Deep in the heart of the Kootenays, Revelstoke is an idyllic skiing city with stunning mountain views and laid-back vibes. It isn’t as popular as other cities in the region, so it also benefits from low tourism numbers and a more local feel. If you live in Canada and are looking for a gorgeous staycation this winter, Revelstoke is the place to be.
Fewer tourists mean fewer crowds – but it also makes researching the destination a bit more difficult. What neighbourhood is best for you really depends on what you want out of your trip – as well as what time of year you’re visiting. Revelstoke is small in population but sprawls across the banks of a wide river, so getting around isn’t exactly easy.
Which is why we decided to create this guide. We’ve consulted locals, travel experts, and our own personal experience to bring you this guide to the three best places to stay in and around Revelstoke. Whether you want stunning scenery, epic skiing experiences, or simply somewhere to relax for a few days – we’ve got you sorted!
So let’s jump right into it!
- Where to Stay in Revelstoke
- Revelstoke Neighborhood Guide
- Revelstoke 3 Best Neighborhoods to Stay in
- #1 City Centre – Overall Best Place to Stay in Revelstoke
- #2 Sicamous – Best Place to Stay near Revelstoke on a Budget
- #3 Revelstoke Mountain Resort – Where to Stay in Revelstoke for Winter Sports
- FAQ about Finding a Place to Stay in Revelstoke
- Final Thoughts on Where To Stay in Revelstoke?
Revelstoke is deceptively big when you consider how far it stretches along the side of the river. That being said, if you’re bringing your own car, it’s pretty easy to navigate. If you’re in a hurry and don’t mind which neighbourhood you end up in, these are our top three overall accommodation picks.
Romantic Hideaway in Revelstoke – Downtown Studio
Rain, snow, or shine – the romantic vibes of this quaint little cabin make this the ideal spot for couples heading to Revelstoke! Despite the city centre location, it has a secluded atmosphere thanks to the large outdoor space. The rustic interiors give this studio a cosy feel, and there’s a small fire pit for toasting marshmallows on the front porch.
Beautiful Lakeside Views near Revelstoke – Lakeview Vacation Home
Get back to basics with this rustic cabin in nearby Sicamous! Housing up to eight people across three bedrooms, this is one for families looking for a peaceful getaway. It faces the lake, giving you unbeatable views of the gorgeous British Columbia nature. We also love the huge hot tub outdoors, perfect for warming up on those colder evenings.
Extravagant Hotel in Revelstoke – Sutton Place Hotel
As the only five-star hotel in Revelstoke, this is the perfect choice for those looking to splurge on a luxury vacation! It has an outdoor pool that can be used during the summer, but this hotel truly shines in the winter season. It is located right in the heart of the mountain resort, giving you unparalleled access to the slopes.
Revelstoke is a pretty small city, so you’ll find all the main attractions around the City Centre. If this is your first time in the region, the City Centre is a great base for exploring further afield.
Stretching along the Eagle River as it flows into Lake Shuswap, Sicamous is an idyllic little city less than an hour away from Revelstoke. For those on a budget, it offers cheaper accommodation and dining options – without having to compromise on quality.
Revelstoke Mountain Resort
Visiting in the winter? You’ll want to base yourself in the south of the city – close to Revelstoke Mountain Resort! The only ski resort in the city, it offers free skiing, ski and snowboard lessons and unbeatable aprés-ski facilities.
Want to travel further? Find out where to stay in Canada next to explore the best places and awesome hotspots.
Revelstoke 3 Best Neighborhoods to Stay in
There are two main tourist areas in Revelstoke – plus a few smaller surrounding villages. Keep reading to learn more about the best places to stay in and around Revelstoke, as well as tips on the best accommodation and activities in each!
- COOLEST thing to do in City Centre: drive all the way up to the peak of Mount Revelstoke – or hike if you have the stamina!
- BEST place to visit in City Centre: visit the Revelstoke Dam for some great photo opportunities overlooking the city and river.
Revelstoke is a pretty small city, so you’ll find all the main attractions around the City Centre. If this is your first time in the region, the City Centre is a great base for exploring further afield. Even if you don’t have a car, there are plenty of fantastic tour companies offering excursions deep into the National Park.
In particular, we think the City Centre is your best bet for visiting during the warmer season! This is where you’ll get the quickest access to watersports and hiking trails, as the city centre winds along the banks of Columbia River. In the evenings, this is also where you can find the best bars and restaurants in town.
