Wisconsin Dells is a small city in the South of Wisconsin. It’s home to a fantastic array of attractions that lure in thousands of visitors each year, as well as a number of popular theme parks. Some of the most popular parks include Mt. Olympus Water and Theme Park, and Noah’s Ark Water Park.
Despite hosting a lot to visitors, it is a pretty small town with a tiny population of about 2,841 (c. 2019). So, you won’t have to worry about being located too far from all the action.
With that said, it’s essential to choose the right location and accommodation for your needs. That’s where we come in! In this article, we’ve put together the best places to stay in Wisconsin Dells – so all you have to worry about is which theme park to go to first!
- Where to Stay in Wisconsin Dells
- Wisconsin Dells Neighborhood Guide
- Wisconsin Dells’ Top 3 Neighborhoods to Stay in
- 1. Downtown – Best Place to Stay for a First Timer in Wisconsin Dells
- 2. Lake Delton – Best Place to Stay on a Budget in Wisconsin Dells
- 3. Mt Olympus – Best Area for Families in Wisconsin Dells
- Final Thoughts on Where to Stay in Wisconsin Dells
Where to Stay in Wisconsin Dells
Best Airbnb in Wisconsin Dells: Glacier Canyon
If you’re looking for a fantastic Wisconsin Dells Airbnb, you’ll adore the Glacier Canyon. Its got an incredible location, superb amenities, and surrounds numerous restaurants and theme parks. It also throws in 10 free waterpark passes for you to use throughout your stay – what’s not to love?
Best Airbnb in Wisconsin Dells: Lagoon Tiny Home
This Airbnb is the ultimate relaxed spot to enjoy your trip in the Dells. At Lagoon Tiny Home, you’ll enjoy an excellent location beside Dells’ only Natural Lagoon. There’s a fantastic swimming pool, plenty of outdoor space, and basketball courts on site.
Best Hotel in Wisconsin Dells: Clarion Hotel & Suites
There aren’t many waterpark hotels like this in Wisconsin Dells. Featuring swimming pools, an on-site restaurant and a nearby bowling alley, this is the ultimate spot for an active, but easy-going, vacation in the Dells.
In a place full of theme parks and resorts, knowing exactly where to stay in Wisconsin Dells can be tricky. However, it’s easy to get around by car once you have your base – so you won’t have to miss out on any of the fun!
Downtown Wisconsin Dells
The best place to stay in the Wisconsin Dells for a first visit is in Downtown Wisconsin Dells. You’ll next to a variety of accommodation, and you’re only a short distance from all the surrounding attractions.
Lake Delton is a fantastic area to stay if you’re looking for budget options. In addition, Lake Delton is close to many of the best attractions in Wisconsin Dells, plus all the theme parks, bars, and restaurants.
Mt Olympus is an excellent area for families because it’s home to many of the top attractions for children. The area is home to the famous Mt. Olympus Theme Park, where you’ll find endless water-based attractions and fun for the family.
Lake Delton is a popular village with a population of just under 3,000 people – which happens to be the largest community in the city. You can easily visit all of the top Wisconsin Dells attractions from Lake Delton, and it’s the ideal quiet place for families and an affordable spot for those travelling on a budget.
Nearby attractions include Noah’s Ark Waterpark, Kalahari Resorts Dells, and the Wilderness Resorts.
If you’re looking to be close by to the best attractions, you’ll love staying in Downtown Wisconsin Dells. It is a walkable area with lots of shops, delicious restaurants, and relaxing places to sit. A perfect place to buy a souvenir is 38 Broadway Gifts, where you’ll find an array of gifts, jewellery, and souvenirs to remember your visit.
Downtown is also home to the Asgard Underworld Arcade Bar. In here, you’ll find a retro underworld arcade and Downtown’s only unlimited arcade.
The best spot for families is the Chalet Lanes & Lounge, where you’ll find delicious buffets, bowling alleys, and multiple community events.
Mt Olympus is a phenomenal resort if you want to be next to the best theme parks and water parks. You’ll find great hotels around the resort, and excellent motel buildings, amusement park rides, and water attractions.
Mt Olympus is close by to everything Wisconsin Dells has to offer, and is just a short walk from Downtown and Lake Delton.
