Prince Edward County is a truly special vacation destination. Rising from the serene waters of Lake Ontario, this island is heaving with glorious nature, bountiful beaches and a generous helping of vineyards and wineries.
It’s the perfect retreat if you fancy a break from the city.
But deciding where to stay in Prince Edward County can be challenging. There are a number of small towns on the island, each with their own charms and perks.
Our expert travel writers have put together this Prince Edward County neighborhood guide to help you narrow down the options and decide which part of this wonderful island is best for you!
Let’s dive right in and get started with the best areas to stay in Prince Edward County.
Quick Tips – Where to Stay in Prince Edward County
- Where to stay in Prince Edward County the first time – Carrying Place
- Where to stay in Prince Edward County on a budget – Wellington
- Best area to stay in Prince Edward County for nightlife – Picton
- Coolest place to stay in Prince Edward County – Waupoos
- Best neighborhood in Prince Edward County for families – Sandbanks
- Visit the nearby Roblin Lake Beach
- Explore nearby Barcovan Beach
- Take a boat tour around the Wellers Bay National Wildlife Area
Looking for a specific place to stay? These are the best places to stay in Prince Edward County.
Best Airbnb in Prince Edward County – The Nest at Heron House
This self-contained unit comes with a fully furnished kitchen and private bathroom. What we love is the private patio, where guests can relax and watch the boats coming in and out of Picton Harbour with a mug of coffee or glass of wine.
It’s walking distance to all the attractions of Picton.View on Airbnb
Best Affordable Hotel in Prince Edward County – East & Main Suites
These lovely suites in Wellington are kitted out with all you need, including a fridge, microwave, coffee maker, private bathroom and TV. There is a swimming pool and free Wi-Fi.
The decor is homely and tasteful, and the price is very reasonable. Our top pick for where to stay in Prince Edward County.View on Booking.com
Best Mid-Range Hotel in Prince Edward County – Huff Estates Inn & Winery
This utterly stunning property has all the essentials of a class hotel, plus there’s a winery that you can ogle from your window! The hotel caters well for couples seeking a romantic getaway, and families will appreciate the childminding services available.
There’s a pool on-site and in the heart of the island, you have plenty of outdoorsy activities right on your doorstep.View on Booking.com
Quick Summary: The Best Places to Stay in Prince Edward County
|Check Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
Prince Edward County is a large island that juts out into the northeast of Lake Ontario. The County has soared in popularity over recent years, attracting holidaymakers, artists and Canadians on the hunt for vacation homes.
The island is home to sandy coves and lush greenery. Its climate lends itself to winemaking, and there are lots of wineries and vineyards.
With over 500 km of shorelines, the island is popular with sailors and watersports enthusiasts. You can try wakeboarding, kayaking and fishing at spots across the island.
We recommend Carrying Place for where to stay in Prince Edward County for your first time. From your starting point, you can easily explore the rest of the island.
Prince Edward County is not known for having cheap accommodation, but we recommend Wellington for where to stay in Prince Edward County on a budget. You can usually snag a deal in this more populous part of the island.
Nightlife on Prince Edward County is laid-back, but the lively town of Picton has pubs, live music and an excellent cinema. It’s our top pick for where to stay in Prince Edward County for nightlife!
Far-flung Warpoos has something infinitely cool about it. It’s home to wineries, a buzzing marina from where you can go sailing and the food options here are limited but exquisite.
Everywhere on Prince Edward County is family-friendly, but our top pick for where to stay for families is the exotic Sandbanks. You can find a range of holiday homes to keep little ones entertained!
5 Best Neighborhoods to Stay in Prince Edward County
Let’s take a look at the 5 best neighborhoods to stay in Prince Edward County. They’re each a little different!
Any visitor to Prince Edward County will pass through Carrying Place which sits at the neck of the county. The gateway to Prince Edward County is our logical recommendation of where to stay in Prince Edward County your first time.
Besides that, it’s also a cool place to relax and get to know the culture of the County.
Carrying Place is a chilled fishing village where you can kick back, relax, and plan your adventures around the other parts of the island.
