For many years in Brazil, the stunning beaches and tranquil waters of Florianopolis (also known as Floripa) have been overlooked by the rest of the world for the more popular beaches of the country. It wasn’t until just recently that the soft sands and rich culture has been unveiled to the world!
This small island off of mainland Brazil is so much more than just another cookie-cutter beach town. Culture runs deep in Florianopolis, this means that just because you aren’t on the beach doesn’t mean you can’t experience all the local flavor!
Travelers are arriving in Florianopolis in droves, all seeking those beautiful coastal views and chill vibes of Brazilian island living. Despite the tourist boom which has swept Florianopolis, there is still a lack of proper backpacker hostels.
Get back to planning on what beaches to hit first and leave the rest to us! We brought all the best hostels in Florianopolis to one place with our one-stop guide!
Have your cameras ready and get ready to dive headfirst into our list of the best hostels in Florianopolis!
Table of Contents
Quick answer: The Best Hostels in Florianopolis
- Best Overall Hostel in Florianopolis – Floripa Surf Hostel
- Best Party Hostel in Florianopolis – Booz
- Best Hostel for Solo Travellers in Florianopolis – Innbox Hotel & Hostel – Centro
- Best Cheap Hostel in Florianopolis – On The Road Hostel
- Best Hostel for Couples in Florianopolis – Patamar Hostel
- Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Florianopolis – Sagui Hostel
- Best Hostel with a Private Room in Florianopolis – Vintage Hostel Florianopolis
Best Hostels in Florianopolis
Best Overall Hostel in Florianopolis – Floripa Surf Hostel
- Surfboard Rentals
At Floripa Surf Hostel you will not only get one of the cheapest beds in town, but you will also be just minutes away from the beach! Regardless if you are looking to surf the waves or just lounge about on the beach, this backpackers hostel won’t have you running back and forth from the sea to your dorm room every day!
It’s not just the location that makes Floripa Surf one of the best hostels in Florianopolis, but you will also have access to their very own bbq pit, hammocks, and even hiking tours taking you all over the island!
Best Party Hostel in Florianopolis – Booz
- Bar (Happy Hour)
- Discount Club Access
- Buffet Breakfast
We are still not sure if Booz is supposed to be short for “booze” or not, but this backpackers hostel is sure to get the drinks flowing and the party started! With its very own bar as the heart of the party, you will get cheap drinks and even free caipirinha or Fridays! The fun doesn’t stop there! With discount club access you will be able to dance all the way through Florianopolis!
After the night (or nights) of your life, brush off that hangover with a buffet breakfast! Feeling up for more? Booz will hook you up with tours of the island including anything from scuba diving to paragliding!
Check out this article for more ideas of where to find the best nightlife in Florianopolis.
Best Hostel for Solo Travelers in Florianopolis – Innbox Hotel and Hostel – Centro
- City View
The Innbox Hotel and Hostel located in downtown Florianopolis is the second of the Innbox change. Both of these hostels could be named some of the best places to stay in Florianopolis, but Innbox Hostel – Centro is truly something special. Located in the center of downtown, Innbox attracts both an international and local Brazilian crowd to its bar and lounge.
The bar is just the tip of the iceberg, at Innbox, you will also have a Mexican restaurant onsite as well as views which overlook the stunning city of Florianopolis. Regardless if you are looking to drink each night away or just kick back and relax with other travelers, Innbox is the hostel for you!
Best Cheap Hostel in Florianopolis – On The Road Hostel
- Swimming Pool
Traveling on a budget isn’t too hard while backpacking through Brazil, but if you are really wanting to stretch out your money be sure to check yourself into the On The Road Hostel! At this budget youth hostel, you won’t only get some of the cheapest beds in Florianopolis, but you also get your very own swimming pool and access to the beach a mere 50m away!
The fun isn’t only in the water. On The Road has loads of games in its lounges, a snooker table, and even hundreds of LPs to set the tone for each and every night!
Best Hostel for Couples in Florianopolis – Patamar Hostel
Let’s get all you love birds out there into a backpackers hostel which is sure to have you taking long walks on the beach and enjoying candlelit dinners. Patamar doesn’t just have you near the beach, you are literally ON the beach.
It doesn’t matter if you choose to cozy up into a single room or go the cheap route and bunk up in the dorm room, each morning you will wake up to a sea breeze and the sunrise! With a large terrace overlooking both the beach and the sea, a BBQ pit, and even a bar, Patamar Hostel is THE place to go if you are wanting to spice up your holiday!
Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Florianopolis – Sagui Hostel
- Shared Kitchen
Needing a place to plug into the wi-fi for a few days and catch up on some work? Sagui Hostel is one of the best places to chill out and edit that new video or blog post while traveling through Florianopolis! With its very own lounge, computers, library, and terrace, you will find tons of room to relax and spread out in!
Looking to take a day off from working and enjoy a little bit of Florianopolis? Sagui Hostel will have you just a short minutes walk from not only the beach but all of the craziest bars and clubs in Florianopolis! All work or just play, this backpackers hostel checks all the boxes!
