Koh Samui is a beautiful island with a thriving local community, complete with buzzy night markets, beautiful beaches, and tons of restaurants, spas and bars to try out as you zip around the island on a motorbike. That’s the way here. Just travel about by road, stopping off at anything cool you see. We love this place.
But given its popularity with not only backpackers but increasing amounts of holidaymakers from all over the world, are prices getting higher? Have the hostels been pushed out by resorts?
No! Thank god – no. There are tons of places to stay on a budget here, and everywhere offers great value for money. But we’ve done the hard work and made life easier for you by categorising the best hostels in Koh Samui for your stay.
So let’s have a look and see what this stunning and laid-back island has to offer, shall we?!
Quick answer: The Best Hostels in Koh Samui
- Best Overall Hostel in Koh Samui – The Tiki Tiki Beach Hostel
- Best Party Hostel in Koh Samui – Ubox Hostel Samui
- Best Hostel for Solo Travellers in Koh Samui – Chill Inn Beach Cafe & Hostel
- Best Cheap Hostel in Koh Samui – P&T Hostel
- Best Hostel for Couples in Koh Samui – The Boardroom Beach Bungalows
- Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Koh Samui – KoHabitat Samui
- Best Hostel with a Private Room in Koh Samui – Aforetime Beach House
Best Hostels in Koh Samui
If you are backpacking Thailand and headed to Koh Samui, these are the best hostels.
Best Overall Hostel in Koh Samui – The Tiki Tiki Beach Hostel
- Bar (With Pool Table)
- (Infinity!) Pool
- Free Drinking Water (Helpful)
When you’re in Koh Samui, let’s be honest: you wanna be near the sea. Probably anyway. So at this Koh Samui backpackers hostel – run by a cute family – they have a touch of luxury (infinity pool, anyone?) and yes, they’re near the sea. In fact, it’s on the beach.
This place is close to Lamai and its nightlife, which is cool if you’re into that. But coolest of all, the money they make from the hostel (and the bar) go towards a children’s orphanage that they sponsor, which just breaks our heart. How could this not be the best overall hostel in Koh Samui?
Best Party Hostel in Koh Samui – Ubox Hostel Samui
- No Curfew
- Outdoor Swimming Pool
Is it oobox or youbox? Dunno, but if you stay at this recommended hostel in Koh Samui you’ll also be staying in a container. Like from a container ship. It’s pretty edgy for a tropical island, and their industrial-chic game is on point, so it’s probably one of the coolest hostels in Koh Samui.
When it comes to party credentials, this place is in the centre of Chaweng’s nightlife, close to its famous bars – and, of course, the beach. So whilst being the best party hostel in Koh Samui, complete with its own bar and pool, it’s also dang cool, too.
Best Hostel for Solo Travelers in Koh Samui – Chill Inn Beach Cafe & Hostel
- Bar & Restaurant
- Air Con
- Security Lockers
Staying at this top hostel in Koh Samui you’ll be welcomed with open arms by the family that runs this place. There are sick views of the beach, I mean, it’s literally right in front of you, so how can they not be good views?
It’s the best hostel for solo travellers in Koh Samui because of its awesome social spaces, communal areas, and the fact that the staff actively encourage people to get to know each other. Every night they put on a chat with the guests, letting you know about stuff to do in the area, so you never feel at a loss when you’re by yourself.
Best Cheap Hostel in Koh Samui – P&T Hostel
- Motorbike Rental
- Air Con
One of the best places to stay on the island, this budget hostel in Koh Samui is modern, clean, has a great restaurant serving up tasty Thai food (of course), AND it’s got a travel agent on site. The ladies working here are super nice and always ready to help you out.
It’s easy (and cheap) to rent a motorbike from here, which you’ll probably want (or need) to get around the island. You can also use the infinity pool at the hotel down the street, which makes up for the otherwise busy road location. Easily the best cheap hostel in Koh Samui.
Best Hostel for Couples in Koh Samui – The Boardroom Beach Bungalows
- Cable TV
Like many hostels in Thailand, this one has bungalows. Even the name of this place sounds like it’s gonna be pretty exclusive and romantic – and it is. You can stay in one of the cute lil’ beach bungalows with their private balconies and ACTUAL glass in the windows (not just bamboo slats) and fridges and air con.
So, as you can tell from what we’re saying, it’s pretty much the best hostel for couples in Koh Samui. It’s easy to get that Sandals feeling on a budget – you know how we do.
Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Koh Samui – KoHabitat Samui
- Uber Cool
- Self Catering Facilities
- Free Tea & Coffee
Yep, this place is like a coworking space… but on an island. It really is possible to live the dream working remotely from a paradise island, and here you can do that to perfection. It’s literally, like actually, geared up for being the best hostel for digital nomads in Koh Samui.
The bunk beds are top-of-the-range, more like private curtained little tiny hubs of sockets and comfy mattresses than ‘bunk beds’; there’s loadsa open space with plants and dark wood for when you get your work done. Looks-wise, it’s easily one of the coolest hostels in Koh Samui. And don’t worry – this place does NOT attract party animals.
Best Hostel with a Private Room in Koh Samui – Aforetime Beach House
- Free Breakfast
- Air Con
Aforetime… aforetime. Hmm. Ok. Anyway, this top hostel in Koh Samui is set inside a 63-year-old traditional Thai wooden house by the sea. But obviously super modern and Insta-worthy. Flashpackers will love this place – and the likes it will get ’em.
It’s small and the private rooms here are so, so cool. So without a doubt, it’s the best hostel with a private room in Koh Samui. Pretty much in the middle of nowhere, you get to soak up traditional Samui life here, making it an experience for people looking for something other than full moon parties and lads on tour.