Things to See and Do in Carrying Place:
– Get a fish supper from the cabin George’s Fish and Chips
– Explore nearby Barcovan Beach
– Hire a bike and cycle the road alongside the Trent-Severn Waterway
– Pick up locally made souvenirs from Country Porch Crafts
– Visit the nearby Roblin Lake Beach
– Tuck into old fashioned ice cream and milkshakes at Sister Scoops
– Delve into local history at the Ameliasburgh Heritage Village Museum
– Make a trip to the Tess Moffatt Windswept Studio – the first port of call on the Prince Edward County Arts Trail
– Take a boat tour around the Wellers Bay National Wildlife Area
– Cross to the mainland for a day to explore the Presqu’ile Provincial Park
Best Airbnb in Carrying Place – Summer Breeze King Suite – Private Bathroom
This is in fact one of several rooms available at Summer Breeze. The master suite comes with a luxurious bathtub and the comfiest king size bed we’ve ever slept in!
The accommodation has a shared kitchen area for guests to cook and a lounge to relax in. There is free parking for guests.View on Airbnb
Best Affordable Hotel in Carrying Place – Owl’s Nest Suites
These comfortable, rustic suites furnished with lots of woody design elements are sure to make you feel like you’re in the heart of the countryside! Each cozy suite has basic kitchen facilities and private bathroom.
There is a shared kitchen available to guests, and a spacious garden to relax in.View on Booking.com
Best Hotel in Carrying Place – The Empty Nest B&B
With only two rooms available, privacy and solitude are guaranteed at this family-ran bed and breakfast near Carrying Place. A hearty American breakfast is included and each suite has a private bathroom.
The property is utterly beautiful, with gorgeous views all around and a garden to soak up the scenery from.View on Booking.com
Wellington is one of the most built-up towns on the island, with a buzzing cultural scene, riverside vibes and a decent supply of accommodation. You can usually find some cheaper lodging options for those looking for where to stay in Prince Edward County on a budget.
There is plenty to keep you occupied in Wellington, with a handful of museums and galleries, some appetising eateries, craft studios, casual coffee shops and a plethora of vineyards dotted around the outskirts.
There’s plenty of opportunities to seek the sun and it’s an awesome spot to hire a bicycle to explore!
Things to See and Do in Wellington:
– Get your facts straight at the Wellington History Museum
– Brush up on local art at the Sybil Frank Gallery and Studio House
– Pick up local produce and fresh fruits at the Wellington Farmer’s Market, every Saturday morning
– Soak up the sun (and the views!) at Wellington Beach
– Cheer on the local hockey team at the Lehigh Arena
– Explore the local wineries such as Karlo Estates, Norman Hardy and Sandbanks Estate
– Dine with an eyeful of the lake at Drake Devonshire Inn – the restaurant with the best views in town!
– Pick up some glassware blown on-site at Armstrong Glassblowers and potted keepsakes at Wellington Pottery
– Try a local blend at the Midtown Brewing Company – they do top-notch pizza as well
– Spend a day fishing on the idyllic West Lake
– Cool down with ice cream from the Old Greenhouse Ice Cream Shop
Best Airbnb in Wellington – Cozy Wellington basement with jacuzzi & fireplace
You get the entire basement of this house to yourself, which includes two living spaces and a bedroom with a queen-size bed. The private bathroom is equipped with a luxurious Jacuzzi bathtub.
The fireplace makes this place super cozy by night during the winter! The friendly hosts offer to prepare gourmet hampers for their guests too.View on Airbnb
Best Affordable Hotel in Wellington – The Village Suites
The Village Suites have three options available: a studio, one bed or two bed suite. Each has a private bathroom and some basic kitchen facilities.
The accommodation is clean and comfortable, and within walking distance to the lake. It’s our top pick for where to stay in Wellington, Prince Edward County.View on Booking.com
Best Hotel in Wellington – The Newsroom Suites
This 4-star guest house offers lodging at very reasonable rates. You’ll sleep well in a comfortable bed and each of the three suites available has a private, contemporary bathroom attached.
Guests are welcome to relax in the garden or terrace. The nearby local attractions of Wellington are only moments away.View on Booking.com
Located on the eastern side of the island you will find Picton, which is the capital of Prince Edward County. Don’t expect to see any high-rises and subways here, but you will find a hearty dose of urban delights including cultural institutions, delicious eateries and a lively nightlife.
