If you knew nothing else about Spain, you would at least know about the world-famous running of the bulls. Once a year, all eyes are fixated on the small town of Pamplona. Thousands of people flood the historic narrow winding streets of the old city to witness the running of the bulls. Home to traditional music and elaborate parades, this is one party you will not want to miss!
No matter when you come to Pamplona, you can still marvel at the city’s undeniable beauty. The only difference is that the number of tourists is just a fraction of what you would see during the San Fermin Festival. That being said, you will find very few hostels found in the old city of Pamplona.
That’s exactly why we made this one-stop guide! We have brought together all the best hostels in Pamplona so you can book with confidence that you will be staying in only the best of what the city has to offer!
Be ready to dodge some bulls and grab a few bottles of wine. Your Pamplona adventure awaits!
Quick Answer: The Best Hostels in Pamplona
- Overall Best Hostel in Pamplona – Xarma Hostel
- Best Hostel for Solo Travelers in Pamplona – Albergue Plaza Catedral
- Best Cheap Hostel in Pamplona – Aloha Hostel Pamplona
- Best Hostel for Couples in Pamplona – Alojamientos Olga
- Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Pamplona – Alojamientos Estela
The Best Hostels in Pamplona
All the pubs and festivals of Pamplona await! But before you can start exploring the old city you will need to find that perfect hostel. Keeps your eyes peeled, each of our stays is all a bit different from the last!
Best Overall Hostel in Pamplona – Xarma Hostel
- Breakfast Included
- Shared Kitchen
Located just a few minutes away from all the historic wonder of the town hall and the bullfighting arena, you will not find a better place in Pamplona to kick off your adventure than Xarma Hostel. This backpackers hostel check all the boxes for the expectation a traveler would have from their youth hostel. With a shared kitchen, relaxing lounges, and a laid back vibe, Xarma Hostel is a place where travelers are meant to mix together and share stories. Top it off with a free delicious breakfast served every morning, you are getting a steal for the number of perks put into this great hostel!
Best Hostel for Solo Travelers in Pamplona- Albergue Plaza Catedral
- Shared Kitchen
You can’t get much closer to the action than this folks! Albergue Plaza Catedral will have you staying just opposite from the breathtaking Pamplona Catedral, with all the rest of the most amazing sights of the old town within a stone’s throw away. When you aren’t out sightseeing or hitting up one of the many local pubs, Albergue Plaza Catedral will give you that perfect refuge to recharge your batteries and just relax! With its very own lounge and balcony, you will find that there is tons of room to spread out in and just relax at this laid-back backpackers hostel!
Best Cheap Hostel in Pamplona – Aloha Hostel Pamplona
- Breakfast Included
Looking to save a few extra bucks while you are out on the road? Say hello to Aloha Hostel, a backpacker’s hostel offering some of the cheapest dorm beds in Pamplona! Putting you just a few minutes away from the bus station in downtown Pamplona, you will be within just a few steps of your hostel and all the excitement of the downtown from the very second you hop off the bus! With its very own outdoor terrace and spacious lounge, you will find that there are so many ways to relax at this backpacker’s hostel! Top it off this a free breakfast served every morning, and Aloha Hostel secures its spot as one of the top hostels in Pamplona!
Best Hostel for Couples in Pamplona – Alojamientos Olga
- Central Location
Are you and your special someone looking to add a little extra romance to your holiday in Spain? While you are in Pamplona leave the hostels behind and check into this homey budget guesthouse! With rooms just a couple of Euros more than what you would pay for a dorm bed, Alojamientos Olga will have you staying in some of the coziest rooms in Pamplona! With its bright atmosphere and tasteful decor, you are getting a luxury stay on a backpacker’s budget. Top it off with a location right by some of the best sights and bars in Pamplona, you couldn’t ask for a better place to call home!
Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Pamplona – Alojamientos Estela
- Tour Desk
- Pub Crawls
After you take some great videos and click some great shots of Pamplona, you will probably need a few days to edit and write about your adventure. One of the best places in Pamplona for your digital nomads is Alojamientos Estela! With its homey budget rooms, you can upgrade from that dorm bed and get all the peace and quiet of a hotel for just a few Euros more! When you finally close your laptop, you will find that all the best sights of Pamplona are waiting just a few steps outside your door! Complete with a tour desk to really help you get your adventure started, Alojamientos Estela is the complete package!
Psst! Heading to a hostel? Don’t forget to pack a padlock! It’s well worth having one so you can secure your locker and protect your stuff!
