As the capital of Louisiana State, Baton Rouge is one of the most significant places in this region! With an amazing history, a whole host of museum and art galleries to explore, as well as some brilliant all-age activities, you’ll not be short of things to do here
It has been the inspiration for some very well-known popular culture and receives thousands of visitors a year – why not come and see why?
With so much to offer, it can be quite overwhelming when trying to decide where to stay in Baton Rouge.
But with our easy, step-by-step guide, you’ll find the best areas to stay in Baton Rouge to meet your interests and budget!
Without further ado, here’s our guide to where to stay in Baton Rouge, Louisiana!
Quick Tips: Where to Stay in Baton Rouge
- Where to Stay in Baton Rouge for the First Time – The Riverfront
- Where to Stay in Baton Rouge on a Budget – South Baton Rouge
- Where to Stay in Baton Rouge for Families – Garden District
- Delve into history by visiting the Magnolia Mound Plantation.
- You can’t come to Baton Rouge without paying a visit to the amazing USS Kidd.
- In order to see some fantastic architecture, head over to Louisiana’s Old State Capitol.
Baton Rouge might not be on the top of the list when it comes to backpacking USA destinations, but that doesn’t mean the city has nothing to offer. It’s actually quite the opposite. There are numerous amazing things to do in Baton Rouge, you might even start thinking about extending your stay for a bit!
If you’re stopping over, the first thing you’ll need to do is find your accommodation. Looking for a specific stay? These are our highest recommendations for places to stay in Baton Rouge…
Best Airbnb in Baton Rouge: Full Downtown Home
Enjoy a morning coffee on your front porch, or a night of board games in the bright dining room at this delightful cottage in the Downtown area. Excellently furnished and lovingly decorated, this little house is perfect for a relaxing getaway.
It’s close enough to the centre of town for you to enjoy the action, but far enough away to allow for some privacy and relaxation.VIEW ON AIRBNB
Best Hotel in Baton Rouge: Microtel Inn & Suites
Not only is this hotel right next to the airport, so transportation shouldn’t be an issue, it’s also very reasonably priced! Just a few steps away from some lovely restaurants and offering complimentary breakfast, this hotel is a no-brainer if you’re looking for value for money!VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Best Luxury Hotel in Baton Rouge: L’Auberge Casino Hotel
A little out of the city, you’ll find this hotel which is the perfect example of a brilliantly luxurious resort hotel. With everything you could need on-site, you’ll not want to leave.
There’s an outdoor pool, brilliant restaurant and even a nightclub downstairs! If you’re coming here for a bit of a party, this is the place for you.VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Quick Summary: The Best Places to Stay in Baton Rouge
|Check Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
South Baton Rouge
|Check Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
Literally translating as ‘Red Stick’ Baton Rouge is the state capital of Louisiana, abutting the beautiful Mississippi River. As the 99th most populous city in the US, it is exciting, bustling and full of adventures. But don’t worry, if you’re looking for a chance to relax, we’ve found the best neighbourhoods for you to enjoy all kinds of activities.
Home to one of the best universities in the United States, Baton Rouge is renowned for its culture, history and industry. There are loads of museums and galleries to explore here, whether it be about rural life, military history or even a museum purely dedicated to kids! Having been discovered and colonised by French explorers, Baton Rouge has loads of different influences on its architecture, culture and lifestyle, making it a fascinating place to stay.
For the first time, you simply have to stay on the Riverfront. Not only is this right in the heart of the city, but it’s also the best place to stay if you want access to some of the greatest attractions there are on offer.
Just because Baton Rouge is a place of luxury doesn’t mean you have to splash the cash here. We’ve also found the best place to stay in this amazing city for those of you wanting to save some dollar. South Baton Rouge may be a little out of the main area of the city, but there’s still great access to the hub, as well as fantastic activities in the local area.
Travelling with children can be stressful, and planning what to do with them once you get that can be even worse. But we’ve got you covered to plan an amazing getaway depending on your hobbies and budget. Whether you enjoy getting outside and trying out new sports, or exploring museums and galleries, there’s plenty on offer here to make sure it’s a trip of a lifetime.