The nightlife is laid-back – think pubs and live music joints.
As well as being our recommendation for where to stay for nightlife in Prince Edward County, you also have masses of outdoorsy pursuits to blow away any cobwebs or recover from too many beers the morning after.
Things to See and Do in Picton:
– Take a hike through the Macaulay Mountain Conservation Area
– Take a break from Netflix and catch the latest release at theater-turned-cinema, the Regent
– Bop along to live music at The Acoustic Grill
– Dine at the County Canteen and stay for whatever event they have on which varies from karaoke, to trivia nights to live music!
– Go horseback riding at the Diamond J Ranch
– Hang out at the awesome seasonal craft beers at the Prince Eddy’s Brewing Company
– Check out historic landmark the Crystal Palace which was constructed in 1887 and as a popular wedding and events venue, is still going strong
– Tuck into New Canadian fare with locally sourced wine and craft beers at the Hartley’s Tavern
– Chat with local artists at Arts on Main Gallery
– Settle in for a pub night at cozy and friendly joint, Coach’s
– Clamber up to the Millennium Lookout for a peaceful panorama
Best Airbnb in Picton – Sandbanks Loft, Mary Street Guesthouse
This gorgeously furnished apartment can be all yours! Besides the living area, bedroom and kitchen you also have the privilege of a beautiful front porch, perfect for enjoying a glass of wine on a summer evening.
The loft is kitted out with all the essentials including coffee, shampoo and basic kitchen needs!View on Airbnb
Best Affordable Hotel in Picton – Picton Harbour Inn
Some of the best rooms at this cozy inn have views of the harbour! There are rooms suited to families too.
All rooms come with coffee makers, flat-screen TV and Wi-Fi. Breakfast is available at an additional cost, and the inn provides free parking. Our top pick for where to stay in Picton.View on Booking.com
Best Hotel in Picton – Edwardian House Bed and Breakfast
This historic private residence has been converted into a luxurious guesthouse and has three bedrooms available. Each has a private bathroom with robes provided, and simple kitchen facilities such as a fridge and coffee maker.
A delicious breakfast can be added to the rate and parking is available free of charge.View on Booking.com
Waupoos is a small town on the northwest side of the island, which forms a peninsula that juts out into Lake Ontario. On a clear day you can catch views of the US from the shore!
You’ll find a handful of historic wineries in and around Waupoos as well as a cider brewery and some delicious cheese shops. It’s basically a food and wine paradise, as well as being one of the coolest places to stay in Prince Edward County with its remoteness and laid-back vibes.
We recommend staying here and hopping your way around the gorgeous vineyards!
Things to See and Do in Waupoos:
– Pick your own blueberries at The Blueberry Patch
– Go sailing with County Sailing Adventures
– Relax at the Waupoos Pub Market & Eatery, the best place to eat in Waupoos. It has cozy interiors for winter and a terrace for summer
– Sample home-crafted cider as you saviour the sensational vistas from the County Cider Company
– Check out Canadian works of art at the Joel Clark Fine Arts
– See how many wineries you can cram into your vacation, including Cape Vineyards and Waupoos Estate
– Gather a crew and charter a boat for the day to explore the lake
– Take a day trip over to Waupoos Island – you could opt to camp here for a night or two
– Take a leisurely lunch at the Cressy Mustard Company
– Explore the remote beaches and dreamy lake views from Cressy Point
– Pack a picnic and head to the Rutherford-Stevens Lookout for scenic views and some solitude
– Stock up on artisan cheese at the Fifth Town Cheese Company
Best Airbnb in Waupoos – Waupoos on the Water
Pack your bathing suit, prepare your sea legs and hop aboard your very own private yacht! Docked in the Waupoos Marina, the boat provides a cozy lodging and in the mornings you can plunge into the crystal clear waters of the harbour to wake up.
By far this is the coolest place to stay in Prince Edward County!View on Airbnb
Best Affordable Hotel in Waupoos – The Backcountry Inn & Hostel
This awesome gem near Waupoos offers dorm rooms, private rooms and private cottages. There is a sprawl of garden to relax in, a fitness center in case all that hiking isn’t enough and there is a kitchen available for guests.