Psst! Heading to a hostel? Don’t forget to pack a padlock! It’s well worth having one so you can secure your locker and protect your stuff!
More Best Hostels in Koh Samui
Are you looking to stay in a specific vibe? Check out our comprehensive guide on Koh Samui’s best areas to stay in, and book the perfect place for your trip!.
- Bar & Restaurant
- Late Check-out
- Definitely Cheap
Bit of a hippy vibe going on here: patterned curtains and cushions galore. Which makes it even more perfect if you like that sorta thing. This recommended hostel in Koh Samui is owned by some English folk and it’s very good value for money.
Yep, Koh Samui backpackers hostel also serves up tasty food in its onsite restaurant, including frozen cocktails which go down an absolute TREAT in the humidity of this island. It’s located near one of the main piers on the island, so you can easily get to Pha Ngan for the full moon party.
- Book Exchange
- Security Lockers
Is there a cat here? Yes, several: you can cuddle ’em. But this place is a cool Koh Samui backpackers hostel by the sea with a cool relaxing atmosphere that feels very nice if you’ve done a bit too much partying in your Thailand trip so far. (We know the feeling).
This top hostel in Koh Samui is a great place to have a few chilled drinks as the sun sinks below the horizon. It’s away from the tourist sights but it’s easy to walk to bars and restaurants from here. Cheap and laid-back, this is a solid option for a hostel in Koh Samui.
- Air Con
- Swimming Pool
What IS it with hostels and putting ‘monkey’ in the name? Just don’t get it. But anyway… This place is a recommended hostel in Koh Samui partly because of its location in the centre of Chaweng.
Here you can have a few drinkies at the rooftop – yes, rooftop – bar, take a refreshing dip in the hostel pool and meet with some of the other peeps hanging around at this place. Modern, clean, and vibey, it’s basically a very decent Koh Samui backpackers hostel.
What to Pack for your Koh Samui Hostel
Here’s some gear our editors take hostelling.
1. Playing Cards: Name your ideal night: I’m for a few cheap beers and some card games. Oh, and you don’t even have to be drinking to enjoy a game – having cards with you traveling definitely helps out on those long airplane or beach days! Make sure to snag a waterproof deck to protect from the pool, ocean or Chang.
2. Universal Travel Adapter: This universal travel adapter charges your devices in (pretty much) every country – definitely a lifesaver when travelling around the world. The plug also regulates the power output depending on which device you’re charging. No more fried hair dryers or electric razors!
3. Active Roots Water Bottle: Sturdy and durable, the Active Roots water bottle survives the roughest adventures while keeping your drink cold or hot for at least 24 hours. Vacuum-sealed and made from stainless steel, the bottle can fit 25oz, which is plenty to keep you hydrated. Super cool bonus: the bottle isn’t just super useful, it helps to reduce the single-use plastic waste – save the planet by filling up your bottle.
4. Noise-Cancelling Earbuds: Noise in hostels… is a thing. Your bunkmate coming in late, motorbike traffic just below your window, construction on the property or the round-the-clock rooster that seems to follow you to every f*cking hostel. Having a way to escape the noise while you sleep makes for a well-rested morning. Noise canceling ear-buds are a great solution, just put on your favorite artist or load a quick Netflix episode to fall asleep too.
5. Sea to Summit Travel Soap: The Sea to Summit multipurpose soap leaves are the perfect hygiene travel companion. The individual, Leave-no-Trace-certified strips are great for keeping your hands clean before you eat in that dodgy but delicious restaurant. There are also little strip packs for laundry, shampoo and shaving.
6. Active Roots Microfiber Towel: Having your own towel is a must when traveling since most hostels don’t provide them. Plus as a backpacker, use of a towel will extend further than just showers, it’s a minimalist yoga towel and a great beach blanket/towel combo! The Active Roots Microfiber Towel is really the best solution for backpacking.
Why you should travel to Koh Samui
Wow. As you can see, there’s a lot of quality in these budget hostels in Koh Samui.
Amongst the best hostels this island has to offer, you’ll find cool Koh Samui hostels dripping with Insta aesthetic as much as charming places smack bang on the beach.
And, since you’re in Thailand, the staff are pretty much some of the nicest, chillest and most helpful going. You’ll love ’em.
Whether you want to stay in a buzzy, party town, or somewhere a bit more local, there’ll be something for you on our handy list of the best hostels in Koh Samui.
But if you can’t decide (and we don’t blame you!) there’s always The Tiki Tiki Beach Hostel – our top pick for the best hostel in Koh Samui. It’s definitely a great all-round option for anybody looking to soak up the magic of this amazing island.
Travel Safety Tips for Koh Samui
Don’t forget to sort your travel insurance before heading to Koh Samui! We’ve put together a roundup of the best travel insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads, our favorite travel insurance provider.
Getting an estimate from World Nomads is simple – just click the button or image below, fill out the necessary info, and you’re on your way!
More Epic Hostels in Thailand and Southeast Asia
Hopefully by now you’ve found the perfect hostel for your upcoming trip to Koh Samui.
Planning an epic trip all across Thailand or even Southeast Asia itself?
Don’t worry – we’ve got you covered!
For more cool hostel guides around Southeast Asia, check out:
Over to you
By now I hope our epic guide to the best hostels in Koh Samui has helped you choose the perfect hostel for your adventure!
If you think we’ve missed anything or have any further thoughts, hit us up in the comments!
Yay for transparency! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, The Broke Backpacker will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps keep the site going.