The city of Kelowna is the gateway to British Colombia’s pristine natural landscapes, ski resorts and local wineries. It’s proudly nestled among mountain ranges, whilst sun-kissed beaches fringe the banks of the Okanagan Lake.
The Okanagan Valley region is a haven for outdoor enthusiasts, whatever the season – there’s something awesome to do!
The city Kelowna also has a huge appeal for visitors. It’s important to know the best places to stay in Kelowna, to make the most of the urban attractions.
Kelowna’s neighborhoods are unique and each has its own characteristics. Simply follow our guide to find the best neighborhood to stay in Kelowna to suit your vacation style and your budget!
Let’s get started with the best areas to stay in Kelowna.
Quick Tips – Where to Stay in Kelowna
- Where to stay in Kelowna the first time – Cultural District
- Where to stay in Kelowna on a budget – Dilworth
- Best area to stay in Kelowna for nightlife – Downtown
- Coolest place to stay in Kelowna – Pandosy Village
- Best neighborhood in Kelowna for families – West Kelowna Estates / Rose Valley
- Sunbathe and swim at Tugboat Bay
- Go parasailing on the Okanagan Lake
- Wake up with a coffee and croissant at Giobean Espresso
Looking for a specific place to stay? These are the best places to stay in Kelowna.
Best Airbnb in Kelowna – Downtown Penthouse Suite
Brand new and barely lived in, this 1 bedroom apartment is modern, stylish and clean. Enjoy your morning coffee with views of the lake, mountains and Downtown core.
This south-facing space enjoys all day sun that fills the place with natural light. Guests can enjoy the rooftop patio and gym.View on Airbnb
Best Affordable Hotel in Kelowna – Coast Capri
This contemporary hotel provides free Wi-Fi, a Jacuzzi and an outdoor heated pool. Other amenities include valet parking, airport transfers, a dry cleaning service, babysitting/child services and a laundry service.
The location is ideal for exploring the city centre and planning day trips. The rate includes a daily breakfast.View on Booking.com
Best Mid-Range Hotel in Kelowna – Hotel Zed
This funky, colorful hotel will invite you in with its vibrant decor and quirky touches. There is a seasonal outdoor swimming pool, sauna and free Wi-Fi.
You’ll find treasures such as comics books in every room, retro-chic amenities like vinyl listening stations, typewriter stations, board games and rotary dial phones!View on Booking.com
Quick Summary: The Best Places to Stay in Kelowna
|Check Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top HostelCheck Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top HostelCheck Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
West Kelowna Estates / Rose Valley
|Check Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
Kelowna is the largest city in British Colombia’s Okanagan Valley. It can be found 390km east of Vancouver, and is cocooned by the large, deep Lake Okanagan.
The central city of Kelowna is broken down into 10 sectors which are further split into a range of small neighborhoods. The central city is located on the eastern banks of Lake Okanagan, but its suburbs spread across to the western side too.
The neighborhoods are walkable, and the city is connected by a public bus system for those who do not have a car.
The Cultural District is the best neighborhood in Kelowna to stay in your first time. Best explored on foot, this fascinating area is where you will find the majority of the cultural activities.
If you want to know where to stay in Kelowna on a budget, Dilworth is the neighborhood for you. Surrounded by green open spaces, you can soak up the world-famous Canadian nature and find lots of free hikes in this area.
If you’re seeking nightlife, choose a hotel in Kelowna’s Downtown. This is where you’ll find most of the bars and some of the best restaurants in the city. There are a couple of nightclubs and live music joints too.
Pandosy Village is one of the coolest places to stay in Kelowna, known for its boutiques, cafes, beach access and leisurely pace of life.
For families who are looking to be out of the main city and among fresh, green nature, check out West Kelowna. Choosing accommodation will provide a terrific base to stay in Kelowna with kids.
5 Best Neighborhoods to Stay in Kelowna
Let’s take a look at the 5 best neighborhoods to stay in Kelowna. They’re each a little different, depending on the type of vacation style is right for you.
The Cultural District is a neighborhood in the north end of Kelowna’s Downtown. As you might be able to gather, it’s where you’ll find all the cultural delights from this buzzing city!
The neighborhood is small enough to explore on foot, and you’ll find plenty of galleries, museums, theatres and restaurants to fill your days and recover from your hikes.
You’re also perched right on the banks of the Okanagan Lake, so you can digest all that culture and poutine with a lakeside stroll.
You’ll find tourist information and tour services in the Cultural District, if you wish to plan excursions further afield.