Louisiana’s state capital boasts some brilliant sports, whether it’s baseball or American football, and there are loads of parks and green spaces where you can have a go yourself! With a port that is the 9th largest in the United States, and one of the farthest upstream ports on the Mississippi, Baton Rouge’s industrial significance is immeasurable. It also makes it easy to access, whether by highways or by plane at the Baton Rouge International Airport which is just downtown, about ten minutes from the centre. Getting around the inner city can be done easily by car or by bus!
Top 3 Neighbourhoods in Baton Rouge
With so much history, culture and scenery to enjoy, Baton Rouge is one of the best places to stay in Louisiana!
Not only will you have the beauty of the Mississippi River to enjoy if you stay on The Riverfront, but you’ll also be able to learn all about this fabulous city! Whether you want to see some traditional American sports or be educated about Louisiana’s varied and fascinating past, you can do all of that here.
Here, you’ll have access to both sides of the river and you’ll be right at the heart of the excitement and bustle. With loads of hotels, restaurants and cafes to choose from, you’ll be spoilt for choice for light bites and fine dining.
Things to See and Do in The Riverfront
– If you’re looking for a truly American experience, head to Louisiana State University’s Tiger Stadium and enjoy a game of American Football, along with around 100,000 other spectators!
– Delve into history by visiting the Magnolia Mound Plantation. It’s an 18th century home which is one of the oldest wooden buildings in the whole state – why not take a tour?
– You can’t come to Baton Rouge without paying a visit to the amazing USS Kidd. Both an amazing piece of marine engineering and a fascinating museum, you’ll be both informed and blown away.
– In order to see some fantastic architecture, head over to Louisiana’s Old State Capitol. It’s now a museum and gives you a chance to get to know the old Louisiana!
– Planetariums, galleries and exhibits – what more could you want? If the answer is “nothing” then head over to the Louisiana Art & Science Museum!
Best Airbnb in The Riverfront: Elegant Condo with Pool
This is a brand-new apartment which is part of a luxurious complex offering you all kind of great perks! You’ll have access to an outdoor pool, as well as a coffee bar for you to grab some caffeine before a day of exploring The Riverfront!
Sleeping four guests in two bedrooms, this is the best place to stay on a budget with some friends!VIEW ON AIRBNB
Best Hotel in The Riverfront: Hilton Baton Rouge Capitol Center
This trusted chain of hotels will be a familiar sight to many of you, so you know the standard of quality you’ll get here, and not for too large a price! With views over the Mississippi River, and Kingfish, the hotel’s signature restaurant onsite, you can enjoy luxury without forking out loads of money.VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Best Luxury Hotel in The Riverfront: Watermark Baton Rouge, Autograph Collection
This is a modern and stylish hotel found almost right on the river. You’ll have easy access to attractions like the USS Kidd listed above, but if you fancy a day lounging around, this hotel is the best place for you to do that!
With a business centre for those of you travelling for work and a brilliant restaurant for those of you wanting some fine dining, all your needs will be catered for here.VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Baton Rouge doesn’t have to be the place for those who want to splash the cash. If you’re travelling on a budget, we’ve got you covered. Whether you want to get into the great outdoors or get to know something about local history, this is the neighbourhood for you!
Although this neighbourhood is a little further out of the centre of Baton Rouge, it is by no means any less interesting or exciting! As you’ll see below, there’s still so much to see and do here, and transport links are great, so you can come and go as you please!
Things to See and Do in South Baton Rouge:
– If you want to get up close and personal with the local nature, whilst also getting some fresh air out of the city, head to BREC’s Bluebonnet Swamp Nature Center. There’s loads of plants and animal exhibits, as well as plenty of opportunities just to take a stroll through some lovely parkland.
– More gardens now, but these are a little more refined. The Burden Museum and Gardens boasts 440 acres of botanic gardens, 5 miles of paths and an open-air museum.
– Become a kid again and enjoy a day at the Blue Bayou Water Park! With slides, rides and pools, there’s something for everyone here!
– Why not see the city from a different perspective? Jump on a kayak at Highland Road Community Park’s Kayak Launch and take a water-based tour around the parklands.
– If the weather is looking a bit sad, head to the Mall of Louisiana, where you’ll find loads of shops, cinemas and eateries to keep you entertained until the rain passes over.
Best Airbnb in South Baton Rouge: Lone Pine at Lee Drive
Have some privacy with this place to yourself! It’s a full house sleeping 6, so you have the option to bring some friends with you too if you’re travelling in a group.