Note that this backcountry property doesn’t have Wi-Fi available, although hotspots are available nearby.View on Booking.com
Best Hotel in Waupoos – Bells and Whistles Family Inn
This charming inn offers a mix of different guest rooms each with its own private bathroom and equipped with free Wi-Fi and a TV. A hearty breakfast is served each morning, parking is available free of charge and there is a swimming pool available to summer guests.
The inn is suited for families, couples or solo travelers.View on Booking.com
Down in the south-east of the island, Sandbanks is one of the most popular neighborhoods in Prince Edward County with an abundance of coastal sights, tasty restaurant choices and outdoorsy things to do.
It’s famed for its sand dunes, beaches and its proximity to the inland lakes. You’re close enough to Wellington for when you need a dose of culture or more dining options.
Sandbanks has something to appease any traveler, and it’s our top pick for where to stay for families in Prince Edward County.
Things to See and Do in Sandbanks:
– Take a day to explore the Sandbanks Provincial Park – an oceanfront nature reserve with the world’s largest body of sand dunes and a freshwater sandbar
– Go beach-hopping on the sandy coves that give the town its name. Check out Outlet Beach, Sandbanks Dunes Beach and Lakeshore Beach
– Eat delicious seafood at Sand and Pearl Oyster Bar
– Unleash the kids on the huge inflatables at the Westlake Willy Waterpark
– Walk or cycle along the Outlet River down to Salmon Point
– Grab some poutine and freshly baked cake from the Sandbox Kitchen
– See what’s on at The Hayloft, a hub of live music and dance nights!
– Enjoy a family boating trip on the inland East Lake
– Continue the Prince Edward County Arts Trail by checking out local art gallery, the Mena Dragonfly Studio
– Tuck into barbecued meat at Bingi’s BBQ
Best Airbnb in Sandbanks – Cherry Valley Ateliers
This one-bedroom apartment has a private entrance, kitchen and bathroom. A second double bed can be put up in the lounge if you’re traveling with children.
There is a large garden which you can explore, and the kind hosts are always happy to share their home-grown fruits and veggies with their guests!View on Airbnb
Best Affordable Hotel in Sandbanks – Isaiah Tubbs Resort
This resort has a range of rooms available which are suited to families and is our pick for where to stay in Sandbanks on a budget. There is a pool available as well as a fitness suite.
All rooms have a private bathroom and some have a spa bath! There is bicycle hire available and free parking.View on Booking.com
Best Hotel in Sandbanks – Sandbanks Summer Village Cottages
This holiday resort is our top choice for where to stay in Sandbanks for families. The property has a pool, gym and library and is very welcoming to families.
Cottages are furnished with all the necessary amenities and appliances to have a great stay in the beautiful Sandbanks.View on Booking.com
Final Thoughts on Where to Stay in Prince Edward County
Prince Edward County is an alluring destination for your Canadian vacation. It’s perfect for those who want to get outdoors and make the most of the clean air, pure countryside and crystal clear waters of Lake Ontario.
It’s also simply a place to relax with a glass of wine, enjoy a delicious meal, and kick back with live music or spend time with loved ones. Honestly, there is something to make everyone happy in Prince Edward County!
To recap our guide, Picton is our top pick for where to stay in Prince Edward County. It has access to the lake, the nearby countryside and there is a splash of culture in this delightful town.
The Picton Harbour Inn is our favourite place for where to stay in Picton. We love the facilities, the location, and the price is very reasonable.
We hope our guide has inspired you to make the most of your time in Prince Edward County!
Don’t forget to sort your travel insurance! We’ve put together a roundup of the best travel insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads now, our favourite travel insurance provider.
Getting an estimate from World Nomads is simple – just click the button or image below, fill out the necessary info, and you’re on your way!
Do you own an awesome hostel, hotel or apartment? Want to be featured in our list? Email [email protected] to find out how.
Yay for transparency! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, The Broke Backpacker will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps me keep the site going.
Need More Inspiration?
- Backpacking Canada on a Budget
- Backpacking Montreal Travel Guide
- 35 Best Hostels in Canada
- Where to Stay in Halifax
Like this post? PIN ME!!!