Things to See and Do in Cultural District :
– Check out war memorabilia and uniforms at the Okanagan Military Museum
– Learn about the wine production of this region at the Okanagan Wine and Orchard Museum. Homework, before you check out a vineyard!
– Explore historic and modern Canadian masterpieces at the Kelowna Art Gallery
– Find your zen at the traditionally landscapes Japanese style Kasugai Gardens
– Take a tour of the Tree Brewing Beer Institute. Or simply, relax with a pint and a pizza!
– Pay a visit to the iconic, waterfront Bear. By night, the sculpture really dazzles
– Wander the trails of the Waterfront Park – home to beautiful waterfalls, sculptures, and picturesque views
– Sunbathe and swim at Tugboat Bay
– Go parasailing on the Okanagan Lake
– Appreciate riverside views from Stuart Park. During winter, you can ice skate here!
– Catch a Kelowna Rockets hockey game at the Prospera Place arena
– Wake up with a coffee and croissant at Giobean Espresso
– Support community theatre and visual arts at the Rotary Centre for the Arts. They host a number of classes too so you can have a go at dancing, drumming or painting!
Best Airbnb in the Cultural District – Downtown BnBnB – The Nice Studio
Welcome to Winston’s BnBnB – Bed, Breakfast, and Beer! Your superhost offers two complimentary breakfast coupons with every booking so you can eat beside locals, and you will receive free beer.
The studio has all amenities and a balcony with full view of the Knox Mountain, plus a lovely rooftop terrace.View on Airbnb
Best Hotel in the Cultural District – Kelowna Okanagan Lake Hostel
This centrally located hostel provides dorm beds and private rooms, each with access to the shared bathrooms. There is a terrace and barbeque area available for guests to relax on.
The amenities are simple; it’s clean and comfortable, with free Wi-Fi and the option to add breakfast. Location is unbeatable!View on Booking.com
Best Hotel in the Cultural District – Royal Anne Hotel
This 3-star hotel offers charming accommodation with comes with the added value of a sauna and rooftop terrace. Cozy rooms are equipped with free Wi-Fi, a desk, tea and coffee making facilities and private bathrooms. Breakfast in included in the rate.
Ideal walking distance for the Cultural District and Downtown.View on Booking.com
Dilworth sits to the east of Downtown Kelowna, and is known for its towering landmark, Dilworth Mountain which rises 1,000ft over the city.
The area used to be fairly remote, but as Kelowna has expanded it has become a thriving residential area with some high-end homes. Luckily for you, hotels don’t reflect this and you can find some decent budget accommodation in Kelowna.
The area retains its greenery and provides ample opportunities to hike, bike and explore the rugged scenery of the outer central city. A mere 10 minute Uber ride takes you to Downtown.
Things to See and Do in Dilworth:
– Tackle the short and rewarding hike up to the Dilworth Mountain Lookout for a terrific panorama of the city and surrounding hills
– Sample the Canadian cafe goods at Tim Hortons – a chain renowned for their pastries and sandwiches
– Hike or bike the adventurous trails in the Mill Creek Linear Park
– Buy produce fresh from the farm, locally made treats and artisan handcrafts at the Kelowna Farmer’s and Crafter’s Market. Open year-round, Weds and Sat mornings
– Fuel up on burgers, shakes, and fries at Red Robin Gourmet Burgers and Brews
– Kill a few hours on a rainy day at the Planet Lazer amusement arcade
– Go wildlife watching and connect with nature at the Evelyn Island wildlife refuge
– Wind down with pub grub, cocktails and bar games at one of the local’s favourites – check out 97 Street Pub or Mickie’s Pub
Best Airbnb in Dilworth – Downtown Basement w/ comfy King Bed & Hot Tub
Your private room comes with its own bathroom and a hot tub! Your hosts live in a separate part of the house, so you will have plenty of privacy – and you might get the chance to meet their lovely dog! There are kitchen facilities, a BBQ and a pool (summer only).View on Airbnb
Best Affordable Hotel in Dilworth – Dilworth Inn
This comfortable inn comes with a sauna, Jacuzzi, rooftop terrace and an indoor swimming pool. The rooms are spacious and provide a kitchenette which is equipped with a refrigerator and a microwave.