Quaint and stress-free, this lovely cottage has plenty of parking and has been elegantly furnished to make sure you can relax in the living room, sleep soundly in the bedroom and cook up a storm in the kitchen!VIEW ON AIRBNB
Best Hotel in South Baton Rouge: Baton Rouge Marriott
Amazing amenities without the amazing price! This is the best place to stay in South Baton Rouge if you’re looking for luxury at a low cost.
There’s a gym, an outdoor pool and some lovely gardens for you to take a stroll around, all of which will help you unwind after a busy day exploring.VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Best Luxury Hotel in South Baton Rouge: DoubleTree by Hilton
A trusted brand, this hotel will keep you comfortable and relaxed for the duration of your stay. Each room is fully equipped with a TV, pampering baths and luxury bedding.
Fuel up on the extensive breakfast buffet before heading out to explore South Baton Rouge, which is easily accessible from DoubleTree!VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Not only is this neighbourhood the best place for some peace and quiet, but it is also the best place to get involved in some fascinating activities for all the family to enjoy. Planning a holiday for the family is always a stressful thing to do, but don’t worry, we’ve got some awesome adventures for you to do!
Whether you want to try out a new sport, learn about your surroundings or just enjoy some fresh air, then this is the perfect place for you.
Things to See and Do in Garden District:
– Take the kids to blow off some steam at the Liberty Lagoon! With slides, playgrounds and loungers, there’s something for all the family to enjoy here.
– Why not take the kids to get their brains working at the Knock Knock Children’s Museum? There are fun exhibits and you’ll be right in the centre of the beautiful Garden District.
– Tee off from the City Park Golf Course. Whether you’re into golf or not, this is a great opportunity to get the family out of doors and spending some great time together!
– Think you’ve got nerves of steel? Head to the 13th Gate Haunted House. Dubbed ‘Louisiana’s Ultimate Haunted House Attraction’, this is the perfect place to bring the family to get your adrenaline running!
– Why not take the kids to make some friends down at BREC Farr Park Equestrian Centre? Have a go at horse-riding and even camp out with the horses!
Best Airbnb in Garden District: Awesome 3-bedroom house in a phenomenal location
For something more resembling a family home, then look no further. As it says in the name, this lovely house is large enough for you to bring all the family and furnished to meet all your needs. With TVs to gather in front of and a large family kitchen and dining area, you can spend some quality time together here. Also, it’s located right in the centre of the Garden District, not too far from the centre of town either. What’s not to like?VIEW ON AIRBNB
Best Hotel in Garden District: Candlewood Suites Baton Rouge
This simple, yet charming hotel is conveniently located so that you can get here nice and easy and relax as soon as you walk through the door. The friendly staff are always on hand to answer any questions and help you plan your trip!
Having the option of a suite means that you’ll have your private kitchen and lounging area, which is perfect if you’re coming with the whole family.VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Best Luxury Hotel in Garden District: Courtyard by Marriott
Relax by the outdoor pool while the kids splash in the water, enjoy a family meal at the restaurant and enjoy an undisturbed night’s rest in the ultra-comfy beds. If you want to blow off some steam here, there’s also a 24-hour fitness centre for you to use. With a variety of rooms to choose from, you can decide what’s best for you and your family easily.VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Final Thoughts on Where to Stay in Baton Rouge
Gorgeous scenery, amazing history and vibrant culture – Baton Rouge has so much to offer to travellers of all types! It comes as no surprise that Baton Rouge is the perfect place to stay for people of all ages!
To recap: The Riverfront is the best place to stay in Baton Rouge for your first time. Beautiful views and loads of museums and galleries to explore!
To recap: Baton Rouge’s most luxurious hotel is L’Auberge Casino Hotel – the perfect place to unwind!
If you’re travelling on a bit more of a budget, then the best place to stay in Girona is Microtel Inn & Suites – great transport links and low cost!
Have we missed anything? Let us know in the comments below, Otherwise, enjoy your travels!
While USA can be very safe, it’s super important to make sure you get travel insurance! We’ve put together a roundup of the best travel insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads now, our favourite travel insurance provider.
Getting an estimate from World Nomads is simple – just click the button or image below, fill out the necessary info, and you’re on your way!
Do you own an awesome hostel, hotel or apartment? Want to be featured in our list? Email [email protected] to find out how.
Yay for transparency! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, The Broke Backpacker will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps me keep the site going.