Best Hostel with a Private Room in Florianopolis – Vintage Hostel Florianopolis
- Free Yoga Classes
- Shared Kitchen
Needing to take a break from the overbearing hostel atmosphere and the pressure to be social? Vintage Hostel is one of those places where you can lock yourself up in your budget private room to decompress, and emerge refreshed and ready to go! With vibes which makes the place feel more like a home than a hostel, Vintage Hostel is by far one of the most down-to-earth places to stay in Florianopolis!
It’s not just the decor and general friendliness which makes Vintage Hostel beat the rest, but you will also be pampered with a shared kitchen, a bar, and even free yoga lessons!
Plus, the hostel is located right next to one of the best beaches in Florianopolis!
More Best Hostels in Florianopolis
Stay in the middle of the action (or in an off the beaten path location) using our comprehensive neighborhood guide for Florianopolis!
- Rooftop Terrace
- Free Breakfast
Can’t quite decide if you want to be closer to the tranquil turquoise waves by the beach or at the heart of the party in downtown Florianopolis? Pup Hostel puts you right smack in between the city center of Floripa and the gorgeous golden beaches!
With a rooftop terrace offering stunning views of both the city and the coastline, you will be truly getting the best of both worlds! After a night of partying, be sure to grab the free breakfast before heading out to the beaches to get rid of that nasty hangover!
- Swimming Pool
Swimming pool? Check. Bar? Check. Oceanview? Check. Caapua Hostel already probably has you clicking that “book” button with its stunning coastal views alone, but this backpackers hostel will never cease to amaze you! With laid back vibes and a home-like atmosphere, Caapua Hostel will have you extending your stay night after night!
End every day relaxing on the hostel’s outdoor terrace, beer in hand, barbeque over the fire, and a breathtaking sunset over the sea!
- Free Breakfast
With Hosteling International, you know well before you arrive in Florianopolis you are going to have the kind of stay that will truly make your trip! With its very own terrace, lounges, and pool table topping the list of things to do at HI Floripa, you are sure to never go bored!
More importantly, this backpackers hostel will have you just minutes away from the beach, meaning you will be scarfing down that free breakfast and hitting the waves in no time at all!
What to Pack for your Florianopolis Hostel
Here’s some gear our editors take hostelling.
1. Active Roots Toiletry Bag: Your toothpaste is lost in the depths of your backpack again? You won’t have this problem with the Active Roots Toiletry bag. The bag is made from a durable, water-resistant material, which can be a lifesaver on long travels. Super cool bonus: for every purchase, the company donates to an environmentally-friendly charity – it’s a win-win situation for everyone.
2. Playing Cards: These waterproof cards are essential kit for every backpacker. Play by the pool, beach or at your hostel after a long day with travel buds, without your cards breaking or getting soaked. And once you pull out those cards, the chance that you’ll be the hero of the night is pretty high (no promises though).
3. TRTL Travel Pillow: Get rid of the red eyes and yawning with this TRTL travel pillow. It’s not just a normal neck pillow (I mean, look at it!), the ergonomic design gives your neck and head so much comfortable support that you’ll actually be able to have some decent rest. Super easy to carry and clean, it takes up so little space compared to a traditional travel pillow.
4. Active Roots Microfiber Towel: Having your own towel is a must when traveling since most hostels don’t provide them. Plus as a backpacker, use of a towel will extend further than just showers, it’s a minimalist yoga towel and a great beach blanket/towel combo! The Active Roots Microfiber Towel is really the best solution for backpacking.
5. Universal Travel Adapter: Not every country has the same electrical plug style, so carry along a universal travel adapter. You’ll want one that covers varying voltage levels, has protection from power surges, a fried laptop is not fun, and enough ports so you don’t have to spend all day individually charging your devices.
6. Power Bank: Showing up to a new city, after a 14-hour bus ride, with a dead phone and no directions to your hostel is a half-awake, messy nightmare. Putting a good power bank in your pack is the best and easiest way to keep your important electronics charged up for those long travel and sightseeing days.
Grab your surfboards or just your umbrella, the beaches of Florianopolis await you! From stunning natural beauty to clubs downtown where the music never stops. When you travel to this Brazilian island, you will find so many different ways to have the time of your life!
Wanting to stay in town or by the beach? Looking to meet other travelers or hand out on your own? These are important questions to ask yourself and we understand if you are still uncertain on where to call home while staying in Florianopolis.
If you are wanting that best Brazilian island experience possible, you best check yourself into Floripa Surf Hostel, our pick for the best backpackers hostel in Florianopolis!
Crack open that beer and lay out your towel, Florianopolis is all about cold drinks and a good time!
Don’t forget to sort your travel insurance! We’ve put together a roundup of the best travel insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads now, our favourite travel insurance provider.
Do you own or run a kick ass hostel? Want to be featured in this list? Get in touch at [email protected]
Yay for transparency! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation, buy a book or sort your insurance, I’ll earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. I only link to stuff I’ve actually used and never endorse crap. Your support helps me keep the site going.
Need More Inspiration?
- Backpacking South America Travel Guide: Itineraries, Travel Tips, & More
- Backpacking Brazil on a Budget
- Is Brazil Safe?
Like this post? PIN ME!!!
Noodle addict. City dweller. Aaron Radcliffe is the marketing ninja for The Broke Backpacker, founder of Nomads Nation and Co-Founder of Ditch Your Desk.