Rustic Getaway in City Centre: Downtown Studio
Planning a romantic vacation to the mountains this winter? Look no further than this cute little cabin in the heart of Revelstoke! Decorated with local pottery, wooden panels, and sturdy furnishings, it has a rustic and authentic feel that will have you not wanting to leave. The high ceilings let in plenty of natural light – no matter what time of year you choose to visit.
Quaint Retreat in City Centre: Snowshoe Pete’s
This rustic little holiday home is right in the heart of the city! The museum is only a short walk away, as are a wide selection of restaurants and bars. There is a small outdoor area where you can soak up the relaxed vibes of central Revelstoke, with a cute little dining table for those visiting in warmer weather. Those visiting in the winter can make great use of the log burning stove.
Stylish Condo in City Centre: Lux Downtown
Looking for a bit of an upgrade? This super stylish condo is pretty central – and perfect for large groups and families. There is a large deck area outdoors with panoramic views of the mountains, and many of the best restaurants in the city are only a few minutes away on foot. The master bedroom comes with an en-suite, and all the rooms are well furnished.
Things to See and Do in City Centre
- Revelstoke has two excellent museums – the Revelstoke Museum, with exhibits about the city’s history, and the Railway Museum (which is our personal favourite).
- Newbie to hiking and mountain sports? Selkirk Mountain Experience have a variety of excursions on offer to get you started on the right foot.
- There are plenty of fantastic restaurants in the City Centre – we love the Village Idiot, in particular, especially their locally famous pizza.
- Outabounds is a luxurious little bar in the heart of the city with leather sofas, a huge wine menu and laid back vibes.
- If you want something a little more budget-friendly, the Last Drop Pub is popular with locals and hosts live music nights throughout the week.
- COOLEST thing to do in Sicamous: rent a canoe (or a boat if you want to chill out) and explore the calm waters of Lake Shuswap.
- BEST place to visit in Sicamous: Sicamous Beach Park is the perfect spot for soaking up the atmosphere and admiring the view.
Stretching along the Eagle River as it flows into Lake Shuswap, Sicamous is an idyllic little city less than an hour away from Revelstoke. For those on a budget, it offers cheaper accommodation and dining options – without having to compromise on quality. If you’re bringing your own car and plan on travelling around the region, Sicamous is a worthy alternative.
It’s also a great spot for visiting during the summer! Lake Shuswap has plenty of watersports facilities available on its banks, and the budget-friendly canoes make this a popular choice with families. What’s more, it’s even less touristy than Revelstoke, so you’ll get an authentic, rural British Columbia experience.
Cosy Cabin in Sicamous: Owlhead Creek
Need something a bit smaller? This is another adorable little cabin that is ideal for both solo travellers and adventurous couples. There’s a small deck at the front with views of the lake and surrounding forests. It also has a small barbecue if you’re visiting for what’s left of the summer. Into hiking? The trail outside the property takes you to an awe-inspiring waterfall.
Scenic Holiday Home in Sicamous: Lakeview Vacation Home
This is, without a doubt, our top pick for families heading to the region! Spacious yet rustic, it is the perfect blend of local charm and modern convenience. The views of the lake are, of course, stunning – and well complemented by mountain views on the other side of the house. If you can bring yourself to leave the hot tub, you can rent paddleboards from the neighbours and explore the lake.
Budget Friendly Hotel in Sicamous: Best Western Sicamous Inn
Sometimes, you really just need a hotel – but what if you don’t want to break the bank? Thankfully, the four-star Best Western Sicamous Inn combines comfort with great prices on rooms. It has an indoor pool – meaning you can enjoy a dip regardless of the weather – and a complimentary breakfast is included. Central Sicamous attractions, like the D’Dutchmen Dairy, are only a few minutes walk away.
Things to See and Do in Sicamous
- If you’re travelling between Sicamous and Revelstoke, stop off at the Enchanted Forest and check out the fairy tale sculptures – perfect for families!
- Kids a bit more adventurous? Skytrek Adventure Park is just across the road, offering adrenaline-pumping zip lines and climbing walls.
- Moose Mulligans Public Eatery is our favourite restaurant on the lake, offering casual dining at great prices. We especially love the tacos.
- Red Barn Art Centre always has community events on where you can check out crafts from local artisans.
- Blondies Café is an idyllic little breakfast spot in the centre of town with a colourful porch serving up marvellous views alongside your morning cup of joe.