More of the Best Hostels in Pamplona
- Shared Kitchen
No matter if you are looking to get in touch with a more local side of Pamplona or you are wanting to save a few Euros, Mariluz will have you staying in a spacious yet homey BnB just minutes away from all the fun downtown. With a shared kitchen, lounge, and private room, you will have your option of mixing with the family or relaxing on your own in your cozy room. With its warm and welcoming atmosphere, you will feel more like you are staying with friends than just another impersonal hotel.
Single-use plastic bottles are a huge threat to Marine Life – Be a part of the solution and travel with a filter water bottle.
The GRAYL GEOPRESS water bottle is the ONLY all-in-one filter water bottle setup you’ll need. Whether you need to purify the water from a hostel sink in Kathmandu or a stream trickle in the Andes, the Geopress has got you covered.
Read our full review of the GRAYL GEOPRESS!
At Gestion de Alojamientos you will be pampering yourself by staying in a spacious yet cozy room just minutes away from all the action in Pamplona’s old town! No need to be worried about the price! This budget guesthouse will have you enjoying all the peace and quiet of a private room without having to pay much more than what you would at a backpacker’s hostel! Complete with balconies overlooking the nearby garden, this is one stay that will check all your boxes. The icing on top is the staff who will make you feel right at home in Pamplona. No matter what way you look at it, Gestion de Alojamientos is one of the best stays to base yourself out of in Pamplona!
What to Pack for your Pamplona Hostel
We don’t often travel without these essentials.
1. Active Roots Toiletry Bag: The Active Roots Toiletry bag keeps all of your bathroom essential items organized instead of flowing around your backpack. Having everything handy and accessible in one water-resistant bag is a bathroom lifesaver. This toiletry bag also helps from being that embarrassed person walking back to the dorm room, in a towel, to grab forgotten shampoo.
2. Universal Travel Adapter: This universal travel adapter is the best we’ve found. Covering over 150 countries, you’ll always have the right plug charge your phone. You can also charge up to 5 devices simultaneously with the multiple USB ports.
3. Active Roots Microfiber Towel: Having your own towel is a must when traveling since most hostels don’t provide them. Plus as a backpacker, use of a towel will extend further than just showers, it’s a minimalist yoga towel and a great beach blanket/towel combo! The Active Roots Microfiber Towel is really the best solution for backpacking.
4. Powerbank: Everyone knows the mini heart attack when your phone is about to run out of power. Surviving long bus rides without charging stations can be agonizing, which is why every backpacker should have this Anker Power Bank. You can charge your phone up to 5 times, or plug in two devices simultaneously. With high-speed charging and enough power to keep you going for days, you can conquer even the biggest adventures without a problem.
5. Padlock: Keep your stuff safe, guys. Unfortunately not all dorm lockers share the same security standard. You’ll want a lightweight lock that can fit all the various dorm lockers you’ll clip it to. Having a padlock that is flexible and can fit a variety of locker styles is the best way to make sure none of your belongings wander away while you are out.
6. Playing Cards: Name your ideal night: I’m for a few cheap beers and some card games. Oh, and you don’t even have to be drinking to enjoy a game – having cards with you traveling definitely helps out on those long airplane or beach days! Make sure to snag a waterproof deck to protect from the pool, ocean or Chang.
Why you should travel to Pamplona
Although you won’t exactly be swimming in backpackers hostels in Pamplona, the dorm rooms you will
find are sure to have you saving money and showing you the time of your life! If you are still torn between a great youth hostel and a budget hotel, let us help point you in the right direction. For that classic backpacker’s experience in Pamplona, you will want to be sure to stay in Xarma Hostel, our pick for the best hostel in Pamplona!
Over to you
There are a million different reasons for you to fall in love with Pamplona. The rainbow pastel-colored historic streets, centuries-old forts, traditional music, animated parades, and the adrenaline-filled running of the bulls held every year. Even if bullfights are not your cup of tea, the sheer beauty and charm of the city are enough on its own to have you fantasizing about moving to the city.
Pamplona has more than enough to tickle to the fancy of any backpacker traveling through Spain, but unfortunately, there is not enough youth hostels to meet the demand. The hostels you will find, however, will be your oasis in the city. Providing you with that perfect base to recharge and throw yourself back into the thick of the action in Pamplona!
If you have ever traveled to Pamplona we would love to hear about your trip! Have you stayed in any great backpacker’s hostels in Pamplona we may have missed? Let us know in the comments below!
Don’t forget to sort your travel insurance! We’ve put together a roundup of the best travel insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads now, our favourite travel insurance provider.
Do you own or run a kick ass hostel? Want to be featured in this list? Get in touch at [email protected]
Yay for transparency! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, The Broke Backpacker will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps keep the site going.