They also have tea and coffee making facilities, a private bathroom and Wi-Fi. Daily breakfast is included too!View on Booking.com
Best Hotel in Dilworth – Sandman Hotel & Suites Kelowna
This 3-star hotel offers a heated pool, a Jacuzzi, a sauna and a 24-hour reception. Each of the hotel’s rooms are modernly designed and feature a kitchenette and a private bathroom.
All provide tea and coffee making facilities, ironing facilities and a telephone. Breakfast can be added to the rate.View on Booking.com
On the eastern banks of the Okanagan Lake, south of the Cultural District you can venture into Kelowna’s happening Downtown district.
Downtown is the best area in Kelowna to stay in for nightlife, you’ll find plenty of pubs, buckets of bars and a couple of classy nightclubs if you want to party until late.
The restaurant scene in Downtown is extremely appetising with late-night diners keeping the wine and conversation flowing until late. It’s the perfect place to make a night of it after a day of skiing during the winter season!
Things to See and Do in Downtown:
– Explore the expansive Kelowna City Park which is right on the waterfront. There’s a playground for the kids, a waterpark, skate park and you can relax on the beach and take a dip in the lake
– Tuck into fresh vegan and vegetarian fare at the Naked Cafe
– Have a mellow night at the Cache Lounge with cocktails and oysters. Bear in mind they only open Fri and Sat nights!
– Dance at the super sleek, uber-stylish Sapphire Nightclub. Also only open Fri and Sat nights!
– Get your poutine fix at Smoke’s Poutinerie. Open until 4 am on Fri and Sat nights!
– Marvel the grand white sculpture of the Kelowna Sails
– Hang out at casual Fernando’s Pub which dishes up tacos and hosts live music
– Cheer on whoever is playing at the Tonics Pub and Grill
– Dine at Raudz bistro whose menu is loaded with locally-sourced Pacific Northwest dishes
– Have a healthy lunch at the top-rated Little Hobo Soup and Sandwich Shop
Best Hostel in Downtown – Samesun Kelowna
Located close to the beach in the core of Downtown, Samesun is the ideal hostel in Kelowna for travelers seeking a slice of outdoor beauty and to be in the heart of the nightlife.
They have a TV room, lounge with pool and foosball tables, a garden patio and a kitchen.View on HostelWorld
Best Airbnb in Downtown – Downtown 1 block from ski shuttle and beach!
You’ll have this entire condominium to yourself, it’s ideal for families or groups of friends who want to get a bit of everything that Kelowna has on offer.
Recently refurbished and kitted out stylishly, this spacious find is walking distance to all Downtown attractions and eateries. Even pets are welcome!View on Airbnb
Best Hotel in Downtown – Prestige Beach House BW Premier Collection
This 4-star, pet-friendly hotel provides valet parking, wine tasting, an indoor swimming pool, free Wi-Fi and a Jacuzzi. Staff are available 24/7 and can assist with booking tours and tickets.
It’s within walking distance to the lakeside and the attractions of Downtown. En suite bedrooms include a personal refrigerator.View on Booking.com
One of Kelowna’s best neighborhoods is Pandosy Village. This is a vibrant, unique and laid-back hub which spreads south of Downtown. Much of the activity is focused upon Pandosy Street, which runs north to south.
Along here you can find amazing little boutiques, great cafes and international restaurants.
For a breath of fresh air, Pandosy Village is just moments from beach access and is littered with parks. If you’re heading to Kelowna for ski season, this is a great spot to stay and rest after a day on the slopes – and it’s on the way to the Big White Mountain.
From Pandosy Village you can easily access the wine region of East Kelowna as well, if you fancy a day out sampling the local blends and admiring the vineyards.
Things to See and Do in Pandosy Village:
– Find your new favorite coffee shop on Pandosy Street. Hop between Blenz Coffee, Marmalade Cat Cafe and Bean Scene and try the lot
– Head to South Pandosy where you can sunbathe, swim and play volleyball at the Boyce-Gyro Beach Park
– Take a leisurely lake cruise with Kelowna Water Taxi and Cruises
– Browse compelling modern art at the SOPA Fine Arts Gallery
– Take a yoga class at Modo Yoga
– Shop for unique fashion, jewellery, homeware and special gifts along Pandosy Street
– Pack a picnic and take a walk through the pristine Kinsmen Park
– Revive with a craft beer at the Mission Tap House
– Take a tour to one of the many vineyards and wineries which sit in the plains just east of Pandosy Village. Arrange this with Distinctly Kelowna Tours, via your hotel reception or make your own arrangements
– Order the freshest, tastiest blueberries to your hotel from the family-run Gaskin Blueberries Farm
Best Hostel in Pandosy Village – Kelowna International Hostel
This clean, friendly hostel offers dorms and private rooms. They provide free pancakes and coffee/tea every morning, a free pick-up from Downtown or the Mall when you arrive and sociable group activities.