Wisconsin Dells’ Top 3 Neighborhoods to Stay in
The best place to stay in the Wisconsin Dells for a first time visit is in Downtown. Filled with a variety of accommodation, it is only a short distance from all the surrounding attractions and is perfect for those looking to be next to the best restaurants, bars, shops, and entertainment options.
Downtown is a short 15-minute drive from all the theme parks, and has a stellar public transport system for getting anywhere you want to go.
Best Airbnb in Downtown: Glacier Canyon
A fantastic Airbnb in Downtown is the Glacier Canyon. It is close to all of the best downtown attractions, and has a lot of space to relax.
The space is only a 2-minute walk from multiple theme parks and waterparks, and you get up to 10 free waterpark passes if you stay here!
There are various restaurants and snack bars at the theme parks, so you’ll never struggle to find tasty food nearby.
Best Motel in Downtown: Black Hawk Motel
Black Hawk Motel, is in the heart of Downtown. The motel is one of the highest-rated places to stay in the area, and is home to tons of amenities and benefits for guests.
You’ll get free admission to various local attractions including the Tom Foolery Adventure Park and the Free Timbavati Wildlife Park.
Best Hotel in Downtown: Woodside Dells Hotel & Suites
If you’re looking for a superb location in the heart of Downtown, you’ll love the Woodside Dells Hotel & Suites. Guests are a short walk from the best downtown spots, as well as shops, bars, and restaurants.
Plus, you can effortlessly get to the surrounding theme parks and significant attractions of Wisconsin Dells.
Things to See and Do in Downtown:
- Visit the Asgard Axe Throwing venue, a place specialising in axe throwing competitions
- Play ten-pin bowling at the Chalet Lanes and Lounge with family and friends
- Take a tour of the Dells Mining Company, where you’ll get a fantastic insight into the local industry
- Explore the haunted mansion of Wisconsin Dells, ideal for anyone looking for some scary entertainment, and just a short walk from the main downtown area
- Play some indoor mini-golf at the Wild Fun Zone, where you can enjoy giant arcade with so many games for the kids to enjoy!
- Witness the history of Wisconsin Dells at the Ripley’s Believe it or Not Museum. It includes various exhibitions aimed at families, and has multiple illusions and interactive displays
- Take the children to the Asgard Underworld Arcade Bar. Visitors love the option of playing awesome games, such as Mario-Kart, Pac-Man, and Donkey Kong, to name but a few!
2. Lake Delton – Best Place to Stay on a Budget in Wisconsin Dells
Lake Delton is a fantastic area to stay for those on a budget. It is close to many of the best attractions in Wisconsin Dells, plus all the theme parks, bars, and restaurants. Visitors love to explore the man-made freshwater lake. It was built back in 1927 when the town wanted to lure tourists to the area.
Lake Delton has lots of places to stay, from luxury hotels to budget guesthouses. The area remains popular because of the great restaurants and bars nearby.
Best Airbnb in Lake Delton: Lagoon Tiny Home
If you’re looking for an idyllic budget Airbnb in Lake Delton—Lagoon Tiny Home is an great option for you. It is ideally located close to all public transport options, and just a short drive from the other areas.
You get the entire house to yourself, and the host is committed to the 5-step enhanced cleaning process. Not bad for a budget option!
Best Motel in Lake Delton: Colonial Motel
If you’re looking for a superb budget motel in the Lake Delton area, you will struggle to beat the Colonial Motel. Located close to the lake and next to all the public transport, it is easy to explore Downtown and other surrounding areas.
Plus, it’s only a short distance from the theme parks!
Best Hotel in Lake Delton: Clarion Hotel & Suites
It is hard to find a better budget hotel in Lake Delton than the Clarion Hotel & Suites. The excellent location and beautiful style of the hotel makes it stand out from the rest.
There are a vast range of amenities available at a very affordable price, and you’re only 1.5 kilometres away from the Kalahari Theme Park.
If you fancy playing some ten-pin bowling, the hotel is right next to the Knuckleheads Bowling Alley.
Things to See and Do in Lake Delton:
- Explore the stunning architecture of the Seth Peterson Cottage. You’ll love the modern-movement style of architecture if you’re a fan of Frank Lloyd Wright’s work! You can also stay overnight if you wish as the cottage hosts overnight guests
- Take a ride on ziplines with Bigfoot Zipline Tours. The massive ziplines whizz over gorgeous Wisconsin nature at fast speeds
- Play some bowing at the local Knuckleheads Bowling Alley. They also have a trampoline park—ideal for those travelling with kids!
