No trip to the United States is complete without visiting the world-famous La La Land. The shining star of Los Angeles has to be that iconically conspicuous Hollywood sign which greets visitors from around the world to Tinseltown.
The spotlights, street performers, and outlandish cinemas placed anywhere else other than Hollywood would come across as tacky, but with that pinch of movie magic, the buildings along the walk of fame attract both your luxury tourists and adventurous backpackers.
Other than New York, Hollywood has to be the most visited place in all of the United States. Therefore, you will find tons of hostels in the shadow to the Hollywood sign.
As you probably already know, America is not a budget country by any stretch of the imagination and Los Angeles is no exception.
We made this guide so YOU can find the best backpackers hostels as close to the Hollywood studios as possible!
Keep your fingers crossed and you may just be the next big thing when exploring the sights of famous Hollywood!
So peep our guide to the top hostels in Hollywood below!
Quick answer: The Best Hostels in Hollywood
- Best Overall Hostel in Hollywood – USA Hostels Hollywood
- Best Party Hostel in Hollywood – Banana Bungalow Hollywood
- Best Hostel for Solo Travellers in Hollywood – Walk of Fame Hostel
- Best Cheap Hostel in Hollywood – Libra Hotel
- Best Hostel for Couples in Hollywood – Orange Drive Hostel
- Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Hollywood – Podshare
The Best Hostels in Hollywood
Making the pilgrimage to Hollywood is on most people’s bucket list. This small neighborhood of Los Angeles is the birthplace of many of our favorite films that we grew up with which we still watch to this day.
Other than the obvious lot tours and climbing up to the Hollywood sign, this area is just brimming with movie magic in the form of its colorful cinemas and animated street performers.
It is important to know that Hollywood is just a small part of the larger city of Los Angeles. When looking at hostels you need to be careful you are not booking a bed on the other side of town when you want to be as close as possible to your favorite stars.
Dorm rooms and private beds are not cheap when staying in Los Angeles and Hollywood is no different. No matter what you are looking for, be it a lively hostel, private bunks, a cozy room, or merely just a place to sleep at night, this guide has you covered no matter how you like to travel!
Best Overall Hostel in Hollywood – USA Hostels Hollywood
- Gaming Room
- Rooftop Terrace
USA hostel is about as close as you can get to a perfect hostel. USA offers a rooftop terrace, a delicious breakfast, barbeque nights, and shuttle buses. For solo travelers, the hostel has daily events which are the perfect way to get up and meet fellow travelers.
USA also provides guests with tours around the Hollywood area, ranging from simple walking tours to a more luxurious look at Tinseltown from a stretch limo! No matter how you look at it, USA Hostels is one of the best youth hostels in Los Angeles!
Best Party Hostel in Hollywood – Banana Bungalow Hollywood
- Free Breakfast
- Daily Activities
Banana Bungalow rolls out the red carpet for backpackers by offering so many activities, parties and games around their hostel that you may not even find time to go out and explore Hollywood.
Banana Bungalows has a youthful hip hostel that boasts a billiards room, live music, karaoke nights, barbeques, a movie theatre, tiki garden, and so much more.
Just when you thought it couldn’t get any better, it does. Banana’s also organizes tours from limo rides to pub crawls. There truly is never a dull moment when staying at Banana Bungalow Hollywood!
Best Hostel for Solo Travellers in Hollywood – Walk of Fame Hostel
- Great Location
- Free Breakfast
- Game Room
Walk of Fame has all of the hostels beat when it comes to its location. This hostel is so close to the action that if you time your trip just right you can watch the stars stepping out of their limos from the 2nd and 3rd story windows!
Other than being a stone’s throw away from all of the best cinemas in Hollywood, Walk of Fame also hosts daily events which are perfect for meeting other backpackers.
After hanging out all night, start the day off right with their delicious breakfast! With Walk of Fame’s location, chill vibe, and great staff, this hostel is one of the best places to stay in Hollywood!
Best Cheap Hostel in Hollywood – Libra Hotel
- Vending Machines
For travelers looking to save a few bucks, be sure to check out the recently opened Libra Hotel. This hotel offers budget dorm beds just outside of Hollywood in vibrant Korea Town.
Being in Korea Town means that you can eat at some of the best restaurants for half the price of other places around Los Angeles. The hotel has spacious lounges and comfortable dorms, are with new tasteful furniture.
Top it all off with the hotel being located right next to the subway station, Libra Hotel is one of the best places to base yourself when backpacking in Los Angeles!
Best Hostel for Couples in Hollywood – Orange Drive Hostel
- Free Breakfast
- Outdoor Terrace
Sometimes it is just not enough to go sightseeing. To get the true movie star experience you need to be staying in a piece of Hollywood history.
You can do just that by staying in this classy manor built in 1910 which was turned into a boarding house during the golden age of film, being home to no other that Marylin Monroe!
For couples, this romantic mansion is the perfect place to cozy up in one of the classicly styled private rooms or even just relax in the lounges surrounded by antique furniture! Your romantic Hollywood dream vacation starts here!
Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Hollywood – Podshare
- Shared Bikes
- Shared Kitchen
Podshare is by far one of the most innovative designs for a hostel, period. Each of the bunks strikes the perfect balance between privacy and being social. The concoction of guru interior designers, Podshare has been featured all over the web by such publications such as vice.
This hostel is particularly geared for digital nomads, the whole interior is made to increase productivity as well as comfort. An added bonus is that when booking into one pod share, guests have access to any of the branches located throughout Los Angeles!