They even offer free pasta every Tuesday night as well as cultural nights, themed parties and events!View on HostelWorld
Best Airbnb in Pandosy Village – Garden Oasis
This light and airy garden suite has private entrance and guests can listen to the soothing sounds of the garden pond. A short walk to the lakeside and the boutiques and cafes of Pandosy Street.
Quiet, calm, and equipped with your own coffee maker – this is the perfect urban retreat!View on Airbnb
Best Hotel in Pandosy Village – Shore Line B&B
This cozy guest house offers free parking, free Wi-Fi and room service. Comfortably prepared rooms provide a TV, refrigerator, a kitchenette and a microwave.
All rooms comes with tea and coffee making facilities and there is a spacious communal lounge and garden. A very chilled, homely hotel in Kelowna.View on Booking.com
West Kelowna Estates / Rose Valley is a neighborhood found within the larger district of West Kelowna. It’s located across the William R. Bennett Bridge from Downtown and Central Kelowna and is sometimes referred to as the Westbank.
The neighborhoods of West Kelowna are dominated by the craggy, now extinct volcanic rocks of Mount Boucherie.
This is one of the best areas to stay in Kelowna for easy access to expansive green spaces and terrific hiking suited to the whole family and is one of the best places in Kelowna to stay with kids.
Things to See and Do in West Kelowna:
– Climb the volcanic peak of Mount Boucherie by following the 5.57km hiking trail that snakes up the mountain. Varies from moderate to difficult in places, so remember your water!
– Go vineyard hopping. There are plenty of options – we recommend Quail’s Gate, Little Straw or the Mount Boucherie Estate
– Discover First Nations history and Syilx culture at the Sncewips Heritage Museum
– Kayak, fish or hike the shoreline of nearby Shannon Lake
– Spend a day hiking the Rose Valley Hiking Trail and explore the reservoir of Rose Valley Lake
– Plan an overnight camping trip to Bear Creek Provincial Park
– Eat farm-fresh Canadian cuisine with a view overlooking the golf course at 19 Okanagan Bar and Grill
– Splurge on a helicopter ride with Valhalla Helicopters
Best Airbnb in West Kelowna – Mountain Views Suite
This entire townhouse is available for hire, and can fit the whole family comfortably. It’s very homely, and guests love to unwind on the balcony and take in the natural views.
You have all you need, and your host is highly commended. Parking is available for free.View on Airbnb
Best Affordable Hotel in West Kelowna – Super 8 by Wyndham West Kelowna BC Hotel
This modern hotel in Kelowna provides complimentary Wi-Fi, a Jacuzzi and an indoor pool. It is a 10-minute drive from Quails’ Gate Winery and offers free parking on site.
All are air conditioned and offer a bathtub and a private bathroom. There are a number of rooms suited to families.View on Booking.com
Best Hotel in West Kelowna – Best Western PLUS Wine Country Hotel & Suites
A 30-minute drive of Kelowna International Airport, this hotel provides free Wi-Fi, a Jacuzzi and an indoor heated pool. It has a fitness centre and a concierge.
Kids will love the water slides, and parents can take advantage of the hotel’s babysitting/child services. Breakfast is included in the rate.View on Booking.com
Final Thoughts on Where to Stay in Kelowna
Kelowna is that rare find which perfectly harmonizes a dynamic city which is draped in culture with bountiful outdoors right on your doorstep.
To recap our guide, we recommend the Cultural District as the best neighborhood to stay in Kelowna. From here you can pick and mix between the urban attractions and organise your day trips to hike and explore the mountains and lakes of the surrounding area.
Check out our top pick, for where to stay in Kelowna – the Hotel Zed. For style, price, and location – this is surely the best Kelowna accommodation!
Don’t forget to sort your travel insurance! We’ve put together a roundup of the best travel insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads now, our favourite travel insurance provider.
Getting an estimate from World Nomads is simple – just click the button or image below, fill out the necessary info, and you’re on your way!
Do you own an awesome hostel, hotel or apartment? Want to be featured in our list? Email [email protected] to find out how.
Yay for transparency! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, The Broke Backpacker will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps me keep the site going.
Need More Inspiration?
Like this post? PIN ME!!!