports – there’s literally something for everyone in the CBD.
The CBD is also where you’ll find the most energetic and electric nightlife in Denver. Whether you’re looking for cool jazz clubs, fun pubs, wild bars and bustling clubs, you’ve come to the right place. The CBD is packed with plenty of after dark fun for travellers of all ages and styles.
Things to See and Do in Central Business District
– Sip speciality cocktails at Union Lodge No. 1.
– Catch a well-established or up-and-coming act at the legendary Fillmore Music Hall Auditorium.
– Ride the Denver Beer Train.
– Shop until you drop at the 16th Street Mall, a mile-long pedestrian street promenade.
– Enjoy incredible egg and breakfast dishes at The Delectable Egg.
– Drink cheap cocktails and have a great time at The Shag Lounge.
– Sample a great selection of drinks at Front Porch.
– Listen to amazing live jazz at The Crimson Room.
– See your favourite sea creatures and aquatic animals at the Downtown Aquarium.
– Sink your teeth into a savoury and delicious burger at 5280 Burger Bar.
Best Hostel in Central Business District: Hostel Fish
A great location, colourful artwork and modern décor are just a few of the reasons we love this hostel. Set in central Denver, this is the city’s best party hostel. It is close to bars, restaurants, clubs and pubs. You’ll also find Denver’s top tourist attractions within walking distance.
Best Hotel in Central Business District: Hotel Teatro
Hotel Teatro is a modern and stylish 4.5-star hotel located at the heart of Denver. Set in the CBD neighbourhood, this hotel is close to top sightseeing attractions, great restaurants and a variety of lively activities.
It has an in-house spa, a fantastic restaurant and a comfortable lounge bar.View on Booking.com View on HotelsCombined View on Agoda
Best Hotel in Central Business District: Hyatt Regency Denver at Colorado Convention Center
At the Hyatt Regency Denver, guests can enjoy the best shopping, dining and nightlife just a few steps from their front door. Set at the centre of the city, this hotel is close to all of Denver’s top attractions. It has an indoor pool, a well-equipped gym, and a relaxing Jacuzzi.
If you’re someone who likes to stay at the centre of the action, Lower Downtown – or LoDo – is the neighbourhood for you!
LoDo is without a doubt the coolest neighbourhood in Denver. It is nestled between the South Platter River and the Central Business District and is just a short walk from downtown Denver.
Here you’ll be surrounded by a great selection of cafes, restaurants, art galleries, museums, bars and clubs.
LoDo is characterized by its historic architecture and its Victorian charm. Wander throughout the streets of this hip ‘hood and enjoy some of the best sights, sounds and smells of Denver.
Sports fans will also love LoDo thanks to it’s close connection to Coors Field, home of the Colorado Rockies Major League Baseball team.
Things to See and Do in Lower Downtown
– Enjoy incredible sweeping vistas from The Viewhouse.
– Eat well at Vesta Dipping Grill.
– Wander through Larimer Square, the oldest and most historic block in the city.
– Surround yourself with the buzz of Denver at Union Station, which hosts an array of restaurants, bars and shops.
– Sip finely crafted cocktails at Roosevelt Bar.
– Take a stroll through Commons Park.
– See exquisite sculptures, drawings and installations at the Museum of Contemporary Art Denver.
– Step back in time at The Cruise Room, Denver’s first post-prohibition bar.
– Dance the night away at Beta Nightclub.
– Sample local craft beers at Sandlot Brewery.
Best Hostel in Lower Downtown: Hostel Fish
Hostel Fish is also our pick for the best hostel in the LoDo neighbourhood. Set at the heart of the city, this great hostel is close to everything – from bars and restaurants to sports fields, museums and art galleries. It has large rooms, an outdoor terrace and free wifi throughout.View on HostelWorld
Best Hotel in Lower Downtown: Hotel Indigo Denver Downtown
A great location, comfortable beds and modern facilities – you won’t find a better hotel in LoDo. At the centre of the city, this four-star hotel is surrounded by restaurants, bars and shops. It is close to public transit and is a short walk from the city’s top tourist attractions.
Best Hotel in Lower Downtown: SpringHill Suites by Marriott Denver Downtown
SpringHills Suites is conveniently located in Denver’s trendy LoDo neighbourhood. It is close to downtown and just a hop, skip and a jump from restaurants, bars, landmarks and art galleries.
It has stylish décor, large rooms and comfortable beds. There’s also a modern fitness centre for guests to enjoy.
One of the oldest residential districts in Denver, Uptown is a neighbourhood renowned for its historic architecture, charming shops and it’s quaint and relaxed vibe.
Located north of Capitol Hill, Uptown is the ideal neighbourhood for families visiting Denver. Not only is it home to a great variety of all-ages activities but this area of the city is also well-connected and can easily be explored on foot.
With Uptown you’ll find great attractions including the Denver Zoo, the Museum of Nature and Science and sprawling City Park.
Uptown is also home to 17th Avenue, the main thoroughfare lined with great shops, charming cafes, delicious diners and buzzing bars.
Things to See and Do in Uptown
– Dig into a delicious plate of burgers and fries at Park & Co burgers.
– See your favourite animals, birds, reptiles and more at Denver Zoo.
– Browse the wonderful exhibits and displays at the Denver Museum of Nature & Science.
– Explore the Denver Museum of Miniatures, Dolls and Toys, home to a collection of more than 20,000 objects.
– Enjoy a relaxing afternoon in verdant City Park, which covers more than 330 acres of land.
– Satisfy your taste buds with an artisanal treat at Voodoo Doughnuts.
– Dine on great foods and flavours at Steuben’s.
– Kickstart your day with a cup of joe at Fluid Coffee Bar.
Best Hostel in Uptown: Mile High House
Mile High House is a great base for your time in Denver. Built in a beautiful Victorian Mansion, this property has new furniture, comfortable rooms, and a relaxing vibe.
Located in the Uptown neighbourhood, this property is a short walk to downtown Denver and the city’s top attractions.
Best Hotel in Uptown: Hampton Inn & Suites Denver Downtown
A great location, a myriad of amenities and spacious rooms are just a few of the reasons we love this hotel. Located in Denver’s Uptown neighbourhood, this hotel is within walking distance of the city’s top bars, restaurants and attractions.
Guests can enjoy large rooms, private bathrooms, and flat-screen TVs.View on Booking.com View on HotelsCombined View on Agoda
Best Hotel in Uptown: Warwick Denver Hotel
With modern décor and a fantastic location, the Warwick is a great base for families visiting Denver. Set in central Uptown, this hotel is surrounded by shops, cafes, restaurants and landmarks. It was an outdoor pool, helpful staff, and guests can enjoy incredible views.
Final Thoughts on Where to Stay in Denver
Denver is a lively and vibrant city that merges history, culture, contemporary and fun. It has so much to offer travellers, from interesting museums and art galleries to sporting adventures and bustling brewery tours. No matter your age, style or budget, there’s something for everyone in Denver.
To recap, our recommendation for the best budget accommodations is Ember Hostel. Located in central Capitol Hill, this hostel is close to shops, restaurants, museums and top tourist landmarks.
We also recommend the Capitol Hill Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn. This 4.5-star property is packed with charm, history and incredible amenities.
Let us know if we’ve missed anything in the comments below. Thanks!
Don’t forget to sort your travel insurance! We’ve put together a roundup of the best travel insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads now, our favourite travel insurance provider.
Do you own an awesome hostel, hotel or apartment? Want to be featured in our list? Email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out how.
Yay for transparency! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, The Broke Backpacker will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps me keep the site going.