- Explore the Al Ringling Museum, filled with exhibits detailing the life of Al Ringling, and visit the historic place where he lived
- Take a tour with the Dells Army Ducks, where you can ride around Lake Delton on a World War II duck boat! Find 14,000-year-old rock formations, and marvel at the beauty of the surrounding nature
3. Mt Olympus – Best Area for Families in Wisconsin Dells
Staying close by to Mt Olympus is excellent for families as it’s home to many of the child-friendly hot spots including the famous Mt. Olympus Theme Park, filled with endless water-based rides and fun for all the family.
The most popular rides inside the waterpark include the Mayan Raging River, Hispaniola Bay, the Anaconda Tube Slide, and the Boa Slide.
Mt Olympus is close by to Downtown and Lake Delton for those who want to explore.
For the international visitors, check out our USA Safety Guide for some extra tips and information to ensure a safe holiday.
Best Airbnb in Mt Olympus: Polynesian Hotel & Suites in Wisconsin Dells 3
The best Airbnb for families is the Polynesian Hotel & Suites in Wisconsin Dells 3. It offers a wide variety of room styles including king rooms, two-bedroom suites, and queen rooms. So there’s plenty of space for large families.
Located right next to Mt Olympus Water Park, you can drive to nearby Downtown and Lake Delton in a matter of minutes.
Best Hotel in Mt Olympus: Quality Inn & Suites
If you’re looking for an excellent hotel in the Mt Olympus area, you’ll love Quality Inn & suites. They have special spacious rooms aimed for families to ensure a comfortable stay for all. The hotel is only a 5-minute walk from the Mt Olympus Waterpark and a mere 6-minute drive from Noah’s Ark Waterpark.
Plus, guests get an incredible array of amenities throughout their stay!
Best Resort in Mt Olympus: Mt. Olympus Water Park and Theme Park Resort
For an exciting place to stay within the Mt. Olympus area, the theme park’s official resort is a fun and central option. The location is ideal for families as you can easily hop on to the local public transport to Downtown and Lake Delton.
The hotel sits beside all the best Mt. Olympus spots, including Rick Wilcox Magic Theatre and the Mt. Olympus Water Park.
Things to See and Do in Mount Olympus:
- Watch some fantastic local performances at the Rick Wilcox Magic Theatre. There is a wide range of entertainment, from comedy to performing arts
- Take a ride on the go-karts at the Big Chief Go Karts range. It is an excellent activity if you have kids. You can stand by and supervise from the side of the track as your children have fun
- Have an adventure on the big-ropes course. The aerial adventure park is themed on the WWII Normandy Beach invasion
- Check out the alligators at the Alligator Alley Adventures. You can feed the alligators under guided supervision from the expert on-hand staff
Final Thoughts on Where to Stay in Wisconsin Dells
Wisconsin Dells is a small city, but there are so many excellent places to stay. The most popular area is Downtown as you can find great accommodation, and be very close to the area’s fabulous restaurants, bars, and shops.
On the other hand, if you’d prefer a quieter stay within a tight budget, you’ll love Lake Denton as it’s more secluded yet still has excellent things to do. You can also explore the nearby lake, and its just a quick ride on the local public transportation to other parts of the city!
Wisconsin Dells is a fun place to stay for families with children, and travellers of all ages.
Don’t forget to take out Travel Insurance for your trip! I have been using World Nomads for some time now and made a few claims over the years. They’re easy to use, professional and relatively affordable. They may also let you buy or extend a policy once you’ve started your trip and are already abroad, which is super handy.
Getting an estimate from World Nomads is simple—just click the button or image below, fill out the necessary info, and you’re on your way!
Do you own an awesome hostel, hotel or apartment? Want to be featured in our list? Email [email protected] to find out how.
Find out how YOU can support the site.
We work hard to put out the best backpacker resources on the web for free! It’s all about helping out our tribe of awesome backpacker readers (that’s you!). Please visit the link to find out how you can help keep the site going 🙂
For the sake of transparency, some of the links in our content are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation, buy a piece of gear, or sort your insurance through our link, we earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. We only link to stuff that members of the Broke Backpacker team has actually used and never endorse products or services that are not up to scratch. Thanks for your support!