- COOLEST thing to do Revelstoke Mountain Resort: Revelstoke Mountain Resort is the place to be during the winter, with slopes to suit all levels.
- BEST place to visit Revelstoke Mountain Resort: sit back and take in the view at Williamson Lake and the surrounding campground.
Visiting in the winter? You’ll want to base yourself in the south of the city – close to Revelstoke Mountain Resort! The only ski resort in the city, it offers free skiing, ski and snowboard lessons and unbeatable aprés-ski facilities. There are plenty of chairlifts dotted around the neighbourhood, so you’re never more than ten minutes away from the piste.
South Revelstoke is also convenient for quick visits as the airport is a mere ten-minute walk from the ski resort. You’ll notice in the winter that this is a much livelier neighbourhood than the City Centre, with plenty of bars letting you unwind after a long day of hitting the slopes.
Scenic Campervan in Revelstoke Mountain Resort: Lake Revelstoke Glamping
Camping is a great way to explore Canada’s natural beauty, but it can seem daunting if you are new to the experience. Thankfully, this luxury campervan close to Revelstoke Mountain Resort is the perfect introduction to this type of travel. You’ll have everything you could possibly need – from firewood to showers. It’s right next to the lake, so you’ll wake up to mesmerising views every morning.
Idyllic Chalet in Revelstoke Mountain Resort: Powder Chalet
Nestled among the native forest of British Columbia, this charming little chalet is ideal for a relaxing break among the mountains. Skiers will also love how close this home is to the chairlift, taking you to the slopes in less than ten minutes! Don’t be fooled by the rustic architecture; the ultra-modern interiors are stylish and modern.
Luxurious Hotel in Revelstoke Mountain Resort: Sutton Place Hotel
This isn’t just the only five-star hotel in Revelstoke – it’s also the best-rated accommodation right in the heart of the mountain resort area! With an outdoor pool and ski hire facilities, it’s easy to see why so many guests opt to splash out on Sutton Place – but we also adore the small extras. Guests are given complimentary cheese and wine on arrival, plus additional goodies throughout their stay.
Things to See and Do in Revelstoke Mountain Resort
- Go on a trip to nearby Greenslide – this laid-back spot by the side of the river is the starting point for many hiking trails into the mountains.
- Take to the skies with Heli Canada Adventures. Alongside stunning viewpoints of the region, you can try heli-skiing from one of their choppers.
- Revelstoke Ski Touring let you take a guided tour of the best slopes in the mountain resort – ideal for beginners and families.
- The Twisted Berry Frozen Yoghurt Company have froyo so delicious that you’ll forgive them for serving it up in the middle of winter.
- Warm up at La Baguette Catering – a small café at the bottom of the slopes offering beverages from local coffee roasters, Stoke Roasted.
FAQ about Finding a Place to Stay in Revelstoke
Here’s what people usually ask us about the areas of Revelstoke and where to stay.
Final Thoughts on Where To Stay in Revelstoke?
Revelstoke is a true hidden gem in the heart of some of the most beautiful scenery in British Columbia! It has a more authentic culture than some of the larger tourist towns and is surrounded by hectares of unspoiled scenery.
With staycations being the most popular option this year, we reckon Revelstoke is an excellent choice for adventurous travellers in Canada.
We don’t like to play favourites, and our top overall neighbourhood pick really depends on what time of year you are visiting. The City Centre is perfect for lakeside activities, making it ideal for summer and fall vacations.
We hope this guide has helped you figure out your itinerary for your upcoming trip to the Mount Revelstoke National Park area.
Did we miss anything? Let us know in the comments.
And don’t forget to take out Travel Insurance for your trip! I have been using World Nomads for some time now and made a few claims over the years. They’re easy to use, professional and relatively affordable. They may also let you buy or extend a policy once you’ve started your trip and are already abroad which is super handy.
Getting an estimate from World Nomads is simple – just click the button or image below, fill out the necessary info, and you’re on your way!
Do you own an awesome hostel, hotel or apartment? Want to be featured in our list? Email [email protected] to find out how.
Find out how YOU can support the site.
We work hard to put out the best backpacker resources on the web for free! It’s all about helping out our tribe of awesome backpacker readers (that’s you!). Please visit the link to find out how you can help keep the site going 🙂
For the sake of transparency, some of the links in our content are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation, buy a piece of gear, or sort your insurance through our link, we earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. We only link to stuff that members of the Broke Backpacker team has actually used and never endorse products or services that are not up to scratch. Thanks for your support!