Psst! Heading to a hostel? Don’t forget to pack a padlock! It’s well worth having one so you can secure your locker and protect your stuff!
More Best Hostels in Hollywood
Are you looking to stay in a specific neighborhood? Check out our guide to Hollywood’s best areas to stay.
- Free Breakfast
- Shared Kitchen
Banana Bungalow West Hollywood (not to be confused with Banana Bungalow) is located on the edge of Hollywood right on the border with swanky Beverly Hills.
Much like their sister hostel, Banana’s West offers daily activities to keep the party going along with bar crawls, stand up comedy, movie nights, and karaoke! The hostel’s hip design includes a tiki lounge and kitchen.
Top it all off with cool helpful staff, you have the makings for the perfect Hollywood adventure!
- Outdoor Terrace
- Movie Room
Time Zone Hostel offers a bit of everything from your typical metal framed bunk beds to your more private Japanese style pods. The hostel also offers a movie room as well as a very hip outdoor terrace.
Time Zone also boasts its daily tours doing anything from walking down the walk of fame to some hiking in the great outdoors. Time Zone is definitely suited for a younger crowd and will give you an experience you will never forget!
- Rooftop Balcony
- Free Breakfast
- Book Exchange
Melrose Hostel is a youthful budget hostel offering an open rooftop balcony, spacious lounges, and comfortable dorm beds. This hostel bills itself as being a budget-friendly “luxury hostel” with their relaxing atmosphere and top class service.
Melrose Hostel is nearby many of the best sights in all of Hollywood while still putting you in walking distance of Korea and Thai Town. The staff is also more than willing to help you have the perfect stay in Tinseltown and will go above and beyond to make sure you have the trip of a lifetime!
- Shared Kitchen
Republic Inn will have you staying in a townhouse with a very homey “suburban” feel. Tucked down a side street, Republic Inn still puts backpackers close to the action while still having the peace and quiet of a sleepy neighborhood.
This homey inn also offers an outdoor terrace, free breakfast, and staff that will make you feel right at home!
What to Pack for your Hollywood Hostel
Here’s some gear our editors take hostelling.
1. Noise-Cancelling Earbuds: You’ll have some pretty sorry roommates – it happens from time to time. These noise-canceling earbuds help mitigate the damage. The comfortable and ergonomic design won’t hurt your ears while sleeping no matter how long you keep them in. Increase the quality of your sleep by listening to some relaxing music at night or just enjoy the silence.
2. Power Bank: Everyone knows the mini heart attack when your phone is about to run out of power. Surviving long bus rides without charging stations can be agonizing, which is why every backpacker should have this Anker Power Bank. You can charge your phone up to 5 times, or plug in two devices simultaneously. With high-speed charging and enough power to keep you going for days, you can conquer even the biggest adventures without a problem.
3. Sea to Summit Travel Soap: When dirtbagging around the globe, hygiene sometimes comes a bit short. This Sea to Summit Travel Soap can wash your hands, clothes or anything else, wherever you are. The soap strips are dry and super thin but dissolve in contact with water, so you can even take it easily through security in a carry-on.
4. Active Roots Water Bottle: Hostels are increasingly meeting backpackers’ demands for potable (drinkable) water. Now is better than ever to start traveling with a reusable water bottle! Aside from cutting down single-use plastic, The Active Roots stainless steel water bottle will also keep your favorite beverage hot or cold all day long and it’s sized perfectly to fit an entire bottle of wine. ‘Nuff said.
5. Headphone Splitter: You’re the one with the Netflix account and your friend wants to watch too? But you don’t want to share headphones? And you’re good people who wouldn’t disturb your dorm mates? That’s not going to be a problem with this Headphone Splitter! Plug in two pairs of headphones at the same time, so both of you are able to listen to music or watch shows simultaneously. It comes in handy and won’t weigh you down.
6. Active Roots Toiletry Bag: Keep your bath-and-beauty items organized and in the right place with this water-resistant bag. With large compartments, mesh and enclosed clear sections, you can fit everything you might need inside. Hang it up or let it stand on its own – this bag is a must-have for dorm-lifers.
Why you should travel to Hollywood
Hollywood is that magical place where fantasy comes to life, where dreams become reality. Standing on the very spot where some of your most celebrated stars have stepped is more than enough to make your trip into one to remember for a lifetime.
From the Hollywood sign to the iconic Capitol Records skyscraper, you will find yourself constantly finding things a snap a picture of!
Out of all the hostels in Hollywood Orange Drive Hostel won us over for being a hostel which lives and breathes classic Hollywood magic!
Ready…set… action! Your first step to stardom starts here! Get ready to walk the red carpet and start your Hollywood adventure!
Travel Safety Tips for Hollywood
Don’t forget to sort your travel insurance! We’ve put together a roundup of the best travel insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads now, our favourite travel insurance provider.
More Epic Hostels in USA and North America
Hopefully by now you’ve found the perfect hostel for your upcoming trip to Hollywood.
Planning an epic trip all across USA or even North America itself?
Don’t worry – we’ve got you covered!
For more cool hostel guides around North America, check out:
- Best hostels in Los Angeles
- Best hostels in San Francisco
- Best hostels in San Diego
- Best hostels in Portland, Oregon
Over to you
By now I hope our epic guide to the best hostels in Hollywood has helped you choose the perfect hostel for your adventure!
If you think we’ve missed anything or have any further thoughts, hit us up in the comments!
Yay for transparency! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, The Broke Backpacker will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps keep the site going.